Will be playing Berry today

16 Posts
9 Users
5 Likes
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Today will mark 48 years of losing B.O. What a bass player he was. He brought so much to the ABB sound. Play on Berry!!!

Posted : November 11, 2020 8:32 am
StratDal reacted
peach-head
(@peach-head)
Reputable Member

my copy of the Final Note arrived today, gonna be blasting that all afternoon. R.I.P. Berry, gone but will never be forgotten.

Posted : November 11, 2020 9:41 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

With all due respect to later ABB base players, Berry's style and approach was huge in defining the classic cornerstone Allman Brothers sound. Oakley should be first on anyone's ranking of ABB bass players. 

I would be remiss not to mention what great, outstanding players Larmar Williams, Allen Woody and Otiel were.

Posted : November 11, 2020 10:53 am
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

yep

Fillmore West is in the CD player

Posted : November 11, 2020 1:59 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Will definitely be playing Stonybrook 9/19/71 today.

The one better quality version of Blue Sky live and an epic version at that. Bobo's opinion was despite how well everyone was playing Berry owned that version. Can't say that I disagree.

RIP Berry Oakley.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : November 11, 2020 2:22 pm
Wayne and salcapitano reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Berry Oakley isolated bass track "Blue Sky"

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : November 11, 2020 5:00 pm
Wayne reacted
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I was just thinking this morning how cool it would be to hear Berry's isolated track since we have Duane and Dickey's. Poof, dream came true. Thanks for posting and sharing the love that is the Allman Brothers Band. B.O. was one of a kind for sure. 

Posted : November 11, 2020 6:21 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@steved sometimes you just need to ask The Universe.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : November 11, 2020 6:24 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

ABBsolutely, & never saw that photo from the Arness ranch b4 either - cool, thx

Posted : November 11, 2020 7:05 pm
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Thanks PCBob. I guess I did and it was answered! Long live the ABB!

Posted : November 11, 2020 8:30 pm
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Noble Member

Posted by: @steved

Today will mark 48 years of losing B.O. What a bass player he was. He brought so much to the ABB sound. Play on Berry!!!

It was Duane's band but Berry made it go.  Les Brers In A Minor says it all.

Rock In Peace Berry.

Posted : November 11, 2020 8:33 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I played Mountain Jam on Eat A Peach.

Focus on Berry and hang on for a real ride.

Berry even says "Thank you hope you have a nice weekend" at the end.

Posted : November 12, 2020 10:50 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Someone just told me if you start Mountain Jam from Eat A Peach 50 miles south of Atlanta, it ends when you get to Macon. 

Butch always said that was the worst Mountain Jam they did back then but they put it on Eat A Peach for Duane. It was the only version they had on high quality multitrack tape recorded with a remote truck outside the Fillmore with Tom Dowd. 

Berry is still awesome all the way to me and so are all of them including Butchie.

Posted : November 13, 2020 11:06 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yeah, never could understand Butch saying that - with all the versions that’ve come out over the years we woulda heard what he was talking about, but to my ears it’s EAP, & not just b/c of superior sound

millions of listens over the years might be a factor, But Still In All, w/all-open ears None have the power/dynamics/energy/fire/communication/mood swings/Brilliance of EAP’s, well recorded or not -

example, 2/28/71 Dreams, Brewer Fldhse is my all time fave tho sound quality is average

7/9/70 SUNY student union bldg became my 2nd favorite Mtn Jam when it was unearthed

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : November 13, 2020 8:09 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

But the thread is about Berry, & his presence on Little Martha imho makes it the find of all unearthed finds - beautifully recorded by Johnny Sandlin, & now BO playing so melodically - those 3 cats were so in the pocket

BO’s 1/25/72 Mtn Jam solo is my 2nd favorite - power, majesty, & boy would I love to hear a well recorded version - it was on the radio - my copy isn’t bad (B+ or so), you just realize how sick a good copy would sound - xclnt Les Brers too🙃

Posted : November 13, 2020 9:59 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Barry is a monster on this ...especially during the guitar solos. Keeping it solid and the groove , but going off too!!

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : November 14, 2020 2:02 am
Share: