The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

Why no live Delaney and Bonnie with Duane?

16 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

There are a couple of live D&B shows with Duane (one also has Kenny Gradney and Sam Clayton) in circulation. Why haven't they ever been commercially released?

Billastro

Posted : October 8, 2015 8:42 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Might well have put on buying shoes if one of these shows had been included with the IdlwldSouth box set, instead of the Ludlow Garage rerelease -- that was remastered once, would be awesome to see 7/22/71 with D&B or the other one receive the same treatment Smile

Posted : October 8, 2015 2:59 pm
njwolf
(@njwolf)
Eminent Member

The July 22, 1971 show that was aired as a radio broadcast is available through Amazon.uk. Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Studios-Delaney-Bonnie-Allman-Brothers/dp/B00WMFP73Q

Posted : October 8, 2015 3:29 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Thanks for posting that njwolf -- & this one too, some time back

the sound quality on this surpasses what I had years ago on tape -- have listened a couple of times now & dangit, this one or the D&B show would have been so much better than the Ludlow rerelease (to go w/the ISouth box set) -- but I also understand that copyright/licensing issues hinder the release of this stuff too -- it's all good

I love the ABB

[Edited on 10/15/2015 by Stephen]

Posted : October 14, 2015 7:20 am
njwolf
(@njwolf)
Eminent Member

I'm not sure why the May 2, 1970, show from Swarthmore, Pa. wasn't selected for the Idlewild South box set. It could be a question of ownership rights or the use of outside musicians (horn player, Thom Doucette) or something else. Perhaps a label in Europe will give it an official release. Whatever, it's a good show to have.

Posted : October 15, 2015 4:49 am
shane-o
(@shane-o)
Trusted Member

there is a capital theatre show from Jan 71 that is smoking!!! with a come in my kitchen where duane plays electric slide and a 19 minute coming home!!!!!!

Posted : December 6, 2015 2:43 am
paulw718
(@paulw718)
Eminent Member

I was looking at the album cover from Amazon and you can enlarge it. So I did. I noticed that Duane seems to be playing a Telecaster. Why do I say this. First, I saw 6 in-line tuners, the standard Fender headstock configuration. Second, There are 2 chrome knobs(1 volume and 1 tone) instead of the 4 plastic Gibson SG knobs. Third, The neck is a bolt on neck, not a set neck. And 4th, even though it is hard to see, the bridge looks like a Tele bridge. In 1971, as far as I know, Duane was playing his Gibson SG for slide and the Les Paul for non-slide. Can anyone explain this?

[Edited on 12/6/2015 by paulw718]

Posted : December 6, 2015 6:57 am
chasenbluesman
(@chasenbluesman)
Estimable Member

I was looking at the album cover from Amazon and you can enlarge it. So I did. I noticed that Duane seems to be playing a Telecaster. Why do I say this. First, I saw 6 in-line tuners, the standard Fender headstock configuration. Second, There are 2 chrome knobs(1 volume and 1 tone) instead of the 4 plastic Gibson SG knobs. Third, The neck is a bolt on neck, not a set neck. And 4th, even though it is hard to see, the bridge looks like a Tele bridge. In 1971, as far as I know, Duane was playing his Gibson SG for slide and the Les Paul for non-slide. Can anyone explain this?

[Edited on 12/6/2015 by paulw718]

If you mean this picture..
(Looks Like Delaney might be playing Duane's Goldtop and Duane's playing slide.)

Its probably George Harrison's Rosewood Telecaster that Harrsison gave to Delaney in 1970.

Harrison's estate bought the guitar back from Brammlet Via Ed Begley Jr in 2003.
(Dhani Harrison with the guitar)

[Edited on 12/7/2015 by chasenbluesman]

Posted : December 6, 2015 1:46 pm
paulw718
(@paulw718)
Eminent Member

YES!!!! That must be it!!!! That is the photo of Duane playing a Tele and that George Harrison Tele that he gave to Delaney DOES look like the one Duane is playing. That clears that up. Duane must have been playing that tele!!!! Thank you!!!!!

[Edited on 12/7/2015 by paulw718]

Posted : December 6, 2015 3:43 pm
homeboy
(@homeboy)
Estimable Member

Nice to see some posts on this forum

Posted : December 7, 2015 6:15 am
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member

A little more info on that Tele.

Posted : December 7, 2015 7:19 am
chasenbluesman
(@chasenbluesman)
Estimable Member

And now for a life time supply of Rice O' Roni...

What is the name of the Strat that George H is playing behind Delaney/next to Clapton?

😀

Posted : December 7, 2015 1:56 pm
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member

Is it Bangladesh?

Posted : December 7, 2015 11:30 pm
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member

Hmm closer look and I think its Rocky.

Posted : December 7, 2015 11:46 pm
chasenbluesman
(@chasenbluesman)
Estimable Member

Hmm closer look and I think its Rocky.

DING..DING.....DING,

Posted : December 8, 2015 5:55 am
Evansf
(@evansf)
Eminent Member

Umm...about the May 2, 1970 Swarthmore show. I see folks making opinions about this show should have been part of the Idlewild South box set instead of the Ludlow show. I have the Swarthmore show; however, at the beginning, "Statesboro Blues" came in close to halfway. There was really no beginning. Could it be that is why they did not include the Swarthmore show? One show that could have been included is the 3-70 Warehouse show. It does not have any incomplete tracks.

Posted : December 8, 2015 10:10 am
Share: