New Country Reccos?

6 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

I’d like to start a thread with recommendations for good contemporary country artists.  I’ve been in a rut lately looking for someone new. 

Here’s who I’ve been digging — and certainly happy to provide any of my thoughts on any of these folks — so anyone in this vein would be awesome:

Sturg

Stapleton

Brent Cobb

Lukas Nelson

Kevin Galloway

I’m into some of the old-timers too, but would really like to hear some more of the under-40 set  

Although, speaking of old-timers, Loretta Lynn’s new album is fantastic  

Posted : October 29, 2020 10:09 pm
Psy
 Psy
(@psy)
Reputable Member

I've been digging The Mallett Brothers Band out of Portland, Maine, since I first heard them 5 or 6 years ago.

I've seen them perform live a couple of times and thought they were quite good. I've also purchased several of their albums and thoroughly enjoy all of them.

Not sure if they'd be your cup of musical tea but here you go...

Posted : October 30, 2020 10:27 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Since the demise of my favorite band, I have become a GIGANTIC Marty Stuart (and the Fabulous Superlatives) fan.  All of their stuff is beyond fantastic, but the most recent ("Way Out West") exceeds C&W and borders on downright trippy in places.  "The Pilgrim" is another worth jumping off your couch, putting on a Covid mask and running into your nearest record store for, too.

I've had the opportunity to see them on 3 occasions so far - including an Atlanta show that featured Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman of the Byrds.  I believe that this might be the best show that I've ever seen!  

Edit to add:  also, Marty Stuart and Kenny Vaughn are two of the most amazing guitarists you'll ever see  - anywhere - any  style!  I guarantee it!

Posted : October 30, 2020 12:12 pm
redhouse1969
(@redhouse1969)
Reputable Member

The above mentioned are very good... I would add Tyler Childers to the list for sure... 

Posted : October 31, 2020 12:33 pm
a_shell reacted
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

@redhouse1969

yes. My bad in the original. Like Childers too!!

saw him open for Sturg back in March (my last night out before Covid shutdown) and Tyler stole the show. 

Also, Sturg just released a new bluegrass record of re-do’s of his previous songs. It’s fantastic. Called “Cuttin’ the Grass.”

Posted : October 31, 2020 10:27 pm
Psy
 Psy
(@psy)
Reputable Member

Here's another band I thought of from another Portland. The Rose City band out of Portland, Oregon. More in the "psychedelic country" style. This one has a bit of an early 70's Grateful Dead vibe to it...

Posted : November 1, 2020 4:05 pm
Share: