Who speaks for Duane?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
JamesR
(@jamesr)
Topic starter

Who speaks for Duane?

Who is telling his story from his perspective?

What was he like? (Smart, witty, funny, ect?)

What was his life like? Goals? Ambitions?

Who was he closest too? Who were his confidences?

Posted : November 19, 2015 6:46 pm
salcapitano
(@salcapitano)
Estimable Member

Read the book, "Please Be With Me." Written by his daughter. May be as close as you will get to his essence. I also enjoyed Alan Pauls book "One Way Out." Ann Sandlins book " A Never Ending Groove" is also very good.

Posted : November 19, 2015 8:49 pm
homeboy
(@homeboy)
Estimable Member

Read the book, "Please Be With Me." Written by his daughter. May be as close as you will get to his essence. I also enjoyed Alan Pauls book "One Way Out." Ann Sandlins book " A Never Ending Groove" is also very good.

Yes, those are all very good books. That should answer your questions, JamesR

Posted : November 20, 2015 12:28 am
JamesR
(@jamesr)
Topic starter

Thank You for your responses.

I have read both of the books suggested and it seemed to me that they were not written from Duanes perspective.

His daughters book seemed to be from hers and her mothers point of view.

I was particularly confused by his daughters reference to his grave marker having a Phoenix on it as it seems to have a Scarab.

Has anything been written by a journalist from Duanes perspective? (More of a biography)

Again thank you for your assistance in addressing my questions.

Posted : November 20, 2015 6:03 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yes, those are all very good books. That should answer your questions, JamesR

X2, and Joseph "Red Dog" Campbell's book "A Book of Tails" should as well -- other sources of info might include No Saints, No Saviors, by Willie Perkins; Midnight Riders, by Scott Freeman; and The Allman Brothers Story, Tom Nolan
A new book, by longtime ABB tour manager Kirk West, is on the way too Grin Grin

Posted : November 20, 2015 6:21 am
paulw718
(@paulw718)
Eminent Member

Not trying to be a negative Nellie here or anything like that but you are not going to find what you are looking for. Duane died in 1971 at the age of 24. He did not write any autobiography. The books that were suggested here are the only way for anyone to learn about Duane and what he was like. Try reading Greg's book, too!!! You will learn everything possible about Duane by reading the books that are currently out there. All those question you are asking are answered in these books.

Posted : November 22, 2015 2:58 pm
Evansf
(@evansf)
Eminent Member

JamesR, Duane was a musician, not an author. It would be very unlikely for someone who is 24 or younger to write his memoirs. There are countless magazines as well as books on the subject of Duane Allman. There are interviews on a couple of recordings I think is called Duane Allman Dialogs. You might want to check that out.
By the way, welcome aboard!

Posted : December 3, 2015 7:56 am
Share: