The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp?

Page 42 / 52
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Peach Extraordianire

So I have been a diehard  Yankee fan my whole life, through the good and the bad, and have been a defender of Brian Cashman but this weekend sweep by the Sox was the last straw for me.

Despite one of the highest payrolls every year we have had no WS in over a decade so I think it is time to clean house and fire Cashman and Boone and start fresh.

This team is flawed and totally flat so I think we need to be sellers like we were in 2016 and reload and rebuild the farm system with a new manager and front office as the current philosophy isn't working.

We do have some assets to trade, Chapman, Britton, Green, German, Frazier, Voight, etc.

I thought this team had the talent but now believe they missed their window of opportunity and there needs to be a reset.

The question is does Hal Steinbrenner have the stones to clean house. With some of the highest ticket prices in baseball if he doesn't do something to encourage the fans he will have a half full stadium the rest of the year and next.

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by Bill_Graham
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 27, 2021 8:09 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Did anyone catch the Yanks/Angels game on ESPN last night? 

Shotani hits yet another home run, his first hit in Yankee Stadium. That guy is amazing. Even without Trout the Angels should be better than they are.

And you had to feel for Dylan Bundy, throwing up behind the mound. The camera actually showed a little of it. Yuk!

You got to go to hell before you get to Heaven.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 29, 2021 9:30 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @lee

Did anyone catch the Yanks/Angels game on ESPN last night? 

Shotani hits yet another home run, his first hit in Yankee Stadium. That guy is amazing. Even without Trout the Angels should be better than they are.

And you had to feel for Dylan Bundy, throwing up behind the mound. The camera actually showed a little of it. Yuk!

JMO but the Angels usually have offensive talent and spend big on it in free agency but they never seem to develop elite pitching and or sign front of the rotation starters so they never can seem to get over the hump and be anything better than a mediocre team. They always seem to be a 0.500 team every year.

Other than their playoff year of 2014 take a look a their season w/L records since 2010 and they are around 0.500 every year.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ANA/index.shtml

Ohtani is an amazing talent but I wonder how he will hold up physically playing basically every day and pitching every 5th day. He is so talented as a two way player it is hard for the Angels to resist but I wonder if they would be better off having him stick to either hitting or pitching only.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2021 10:01 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@bill_graham

the Yanks got screwed by the cheating Astros in '17' and '19, especially 2019 seemed like their year. They've been on a downward trend ever since. I can't believe they've stuck with Sanchez for as long as they have, he should be DH somewhere else. I don't know if they need to clean house, they have some solid pieces but everyone is under-performing. Cole hasn't filled the loss of Sabbathia and Tanaka.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2021 11:12 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @porkchopbob

@bill_graham

the Yanks got screwed by the cheating Astros in '17' and '19, especially 2019 seemed like their year. They've been on a downward trend ever since. I can't believe they've stuck with Sanchez for as long as they have, he should be DH somewhere else. I don't know if they need to clean house, they have some solid pieces but everyone is under-performing. Cole hasn't filled the loss of Sabbathia and Tanaka.

Yeah the Astros cheating scandal may have cheated the Yanks out of their chance to win the WS with the young core of talent they had a the time but that being said the team my be on the downside of their chances with the current roster.

Baseball is my favorite sport and I die hard Yankee fan and follow the team closely and watch the games, read the NY/NJ papers and anything posted on the Yanks and I agree they have some solid core talent but I think Cashman has built a flawed team and relies too much on analytics. They live and die by the HR and this year it is killing them.

Other teams have figured out how to pitch them and they are terrible at the fundamentals, fielding, baserunning, leaving men on base etc. They have not developed a top of the rotation pitcher since Andy Pettitte as Severino has promise but not a big enough track record.

We will see if Cole's improvement was the result of using sticky substances but it sure looks suspicious that his spin and strikeout rates are drastically down since the Commissioner cracked down their use.

I just think it may be time to change the GM and Manager and become sellers this year like they did ion 2016. It is tough to do in NY as the fans expect a winner every year but at some point you have do a reset. Cashman has had one the largest payrolls in baseball and we have no WS rings to show for it the past 10+ years

The thing I do respect about the Red Sox is they have not been afraid to trade their stars and rebuild when it is not financially feasible to sign them all. The Mookie trade was brilliant IMHO as they not only got value in return but also shed Price's contract.

As much as I love him I would even consider trading Judge as he is approaching 30yrs old, is an injury waiting to happen, and will command a huge contract in a few years.

Maybe they turn things around but they sure seem flat so I am not getting my hopes up

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2021 11:47 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @bill_graham

As much as I love him I would even consider trading Judge as he is approaching 30yrs old, is an injury waiting to happen, and will command a huge contract in a few years.

You hit the nail on the head with the fundamental problem I have w/MLB - Judge has underperformed when he hasn’t been hurt, he’s approaching 30, yet he’ll still command a huge salary - it just plain doesn’t make sense to me

In MLB, “hustling” ie legging out grounders, running the bases, is now the cause for season-ending injuries - heck a pitcher recently tore his Achilles’ tendon - While Walking Into The Clubhouse

but there’s still the beauty of the game, & Brooks Robinson would’ve been envious of the play the Pirates 3B made recently - freakin tremendous

Yankees might make a run at it yet - they can never be counted out

This post was modified 3 months ago by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2021 1:39 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@stephen 

The way you wrote Brooks would've been envious looks like he is no longer with us. I didn't think so but I did look it up.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 29, 2021 6:45 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Regarding hustling, while not the same thing but I was watching a game the other night and there was a runner on third and the announcer said the defense needed to watch out for a suicide squeeze. I chuckled. Other than a pitcher when was the last time you have seen someone try to lay down a bunt?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 29, 2021 6:48 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

if the thread was titled Who’s on Third
….It was Ke’Bryan Hayes - went way to his right into foul ground to get to a grounder, pivoted, more or less flung the ball toward 1st while going backward, beat Yadier Molina by less than half a step, & amazingly there were no injuries 

it was a sensational play & reminiscent of hilite-reel plays Brooks made in the 1971 WS w/Bucs (& during his career) -

50 years on & it just isn’t happening for the Pirates in 2021, but Brooks would’ve been reminded of himself & had to have loved seeing Hayes’ gem 

🤙was aware he hadn’t died, I suppose “Must’ve been envious” instead of “Would’ve been envious” would’ve cleared up the confusion

let’s go Sox, gotta have that W7 going into Oak this wknd (it’s 4 games w/KC this week, thought it was 3🪐) -

subway series, holiday wknd, NYC, yow

last edit, good to see that Bill Cosby will be able to live out his final years a free man - his release is cheered by his legion of fans

This post was modified 3 months ago 7 times by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 30, 2021 9:04 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Just when you think you've seen it all. I got home this afternoon, flip on the Flubs game and they are up 7-0 in the first. Awesome! They desperately need a win. They have proceeded to surrender 15 straight runs. ☹️ 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 30, 2021 5:52 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Crazy night alright - Braves 20 runs on 20 hits, LA came back late on NY, it took Sawx all night to get to W6

…also, Miggy 4 for 8 as Tygiz sweep Tribe, he’s gotten his BA up to .240 & if Det can make a go of it w/ChiSox this wknd…..stranger things, as the saying goes

SF (50-29) continues to set pace overall, then three games separate the next 8 teams:

BoSox 50-31, .617

LAD 49-31, .613

SD 49-33, .598

ChiSox 48-32, .595

Hou, Mil 48-33, .593

Oak 48-34, .585

TB 47-34, .580

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2021 4:57 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

That Yanks/Angels game last night was nuts. Shotoni doesn't get out of the first, Chapman gets blasted. Fun game but that has gotta hurt Bill Graham. 

Don't even tease me on the Tiggers. There's no way in hell they can make a run of it. Although I do like Miggy playing better. Plus I bet a buddy they won't win 65 games this year. I think I'm gonna lose that one. 😉 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 1, 2021 8:50 am
DanB
 DanB
(@danb)
Ultimate Peach

20-2 the Braves finally scored some runs but they face DeGrom tonight 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2021 9:09 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Peach Extraordianire

That Yanks/Angels game last night was nuts. Shotoni doesn't get out of the first, Chapman gets blasted. Fun game but that has gotta hurt Bill Graham. 

Don't even tease me on the Tiggers. There's no way in hell they can make a run of it. Although I do like Miggy playing better. Plus I bet a buddy they won't win 65 games this year. I think I'm gonna lose that one. 😉 

Yeah I stopped following the game in the 7th inning at the second rain delay and thought it was a done deal. I was already sleeping when Chapman had another meltdown. He was having a stellar season but has been struggling lately. Was aroind the time of the MLB crackdown on sticky stuff he started having control issues. A little suspicious to me. Maybe time to see what they can get for him.

Just another example for me that the team is not built to compete this year and they should be sellers and not buyers at the trade deadline.

They missed their window of opportunity the last 4 years and I think it is time to do a soft rebuild around some core players and try to open up some cap room to sign a few complimentary pieces.

This post was modified 3 months ago by Bill_Graham
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2021 1:55 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@bill_graham 

Have you ever, ever seen the Yanks to be sellers? I've followed them a long time, probably not as long as you but it just doesn't seem like a thing they do. Renting Chapman to the Cubs in 2016 is about the only thing I can think of and I bet they knew he coming right back anyway. Plus they stole Torres. I still tell my Cubs fan friends that was a terrible trade. They could have won it without him.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 1, 2021 3:26 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Anybody read this? Wow! I really think the guy is a jerk but this story is totally bizarre. If true, I don't understand why she went back. 🤔 

https://sports.yahoo.com/trevor-bauer-dodgers-police-assault-investigation-los-angeles-225713636.html

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 1, 2021 4:08 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Peach Extraordianire

@bill_graham 

Have you ever, ever seen the Yanks to be sellers? I've followed them a long time, probably not as long as you but it just doesn't seem like a thing they do. Renting Chapman to the Cubs in 2016 is about the only thing I can think of and I bet they knew he coming right back anyway. Plus they stole Torres. I still tell my Cubs fan friends that was a terrible trade. They could have won it without him.

They were big sellers in 2016 Lee

https://www.mlb.com/news/looking-back-at-yankees-2016-trades-moves-c300969868

The traded Chapman to the Cubbies for Torres with no guarantee he was coming back, Miller to the Indians which is how they got Frazier and Sheffield, and Beltran to the Rangers for prospects.

Many of the prospects were flipped in other trades for Paxton and Britton but it was a decent selloff that year which helped turn them into contenders the past 4 years.

Not saying they will do the same thing this year but I think this team is flawed and needs to think about moving the likes of Chapman, Britton, Green, Frazier, Andujar, Voight and some of their other expendable parts. Keep the core together but do a soft rebuild.

Sound like I am panicking but this team has not made progress since 2017 and the cheap rookies like Judge, Sanchez, Torres will be commanding big money in the next few years. Yes I would keep Sanchez as he is one of the top offensive catchers in baseball and his defense is serviceable iMHO. We lived many years with Jorge Posada who was a mediocre catcher so we can live with Sanchez as he seems to have turned around his hitting.

The have several albatross contracts like Stanton and Hicks so that is hamstringing them as Hal Steinbrenner is not willing to exceed the cap even thought the team is one of the top revenue producers in baseball.

One thing I respect about the Redsox is they are not afraid to be sellers and do a soft rebuild. They are in first place with Chris Sale coming back soon. Not sure if they have enough to go all the way but they play good fundamental baseball and are grinders.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2021 6:32 pm
Stephen liked
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Good post Bill_Graham, always enjoy well written bball stuff - even if it Is by a Yankees fans😮🤣 - have real admiration for Hal’s stance on this thing - the players do it, not the manager, & he supports both

he stays w/his managers, a great breath of fresh air - the complete opposite of his dad as you said - yep will be interesting to see what they do at the trade deadline - 

we’re playing our best baseball right now, Yanks no - nothing to say that couldn’t be reversed in Sept - they won’t see deGrom this wknd

but ya, Sox fans humbly enjoying the moment (20 games over .500) - have to admit, wouldn’t athunk it (& didn’t) at start of season

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2021 10:47 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Regarding the Yanks, I'm thinking a complete overhaul, ala Tiggers and White Sux. The Sux did it brilliantly, they drafted all these Hispanic kids who have turned out great. Their scouting department should get kudos. 

I guess the jury is still out on Detroit. I was pissed when they fired Dombrowski who the Red Sux quickly hired.

Back to the Yanks, they did develop a great team in the 90s with Jeter, Bernie Williams, Posada, Pettite, etc. That was a fun team to watch. I don't see them bringing up young guys from their farm system these days. 

This post was modified 3 months ago by Lee

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 2, 2021 7:41 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Back to the Yanks, they did develop a great team in the 90s with Jeter, Bernie Williams, Posada, Pettite, etc. That was a fun team to watch. I don't see them bringing up young guys from their farm system these days. 

Their 1998 team holds the record for most wins by a WS champ with 114 (regular season)

that was broken 3 years later by Seattle, they won 116 but didn’t win WS but watta team that was w/Griffey Jr., the Big Unit, all time Mariner Edgar Martinez, Tino Martinez, Jay Buhner, Joey Cora etc - hard to believe it’s been 20 years

*looked up info in 1st paragraph, 2nd paragraph from memory

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2021 9:04 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

Lots of Yankees fans thought Judge was going to be the next Jeter. He's cooled considerably the past 2 seasons. Stanton is hot or cold.

How 'bout them Brewers? 9 wins in a row, including a sweep of the Flubs.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2021 11:00 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @porkchopbob

Lots of Yankees fans thought Judge was going to be the next Jeter. He's cooled considerably the past 2 seasons. Stanton is hot or cold.

How 'bout them Brewers? 9 wins in a row, including a sweep of the Flubs.

Heh, if they had swept the Brewers they would be tied. Instead, six back. If they don't turn it this around in the next few weeks I think Bryant is gone. Too bad, I like him. They shouldn't have traded Darvish. I think they would be in a much better spot if they had him. Plus they threw in a great catcher in the deal. 

Bill Graham, you talk about the Yanks mismanagement, the Flubs arguably worse. They pretty much bought the entire neighborhood in Wrigleyville so nothing is going to change. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 2, 2021 4:21 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@bill_graham 

They were toast that year and they knew it. I meant like a total rebuild which teams seem to do these days. I can't recall the Yanks doing something like that. Trading Chapman was a brilliant move.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 2, 2021 4:31 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Peach Extraordianire

@bill_graham 

They were toast that year and they knew it. I meant like a total rebuild which teams seem to do these days. I can't recall the Yanks doing something like that. Trading Chapman was a brilliant move.

They don't do total rebuilds as they did a soft rebuild in 2016 and that is what I am proposing this year as well. Trade several of the more tradeable players and get some prospects in return you can flip for established players that fill needs.

They are not that much better this year than they were in 2016. While the offense is showing signs of life the starting rotation is struggling and I don't see the cavalry coming to the rescue.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2021 7:39 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Anybody read this? Wow! I really think the guy is a jerk but this story is totally bizarre. If true, I don't understand why she went back. 🤔 

https://sports.yahoo.com/trevor-bauer-dodgers-police-assault-investigation-los-angeles-225713636.html

They’re calling it a 7 day administrative leave - a suspension I guess - yeah pretty kinky stuff alright - consensual is one thing but yow - sounds like Bauer power busted a hinge, but who knows 

what’s that song in Walking Tall - “punish me, make me feel the pain/punish me, make me crawl back to your world, but Don’t go and find another girl….”🤷🏽😶 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2021 9:34 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@bill_graham 

True enough. It just seem like the Yankee "way" to do something like that if you will. To me anyway. I've always really liked Brett Gardner. But when your center fielder is barely hitting .200, that is telling. They wouldn't get a bag of used balls trading him but they do have tradable pieces as you said. I'm sure Chapman would get you something and if I could unload Stanton's contract on someone I would consider trading him. I have no idea what their farm system looks like but they need an arm or two in the rotation. They have tried in that department.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 3, 2021 7:37 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@stephen 

Administrative leave. That's a new one. What the hell does that mean? And where did they come up with seven days? So basically he's being suspended for one start. I imagine this thing taking quite a while to play out. I still don't understand why she went back to see him again. She probably should have gone to the cops and/or hospital if she was bleeding from where she claims.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 3, 2021 7:43 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Regarding the Yanks, I'm thinking a complete overhaul, ala Tiggers and White Sux. The Sux did it brilliantly, they drafted all these Hispanic kids who have turned out great. Their scouting department should get kudos. 

Agreed, they built depth into their roster too so that even w/their injuries ChiSox are on another roll (W5) & have moved %age pts past Hou

& as PCBob said, Brewiz, W10 - JBJ may not hit much, but the Say Hey Kid himself, Willie Mays, 90, would’ve admired the double play Jackie pulled last night - sleight of hand second to none, & his throw back to 1B was a cannon shot

Sox W8 - Dodgiz (W7) also goin - we gotta keep winning these series, TB won’t slump forever - watta team, let’s go boys,  #9, #9, #9, #9…🤪✌️

This post was modified 3 months ago by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2021 10:43 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Peach Extraordianire

@bill_graham 

True enough. It just seem like the Yankee "way" to do something like that if you will. To me anyway. I've always really liked Brett Gardner. But when your center fielder is barely hitting .200, that is telling. They wouldn't get a bag of used balls trading him but they do have tradable pieces as you said. I'm sure Chapman would get you something and if I could unload Stanton's contract on someone I would consider trading him. I have no idea what their farm system looks like but they need an arm or two in the rotation. They have tried in that department.

I love Gardner  but he is at the end of the line but is still a useful player compared to the other options they have to play CF. He is still an excellent defensive player. The only reason he is playing so much is Hicks got injured, again, and is out for the year and they don't have another true CF  on the roster or in the minors ready for the show . Terrible contract they signed with Hicks. He has talent but the man is always hurt so never understood why they gave him that long term deal.

If the team is not going to make the playoffs there is no real need for an elite closer so I would trade Chapman and Britton. Also Green if they get the right offer. 

On the offensive side they don't have much to offer, unless they want to trade core talent and do a complete rebuild, but Voight might bring back some prospects. Stanton has a full no trade so he is not going anywhere unless it is the Dodgers which I can't see happening as he is a DH at this point and there is no DH in the NL. When he was with the Marlins he had a no trade and killed a trade with the Giants which is why he ended up with the Yankees. He basically told Jeter he would only go to the Yanks and Dodgers and the rest is history.

The Yankee farm system is lacking pitching depth at AAA but has a lot of big arm talent at the lower levels so there is no help for the big club on the horizon this year. The two best AAA pitching prospects Garcia and Schmidt are not ready due to the former regressing and losing command and the later having arm issues and currently rehabbing.

Severino should be back by August, as long as there are no rehab setbacks, but coming off TJ surgery they need to go slow with him so not sure he can be counted on to be a major contributer this year.

They also have strong depth at the lower farm levels at catcher and middle infield so some chips are there for trades. The question remains, do they want to strip mine the future to take a shot this year? If they trade the top prospects and it fails to put them over the top it could take years to recover  and rebuild their farm system and the team could be mediocre until they do.

Steinbrenner said in a presser the other day he is willing to above the cap if any trades would make a difference this year. JMO but I am not sure one or two pieces would put them over the top.

This post was modified 3 months ago by Bill_Graham
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2021 11:28 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

https://sports.yahoo.com/kyle-schwarber-nationals-exits-game-apparent-hamstring-injury-002341090.html

This is a shame. As a Flubs fan, you could definitely have kind of a love/hate opinion on the guy. When he was in left field and a ball was hit his way, you held your breath. He would make some amazing plays and then blow an easy play. Flubs decided he couldn't cut it as a catcher, although he has a great arm. He is always fun to watch at the plate. Him and Ohtani are the most fun parts of the first half of the season.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 4, 2021 7:36 am
Page 42 / 52
Share: