9 Users
0 Likes
10.8 K Views
WillieWilliams
(@williewilliams)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hey guys,
I haven't posted anything on here in, like, a LOOOOONG time! But I've been rediscovering Duane lately and decided to post some youtube vids of me covering some of my favorite Duane parts. So far I've got three posted and hope to do a dozen or so total. Check 'em out and let me know how I did. This is not a money making venture of any sort. Just a total Allman geek who's doing it for the love of keeping Duane's music alive. If any guitar heads out there have any requests, let me know and I'll try to work on 'em.

Thanks!

Statesboro

Stormy Monday

I Am Yours (Derek and the Dominos)

Posted : October 12, 2017 12:31 pm
paulw718
(@paulw718)
Eminent Member

That was fantastic. Really. Kudos. There is one tiny little thing that you have inadvertently left out. At the end of Duane's solo, he hits a "note from hell". That is how Gregg described it. You probably didn't even hear it. I didn't hear it until I heard an interview that Gregg did where he points it out. But. that version of Statesboro blues was so good, they were trying to figure out how to edit that note out but in 1971, they couldn't do it, so they left it in. I suppose you don't have to play the bad note.

You did a fantastic job. The phrasing was spot on. Again, I say KUDOS.

Posted : October 15, 2017 9:29 am
paulw718
(@paulw718)
Eminent Member

The Stormy Monday solo you did was really fantastic. You seem to have nailed Duane's tone and
phrasing and you do the Duane bends just like Duane.

I have been a Duane fan since 1972 and I always appreciate someone that can get the sounds that Duane did. And you have done that. 5 Thumbs up.

Posted : October 15, 2017 9:35 am
paulw718
(@paulw718)
Eminent Member

Your slide on I am yours is great. You have that Duane touch down. Excellent!!!

You said if anyone has any requests you would try and do a video for it. I would like to see
you do Duane's work on Blue Sky. That is such a beautiful song and I love Duane's guitar work
on that song. I would love to see you do Blue Sky.

Posted : October 15, 2017 9:41 am
tenorsfan
(@tenorsfan)
Estimable Member

I loved your videos as well. For me you really brought that I am Yours into focus. I guess I had overlooked that one over the years. The way you brought that out made me come up with my own suggestions. I would love Keys to the Highway from the Curtis Hixon live concert. That or Have You Ever or my particular favourite, Blues Power. The way the poor sound on that recording limits some people from really listening and appreciating what for me is some of Duanes most remarkable solos, well, if you bring them to the forefront with your clear sound, it might almost be like hearing them, for some people, like the first time.

Posted : October 15, 2017 4:39 pm
WillieWilliams
(@williewilliams)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

That was fantastic. Really. Kudos. There is one tiny little thing that you have inadvertently left out. At the end of Duane's solo, he hits a "note from hell". That is how Gregg described it. You probably didn't even hear it. I didn't hear it until I heard an interview that Gregg did where he points it out. But. that version of Statesboro blues was so good, they were trying to figure out how to edit that note out but in 1971, they couldn't do it, so they left it in. I suppose you don't have to play the bad note.

You did a fantastic job. The phrasing was spot on. Again, I say KUDOS.

Thanks man! I knew about the note from hell, but couldn't figure out exactly how it happened, so I just left it out. I bet Duane wasn't too happy about it anyway! LOL. 😀

Posted : October 16, 2017 6:41 am
WillieWilliams
(@williewilliams)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Your slide on I am yours is great. You have that Duane touch down. Excellent!!!

You said if anyone has any requests you would try and do a video for it. I would like to see
you do Duane's work on Blue Sky. That is such a beautiful song and I love Duane's guitar work
on that song. I would love to see you do Blue Sky.

You got it! I'm working on Don't want you/Not my cross right now and should have that one done this week hopefully. But Blue Sky has been added to the list. One of my all time fav's too! I'll post new ones on this thread. Thanks again for the compliments, I've been trying to get Duane's sound for a very long time! ~WW

Posted : October 16, 2017 6:57 am
WillieWilliams
(@williewilliams)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I loved your videos as well. For me you really brought that I am Yours into focus. I guess I had overlooked that one over the years. The way you brought that out made me come up with my own suggestions. I would love Keys to the Highway from the Curtis Hixon live concert. That or Have You Ever or my particular favourite, Blues Power. The way the poor sound on that recording limits some people from really listening and appreciating what for me is some of Duanes most remarkable solos, well, if you bring them to the forefront with your clear sound, it might almost be like hearing them, for some people, like the first time.

That is a GREAT idea. The Tampa show always made me fantasize over what the 2nd D&D album would have been like with DA. Can you imagine clean studio versions of Blues Power, Got to Get Better, etc with Duane?! Holy crap. [sigh...] Anyway, you're right, the audio from that show is so bad I'm not sure I could accurately pull his solos off the recording, but I'd be willing to give it a shot! Added it to the list. Also, I love the way you said "bring into focus." That's a great expression and is exactly what I was trying to do! When I started learning these parts note for note, that's when it really brought his genius into sharp focus for me personally. Without a doubt my favorite all time player. Thanks for the comment my friend. I'll post new vids on this thread. ~WW

Posted : October 16, 2017 7:11 am
paulw718
(@paulw718)
Eminent Member

Thanks man! I knew about the note from hell, but couldn't figure out exactly how it happened, so I just left it out. I bet Duane wasn't too happy about it anyway! LOL.

I am glad that you left it out. And I am sure Duane would be glad, too. You did such a fantastic on the slide that putting in a bad note would take away from your great slide work. Keep posting videos.

Posted : October 16, 2017 12:22 pm
WillieWilliams
(@williewilliams)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hey Gang! Here's Don't Want You/Not My Cross. Up next is Blue Sky by request!

Posted : October 21, 2017 1:13 pm
paulw718
(@paulw718)
Eminent Member

Excellent. I love the way you have Duane's bending technique down so well. I enjoyed that very much! I am looking forward to Blue Sky.

Posted : October 21, 2017 2:24 pm
WillieWilliams
(@williewilliams)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Excellent. I love the way you have Duane's bending technique down so well. I enjoyed that very much! I am looking forward to Blue Sky.

Hey man, since today was the anniversary of Duane's death I decided to put away the electric guitars and pay my respects by doing an acoustic cover of Little Martha. Here it is if you wanna check it out. Even did a little Duane inspired noodling at the end. Cool

I'll get Blue Sky soon, I promise.
WW

Posted : October 29, 2017 8:27 pm
paulw718
(@paulw718)
Eminent Member

Beautiful arrangement. Just beautiful. And it was a fitting tribute to Skydog on the 46th anniversary
of his passing. Thank you for that.

Posted : October 30, 2017 3:29 pm
dzobo
(@dzobo)
Reputable Member

Very nice. Beautiful remembrance of Duane on this anniversary.

Posted : October 30, 2017 4:39 pm
WillieWilliams
(@williewilliams)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys. It's great to know that people still care about Duane's music nearly 50 years after his death. In this modern age of manufactured music where the guitar seems to be dying a slow painful death, I'm doing all I can to keep it alive a little while longer. I've introduced several young people to the ABB, and Duane in particular, and they are always blown away by what they hear. Keep doin' the Lord's work and fightin' the good fight! I'll have some more vids coming soon. Peace.

Posted : November 1, 2017 4:28 pm
tenorsfan
(@tenorsfan)
Estimable Member

Is anyone getting worried about how old Willie's doing out there? Been awhile. Was so looking forward to some more Duane videos. He rightfully claimed 'doing the Lord's work" and so would say ol' Duane, I'm sure, being the teacher and helper that he was, but I'm not so sure about the rest of the gods. They seem to like to keep the mortals from rising to high, from knowing too much, just like the one percenters. Listening to Duane play, one feels he's learning the secrets of the universe. Hope Uncle Willie keeps his head down.

[Edited on 1/4/2018 by tenorsfan]

Posted : January 4, 2018 1:25 pm
WillieWilliams
(@williewilliams)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Is anyone getting worried about how old Willie's doing out there? Been awhile. Was so looking forward to some more Duane videos. He rightfully claimed 'doing the Lord's work" and so would say ol' Duane, I'm sure, being the teacher and helper that he was, but I'm not so sure about the rest of the gods. They seem to like to keep the mortals from rising to high, from knowing too much, just like the one percenters. Listening to Duane play, one feels he's learning the secrets of the universe. Hope Uncle Willie keeps his head down.

[Edited on 1/4/2018 by tenorsfan]

Hey Tenors! Doing fine. Sorry about the radio silence. The holidays came around and December pretty much vanished. That's how it goes I guess. Anyway, I recently accepted the slide role in a Richmond, VA based ABB tribute band called Skydog which is REALLY good. So I've been woodshedding my ass off trying to prepare for that gig. Here's a sample of their stuff. I'm telling ya, they are tight and doing it right!! The guy you see in this vid playing slide is leaving and the timing just worked out for me to join.

I'm still gonna do more Duane vids, but just haven't had the time to do a real one lately. Here's a quick and dirty iPhone rendition of Done Somebody Wrong til I get a chance to do something better. Hope everyone's 2018 is off to a great start. Wail on!

Posted : January 8, 2018 1:33 pm
WillieWilliams
(@williewilliams)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hey guys, I wanted to post this clip of my ABB tribute band Skydog. This was from sound check at our gig in Wilmington, NC this past Friday. I was going to post this in Anything Goes, but wasn't sure if it was cool to post about tribute bands on the forum. Anybody know anything about that? Let me know what you think of the clip. Thanks! ~Willie

Posted : August 19, 2018 8:13 am
scotiadave
(@scotiadave)
Estimable Member

Willie, exceptional work on all fronts. You’ve made me realise that i’ve never learned one Duane solo/piece properly and it’s all down to listening carefully - which I now know that I must never have had. Very interesting channel, thank you.

Posted : September 7, 2018 11:38 pm
WillieWilliams
(@williewilliams)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hey folks, here's Duane's solo from Elizabeth Reed at the Fillmore. I'm pretty sure all these fingerings are exact. I scrutinized the hell out of this thing! Enjoy!

Posted : January 25, 2019 4:03 pm
sckeys
(@sckeys)
Honorable Member

Another great one Willie. You have a good ear for details. Thanks!

Posted : January 25, 2019 4:41 pm
PeachNutt
(@peachnutt)
Reputable Member

Excellent!!!!

Posted : January 25, 2019 7:18 pm
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member

Fantastic Willie! Brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing.

Posted : January 26, 2019 2:11 am
WillieWilliams
(@williewilliams)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Fantastic Willie! Brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing.

Aw, thanks man! Hope I did it justice. That song means an awful lot to me. I think Duane would be amazed that people are still learning and studying this stuff 50 years later!

Posted : January 26, 2019 8:02 am
tenorsfan
(@tenorsfan)
Estimable Member

Likewise with the welling up and throw in the shivers too. Makes me think I should get a turntable again. I still relive the memory every once in awhile thinking that the Duane blasting Elizabeth Reed through my old turntable system was my all time highest intensity musical experience and can't now see the experience ever being surpassed.

For that reason I'm not so sure that Duane would be amazed that we're still amazed by his playing 50 years later. I think he knew he had obtained an amazing ultimate peak of musical expression, and that maybe was for all time. That realization was I think maybe euphoric being there but a burden for him as well.

Thanks for this once again.

Posted : January 26, 2019 12:51 pm
WillieWilliams
(@williewilliams)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Likewise with the welling up and throw in the shivers too. Makes me think I should get a turntable again. I still relive the memory every once in awhile thinking that the Duane blasting Elizabeth Reed through my old turntable system was my all time highest intensity musical experience and can't now see the experience ever being surpassed.

For that reason I'm not so sure that Duane would be amazed that we're still amazed by his playing 50 years later. I think he knew he had obtained an amazing ultimate peak of musical expression, and that maybe was for all time. That realization was I think maybe euphoric being there but a burden for him as well.

Thanks for this once again.

Wow, that's a great sentiment man. And you're probably right now that I think about it. I read an article years ago where the writer said "Duane played like he knew he didn't have much time on this earth." I've always thought there was something to that, so yeah, maybe he would just be thinking "damn right!" Smile Anyway, thanks for the comments guys, it means a lot. My bandmates and I take a lot of pride in keeping the flame lit. I like to think that DA, GA, BO and BT are smiling at us from somewhere in the ether. ~WW

Posted : January 27, 2019 11:53 am
Tympani_Intro
(@tympani_intro)

Beautiful work! Soul, Nuance, Tone, and Feel. You're unlocking the portal. It reminds me of Duane describing the spiritual vibe of the morning rays bathe-filtering into the Fillmore after an all-night "communion."
We all benefit.
Well done.

Posted : June 4, 2019 12:07 pm
Share: