RIP, Marvelous Marvin Hagler

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Belongs front & center w/any of the greatest middleweights from Stanley Ketchel to Carlos Monzon

his 3 round fight w/Thomas Hearns was one for the ages, but so also was his 3 rounder w/Alan Minter

there are few 15 rounders more tenacious/gripping/spirited/intense than Hagler-Antuofermo - tremendous competition

a rarity in boxing in that he retired & stayed retired - made a good thing out of acting, sure Marvin may not have won any Oscars but his 2 Indio films anyway are great action movies

very surprised & saddened to hear this - no cause of death given - died at his home in NH

RIP, sir

This topic was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : March 13, 2021 11:43 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

So sad to hear.  In my mind - arguably the best of the best - all weight classes and eras considered.  Hagler was intense and had a no-nonsense approach.  Not nearly as flashy as Sugar Ray Leonard - who captivated the public attention with bolo-punches and Muhammad Ali shuffles.  In their only bout, I just felt that Ray didn't "take" the fight.  He was given the decision, but most of the punches that he landed were little more than glancing blows.  I won't say that Marvin was robbed, but I think that an honest decision could've easily gone Marvin's way.  I was a huge boxing fan in those days and Marvelous Marvin Hagler brought me some thrills!  God rest him now.

Posted : March 14, 2021 6:46 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Of course it’s two dfrnt worlds etc but still, during the 50th year of the Fillmore shows, earlier that week in NYC was the ultimate sports event ever

NOTHING will ever top Ali-Frazier I

March 8 1971 - 
good read about it earlier this week, accompanied by the coolest photo of a jam-packed Chicago Stadium with an IMAX-size TV screen at one end

the closed-circuit crowd 

venues Everywhere were similarly SRO

saw Leonard-Duran I on closed circuit at the Gahdn, then later that summer on closed circuit, Hearns-Cuevas, in a smaller venue

RIP, Marvelous Marvin Hagler

no official cause of death yet revealed

*my gosh how could I forget the other CC bout I went to (especially in this thread)

Hagler-Hearns - still have my ticket too

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : March 14, 2021 8:42 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member
Topic starter

There it is - after 12+ years outta the ring, a blast from the past as the Golden Boy, Oscar De La Hoya, 48, is returning to the ring

Real similar to George Foreman’s comeback re age, time away - also, like George, Oscar plans several bouts, it’s not a one-off

1st one July 3 - no opponent named yet - yes there has - the tomato can known as Joe Palooka - a household name not even in his own household etc - Oscar’s at least gotta win the 1st one - he’ll be a safe opponent

Posted : March 26, 2021 11:33 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Hagler,one of the best!

I came across this video while watching some clips of Marvin.

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : March 27, 2021 3:59 am
Share: