The Allman Brothers Band
Who are some of you...

Notifications
Clear all

Who are some of your favorite musicians?

25 Posts
13 Users
3 Likes
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I know  a lot of time that answer will usually fall into guitar players for the most part when talking about Rock based music. Its an easy choice given that alot of that genre of music can be based around on what the guitar does,speaks,its out front, the theatrics and etc.....if you get my drfit.

I would be the first one to admit I probably would pick a guitarist. It could be a bassist,drummer,keyboard player,singer,someone who writes great music,or any other instrument that speaks to you and moves you.

It's hard to list just one as a favorite. I personally have a group of fav's , to hard to pick just one. I could list a guitar player ,but will hold off on that for the time being.

As alot of you can see who my avatar is. Definitely way towards to top of my list for sure. Really dont need to explain why, the name and playing speaks for it self.

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : January 21, 2021 9:37 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I saw John with Led Zeppelin in 1974 and he was powerful and good. Played without sticks some.

Above is Buddy Rich.  Best drummer I ever saw but not a rocker. The above drum solo is from another planet.

Posted : January 21, 2021 9:48 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Stevie Wonder, Steve Winwood, Stephen Stills, Paul McCartney play multiple instruments equally well - they’re among my favorite musicians

yep burnin drum solos right there alright✊

Posted : January 21, 2021 10:09 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

I hear what you are saying, I actually am not a huge "rock guitar" guy and go for musicianship first. That's why the members of the The Band are so impressive, they can pick up just about anything and play it.

Mulatu Astatke is an Ethiopian jazz musician who blends a bunch of genres together. One of the most amazing concert experience I've ever had was hearing Mulatu at The Met's Egyptian Temple room. That was magical.

Herbie Hancock has been a part of the jazz scene in the late 50s and 60s and then pushed the envelope in the 70s through today. So many different sounds, but it always sounds a little like Herbie.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 21, 2021 10:35 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Favorite guitar player right now his Jack Pearson and his 90 dollar guitars.

Yes the Band has great musicians.  Up on Cripple Creek we go.

Posted : January 21, 2021 10:42 am
redhouse1969
(@redhouse1969)
Reputable Member

The usual guitar suspects... including Ronnie Earl, Larry Campbell & Jimmie Vaughan.

Posted : January 21, 2021 11:15 am
JimSheridan
(@jimsheridan)
Noble Member

Tommy Bolin.

Alex Chilton.

Mick Taylor.

Steve Hackett. 

Jeff Tweedy.

Pete Townsend. 

Posted : January 21, 2021 8:22 pm
50split
(@50split)
Estimable Member

richard thompson

jimmy smith

john coltrane

roy buchanan

david lindley

duane and dickie

rory gallagher

Posted : January 22, 2021 12:11 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

The rhythm guitar Jack Pearson plays on this video during the organ solo is just sensational!! Lead, slide,  rhythm,  electric or acoustic...Jack Pearson knocks it completely out of the park!

Posted : January 22, 2021 12:59 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The Lord  . Go to the 1:13:03 min mark of Deep Purple In Concert 70-72,video below .Space Trucking. He throws down some funky organ playing on the intro and just some great playing throughout the whole song.

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : January 23, 2021 8:44 am
rlittlewood reacted
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

A bit outside the artists we’d expect, aside from ABB and Clapton, my all time favorite band is Sublime. 

not the best musicians ever. Not the best songwriters ever (though their arrangements are superb and really what makes that band). 

but man, I love that band and love their music. Just happy to listen to their music. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by cmgst34

Posted : January 24, 2021 11:33 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

One of my favorites from the 1950's and 60's is Don Reno. Flatpicking guitar and 5 string banjo. Most people have never heard of him.

Blackmore in early Purple is a big favorite of mine. Last time I saw Blackmore that old Strat he played that night sure was beat up and ugly but it sounded like a million bucks. I still can see Smoke on the Water. 

Posted : January 25, 2021 10:56 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Don Reno on banjo. I'm sure you probably never heard of him. He played often in my hometown when I was a kid

Posted : January 25, 2021 11:09 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Dig that👏 As you said, had never heard of him - “founding father of bluegrass banjo,” wow😎

After listening, broke out an old cassette, the 1990 release American Banjo, Three Finger & Scruggs Style - Smithsonian Folkways Records, “recorded on site by Mike Seeger 1956, edited by Mike Seeger 1990, remastered, 16 songs added”....etc

thinking Don Reno might be on it, no go tho 

I love banjo music (who doesn’t), thx for the clips🤙

Posted : January 25, 2021 11:48 am
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

Duane

Dickie

Derek

Phil Lesh

Charlie Parker

Miles

Coltrane

Dave Weckl

Brian Blade

Billy Strings

Posted : January 25, 2021 1:45 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@stephen

Speaking of Earl Scruggs. 1955 show in Maryland and Don Reno and Earl Scruggs together. Everyone knows Earl.

Posted : January 25, 2021 3:26 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Another favorite of mine is old Gary. Next month gone 10 years. 

Here he is with STORMY MONDAY. And when Gary starts singing the CAMERA IS ALMOST INSIDE GARY'S MOUTH!!

I'll say this about Gary. No matter who your favorite guitar players are, they couldn't blow Gary off the stage.  Not even close to doing it be it Jeff Beck,  Derek Trucks. Ritchie Blackmore, Eddie Van Halen or Keith Richards or Skunk Baxter or Glen Campbell. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : January 25, 2021 10:12 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Why is Eric Clapton worth $450 million dollars and I am not?

Because he can sing and play like this and I can't.  

Wow how come EC is far far wealthier than Dickey and anyone who was ever in the ABB or Lynyrd Skynyrd or even Grinderswitch. 

Posted : January 25, 2021 11:19 pm
JayinPa
(@jayinpa)

Tony Rice, who passed away X-Mas day 2020 was known as a bluegrass guitar player but he played a lot of original acoustic jazz also, starting as a founding member of the David Grisman Quintet. Much like how Eddie Van Halen changed the way the electric guitar was played and influenced a generation in the 80's, Tony was doing the same thing with the acoustic guitar in the 80's.

Tony Rice Unit -Devlin

Tony Rice Unit -Swing 51

Posted : January 28, 2021 9:37 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@jayinpa When I was growing up a fine acoustic guitar player and banjo picker named Don Reno often played in my area. Real nice man too. 

Here is Don Reno with TONY RICE!!

Posted : January 28, 2021 11:16 am
JayinPa reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Ol' Junior Brown with his string contraption and handing out speeding tickets. 

Watched this every week in the 1950's. 10/4!!!!

Posted : January 28, 2021 11:47 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Historically? The list would be too long.

Present day besides some already mentioned:

Tinsley Ellis

Albert Castiglia

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : January 28, 2021 12:38 pm
rlittlewood
(@rlittlewood)
Trusted Member

tommy talton
jack pearson
jack bruce
ginger baker
randall bramblett
steve winwood
joe walsh
link wray
don was
lonnie mack
willie weeks
johnny sandlin played a helluva bass
carl radle
george harrison
leon russell
jim horn
alto reed
memphis horns
etc, etc, etc

i are mrs. capt skipper

Posted : February 1, 2021 8:19 am
fender31
(@fender31)
Noble Member

@cmgst34 Do you like the new singer for them?

Posted : February 6, 2021 8:57 am
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @fender31

@cmgst34 Do you like the new singer for them?

“Rome with Sublime?”

Haven’t ever even listened. Bradley was so much of that band I haven’t considered any later incarnation to be Sublime. 

The Long Beach Dub All-Stars put out a good album close after his death, that band had the surviving members in it. 

There is a very good cover band called Badfish, that I would see any chance I could. They’re really good.  Not sure if they’re even active anymore. Been a solid 5+ years since I saw them. But they’d pack a few thousand into venues when they’d come to Philly, so they were that good. 

Posted : February 6, 2021 11:30 am
fender31 reacted
Share: