Duane meets Clapton

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
paulw718
(@paulw718)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

OK... This may have been discussed in a previous thread but I have not come across it so I am going to ask it. If I am repeating a thread, please forgive me.

The story goes that when Tom Dowd brought Eric Clapton to see the Allman Brothers performing in Miami, when Duane saw Clapton, he stopped playing. Do we know which show that was? Do we know what song the Brothers were playing when this occurred? Do we have that show recorded anywhere? Do we know at what point, precisely, Duane stopped?

OK... There are my questions. If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it.

Posted : February 24, 2018 9:15 am
chasenbluesman
(@chasenbluesman)
Estimable Member

The story goes that when Tom Dowd brought Eric Clapton to see the Allman Brothers performing in Miami, when Duane saw Clapton, he stopped playing. Do we know which show that was?

Reading the time line of the story/s it appears to have been a benefit concert on August 26 in Miami.

Posted : February 24, 2018 10:40 pm
paulw718
(@paulw718)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Reading the time line of the story/s it appears to have been a benefit concert on August 26 in Miami.

Thank you for that info. Is there a recording of this show?

Posted : February 26, 2018 3:10 am
chasenbluesman
(@chasenbluesman)
Estimable Member

Thank you for that info. Is there a recording of this show?

Reading the listing of the known recorded Duane era shows..It appears the show wasn't recorded.

http://www.allmanbrothers.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&fid=15&tid=65824&page=1&orderdate=

Posted : February 26, 2018 11:23 am
paulw718
(@paulw718)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Reading the listing of the known recorded Duane era shows..It appears the show wasn't recorded.

That is unfortunate. Imagine having that moment in music history captured on a recording. Well... Thank you for all the information. It is greatly appreciated.

Posted : February 26, 2018 4:32 pm
chasenbluesman
(@chasenbluesman)
Estimable Member

Well... Thank you for all the information. It is greatly appreciated.

Smile

Posted : February 26, 2018 7:54 pm
SkyDog4President
(@skydog4president)
Trusted Member

Not directly on this topic but definitely related--

Does anybody have a copy (electronic or otherwise) of the Hittin' the Note article entitled “Slowhand Remembers Skydog” by Sam Hare (Edition No. 26)?

I simply have not been able to find a copy of this to read over the last two years. At this point, I'm sure the article itself may even be a let down, but after reading the excerpts in Galadrielle's book, I've considered it a must read ever since. Not looking for a hardcopy, just looking for some new SkyDog readin' material. Can anybody help a brother out?

Posted : February 27, 2018 4:49 pm
PeachNutt
(@peachnutt)
Reputable Member

I'm pretty sure that I still have the magazine. I'd have to look.....

Posted : February 28, 2018 5:27 pm
DuaneFrenchFan
(@duanefrenchfan)

I'd love to have a copy of this!!! Really!!!
Thank you

Posted : July 5, 2019 10:08 am
PeachNutt
(@peachnutt)
Reputable Member

PM me your email address.

Posted : July 5, 2019 11:18 am
DuaneFrenchFan
(@duanefrenchfan)

I'd love to have a copy of this!!! Really!!!
Thank you

Posted : July 5, 2019 11:32 am
tenorsfan
(@tenorsfan)
Estimable Member

Bobby Whitlock did a YouTube about that night.

Posted : August 4, 2019 6:18 pm
tenorsfan
(@tenorsfan)
Estimable Member

Denny Mcfastlane
Denny Mcfastlane
2 years ago (edited)
Here is Greg Allmans side of it, excerpt from Greg's book entitled...'My Cross to Bear'.
On August 26, 1970, we were down in Miami Beach, playing a free gig on a stage that the city set up on a big median on Collins Avenue. We were playing "Don't Keep Me Wondering'", which was next-to-last song of the night. It would segue with a little jam into "Whipping Post," and i looked out over the crowd, and the people were all standing on the grass, listening. Nobody was doing the Grateful Dead waltz, and there weren't no spinners.
I looked over, and i saw this set of beautiful burnt sienna suede boots on this cat who was sitting on the grass with one leg out in front of him. I followed that boot up the pants, up the body to the head, and there was Mr. Eric Clapton. Next to him was Tommy Dowd, grinning like a fucking mule eating in the briars. Jim Gordon, Carl Radle, and Bobby Whitlock were there too--all of the Dominoes, but i didn't recognize them.
After i shit myself, i looked over to Duane, thinking, "I hope to Christ he doesn't see him, because this will either be the finest 'Whipping Post' we'll ever play, or this fucker's going to fall apart." But Duane didn't notice anything, so we finished the show with a real good "Whipping Post," and then Duane eases over to me and said, "Baybrah, dig who the fuck is sitting over there." "Man i saw him two songs ago," I said. "Do you see them fucking boots, man"? Duane had a real thing for clothes back then---we both did.
I'd advise reading this book, it's one of those that's hard to put down once You get going!!! *P.s. At 1:40 Use some common practical logic here--Do You honestly think that being the professional musicians Duane and Dickey already were at the time, that they would stop playing just because they seen...GOD? I mean Eric Clapton---hahahaha. **Whitlock is acting like a... DOMINOGOODNIK!!! hahaha

Posted : August 4, 2019 11:56 pm
tenorsfan
(@tenorsfan)
Estimable Member

I came across this site called The Great Hollywood Hangover that deals with LA in Duane's time. I haven't seen if he gets mentioned but a girl named Kay Poorboy does. She was a dancer, music fan and musician's fan and friend, and was the girl who was included in the photo montage in the Derek and Dominos' LP. It's like she completes the circle of tragedy for that record. She too met a sad end and fairly early. She found Carl Radle's body, and sometime after, maybe a year, shot herself in the heart.

You always hear about a person selling his soul to the devil, but it's as if the whole band got sold, even the girlfriend. Wizardry afoot. I don't know which would be my desert island Duane, his studio, his AB or D and D. I guess I like AB as a whole, but for pure Duane magic, I have to go with D and D. Wizardry.

Posted : August 10, 2019 1:54 pm
WaitinForRain
(@waitinforrain)
Prominent Member

Tommy Dowd has it this way:

Clapton and company managed to sit in front of the barricade separating the audience from the stage. When they sat down, Allman was playing a solo. When he turned around and opened his eyes and saw Clapton, he froze. Dickey Betts, the Allmans' other lead guitarist, took up where Duane left off, but when he followed Allman's eyes to Clapton, he had to turn his back to keep from freezing, himself.[3]
After the show, Allman asked if he could come by the studio to watch some recording sessions, but Clapton invited him there directly: "Bring your guitar; you got to play!" Overnight, the two bonded; Dowd reported that they "were trading licks, they were swapping guitars, they were talking shop and information and having a ball — no holds barred, just admiration for each other's technique and facility."[4] Clapton wrote later in his autobiography that he and Allman were inseparable during the sessions in Florida; he talked about Allman as the "musical brother I'd never had but wished I did."[5]

Posted : August 10, 2019 7:28 pm
Share: