UFO’s legendary Str...

Notifications
Clear all

UFO’s legendary Strangers In The Night live album set for deluxe reissue  

RSS
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach

https://www.loudersound.com/news/ufos-legendary-strangers-in-the-night-live-album-set-for-deluxe-reissue

UFO’s classic live album Strangers In The Night is to be reissued as a deluxe version later this year.

It was recorded over six shows during the band’s 1978 US tour and released as a double album the following year, with the new version set to arrive on November 20 through Chrysalis as an 8CD box set and on double vinyl.

Not only will the box set contain the original album, but all six shows from Chicago, Kenosha, Youngstown, Cleveland, Columbus and Louisville will also be included in the box set for the very first time.

They’ve been remixed by Richard Whittaker and remastered by Andy Pearce from the original tapes, with the standalone 2LP version covering the Youngstown concert coming out on October 24 to mark this year’s third Record Store Day drop.

long with the music, the package will include new sleeve notes by Michael Hann and new interviews with Phil Mogg, Andy Parker and Michael Schenker. 

Vocalist Mogg says: “We had the right combination and we were having a wild time. We seemed to score in the oddest places, Chicago was great for us, wonderful. San Francisco, which is the opposite kind of place, was great for us. 

“They were two totally different cities. It was fun – we leaned heavily on that word. We had a great time.”

Drummer Parker adds: “It feels like our defining record and it always will do. We were at our peak and never quite achieved that status again. We were at the apex of our career, and it just exemplifies the band. It will always be my favourite.”

The UFO lineup for Strangers In The Night featured Mogg, Parker and Schenker along with the late Pete Way and Paul Raymond.

UFO: Strangers In The Night Deluxe Edition

CD1: Original album
1. Natural Thing
2. Out In The Street
3. Only You Can Rock Me
4. Doctor Doctor
5. Mother Mary
6. This Kid's
7. Love To Love

CD2: Original album
8. Lights Out
9. Rock Bottom
10. Too Hot To Handle
11. I'm A Loser
12. Let It Roll
13. Shoot Shoot

CD3: Chicago, Illinois 13/10/78
1. Hot N Ready
2. Pack It Up (And Go)
3. Cherry
4. Let It Roll
5. Love To Love
6. Only You Can Rock Me
7. Ain't No Baby
8. Out In The Street
9. Doctor Doctor
10. Lights Out
11. Rock Bottom
12. Too Hot To Handle
13. Shoot Shoot

CD4: Kenosha, Wisconsin 14/10/78
1. Hot 'N' Ready
2. Pack It Up (And Go)
3. Cherry
4. Let It Roll
5. Love To Love
6. Only You Can Rock Me
7. Ain't No Baby
8. Out In The Street
9. Doctor Doctor
10. Lights Out
11. Rock Bottom
12. Too Hot To Handle

CD5: Youngstown, Ohio 15/10/1978
1. Hot N Ready
2. Pack It Up (And Go)
3. Cherry
4. Let It Roll
5. Love To Love
6. Natural Thing
7. Out On The Street
8. Only You Can Rock Me
9. On With The Action
10. Doctor Doctor
11. Lights Out
12. Rock Bottom
13. Too Hot To Handle
14. Shoot Shoot

CD6: Cleveland, Ohio 16/10/78
1. Hot And Ready
2. Pack It Up And Go
3. Cherry
4. Let It Roll
5. Love To Love
6. Natural Thing
7. Out In The Street
8. Only You Can Rock Me
9. On With The Action
10. Doctor Doctor
11. I'm A Loser
12. Lights Out
13. Rock Bottom
14. Too Hot To Handle
15. Shoot Shoot

CD7: Columbus, Ohio 17/10/78
1. Hot And Ready
2. Pack It Up And Go
3. Cherry
4. Let It Roll
5. Love To Love
6. Natural Thing
7. Out In The Street
8. Too Hot To Handle
9. I'm A Loser
10. On With The Action
11. Doctor Doctor
12. Lights Out
13. Rock Bottom
14. Shoot Shoot

CD8: Louisville, Kentucky 18/10/78
1. Hot N Ready
2. Pack It Up (And Go)
3. Cherry
4. Let It Roll
5. Love To Love
6. Natural Thing
7. Out In The Street
8. Only You Can Rock Me
9. On With The Action
10. Doctor Doctor
11. I'm A Loser
12. Lights Out
13. Rock Bottom
14. Too Hot To Handle
15. Shoot Shoot

Posted : September 21, 2020 3:52 pm
mjallen liked
mjallen
(@mjallen)
Peach Pro

Thanks for the info.  Looks fantastic!  This was one of my favorite albums of the time.  It doesn't do for me what it once did

since I have been listening to almost all live music since 1985 but still some great memories and a release I am interested in.

Maybe this new release will put it back in rotation

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2020 4:57 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Peach Extraordianire

It's a great record which I've owned for years.  But man, you'd have to be SOME kind of fan to want 7 different shows which are nearly identical set lists.  But I'm sure there are serious enthusiasts who will buy it..........just not me.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2020 8:16 pm
mjallen and matt05 liked
matt05
(@matt05)
A Peach Supreme
Posted by: @robslob

It's a great record which I've owned for years.  But man, you'd have to be SOME kind of fan to want 7 different shows which are nearly identical set lists.  But I'm sure there are serious enthusiasts who will buy it..........just not me.  

agreed

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2020 10:39 pm
mjallen liked
mjallen
(@mjallen)
Peach Pro
Posted by: @matt05

agreed

I agree with that too.  I was thinking that they must have some reason for releasing so many shows with nearly the same set list.

My ex would say the same thing about all of the ABB, Dead, Santana, Fairport, Dickey, Lanois, Rowan, Dylan and RT that I have

and probably a few others. I realize that they are different animals and I may just check out a friend's copy first to see what its

like.  Couldn't tell you how many times I listened to that original album when I was younger and it was exactly the same every

time.  Whether I buy greatly depends on what I get it for but I am interested in hearing it.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2020 5:40 am
matt05 liked
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach

I am a HUGE UFO fan. That's why I posted this. Will I buy it? Yeah, I think so …… at some point.

I get the comments about the same setlists. That's what most bands do when they tour, outside of the ABB and jam band related genre. They pretty much have a "core " set of songs and maybe throw a few different ones in from time to time. UFO is not an improvisational band , so I am sure there will not be a whole lot variations in the structure of the songs for the most part, unless Schenker decides to go off on a tangent then I am sure the others will follow .

The same(setlist) can be said about the early ABB recordings with Duane and Berry. You look at all of those releases and they pretty much have the same group of songs. That is probably due to the fact that the band was in its infancy with really only two albums underneath its belt and some covers. The difference there is that with the ABB you are getting more improvising and taking the music in different directions which can make two nights of the same setlist different.

Deep Purple, another one of my loves, is another example. For the most part they have a core group of songs, but I think they have gotten better over the last decade of putting in "old" deep tracks here and there, and with creating new material(Morse era). They mix that in to keep the setlist a little more fresh. They improvise , not in the ABB sense, but enough to make the songs interesting and a little different ...which is good. Over the last year, they have put out 2 live recordings, Live In Newcastle 2001 and Live in Rome 2013. I highly recommend both of those. There is a reason why they were released. Excellent shows. One might look at the track list and might not think to much, the same old classics and a few new ones and deep stuff, but they do enough with those to make it interesting. Change a few things up here and there, some breakdown jamming/interludes, and etc. That is a group of talented musicians. They have been able to explore new areas of writing and grow more as a band, especailly in the Ezrin era and with Blackmore gone. The focus is different I am sure in the writing and directions of the music has changed due to prior mentioned(RB).

Side note about the releases I mentioned above. Both very good. The only thing I would have to say is the 2001 New Castle show suffers on are 2-3 songs were Jimmy Barnes sits in and does some vocal work. It seems like he is trying to out do Ian Gillan by being a way over the top Gillan. Its almost obnoxious and cringes worthy. Just my opionion though!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2020 8:55 am
matt05 liked
matt05
(@matt05)
A Peach Supreme
Posted by: @jszfunk

I am a HUGE UFO fan. That's why I posted this. Will I buy it? Yeah, I think so …… at some point.

I get the comments about the same setlists. That's what most bands do when they tour, outside of the ABB and jam band related genre. They pretty much have a "core " set of songs and maybe throw a few different ones in from time to time. UFO is not an improvisational band , so I am sure there will not be a whole lot variations in the structure of the songs for the most part, unless Schenker decides to go off on a tangent then I am sure the others will follow .

The same(setlist) can be said about the early ABB recordings with Duane and Berry. You look at all of those releases and they pretty much have the same group of songs. That is probably due to the fact that the band was in its infancy with really only two albums underneath its belt and some covers. The difference there is that with the ABB you are getting more improvising and taking the music in different directions which can make two nights of the same setlist different.

Deep Purple, another one of my loves, is another example. For the most part they have a core group of songs, but I think they have gotten better over the last decade of putting in "old" deep tracks here and there, and with creating new material(Morse era). They mix that in to keep the setlist a little more fresh. They improvise , not in the ABB sense, but enough to make the songs interesting and a little different ...which is good. Over the last year, they have put out 2 live recordings, Live In Newcastle 2001 and Live in Rome 2013. I highly recommend both of those. There is a reason why they were released. Excellent shows. One might look at the track list and might not think to much, the same old classics and a few new ones and deep stuff, but they do enough with those to make it interesting. Change a few things up here and there, some breakdown jamming/interludes, and etc. That is a group of talented musicians. They have been able to explore new areas of writing and grow more as a band, especailly in the Ezrin era and with Blackmore gone. The focus is different I am sure in the writing and directions of the music has changed due to prior mentioned(RB).

Side note about the releases I mentioned above. Both very good. The only thing I would have to say is the 2001 New Castle show suffers on are 2-3 songs were Jimmy Barnes sits in and does some vocal work. It seems like he is trying to out do Ian Gillan by being a way over the top Gillan. Its almost obnoxious and cringes worthy. Just my opionion though!

same user name as on steve hoffman. i'm the matthew on there with the deja vu avatar always in the grateful thread lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2020 10:20 am
matt05
(@matt05)
A Peach Supreme
Posted by: @mjallen
Posted by: @matt05

agreed

I agree with that too.  I was thinking that they must have some reason for releasing so many shows with nearly the same set list.

My ex would say the same thing about all of the ABB, Dead, Santana, Fairport, Dickey, Lanois, Rowan, Dylan and RT that I have

and probably a few others. I realize that they are different animals and I may just check out a friend's copy first to see what its

like.  Couldn't tell you how many times I listened to that original album when I was younger and it was exactly the same every

time.  Whether I buy greatly depends on what I get it for but I am interested in hearing it.  

the dead are a different story 😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2020 10:41 am
mjallen liked
mjallen
(@mjallen)
Peach Pro

@matt05

My ex would certainly not agree with that.  Lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2020 11:22 am
peach-head
(@peach-head)
Peach Master

Im a HUGE fan of the band and was shocked by Pete Ways recent death. Of course I will be buying it, no question about that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2020 12:08 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach

@peach-head  Not sure I was really shocked that he passed, but how he did. Pete unfortunately had a a big history of substance abuse. I finished his book a few weeks before he died. Toward the end it gets kind of depressing and sad of what he was going through.

Here is a link to a tribute Eddie Trunk did for  Pete.

https://www.podcastone.com/episode/ET---Pete-Way-Tribute

From Andy Parkers website

http://ufo-music.info/andy/

10th September 2020

Last Friday at 8.00 a.m. I sat in the office of my home in Texas with a cup of tea and watched a live stream of a funeral. This would have been a surreal experience in any event, but it was even more so because it was the funeral of my dear friend and rhythm section partner Pete Way. It was hard enough to come to terms with the stark reality that Pete was gone, but it was compounded by the fact that due to COVID-19 travel restrictions I could not be there to say goodbye in person.

I, like I am sure so many others who knew him, never imagined a world without Pete. I thought, and often said that Pete would outlive us all, but sadly it was not to be. It is a cruel fact that we don’t always stay in contact with people as much as we should, and then suddenly it’s too late. I must admit that this was the case with Pete and myself, we had lost touch over the last couple of years, but I was very fortunate that I got to see him last year at the Sweden Rock Festival where he was performing with ‘The Pete Way Band’. Although he had now swapped his bass for a microphone, it was obvious to all that saw him, that he was still doing what he loved most in life, ROCKING!

Pete was a huge factor in the success of UFO and leaves a monumental legacy. I will forever remember his energy, his incredible stage presence, his unbounded sense of humor and his love of all things rock. His passing has robbed us of a true music legend and I for one doubt we will ever see his like again. Rest in peace, my friend!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2020 1:27 pm
StratDal liked
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Peach Extraordianire

Strangers In The Night will always be one of my top 5 cds.  I remember a couple of high school keggers and it was playing loud and proud.  Love To Love live... always a great make-out song... forever in my dreams!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 23, 2020 8:10 pm
matt05 liked
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @jszfunk

@peach-head  Not sure I was really shocked that he passed, but how he did. Pete unfortunately had a a big history of substance abuse. I finished his book a few weeks before he died. Toward the end it gets kind of depressing and sad of what he was going through.

Here is a link to a tribute Eddie Trunk did for  Pete.

https://www.podcastone.com/episode/ET---Pete-Way-Tribute

From Andy Parkers website

http://ufo-music.info/andy/

10th September 2020

Last Friday at 8.00 a.m. I sat in the office of my home in Texas with a cup of tea and watched a live stream of a funeral. This would have been a surreal experience in any event, but it was even more so because it was the funeral of my dear friend and rhythm section partner Pete Way. It was hard enough to come to terms with the stark reality that Pete was gone, but it was compounded by the fact that due to COVID-19 travel restrictions I could not be there to say goodbye in person.

I, like I am sure so many others who knew him, never imagined a world without Pete. I thought, and often said that Pete would outlive us all, but sadly it was not to be. It is a cruel fact that we don’t always stay in contact with people as much as we should, and then suddenly it’s too late. I must admit that this was the case with Pete and myself, we had lost touch over the last couple of years, but I was very fortunate that I got to see him last year at the Sweden Rock Festival where he was performing with ‘The Pete Way Band’. Although he had now swapped his bass for a microphone, it was obvious to all that saw him, that he was still doing what he loved most in life, ROCKING!

Pete was a huge factor in the success of UFO and leaves a monumental legacy. I will forever remember his energy, his incredible stage presence, his unbounded sense of humor and his love of all things rock. His passing has robbed us of a true music legend and I for one doubt we will ever see his like again. Rest in peace, my friend!

Very poignant jsz.  I'm sorry for your friend's passing.  Rock In Peace Pete! 😎 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 23, 2020 8:13 pm
Share: