49 years

7 Posts
7 Users
2 Likes
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Brother Duane has been gone 49 years today. So sad. I'll be playing Skydog today as I have for years now.  

Posted : October 29, 2020 6:57 am
owencarol reacted
owencarol
(@owencarol)
Estimable Member

My plan as well!

Posted : October 29, 2020 7:26 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@owencarol The Final Note is good for this anniversary. Duane, Dickey and the other four are really hitting the note. But the fidelity is lacking. To me it's not a CD I would play when relaxing around the house or in my car. But when remembering Duane it is perfect. 

Posted : October 29, 2020 11:21 am
harvey reacted
goldtop
(@goldtop)
Noble Member

Today I broke out American University and the Mtn Jam from the Wharehouse in March of 71....RIP Duane...

Posted : October 30, 2020 12:05 am
Wooddog
(@wooddog)
Trusted Member

I listened to the Final Note yesterday evening as well. Absolutely amazing. As someone who remembers that sad day in 1971 only too well, listening to what Duane played 12 days earlier is a gift. I listened to the music, not really the audio. A couple of things: That venue had a revolving stage which, combined with a capacity of 2400 or so seats, created a very intimate vibe. With each rotation, the players see a new friend getting into it. While not exactly like being in a club, it wasn't far from it. It makes you want to play well, and they killed it. Fastest "One Way Out" I've ever heard. Ha! Also, they were going home. The last show before a break is usually a fun gig. You want to do a good one and then hit it. Plus, Painter's Mill most always had two shows. That would explain the one hour length on this set, which I assume was the second show. I love it. This gig, to me, shows why the original six are what they are, the greatest band to ever take the stage! It's all good. 

Posted : October 30, 2020 9:34 am
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Noble Member

I spun Duane's Anthology Vol. 1 yesterday and today.  Heck of a player!

Posted : October 30, 2020 7:15 pm
steadyhorse
(@steadyhorse)
Reputable Member

For my Duane fix I played the first AAB album and listened to Live from Stonybrook 9.19.71

Posted : October 30, 2020 10:40 pm
Share: