The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

Which Allman Brothers songs are "rock n roll"?

theotherbrothers
(@theotherbrothers)
Peach Head

which songs by the Allmans do you consider to be pure rock-n-roll, such as Johnny B. Goode. I'll start:

Southbound

You Don't Love Me

Topic starter Posted : October 25, 2021 7:20 pm
Rusty liked
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire

"Nobody Left to Run With" - that's almost a straight lift from Bo Diddley!  

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2021 8:48 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Peach Extraordianire

Stand Back

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2021 10:00 pm
JimSheridan
(@jimsheridan)
Peach Extraordianire

Crazy Love

Firing Line

One Way Out

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 26, 2021 9:03 am
theotherbrothers
(@theotherbrothers)
Peach Head

i recently got into the Grateful Dead, and after hearing them do songs like One More Saturday Night, Beat It On Down the Line, Promised Land, U.S. Blues....they are a rock-n-roll band. it made me wonder, are the Allmans a rock-n-roll band? I don't recall them doing many songs with that Chuck Berry sound, not that I'm complaining. I'd say the Allman Brothers were a rock band first and foremost. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 26, 2021 9:22 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire

"Done Somebody Wrong" - a cover of Elmore James upbeat blues tune.  This is about as close as the Allman Brothers ever got to real, actual "Rock and Roll".

Slight digression  ... sorta - Every year when the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announces nominees for induction, there is the usual and predictable onslaught, "That IS NOT "Rock and Roll" music.  The protesters are most always correct.  Real, true and honest to gosh "Rock and Roll" music probably started to ... not die, but morph into new forms soon after the Beatles (who DID indeed start out playing "Rock and Roll" music).  This should in no way be taken as a slur against newer music - or should it color me as a "Get off of my lawn!" crusty old codger.  The same could be said about new forms of Jazz (it ain' Jazz, Kenny G - it's circular breathing!) and ... "New/Modern Country and Western (cowboy hats and inane lyrics - not how Hank woulda done it.  AT all!)

In my old age (64 1/2) - I would love to start an actual Rock and Roll band.  A bunch of 3 minute songs - covering Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis - and a few Beatles and "Stones tunes.  If nothing else, it'd be a helluva lot of fun!  😉 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 26, 2021 9:34 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@rusty One of the first Rock and Roll songs is said to be Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley and The Comets.

Where It All Begins has All Night Train, Sailing Across The Devil's Sea and What's Done Is Done which seem like rock and roll to me. 

But from the beginning much of the Allman Brothers music, even their take on a cover, has a unique ABB sound. 

I went to a senior citizens dance last Friday night and that generation still dances exactly like this!

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by robertdee
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2021 5:44 am
Rusty liked
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach

Thats tough to answer.  I think "Rock and Roll "can be used as an umbrella term to cover some genres/ sub categories of music...built over years of influences of many styles . I consider the ABB a rock band that uses different genres to influence and shine in they're material.

I was listening to a podcast ,"Booked On Rock". which I highly recommend, where they where talking about Alan Freed. I am going to go back to listen to it and post later about the term "Rock and Roll", that he  championed. 

As it was mentioned in the title of this thread  " pure rock-n-roll, such as Johnny B. Goode " , is that song considered to be pure Rock and Roll? I dont know, could be. I guess you could call it that if you want to base it on the time it came out and when the term was coined. So if you want to look at the ABB catalog and pick which one would fall into that statement, that's tough for me. I look at some of the responses above and scratch my head but see one that I might agree on.

Not trying to be nit picky or difficult here. Good topic and a tough one to slice for me!

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2021 8:27 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@jszfunk Here is pure Rock and Roll!!!

And some pure Rock and Roll from the hottest electric guitar ever anywhere in the milky way galaxy! 

This post was modified 3 months ago by robertdee
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2021 4:52 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

Here is Duane Allman singing some rock and roll or blues rock or something!! 

Duane Allman was wide open most days. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2021 5:18 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @jszfunk

As it was mentioned in the title of this thread  " pure rock-n-roll, such as Johnny B. Goode " , is that song considered to be pure Rock and Roll? I dont know, could be. I guess you could call it that if you want to base it on the time it came out and when the term was coined. So if you want to look at the ABB catalog and pick which one would fall into that statement, that's tough for me. I look at some of the responses above and scratch my head but see one that I might agree on.

Not trying to be nit picky or difficult here. Good topic and a tough one to slice for me!

I understood the example of Johnny B Goode & others in the OP to be early rock n roll. They were all short, uptempo, & in 4/4 time. Still, some of it verges on what I'd call rockabilly (sp?). Maybe 1-2 of the Allman Joys could fall in the rock n roll category, but there's so much depth to even the early ABB stuff, it doesn't quite fit the genre.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2021 6:14 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
World Class Peach

The original lineup actually did play Johnny B. Goode at a show in January '71.

I struggle to come up with an original that would be a rock and roll genre song, at least to me.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." Dean Wormer

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2021 8:13 pm
Rusty liked
griff
(@griff)
Extreme Peach

American music has two main roots.

African music which was based in the south and became Blues and Jazz.

And Appalachian Mountain music which became Bluegrass and Country.

I would say The Allman Brothers were Blues and Jazz mainly with some Rock;n Roll.

Duane Allman knew how to make some fine tasting musical gumbo!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2021 11:45 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @jszfunk

..." pure rock-n-roll, such as Johnny B. Goode " , is that song considered to be pure Rock and Roll? I dont know, could be. ... 

In my own humble opinion, "Johnny B Good" is as near to the basic foundation of "Rock and Roll" music as one can get.  John Lennon once said, "if you were going to call Rock and Roll by another name, it should be Chuck Berry."  The Johnny B Good riff was copied and incorporated by ... just about everything that came immediately after it.  The Rolling Stones certainly borrowed it - as did the Beach Boys, Elvis and most every other act that surfaced following the Golden Age of Rock and Roll.  I'd be willing to bet that if you surveyed a group of folks who were around at the time of the song - and for the next ten years or so following to name a single song that exemplified "Rock and Roll" music  that most would cite Johnny B Good.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 9:42 am
Share: