Clear all

Butch and Dickey

10 Posts
8 Users
4 Likes
bluesboy57
(@bluesboy57)
Topic starter

I never quite understood Butch's hostility toward Dickey. I'm sure there were issues, but Butch didn't seem to appreciate the outsized role Dickey had in the Allman Brothers Band. Dickey carried the band for about 20 years and regardless of how things turned out, there would have been no ABB after Duane passed had it not been for Dickey. Dickey and Duane's guitar work, Gregg's soulful/bluesy vocalizations, and Dickey and Gregg's songwriting defined the ABB sound. I love the two drummers, but Butch could have easily been replaced without missing a beat (no pun intended).

Posted : June 22, 2017 8:26 am
MACONMUSIC
(@maconmusic)
Trusted Member

Having read various accounts in the published books about the band, and recalling some of the things Red Dog alluded to over the years on this and Dickey's forum when it was still up, one got the sense that there might have been some professional jealousies over the years due to songwriting royalties, vetoed business ventures or ideas Butch might have had that DB wouldn't agree to, and
God knows what else those guys butted heads on over the years. Let's face it, at least according to Celebrity Net Worth which may or may not be totally accurate, Dickey is probably worth more than all of them put together mostly due to songwriting royalties, publishing and probably smart investments. I've heard it said that he is a pretty shrewd businessman in some respects. On the other hand Butch did have some failed business ventures that although were noble, didn't pan out... The recording studio and Moogis come to mind. Plus he wasn't a songwriter so probably not much in the way of royalties came his way, his bread and butter was the touring.

So all of that could have fed the resentment. Plus by all public accounts, DB could be pretty heavy handed when it came to band politics as has been well documented. So probably wasn't one thing, but several things simmering over a long period of time between those two.
Shame they never mended the fences before Butch passed, at least nothing was made public about that as it was between DB and GA.

[Edited on 6/23/2017 by MACONMUSIC]

Posted : June 22, 2017 4:16 pm
Jack_Frost reacted
bluesboy57
(@bluesboy57)
Topic starter

Thanks for that feedback, MACONMUSIC.

From what I read, Dickey was somewhat reluctantly thrust into the leader role when Duane passed. Dickey had his own issues, and coupled with Gregg's issues, I'm sure he struggled trying to keep things together.

I sure wish they all could have gotten back together during the past few years.

Posted : June 23, 2017 5:53 am
Jack_Frost reacted
BirdsAway
(@birdsaway)
Trusted Member

Dickey carried the band for about 20 years and regardless of how things turned out, there would have been no ABB after Duane passed had it not been for Dickey.

That's a very strong statement.

Posted : June 23, 2017 6:53 am
Dan
 Dan
(@dan)
Reputable Member

That sums it up and to the point. If it wasn't for Dickey after Duane died there would have been no ABB.

Posted : June 23, 2017 7:07 am
Jack_Frost reacted
MACONMUSIC
(@maconmusic)
Trusted Member

Thanks for that feedback, MACONMUSIC.

I sure wish they all could have gotten back together during the past few years.

Yes agreed, I had my hopes too..But the time has come and gone now...

I am not holding my breath on this, but I'm kinda secretly holding out hope that MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, one of the final surprises on Gregg's new upcoming release in Sept. will feature a certain Mr. D. Betts on a guitar track....Even if only one song. That'd be a sweet statement, but again, not betting the mortgage on it....Dickey was in the studio recently playing on a release by blues guitarist Joshua Jacobson, so that's maybe why I hold out some hope....Ya never know till ya know.

Posted : June 23, 2017 10:06 am
heineken515
(@heineken515)
Noble Member

...Butch could have easily been replaced...

I completely disagree with this opinion.

Posted : June 25, 2017 3:50 am
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member

I agree with Heineken 100%. Butch may not have been the most technical drummer but he sure could make that band move. And then add Jaimoe... superb.

eap,
Steve

[Edited on 7/7/2017 by steved]

[Edited on 7/29/2017 by steved]

Posted : July 7, 2017 10:44 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

😀 I kinda see it both ways -- no Butch could not have been replaced, reason being, beCause of his amazing dynamics -- the way he played gave melody to their music, & was then enhanced even more, echoing steved, by what Jaimoe was doing -- their playing on the Mar & Sol AWTNM is simply stunning -- totally independent
Dickey looked well in the photo recently published playing at that Joshua Jacobson session

Posted : July 12, 2017 12:28 pm
Jack_Frost reacted
Jack_Frost
(@jack_frost)
Reputable Member

They made their best music together, in my humble opinion. Wish they could have seen that.

Posted : June 11, 2023 3:06 am
Share: