unreleased duane

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
shane-o
(@shane-o)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

you guys see on the Greg Allman southern blood dvd rick Hall is sitting on a bunch of Duane Outtakes....I guess the tapes need to be bakede at least that's what don was said

Posted : September 18, 2017 1:30 pm
njwolf
(@njwolf)
Eminent Member

It would be nice if the solo album Duane was working on before the formation of the ABB could get an official release with alternate versions and/or jam sessions from Muscle Shoals featuring Berry and Jaimoe included. I wonder if Duane's daughter, Galadrielle, has any interest in getting this music released.

Posted : September 19, 2017 5:19 am
BIGV
 BIGV
(@bigv)
Famed Member

It would be nice if the solo album Duane was working on before the formation of the ABB could get an official release with alternate versions and/or jam sessions from Muscle Shoals featuring Berry and Jaimoe included. I wonder if Duane's daughter, Galadrielle, has any interest in getting this music released.

If I remember clearly, I thought I heard Gregg quoted as saying he either had a version of "Little Martha" with Duane singing the words or that he had the original sheet with Duane's lyrics to the song.

How cool, would that be?

Posted : September 19, 2017 11:46 am
PeachNutt
(@peachnutt)
Reputable Member

I wonder who "owns" the tapes??.... Sure would love to hear them.

Posted : September 19, 2017 4:46 pm
homeboy
(@homeboy)
Estimable Member

If I remember clearly, I thought I heard Gregg quoted as saying he either had a version of "Little Martha" with Duane singing the words or that he had the original sheet with Duane's lyrics to the song.

How cool, would that be?

Very Cool

Posted : September 19, 2017 11:29 pm
njwolf
(@njwolf)
Eminent Member

Regarding the ownership of Duane's solo recordings, I had an email exchange in 2010 with Randy Poe, author of "Skydog." He said that Rhino Records was trying to determine the ownership question. I don't know what the determination was. Jerry Wexler bought Duane's contract from Rick Hall in 1969. Part of the deal included the unreleased recordings. Three songs ("Goin' Down Slow," "Happily Married Man" and "No Money Down" were released in the 1970s on the two Duane Allman anthology albums and later on the "Skydog" box set. "Steal Away," a fourth song from the solo album sessions, was supposed to be on the "Skydog" set but got pulled. I'm not sure why. Maybe the album will come out in 2019 on the 50th anniversary of the recording sessions.

Posted : September 21, 2017 4:40 am
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member

Anybody up for a commando raid? 😉

Billastro

Posted : December 17, 2017 5:23 pm
njwolf
(@njwolf)
Eminent Member

Maybe Bill Levenson or Galadrielle, who put together the Skydog box set, could provide an answer about the status of the unreleased solo album. Maybe someone could ask Galadrielle via Facebook.

Posted : December 19, 2017 4:16 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Regarding the ownership of Duane's solo recordings, I had an email exchange in 2010 with Randy Poe, author of "Skydog." He said that Rhino Records was trying to determine the ownership question. I don't know what the determination was. Jerry Wexler bought Duane's contract from Rick Hall in 1969. Part of the deal included the unreleased recordings. Three songs ("Goin' Down Slow," "Happily Married Man" and "No Money Down" were released in the 1970s on the two Duane Allman anthology albums and later on the "Skydog" box set. "Steal Away," a fourth song from the solo album sessions, was supposed to be on the "Skydog" set but got pulled. I'm not sure why. Maybe the album will come out in 2019 on the 50th anniversary of the recording sessions.

Also, I seem to recall that "Down Along The Cove" was recorded as an instrumental and that that's basically the track, with Johnny Jenkins's vocals, that is on Ton Ton Macoute. Seems to me that Captain Skipper mentioned that to me. Sure wish I could check back with him on that. 🙁

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : December 21, 2017 10:09 am
Share: