The Allman Brothers Band
MLB: Tampa Bay Rays...

Notifications
Clear all

MLB: Tampa Bay Rays Still in First Place!

1,910 Posts
31 Users
98 Likes
158.6 K Views
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I'm watching the MLB Network and they showed highlights from yesterday's Tiggers / White Sux game and MIggy got a few hits. So I looked up his career stats. He needs six homers to get to 500 and 79 hits to get to 3,000. This is a great big if, but IF he is in the lineup pretty much every day through the rest of the season he could reach both thresholds by year's end. At which point I would hope they part ways. He ain't worth $30m a year.

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : July 4, 2021 8:39 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yeah he’s making $30M this year, then 32M over the final two years of the 8-year extension he signed in 2015 - all guaranteed money - tough for a team to absorb, & almost for sure they’ll buy him out after this season -

or, if he wanted to continue, he’d have to agree to a drastically-reduced contract in line w/where he is as a player Now - would be great to see him attain those milestones this season, that would make retirement a natural

the other aging 1st baseman/1st-ballot HOFer, Albert Puljos (.223, 11/38) is mostly in a pinch hitting/spot starter role now - he should just announce now he’s retiring at the end of the season so Cards fans could give him big love when LAD visits StL in Sept

let’s go Sox, can’t win em all but that one stung last night, we had it - win 2day, we take series

Posted : July 4, 2021 10:27 am
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @lee

I'm watching the MLB Network and they showed highlights from yesterday's Tiggers / White Sux game and MIggy got a few hits. So I looked up his career stats. He needs six homers to get to 500 and 79 hits to get to 3,000. This is a great big if, but IF he is in the lineup pretty much every day through the rest of the season he could reach both thresholds by year's end. At which point I would hope they part ways. He ain't worth $30m a year.

He was the best player in baseball for a while. Just couldn’t make it all last for great periods of time like the everlasting legends. 

HOFer?

Posted : July 4, 2021 10:50 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@cmgst34 

Hell yes he's a HOFer. The last handful of seasons have been difficult to watch but I think his stats speak for themselves.  And we all know that baseball is a statistic driven sport. To a terrible extreme these days in my opinion.

Outside of the steroid guys and Pete Rose there's nobody with 500 homers or 3,000 hits who isn't in.

Posted : July 5, 2021 7:16 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The greatest basebrawl ever. I remember watching this game when I was a kid. Boy was this exciting! I think it was on TBS and they showed everything. They even cut from one scene to another when something different broke out. I love it when Champ Summers "attacks" the Braves dugout. I have a handful of newspaper clippings of it. Kept ithem all these years. 

Scroll down a bit and you should be able to watch the video.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/braves-padres-fight-brawl-august-12-1984-pascual-perez-alan-wiggins/17ozuqr13fhut1v9j1fsnj47vz

Posted : July 5, 2021 7:49 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

I would enjoy the Cubbies losing 9 in a row even more if the Cardinals could win a game .....   

Posted : July 5, 2021 6:34 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Gotta have this one tonite

we see Shohei tmrw nite

not since Babe Ruth of the Boston Red Sox has an everyday player made the impact Ohtani has made this season -

why do I think we’re in for a reincarnation of the Babe tmtw nite - so it’s key to get this one tonite

The Bambino didn’t pitch for NYY, but w/the Sox, he was in the same conversation w/Big Six, Eddie Plank, the Big Train, Mordecai “3 fingers” Brown & all the top Ps as he mowed em down w/regularity in brand new Fenway Park

now, some 100 years later, this great player for the Angels is playing both positions too - &, like the Sultan of Swat, leading the league in HRs - tip of the hat & biggest ups to him

let’s go Sox

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : July 5, 2021 10:53 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @sang

I would enjoy the Cubbies losing 9 in a row even more if the Cardinals could win a game .....   

10 now. Insane. Two weeks ago they were 9 games over .500 and in first place. Now they are a game under and are in third place. It doesn't help that Milwaukee has been on a roll. They've lost like 12 games in the standings to The Brewers in two weeks! 😪  

Posted : July 6, 2021 6:48 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@stephen 

Did you see he is going to pitch and bat in the All-Star Game. That's really neat. AND he's in the Home Run Derby. Pundits have questioned how long he can keep up his pace. Very impressive.

I don't know about this but my friend said something about when he gets pulled if he's pitching, the Angels will put him in right field so they keep his bat in the lineup.  

This post was modified 3 years ago by Lee

Posted : July 6, 2021 6:53 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

That is the bomb alright Lee - he’ll be a walking All Star game by himself - the type of player who could gain huge popularity

bit not tonite😮 - 60 IP spread over 12 starts - brings in a 3-1 record w/a 3.60 ERA - didn’t get out of 1st inning last start - we shall see😀⚾️ 

btw did you see that Atl used a pitcher, Max Fried, as a pinch hitter in a crucial spot - & he came thru w/the game winning hit - shades of Sonny Siebert😮🌞 - cool to see these forgotten aspects of the game, also CGs, brought back occasionally

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : July 6, 2021 7:52 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@stephen 

Heh, no I didn't see the Max Fried thing. He's a very good pitcher, didn't know he is known as a good hitting pitcher. That's the opposite of what you see, a team will put in a position player to pitch if the game is a blowout and they don't wanna use their bullpen. Remember earlier this year when Anthony Rizzo struck out Freddie Freeman in Atlanta? They were both laughing their butts off.

As to CGs, that is obviously a lost art. I never knew Sonny Siebert was known for that but it was a different time. When I was a kid I always liked Jack Morris throwing them for my Tiggers. Seemed like he always led the league. 

Posted : July 6, 2021 8:04 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

@stephen 

Administrative leave. That's a new one. What the hell does that mean? And where did they come up with seven days? So basically he's being suspended for one start. I imagine this thing taking quite a while to play out. I still don't understand why she went back to see him again. She probably should have gone to the cops and/or hospital if she was bleeding from where she claims.

Yeah it makes no sense to me either - but you’re quite right, this will go longer than the original 7 day ‘leave’ period - mayb they’ll suspend him next, based on their administrative findings - or they might reinstate him too🤷🏽

In the Chicago bullpens, Falter did just that for Cubs tonite - Bummer - oh and Aaron is rehabbing for ChiSox

let’s go BoSox, maybe we can get something going when they take Shohei out - he’s also beaten us w/the bat so far

Posted : July 6, 2021 11:20 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

@cmgst34 

Hell yes he's a HOFer. The last handful of seasons have been difficult to watch but I think his stats speak for themselves.  And we all know that baseball is a statistic driven sport. To a terrible extreme these days in my opinion.

Outside of the steroid guys and Pete Rose there's nobody with 500 homers or 3,000 hits who isn't in.

I would agree, he’s been consistently great thruout almost his whole career - 1st full year (w/Fla., 2004), .294, 33 HR, 112 RBI -

matched his power #s in 2005 (33/116) - & merely added 29 points to his BA for a .323 average

& has mostly been above those #s ever since - even that 1 year when his power #s were down (18/76), he won the batting title w/a .338 average

& all the-while, has hardly ever missed a game - that’s big in my voting book

His last full season, 2019, wasn’t a huge bust - missed some games & ended up playing 136 games w/a .288 BA, also w/a way below-par 12/59

it’s all subjective but he’d get my vote the 1st time it came around

This post was modified 3 years ago 3 times by Stephen

Posted : July 6, 2021 11:47 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @stephen

@stephen 

Administrative leave. That's a new one. What the hell does that mean? And where did they come up with seven days? So basically he's being suspended for one start. I imagine this thing taking quite a while to play out. I still don't understand why she went back to see him again. She probably should have gone to the cops and/or hospital if she was bleeding from where she claims.

Yeah it makes no sense to me either - but you’re quite right, this will go longer than the original 7 day ‘leave’ period - mayb they’ll suspend him next, based on their administrative findings - or they might reinstate him too🤷🏽

In the Chicago bullpens, Falter did just that for Cubs tonite - Bummer - oh and Aaron is rehabbing for ChiSox

let’s go BoSox, maybe we can get something going when they take Shohei out - he’s also beaten us w/the bat so far

This is gonna get even more interesting.

https://sports.yahoo.com/dodgers-manager-dave-roberts-trevor-bauer-return-all-star-break-233259363.html

Regarding the Flubs, yeah they stink. I don't understand with a roster that they have, their play is so poor. I had a discussion with a Flubs friend of mine about a week or two ago and I said they are gonna let Arrieta go. He disagreed. After last night? That was brutal. They must have someone at Iowa that can pitch better than him.

They shouldn't have traded Darvish.

Posted : July 7, 2021 10:19 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Painful for Tribe, they’ve fallen flat on their faces crash-landing to .500 w/an L9 - capped today by 14 innings of twinbill ugliness (combined 13-1 score, Indians all of 4 hits) 

they led Tygiz by 10 or more games last month, now it’s 3 & a half

Darn it! couldn’t get the series, & now, coming up after the ASGame…..pinstripes…..8 games in 11 days worth, starting next week - yep the hated Bronx Bombiz - it won’t be 4 sweeps in a row, that much is virtually certain

Sawx gotta be humble - & they are - Cora’s return has been huge - last series, Phils (b4 AS break)

This post was modified 3 years ago 3 times by Stephen

Posted : July 7, 2021 10:15 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@stephen 

Yeah regarding the Tribe, the White Sux now have the biggest division lead in MLB.

Posted : July 8, 2021 4:01 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

So The Flubs try to build on their one-game winning streak tonight against the Sillys. 😉 

Interesting article in The Sun Times here today as they put Arrieta on the injured list. I don't know if he is injured as much as he simply can't pitch anymore. It'll be interesting to see what the Cubs do as the trade deadline nears. It's frustrating rooting for a team and they are so mismanaged at the top. But everything in Detroit is a mess.

But I guess living in Chicago, their fans should be used to it. At least I don't like the Bears. They are good for entertainment value I must say. 😛  

Posted : July 8, 2021 5:54 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yeah what does this next 7 day stint have in store - weird that they’re doing it this way - doesn’t look promising for Bauer or LAD w/Clayton (inflamed forearm) now sidelined - but look at Urias, possible 20 game winner - his team photo on their espn page is the best of em all, he looks like an alien w/x-ray vision👽

but yeah, ChiSox in command & more, & reports are Eloy Jiminez has mended fast & will return shortly after AS break - very good player, like Miguel Cabrera had no sophomore jinx - added 29 points to his BA after a solid rookie year

I dunno Lee, Tygiz seem like they’re on the upswing & could solidify w/Twins - same thing, they play MN going into & coming out of the break

Sox just gotta be on the upswing too coming outta AS break, by Phlattening Phils, let’s go Sox

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : July 8, 2021 8:23 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Why tease me about my Tiggers? I would be totally shocked if they finished .500. 😮 

Posted : July 8, 2021 9:15 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Don't even tease me on the Tiggers. There's no way in hell they can make a run of it. 

🤙think you’re selling em short b - yeah Twins won tonite - but Det had won 11 of 16 coming in - if they won these series w/MN bookending the AS game they’d only be 3-4 games below .500, but more-so On A Roll, likely not to playoffs but who knows….⚾️
as you said b4, jury still out on Tigers, but yow, 2 veterans, Yu Darvish & Max Scherzer, knocked outta the box early, SD erases 8-0 deficit

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : July 8, 2021 11:42 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well, the Flubs are back to their hijinks and going to start another losing streak. Last night was awful. When you put this article on your team's homepage, that is telling. Why would anyone pay about 70 bucks to see this team? Even though this weekend is St Louis and they travel well.

https://www.mlb.com/cubs/news/cubs-lose-finale-to-phillies-trade-deadline-plans

Yeah that Padre game was something. I didn't see any video of it but the crowd must have gone nuts. They are a fun team to watch.

Posted : July 9, 2021 10:03 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yeah that Padre game was something. I didn't see any video of it but the crowd must have gone nuts. They are a fun team to watch.

For sure a game that had everything - including a rookie reliever hitting a grand slam HR off Mad Max!

🤙good wknd⚾️ 

Posted : July 9, 2021 10:26 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Shohei became the 6th player to drill one into the upper deck in Seattle - official estimate 463 feet, Joe Maddon & others in dugout said definitely over 500 feet

he’s on pace for 61 HR, & is the 1st player since Albert Puljos in 2006 to have 33 HR in his 1st 82 games

will be rooting for Shohei every time Maddon hands him the ball - great to see what he’s doing -

one teammate said, “we talk about Shohei all the time, but we don’t talk about him enough”

Posted : July 10, 2021 9:15 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

we gotta keep winning these series, TB won’t slump forever 

Sure enough they’re W6 & just 1.5 back after our bullpen imploded today - break is coming at a good time to hopefully cool them off again

Jon Lester got knocked outta the box today, albeit by top team SF - our last series of the season is w/Wash & if right is right he’ll pitch what could well be his career finale vs BoSox, where it all began for him - 8 yrs w/Sox, Oakland rental deal in 2014, then 6 yrs w/Cubbies

after pitching your whole career in the 2 most ‘iconic’ stadiums in baseball, anything else is a comedown - that said, Jon is washed up 

ups must be acknowledged - Gerrit Cole, CG 3-hitter, 1-0 over a good Hou team - 12 K, 2 BB

This post was modified 3 years ago 6 times by Stephen

Posted : July 10, 2021 7:40 pm
Bill_Graham reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Amazing pitching performance by Cole against the best hitting team in baseball. Two days ago he was getting IV's for some mysterious illness and last night throws  complete game shutout. Clutch performance.

Still not convinced the Yanks can turn their season around but if they do this series against th Astros could be the spark.

Will be interesting to see if they are buyers at the trade deadline.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : July 11, 2021 10:40 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @bill_graham

Amazing pitching performance by Cole against the best hitting team in baseball. Two days ago he was getting IV's for some mysterious illness and last night throws  complete game shutout. Clutch performance.

Still not convinced the Yanks can turn their season around but if they do this series against th Astros could be the spark.

Will be interesting to see if they are buyers at the trade deadline.

Do they have any money? Oh wait, it's the Yankees, they can buy whatever they want. 😉 

Posted : July 11, 2021 4:58 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Flubs called today's 1:20 game this morning. It was sprinkling, then it kind of rained but nothing horrible. Never even took the tarp off the field. What the hell? The weather has been okay all day. What's next? Call a September game if The Farmer's Almanac says it might rain? 🙄 

Posted : July 11, 2021 5:19 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Stephen - 

This is interesting.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cubs-blowing-red-sox-bring-162606446.html

Posted : July 11, 2021 6:51 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Guess I got excited too soon. Terrible loss by the Yanks  today blowing a 5 run lead to the Stros in the 9th.

Keep hoping they are sellers but we shall see.

Posted : July 11, 2021 6:54 pm
Page 43 / 64
Share: