The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

DBs Guitar Tone on Southbound (Brothers and Sisters)

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@335)
Topic starter

Dickie Betts' guitar tone drives me nuts!!! As a singing guitarist myself, I've been trying to nail that out of phase solo tone in the tune Southbound for years. I've gone out of phase on both my Gold Top Lester and my ES335. I've swapped out at least a dozen different pups and magnet combinations. I've changed caps 9,653 times . I play Super Reverbs, Twin Reverbs and still have a 100W Marshall ...wtf??? 🤓 

I do come close but that isn't good enough. Soon, I'm gonna be older than him ... Does anyone really know without saying its' the fingers???

A million thanks!

Posted : November 10, 2021 12:42 pm
redhouse1969
(@redhouse1969)
Reputable Member

I am not certain but I believe he used a les paul recording model guitar for a lot of that album... people have been chasing that sound for many years ( myself included)... I think it is genetic at this point. 

Posted : December 14, 2021 11:07 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

I don't believe his pickups are out of phase. The foundation of Dickey's tone during that B&S period was a clean PAF-style pickups on a Les Paul direct into a Marshall. A big part of his sound, and why its so consistent from guitar-to-guitar through the years, is his use of JBL speakers on his Marshall amp. Also, a lot of the nuance is in the fingers.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 14, 2021 11:38 am
Share: