Voted! RELIEVED!

22 Posts
14 Users
5 Likes
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I voted early in person so I am DONE w/this 2020 election that has dragged on for far too long. The 1st DNC debates were in June, 2019 w/run-up for months beforehand. 18 months is excessive & insulting to the POTUS whoever he is - public, absurd, incessant vying to replace him when he's barely 2 years into his term. 

The sense of relief was surprising - not that I've spent a second on deliberation. It's that I'm free of this noise that's surrounded me for almost 2 years. I've voted. If I don't know the results until Inauguration Day 2021, that's fine. It's over.

Posted : October 24, 2020 10:57 am
Chain
(@chain)
Noble Member

I voted this morning as well.  First time here in New York state that we've been able to do so.  I was the fifth vote cast at my polling site and was delighted to see a very long line of people and a full parking lot of cars as I excited the building.  All within the first 20 minutes or so of day one of a 8 day window for early voting (June 24 - November 1).

No matter how this turns out I'm proud to see the turnout and enthusiasm of people participating in the democratic process.  Our republic depends on it.  Now more than ever.

Posted : October 24, 2020 12:18 pm
cyclone88 reacted
goldtop
(@goldtop)
Noble Member

I voted by mail earlier this week. There is nothing that the orange idiot could say at any point to change how I was going to vote...now lets see how it all plays out

Posted : October 24, 2020 1:12 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @chain

I voted this morning as well.  First time here in New York state that we've been able to do so.  I was the fifth vote cast at my polling site and was delighted to see a very long line of people and a full parking lot of cars as I excited the building.  All within the first 20 minutes or so of day one of a 8 day window for early voting (June 24 - November 1).

No matter how this turns out I'm proud to see the turnout and enthusiasm of people participating in the democratic process.  Our republic depends on it.  Now more than ever.

Yes, I was #5 in my polling place, too. Everything was well laid out for direction & maintaining social distancing. The election workers were very friendly & enthusiastic & seemed to appreciate people avoiding what could be a heavy turnout on Nov. 3. I was thanked 3 times. Some of my neighbors did the ballot by mail & received electronic confirmation, but I like going to the actual precinct & feeling like part of something. Plus, having any destination these days is a plus.

Posted : October 24, 2020 1:32 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

Voted on Wednesday, took 45 minutes total for the line and voting..... plus met someone in line that was another small world moment...

Posted : October 24, 2020 1:58 pm
cyclone88 reacted
Chain
(@chain)
Noble Member

Posted by: @cyclone88
Posted by: @chain

Yes, I was #5 in my polling place, too. Everything was well laid out for direction & maintaining social distancing. The election workers were very friendly & enthusiastic & seemed to appreciate people avoiding what could be a heavy turnout on Nov. 3. I was thanked 3 times. Some of my neighbors did the ballot by mail & received electronic confirmation, but I like going to the actual precinct & feeling like part of something. Plus, having any destination these days is a plus.

Same thing here.  Very well laid out with signs on the walls and markers on the floor where to stand in order to social distance.  Lots of election staff on hand and they were all very helpful, polite, friendly, and gracious.  Also there were extra masks on hand and lots of sanitizer entering and leaving the building.  

I'm with you on preferring to vote in person.  I like the process itself and I can personally thank the election staff for their service.  My wife, on the other hand, opted for mail in voting as did her 83 year old mother.   

Given this is the first time New York state has allowed for early voting, I'm hopeful that on a statewide basis my experience will be the norm and it will continue well into the future without any legal challenges or mumbo jumbo from those who feel is shouldn't be allowed.  

A shout out to Andrew Cuomo and many others in state government as well as the advocates who made this process happen.  It's about time and long overdue.

Posted : October 24, 2020 2:31 pm
cyclone88 reacted
MartinD28
(@martind28)
Famed Member

My daughter came in town a couple weeks ago. We drove to the gov't center on that Saturday and voted. It was well organized, & we only had a 2 minute wait. My daughter works about a mile from the WH but told me she no longer walks there & won't until Trump is ousted.

Posted : October 24, 2020 2:59 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Voted several weeks ago.

Dump Trump.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : October 24, 2020 4:15 pm
IF
 IF
(@if)
Reputable Member

Voted last week but won’t be relieved until the current occupant of the WH has been voted out of office.

Posted : October 25, 2020 12:51 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

FYI - you're not supposed to relive yourself in a polling booth!  They got a room down the hall just for that.

Posted : October 26, 2020 10:09 am
nebish reacted
(@2112)
Famed Member

Posted by: @if

Voted last week but won’t be relieved until the current occupant of the WH has been voted out of office.

Same here. I'm hoping that we hear either Florida or Texas going for Biden on election night. It's going to be excruciating if we have to wait days for results from Pennsylvania.

Posted : October 26, 2020 12:18 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

We dropped out ballots off last week. Felt great to do so. I'm glad there is so much early voting and alternative options for people. Anything that encourages more participation has me hopeful.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 26, 2020 12:34 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

I did an early vote that was mail-in or drop off.  I took it to the drop off box last week.  My wife early voted in person.

There was some confusion, this stuff, I mean there is always something messed up.  So on the ballot instructions they sent with the ballot it says "postage paid".  Well, you guessed it postage wasn't paid.  And not only that, but the envelope size was such that a normal 55 cent stamp isn't sufficient.  They had to send out separate mailers to everyone that got a ballot telling them make sure they put appropriate postage on the envelope.  Isn't that always the way stuff goes though, confusion and delay (something we say here around the house if you are familiar with Thomas and Friends).

Anyway...we only had 4 POTUS choices here in Ohio.  My friend in Colorado showed me his ballot, they had over 20.  He pointed out that Joe Biden was on top of the list, then Trump second, then the other 20 something below.  And they weren't alphabetical by name or party.  Showing a little favoritism?  I don't know.  Don't care. A little funny if you let it be.  I'd think the incumbent would top the list rather than the challenger, or it would be sorted alphabetical or something. 

Posted : October 26, 2020 12:59 pm
MartinD28
(@martind28)
Famed Member

Posted by: @2112
Posted by: @if

Same here. I'm hoping that we hear either Florida or Texas going for Biden on election night. It's going to be excruciating if we have to wait days for results from Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania - GOP lawsuits. Wonder why the GOP has lawsuits in multiple states around the country. You don't think they want to suppress votes, do you? 

Posted : October 26, 2020 1:10 pm
(@2112)
Famed Member

Posted by: @nebish

Anyway...we only had 4 POTUS choices here in Ohio.  My friend in Colorado showed me his ballot, they had over 20.  He pointed out that Joe Biden was on top of the list, then Trump second, then the other 20 something below.  And they weren't alphabetical by name or party.  Showing a little favoritism?  I don't know.  Don't care. A little funny if you let it be.  I'd think the incumbent would top the list rather than the challenger, or it would be sorted alphabetical or something. 

In my county in California, I think we had 6 names on the ballot. Trump was first (top) in the left column, and Biden was dead last (bottom) in the right column. I was surprised that they had different columns after what happened in Florida in 2000, although the bubble to fill out was on the right side of all names. I think they are supposed to be listed randomly. Not sure if different counties in the same state list them in the same or different order.

Posted : October 26, 2020 1:49 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

dropped off our ballots at the drop box in town hall. 

Instructions in MA were pretty easy to follow, I've voted by mail before.

We had 4 candidates for POTUS (libertarian and green party)

Posted : October 26, 2020 5:04 pm
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Noble Member

Done!  Let Freed Ring

Posted : October 26, 2020 5:25 pm
(@2112)
Famed Member

Posted by: @stormyrider

dropped off our ballots at the drop box in town hall. 

Instructions in MA were pretty easy to follow, I've voted by mail before.

We had 4 candidates for POTUS (libertarian and green party)

California had Libertarian, Green, Peace and Freedom, and American Independent, beside Republican and Democrat. 

Posted : October 26, 2020 6:36 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thought I was relieved (thanks, rusty), but just got a text that the party "saw that I'd voted early" & wanted to count on me to call 3 friends tonight to remind them to vote. So much for text blocking.

Posted : October 28, 2020 6:50 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member

@cyclone88

If they know you've voted, are they still sending you all the political ads in the mail?

I voted Saturday before last and seems like I get more political ads in my mailbox every day. 

Posted : October 28, 2020 7:22 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member
Topic starter

@jerry

You know, I didn't get any mail except one postcard last week from the Libertarians. My zip code is probably going to be 95% dem, 0.0001% GOP, and 5% Green/Other so I guess both parties are spending wisely. I didn't get any mail for Congress or state representatives.

I've gotten more texts than anything. I don't like that they have my cell #. 

Posted : October 28, 2020 10:01 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member

@cyclone88

Did you see the thing on NBC where a six year old kid made his own protest sign and displays it on his street corner?

He's protesting that political ads are coming on his computer while playing Minecraft.  A Mercer Uni. professor said students are complaining about political ads coming over their Playstations and XBoxes.

I think that's going just a little TOO far.

Posted : October 29, 2020 10:55 am
cyclone88 reacted
Share: