US Track Star Banned For Testing THC (Marijuana) Positive

17 Posts
9 Users
9 Likes
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/02/sport/shacarri-richardson-positive-test-olympics-spt-intl/index.html

I can understand being disqualified for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs like steroids, testosterone and other drugs that (supposedly) give you a competitive edge or advantage.  I'm a former athlete (okay, 45 years ago) and registered full-time stoner in my retirement.  About the last thing I feel like doing after taking a couple of hits is lining up to run at sprint speed for 100 yds to a mile (or more).  On top of this, the athlete in question lives in a state (Oregon) where the kynd weed is legal, so she didn't break any laws.  How many other olympians celebrate or socialize with alcohol (a beer, glass of wine, etc.) from time to time?  I will point out that this athlete had to have KNOWN that the periodic testing was going to reveal her usage.  Regardless - victimless crime.  Pot wasn't going to give her super powers.

Posted : July 2, 2021 11:01 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

She knew the rules and 100% respect to her for owning it. She knew and she did it and she owns it.  Change the rules, until then abide by them or suffer the consequences.

Posted : July 2, 2021 8:38 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

Yeah, she knew the rules.  It's still BS as far as I'm concerned.  Things are changing but change is slow unfortunately. 

Hell I have NO idea how I would have made it through 27 years as a Respiratory Therapist without marijuana.  I just had to have it on my days off for both physical and psychological reasons.  And at various times I was fired, put on suspension or denied employment for testing positive.  Try holding lives in your hands on a 12 hour night shift for three consecutive nights and see if you don't need something to relax your body, mind and soul on your days off.  With virtually NO side effects whatsoever.

JUDGE ME BY MY PERFORMANCE, that is all I ask.  Fortunately I retired 5 months ago so no longer have to deal with this BS.  No one is testing me before that monthly Social Security check hits my bank account.  And if I want to spend some of it at the local dispensary, I can.

This post was modified 3 years ago by robslob

Posted : July 5, 2021 12:06 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

I pretty much agree with what you guys all said. She knew the rules, yet ignored them. You probably saw Biden comment on it and he pretty much said the same thing. Sorry, that was just plain stupid on her part. At least she owned up to it. 

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : July 5, 2021 8:09 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, rules are rules.

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : July 5, 2021 9:48 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Now, that guy who ate 62 hotdogs in 10 minutes - I can see where the Marijuana Munchies might've given him a competitive boost.  Do they test those guys? 😉 

Posted : July 5, 2021 10:32 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

@rusty 

I heard they shoot up with mustard and relish, which is okay. But if they test positive for putting ketchup on a hot dog they are suspended.

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : July 5, 2021 11:47 am
Rusty reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

The rules may be stupid but she knew what she was risking and used cannabis anyway so she owns the consequences.

Sadly I don't think things will change until the Fed's change weeds status as a controlled substance.

We are making slow progress but need the Fed's to finally make weed legal on a Federal level and let the individual States determine how to regulate it.

Once that happens I think more companies and sports organizations will stop persecuting individuals for using a legal substance on their own time.

Posted : July 5, 2021 12:02 pm
matt05 reacted
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@rusty Since you've changed the subject to Joey Chestnut, I'll roll with it.  BTW it was 76 dogs in 10 minutes, not 62, he broke his own record.

Take a look at this objectively, please.  Tens of thousands of people in Third World nations starve every month because they cannot get enough to eat.  And here in America we CELEBRATE gluttony.  

We are a sick, f***'d up and spoiled culture.  We don't know how good we have it...........

Posted : July 5, 2021 5:29 pm
Rusty reacted
CanadianMule
(@canadianmule)
Noble Member

If you put in all the work involved to qualify for the Olympics and you throw it all away to smoke a joint. You have issues with addiction and/or mental issues. Just plain dumb. Roll a joint the size of a baseball bat - after the Olympics and not before. Physically she may have been ready to compete but clearly not mentally.

The rules will eventually change and the drug is not performance enhancing but it is not some hidden substance in something she took accidentally. All that work, time, effort, family sacrifice and all tossed aside for a hit on a bong?

She made her choice. 

Posted : July 6, 2021 6:51 am
matt05 reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @canadianmule

If you put in all the work involved to qualify for the Olympics and you throw it all away to smoke a joint. You have issues with addiction and/or mental issues. Just plain dumb. Roll a joint the size of a baseball bat - after the Olympics and not before. Physically she may have been ready to compete but clearly not mentally.

The rules will eventually change and the drug is not performance enhancing but it is not some hidden substance in something she took accidentally. All that work, time, effort, family sacrifice and all tossed aside for a hit on a bong?

She made her choice. 

Agree . Thats the first thing I told my wife . All the years and hard work getting ready for this and blew it. In most cases, athletes time frame/window for competing and getting into the games is very small. There are some exceptions, but few.

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : July 6, 2021 7:45 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

No argument that she should've been smarter.  I guess I was fortunate to work for a company that did not require random wizz-quizzes.  'Bout y'all?

Yeah, the hotdog king is a monument to American gluttony.  If my best shot at world fame lied in my ability to consume two years worth of junk food in one sitting, I'd choose to remain unknown.  😉 

Posted : July 6, 2021 9:05 am
robslob reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

It's a shame the fastest woman on the planet can't run for the USA. 

That rule should be changed but not midstream. It's too late to change it now but in time for the next Olympics? Absolutely. 

My state has legal marijuana now but I've been operating a school bus in the fall, winter and spring to have something to do. Still can't roll a righteous smoke and take a toke. Fired first offence. Same showing up drunk on liquor or beer or wine. 

All together now. 1 2 3

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : July 7, 2021 4:32 pm
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@robertdee - Brewer & Shipley were a great duo!  They're as funny as Donald Fagan and Walter Becker!  The interview goes for about 30 minutes - then they play.

Posted : July 7, 2021 4:53 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@rusty Thanks man! I'm surprised they are still around. One Toke was a huge hit...no pun intended!

Posted : July 7, 2021 6:22 pm
Rusty reacted
matt05
(@matt05)
Noble Member

Posted by: @bill_graham

The rules may be stupid but she knew what she was risking and used cannabis anyway so she owns the consequences.

Sadly I don't think things will change until the Fed's change weeds status as a controlled substance.

We are making slow progress but need the Fed's to finally make weed legal on a Federal level and let the individual States determine how to regulate it.

Once that happens I think more companies and sports organizations will stop persecuting individuals for using a legal substance on their own time.

i get what you are saying but wouldn't matter in this case. she was busted by the IOC not the USA government

Posted : July 8, 2021 8:10 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Posted by: @matt05
Posted by: @bill_graham

i get what you are saying but wouldn't matter in this case. she was busted by the IOC not the USA government

Yes I understand, it wouldn't help in this case but hopefully the IOC and other sports leagues and businesses would stop punishing individuals for using cannabis.

Treat it like alcohol used in private instead of a harmful drug.

Posted : July 8, 2021 11:33 pm
matt05 and Rusty reacted
Share: