"Trainwreck: Woodstock '99" Streaming Now on Netflix

13 Posts
6 Users
4 Likes
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/trainwreck-woodstock-99-captures-unknown-192907133.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Sure happy that I missed THIS party.........

This topic was modified 2 years ago by robslob

Posted : August 3, 2022 3:54 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Looks like Jan. 6 out-takes!

Posted : August 3, 2022 4:08 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Watched the preview. It looked scary. The love in, flowers in your hair,  peace sign vibe of 1969 had been replaced with darkness. And it continues to grow in this country. Over 700 murders in Chicago last year, over 500 in Philly, the smash and grab robberies that are happening in major cities, the burning and looting and ripping down statues of even George Washington, Christopher Columbus, Thomas Jefferson etc in the wake of George Floyd then January 6th with the damage and destruction at the Capitol makes me very reluctant to go around crowds that could quickly turn into a mob! The far left AND the far right can turn into a dangerous hate filled mob which has zero respect for law and order and police officers quickly. 

I wouldn't go to Woodstock or Watkins Glen for $500 thousand dollars today. In the 60s and 70s we never entertained the possibility that hate and evil may infest a big show we went to. One of your buddies overdosing was the big worry then or your date disappearing and you find out later she left with someone she just met at the festival and is now living in another state!

If I didn't get trampled or beaten I'd come down with Covid and Monkeypox at a big festival today. 

Woodstock 99 was more like the Hellhounds of Baskersfield than Tiny Tim's Tiptoe Through The Tulips. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : August 3, 2022 5:19 pm
robslob reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

I watched the first (of 3?) installment last night.  In short - the former hippies who produced the first Woodstock - "3 days of peace, love and music" (hemorrhaging money along the way) - decided that Woodstock 99 would be all about capitalism and making money.  For the most part, they hired bands sight unseen (or unheard) - they had no idea of the ... angst and anger contained in these new forms of "rock and roll" (that's another conversation).  On top of that - they searched and confiscated everything from "brought-in" food and even water - choosing to CHARGE $4 for bottles of water.  This poses the question:  with all the searching and confiscation - how did those drug dealers manage to make it inside the gates with their wares?     Before all that, they scheduled the event to take place on a former military base.  Instead of rolling, green hills - the attendees partied on scorching hot tarmac.  

There was an old joke/observation made in the old National Lampoon magazine years ago:  "Whatever became of the "hippies"?  - They're the stockbrokers who don't wear underwear."  This applies to the organizers of Woodstock 99.  They wrote a freakin' cookbook for disaster!

Posted : August 4, 2022 5:36 am
robslob reacted
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

HIGHLY recommended, I watched all 3 segments today.  Cool thing is if you don't have Netflix you can sign up for $9.99/month with no contract and you can cancel at anytime.  

Just tons of inside information from organizers, the press, attendees and musicians.  Yes, the promoters were focused on making $$$ and the comfort of the crowd was the LAST thing on their mind.  100 degree heat every day and virtually no shade to be had anywhere; remember it was held on a former military base and the asphalt everywhere just made the heat worse.  Hard to believe because Michael Lang from the original Woodstock was involved in this.  But once the big $$$ corporate guys became involved they ran the show.  LOTS of live clips of various bands that played.

A couple of different observers made the comment that once the kids realized that the promoters had NO interest in their comfort or safety, they took on the attitude of "why should I care about ANYONE else" and by evening of the third day a full scale riot ensued with fires everywhere.  And even the fires can be blamed on the promoters.  They distributed 100,000 candles on Sunday evening which were supposed to be lit as some kind of peaceful anti-gun protest.  You pass out 100,000 flammable objects to a crowd that has already been unruly all weekend?  Just a genius move.......

This post was modified 2 years ago by robslob

Posted : August 4, 2022 9:51 pm
Rusty reacted
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/netflix-woodstock-99-doc-trainwreck-000702137.html

Good insightful article

Posted : August 5, 2022 4:02 am
Rusty reacted
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

It is INSANE. I’ve watched it twice already. 

Posted : August 6, 2022 12:36 pm
robslob reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

I watched the final 2 episodes in succession.  Spoiler alert:  all you really need to see and know is revealed in episode one.  Things never improve after that.

The whole event makes one wonder where agencies like the State Health Department (for beginners) were.  As early as the morning of day 2 - the potable water supplies were noticeably off-color (light brown).  Sample tests revealed harmful (potentially deadly) bacteria present.  The most amazing part (to me) - only 3 (?) deaths - at least, on-site.  Were any follow-up tests or research conducted in the days/weeks after the event?  I'm wondering and thinking that there must've been some pretty serious illnesses by those who either drank the water or swam/slid in the fecal mud (nobody advised the attendees during the event).

Several reports or young females being raped/groped/ abused.  I have learned that you cannot say "they asked for it" - and I AGREE with this sentiment.  Young girls had the same right as their fat, drunken male counterparts to roam the grounds naked and drunk.  Here's an observation, though:  If you are a beautiful young woman and you decide (your choice) to get drunk and naked and roam the grounds among 400,000 spectators - most of whom are drunken, testosterone-driven males - the Las Vegas odds of your becoming raped are probably pretty high.  No - you didn't "ask for it".  This is also only my opinion.  Chill!  

The aforementioned discussion of the format ($cash-grab by recently turned capitalistic former hippies), the venue (former AFB tarmac - no shade to speak of during high summer temp's) and the refusal to allow "brought-in" food and drink (drugs to sell seemed to be acceptable) - just makes you wonder how, why and by whom this event was ever allowed to occur.  

Bands and musicians like Fred Durst (sp.?) and even the Chili Peppers (if Flea wants to get totally naked at a "sausage fest" - that's up to him) really didn't help matters that much.  Instead, they seemed to stir the flames.

Just glad that I lacked the inclination to attend!

Posted : August 6, 2022 2:58 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Haven't watched it yet but intend to. Skipped reading the posts in this thread until after I watch. But I wanted to mention that I had visited with LinnieX (or XX if you prefer) not long after she attended. I asked what bands she'd seen besides the ABB and if she'd had a good time. Her answer was along the lines of "I was trying hard not to get raped the entire time so there wasn't much to enjoy about the festival."

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : August 6, 2022 6:47 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@oldcoot:  ABB did not perform at Woodstock '99.  They were at Woodstock '94.  Sad that your female friend felt so threatened that she couldn't have a good time.  But after watching all three episodes it doesn't surprise me at all.  The best way I can describe the crowd is it was dominated by "Frat boy testosterone-fueled young white male assh*les" who were out mainly for sex and not for music OR a mellow Peace/Love vibe.  Oh, almost forgot:  Mix in a LOT of drugs/alcohol including a preponderance of Ecstasy.

It's really shocking how much this Festival strayed from the vibe at the original Woodstock '69.  Kinda hard to explain it other than how I just described the crowd.  And the performers may have had something to do with that.  Korn, Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock........that combination of acts is not real likely to draw a mellow peace loving audience.  Even Woodstock '94 was MUCH better than '99.  I've watched most if not all of ABB's set (the band was on FIRE) on YouTube as well as some Traffic and Blind Melon.  Judging from that it was a very well behaved crowd and yeah there were some females showing their tits but they were NOT being harrassed.

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by robslob

Posted : August 6, 2022 9:29 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Yep, my bad on the '94 versus '99 dates. I bought the pay per view on the '94 fest and there was some crowd misbehavior but not to any great level. Not sure of the particular circumstances that effected Linnie but it definitely wasn't a good vibe for her.

Just watched for a second time a documentary about the original '69 festival on PBS and what a remarkable event that that one was. Times have sure changed.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : August 6, 2022 10:22 pm
robslob reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

A couple of observations:

1.  The promoters ... DENIAL!  "In a city of 400,000 you're going to have rapes - so, we had our fair share".  "I think people were ripping down the fences (walls) so that they would have souvenirs of Woodstock '99."  These guys kept their heads buried in the sand through the entire fiasco!

2.  At the end of the series - several of the attendees who had described their horrific experiences stating that this had been "the greatest thing they'd ever experienced" and "I'd do it all again!"  Just freakin' bizarre!  

Posted : August 7, 2022 9:40 am
Joe_the_Lurker
(@joe_the_lurker)
Reputable Member

OMG I watched it all and what a literal $hit show!  I am so glad I didn't go to that.  What is amazing to me is that I did go to the first Bonnaroo in 2002 just 3 years later and it was amazing and nothing even close to Woodstock '99.  What a nightmare and Michael Lang didn't really seem to care at all.  Was the difference between WS '99 and Inaugural Bonnaroo the lineup only?  Or was it the lineup combined with no Corporate price gouging?  Or those two things plus sanitary conditions?  Funny thing about Bonnaroo is I have zero recollection of what I ate or drank so it must have not cost that much lol.  What I do remember is amazing music and the time of my life.  My only time seeing Michael Houser in Panic.  The people's choice choir during that set took it over the top.  That song made it onto the DVD.  It was also my only time seeing Phil and Friends, with Bob Weir.  Ben Harper did an amazing acoustic set.  At one point 4 totally naked girls were dancing down a walkway singing "we all live in a yellow submarine" and we just laughed and walked on by.  I didn't notice or feel ANY rapey vibes like WS '99.  That documentary was just disgusting.  The most disturbing thing I saw at Bonnaroo was one person sitting in the field shooting a needle into their arm.

Posted : August 18, 2022 10:47 am
Share: