A New Allman Brothers Album

12 Posts
5 Users
2 Likes
rationalrebel
(@rationalrebel)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hopefully that got your attention haha. I believe this has been expressed on here before, as the last version of the band never released a studio album after Hitting the Note, but what about all the new songs and covers after that. Surely there is a good live version of each song that could be compiled to make an album of unreleased material; I feel the next generation will not hear most of these songs unless they dig deep: please feel free to add what songs I left off below

Egypt

Spots of Time

Bag End

Dusk til Dawn

Blind Willie McTell

I Found a Love

44 Blues

re--release newer version of True Gravity

Who's Been Talking

1983 (A Merman I Should Turn to Be)

Feel Like Breaking Up Somebody's Home

That's What Love Will Make You Do

Rain

**Warren and the team, whoever reads this please tell Santa to put this in my stocking this Christmas Smile Oh, and maybe a remastered Jack era show too...

This topic was modified 3 years ago by rationalrebel

Posted : June 16, 2021 3:20 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Unfortunately it seems Ramblin' Man, Statesboro Blues, Midnight Rider, Jessica, One Way Out etc, etc has to be on any release.

The tracks you listed would be bought by you and me and maybe a thousand others which is not enough sales unless the people running what's left of the band are willing to release a CD that is not expected to sell but a few thousand copies at best. 

A package of that list of songs plus one of the real good Jack Pearson shows with Blue Sky, Whipping Post, Liz Reed etc on it might mean more sales and it too would be a package I'd buy. 

Jack sang Dimples on many of his shows which may have been the first time Dimples was played by the band after Duane Allman died. 

Jack Pearson is a fine guitarist and a great slide player but he seems to always fly under the radar. I understand from what I've read Jack has never really gotten into the kind of money that his talent deserves. I would like to see Jack get out of the clubs and get a gig in The Stones or even Widespread Panic so he can get some good paychecks. 

Maybe he could get beyond those $80.00 Squire guitars then:) 

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : June 16, 2021 5:37 pm
rationalrebel
(@rationalrebel)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

@robertdee great point on the sales issue. Indeed if they put a Liz Reed & Dreams (Jack specialties) on there, and maybe a Les Brers from Jimmy H era or sit-in that could boost it and give it some more authenticity 

Jack (recent birthday boy Smile ) is indeed one of the finest players on the planet. We were laughing some time ago when he found a Squire Tele, that unlike the $97 strats, went for like $119 and he made a reference that he splurged. Good laughs. 

It would be interesting to see him join a band like Chuck has with the Stones; but one issue is he cannot fly, which would make it difficult to do large tours, particularly if they were global. Can't wait see him again hopefully soon, such a nice guy and wonderful person.

Hope all is well. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by rationalrebel

Posted : June 16, 2021 5:53 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Jimmy Herring is on a good Les Brer I was grooving too a couple weeks ago. Yeah have a double CD release and put a song or two with Jimmy. Actually Warren was in the band in 2000 but often I see in print Warren in the band 1989-1997 and 2000 to 2014. 2001 to 2014 to be exact. Total of 21 years. Derek was in the band for 15 years. 

The big guitar store in my town has never heard of Jack. The guys and one woman there disagree with Jack about Squires. They claim Fender's economy version of Strats and Telecasters under the Squire name are no good. Squire was the make of a guitar string brand Fender bought out and eventually changed the name of the strings to Fender. When they decided to make their own cheap copies of their guitars to compete with fake copies of their instruments in foreign countries they used the Squire name. Supposedly all Fender cheap guitars are made in foreign countries and Jack has acknowledged that stating the ones out of Singapore though are are good guitars. The Mexican made guitars are several hundred dollars and carry the Fender name but supposedly not as good as American made Fenders. 

The guitar store here recommends Gibson's cheap version as decent guitars for the money but not Fenders. I looked at an Epiphone Les Paul the other day. Nice sunburst finish, Les Paul's name, good tone but Epiphone in place of Gibson and hundreds of dollars cheaper. But Epiphone is NOT as cheap as Squire. I've like to own a Les Paul. Many have great fat  tones. 

This store is big on Taylor guitars. They insist the electrics are very good and the acoustic Taylor guitars are the finest on the market. Better instruments than Martin and Gibson acoustics. That is difficult to believe.  

Jack with a $86 dollar Squire Strat made in Singapore. 

This Fender Stratocaster has one of the best tones of any electric guitar I've ever heard. And it's not cheap. Jimmy Herring ordered it from the Fender custom shop in California to Jimmy's exact specifications including TWO HUMBUCKERS instead of three single coil pickups. Seymour Duncan makes some great replacement single coil pickups for $99.00 dollars. Or their Seymour Duncan Zephyr humbuckers for Stratocasters for $955.95. Jack insists his Stratocaster and Telecaster Squires have stock pickups and the entire guitar is less than $100.00!! Jack's set up does mess with the mind doesn't it:) Apparently Jack could bridge and string a shovel with some tuners and sound better than a lot of us. Especially me!!

This post was modified 3 years ago 3 times by robertdee

Posted : June 16, 2021 6:30 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

I get you're just spit-balling on a quiet day, but a compilation of songs that are already available on any number of Munck shows and written by other artists isn't likely going to happen.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : June 17, 2021 10:06 am
hotlantatim
(@hotlantatim)
Prominent Member

I've made this point before....that another record would have been great.    Butch was firmly against it or it would have likely happened, IMO. 

They also had some really great new song segments/ideas that they put into existing songs (Rockin Horse instrumental section where Derek would solo and a new coda on No One To Run With that Warren lead) that would have been the basis for really good songs.  You could imagine a gregg vocal melody singing over both.  

An album that had some new writing like that with some covers plus some of the other originals that brought out (Spots of Time, Dusk Till Dawn) could have made for another really good album.   And could have included Chuck & Jack on a few different songs with the other 7 guys.  They had Derek's studio to use.....what could have been!!

That said, in the mid to late 80s who would have believed they would have had the 25 year run they did that included 4 solid studio albums (that had some incredible songs), so many great live performances, TV performances, live albums, DVDs, Beacon runs, Wanee etc etc.   Is was not expected and was a great ride....and only enhanced the legacy of the band.

Posted : June 17, 2021 4:37 pm
harvey and PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@hotlantatim 

Agree. The Allman Brothers were almost always about their own material, outside of old blues covers. The covers they were adding to their live sets over the last decade were to keep it interesting for the players, but I can't imagine much of that would ever make it on an ABB studio album. We were lucky to get Hittin' the Note, which itself was a pastiche of a handful of new songs and material that got dusted off.

I wouldn't just blame Butch for no new ABB studio album - that would be somewhat ironic since everyone else was ready to let it go after 2009. Most band members' creative energies were focused elsewhere.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : June 17, 2021 5:14 pm
rationalrebel
(@rationalrebel)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

@porkchopbob yea I realize that half the songs on there were new covers, but then again their greatest live album ever from '71 was half covers (Statesboro, Trouble No More, Done Somebody Wrong, You Don't Love Me, Stormy Monday, etc) done their own way. I do like @HotlantaTim's idea of how they added parts to Rocking Horse and No One Left to Run With. And songs like Seven Turns and True Gravity made their way back around in the latter years. As most of us probably do, I have plenty of copies of Egypt and Bag End, just wish they were on something more formal for the non deep-divers like us haha. Random thought while typing, I don't think I ever heard them play Maydell live, did they much? There's also some Desdemona's that got very straight jazz with some 'My Favorite Things' all over it. Lastly, there were some Little Martha's that were electric and and even included most the band, quite different than the original. Anyways, we can keep dreaming. Hope everyone has a good weekend. 

Posted : June 18, 2021 10:48 am
rationalrebel
(@rationalrebel)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Also the '05 shows where Jack subbed they played 'I Can Fix It', would be cool to get that on an a formal release. He also sang Dimples again a couple nights. And the 2000 "who's the f%$&ing Phish fan" jam hah, some cool stuff from that summer with Jimmy on it. 

Posted : June 18, 2021 10:56 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob  You are correct. According to interviews I read with Warren and Derek, they were ready to move on to their other bands and plans after the 2009 shows. But Butch got cold feet and talked them into giving him 5 more years. When 2014 then rolled around Butch was getting cold feet again so Warren and Derek jointly released at statement they would leave the Allman Brothers Band after the 2014 shows and apparently Gregg wanted out too so that was that. 

But Gregg did announce about 2007 I think it was the Allman Brothers Band will be doing another album. But the guy doing the interview said "Butch Trucks said the band would never do another studio album. Not enough sales to make it worthwhile". And Gregg retorted " There WILL be another Brothers album and we will record it without Butch if necessary". 

But as with other announcements from Gregg, it as we all know never happened. 

I don't know about Jaimoe, Marc and Otiel but apparently Butch was about the only member who wanted to keep the band together after 2010. 

After the last show in 2014, Butch did say because of Gregg's health problems they never got to the extensive tour they planned before hanging it up and other than the Beacon, they had not done a big tour in sometime and he hoped the guys would agree to do a big multi city shed tour before they retired the Allman Brothers. That of course never happened. Gregg's health? No interest by the others? Or a bit of both?

Posted : June 19, 2021 10:29 am
linus
(@linus)
Trusted Member

A number of these deserved a studio version.  I think right before they would have gone in Warren would have gone to Greggs house and plundered Greggs book of partial songs the way they did for Old Before My Time.  I think that would have been good for 2 new songs.  Add to 

Gilded Splinters

Rivers Gonna Rise

Egypt

Bag End

Blind Willie McTell

Gilded splinters and Blind Willie are covers that the band made their own.  I think studio versions of those songs would add depth to the live versions.  These would be roughly 40 minutes of music, which would have been a full record in the first vinyl era.  Add the two prospective compositions from Greg’s book of partial songs and you are at full project

that gives you a killer product, maybe as good as Hitting The Note

Posted : June 26, 2021 9:23 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@linus Not bad. So many "what ifs" with the ABB. Gregg was well known for putting songs aside until the right ideas for finishing it came around. Also Gregg had, in his last 25 years, had been finishing songs turned over to him.  Good Clean Fun, End of The Line ( Woody said he much of the music and words with John Jaworowicz and gave it to Warren who added some cool changes and lyrics. It may be this song was an idea Woody got from a Jaworowicz song as he had written for and with Muddy Waters years ago and John qualified for a credit) Anyway the song was finally given to Gregg and Woody said he cut it down and arranged it into a tighter more fluid composition. Shaping it into a very good song. 

Also Gregg was given a song by Neal Schon and Johnathan Caine of Journey that wasn't ready and finished it. Temptation Was A Gun must be it. The story I read in the mid 90:s oddly didn't mention the songs name.  Gregg also finished up All Night Train by Warren and Chuck Leavell. 

Hitting the Note wasn't as good as Eat A Peach, Idlewild South or Brothers and Sisters but it was better than other ABB albums such as Reach For The Sky, Brothers Of The Road and even Seven Turns to me ( probably a tie as Good Clean Fun, Seven Turns and True Gravity are as good or better than anything on Note).

Well my take but yes the album you imagined Iinus would have been a very good album. 

Posted : June 27, 2021 12:12 pm
Share: