Your Most Underrated ABB Songs

4 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Ok, we've all piled on our bathroom break tunes, time to balance the universe. What's an ABB tune that might not be in most fans' top 20 that you think never got enough love? Or any love? (excluding random covers of their contemporaries like "Blind Willie McTell" or "Ain't No Love in the Heart of the City", etc)

"Just Another Love Song" - really sweet tune by Dickey that didn't need to be stretched out which made it a peculiar ABB track. But, had the band been more interested it had the potential to be a nice melancholic set piece for Chuck and Dickey.

"Just Ain't Easy" - A lot of fans consider this the best tune from Enlightened Rogues and one of Gregg's best tunes, so maybe it's not underrated. Aside from a few surprise appearances at the Beacon, the song was largely forgotten by Gregg and the band.

"Desert Blues" - the Allman Brothers rarely had much topical to say, makes it kind of unique. Even fans who love Shades high points will admit the album had some filler, but "Desert Blues" is definitely a step above the generic "Midnight Man" (which I actually don't dislike thanks to Gregg's swagger). Dickey's "LaGrange"-style "how how how" are pretty fun and I guess I'm a sucker for tune with a solid groove and some slide ("Let Me Ride", "Mountain to Climb").

"All Night Train" - overshadowed by "Devil's Sea" in the drugs as modes of transportation allegory on the same album, I always thought it was a solid, gritty tune.

"Firing Line" - what a great way to kick off their first studio album in nearly a decade. It cracked it's way into the set list now and then, but I still think the studio track gets the groove perfect.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : July 18, 2022 5:12 pm
MartinD28
(@martind28)
Famed Member

Yep - "Just Ain't Easy". Really like that song.

Posted : July 18, 2022 7:47 pm
Delawhere
(@delawhere)
Estimable Member

My choice is really under the radar -- Shine it On, from the Seven Turns album. Hits you right in the face, a la Statesboro Blues, and I think it should have led off that album. Plus they almost never played it live. Oh, well...

Posted : July 19, 2022 2:11 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@delawhere I always liked that tune too. I never thought about it being the opener, but you're absolutely right.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : July 19, 2022 2:35 pm
Share: