Thoughts on tours happening this year

46 Posts
17 Users
9 Likes
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I know some bands and festivals have postponed till next year. Maybe there will be shows but just in smaller capacities and venues. Once it really opens up for everyone to get out, it seems like it could be saturated and competing for tix sales. Just have to wait and see at this point.

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : March 23, 2021 7:49 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Don't look for any of the big names to tour this year.  Too much planning, pre-expenses and logistics are required for a "three-semi-truck act".  Several acts and performers even cite concern over being sued by fans who might contract Covid at their shows.  I had tickets for Ringo Starr and his Allstars - rescheduled from last year.  Ringo's pulled the plug on his entire tour, which was to take place over the month of June.  Hopefully, he reschedules for next year, when he'll be 82 years old.

I read an article about concert tours recently.  Among the bands interviewed and discussed was Fleetwood Mac.  Christine McVie said that they'll likely never tour again.  Several others from that era concur.  Will we ever see Bob Dylan again?  The Rolling Stones?  They cancelled last summer's tour with no reschedule mentioned at all.  Yeah, I know I'm talking about the senior tour, but these have traditionally been the big acts.

Look for smaller upcoming or lesser known acts playing outdoors to small crowds.  I'm not sure how much money a band can make off of these shows.  After the internet and computers pretty much sucked the profit from recorded music sales - Covid has come along and further thrust the dagger deeper into the heart of music.  Reflecting back on my life, I guess I was lucky to have lived through the golden age of popular music.

Posted : March 23, 2021 8:47 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Yes many of the "3 semi truck" bands I read around Christmas indicated they likely will never play again. Fleetwood Mac, AC/DC and the Rolling Stones were mentioned by name.

Roger Waters wants to go out with Pink Floyd once more when it's safe with the surviving members but David Gilmore said he is done with big arena and Coliseum tours at his age and he certainly doesn't need to money and Roger doesn't either. He wished Roger well but Gilmore said he is done. 

Posted : March 23, 2021 9:35 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

Just got an email yesterday saying that Steven Wilson (who is based in England) is canceling his tour that was delayed from last year.  Said it was just too risky to tour in Europe.  I still have tickets for Roger Waters in Chicago - was supposed to be last August .. no refunds yet because it was supposed to be rescheduled for August this year ... 

Posted : March 23, 2021 11:56 am
bird72
(@bird72)
Honorable Member

I have always had a stance that the virus numbers, not the rules will be my decider.  The numbers are going in the right direction.  At this point, I might consider an outside venue show, with distancing.  I would mask.  But I also don't see anything I need to see that bad to make me want to attend anything.  I see 2021 as transition year, with much hope for 2022 being a big difference.  I am sorry for the musicians, but this affects all.  I ate out for the first time in a year a week ago.  It was at a very protocol aware place, with large distancing and strict mask use.  It was actually emotional for me.  It hit me how much we all have suffered, in many ways.

Posted : March 23, 2021 12:29 pm
DarylM
(@darylm)
Estimable Member

By the time they get around to actually playing the postponed

concerts, Pearl Jam and Rage Against The Machine will have had

my money for two years. Ridiculous. Cancel the concerts and

then start all over when it is safe to do so.

Posted : March 23, 2021 1:47 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Posted by: @darylm

I hear ya, but I get a big kick outta tellin' people that Ringo owes me money!  😉 

Posted : March 23, 2021 1:49 pm
islalala
(@islalala)
Honorable Member

It's not just the 3 semi acts that are cancelling for 2021.

I had tix to David Crosby at Graceland and he just cancelled for the 2nd year in a row. Granted that was a late May show and it's way harder to forecast 2 months out vs. 6-9. 

Could also totally be the fact that it's simply David Crosby being David Crosby, too....

Posted : March 23, 2021 2:57 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

I've mentioned my south FL city's outdoor pavilion putting on socially distanced concerts this Spring. Usually they would get D-list classic rock cover bands, but with fewer options for venues we are getting some B-listers: Hot Tuna, N MS All-Stars, St Paul & the Broken Bones, Grace Potter, Keller Williams. So shows are happening where they can, but theaters seems to be missing out.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : March 24, 2021 10:11 am
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob  That's a pretty darned good B-list!  I'm hoping to catch some local bands at some outdoor events that have been set-up just to help them pay their bills.  Still hoping that by early to mid Fall situations change enough so that I can pursue some of those B-listers.  😉 

Posted : March 24, 2021 10:17 am
PorkchopBob reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

looks like Allman Betts Band have gigs lined up.

https://www.allmanbettsband.com/tour/

Posted : March 24, 2021 3:26 pm
peccles
(@peccles)
Estimable Member

@robertdee

I can see Gilmore’s point.  He should have countered with doing a residency at the RAH.  LZ should have did that in 2007 (?) after that one off show.  I read they spent two months rehearsing for that show.

Posted : March 24, 2021 8:54 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @peccles

@robertdee

LZ should have did that in 2007 (?) after that one off show.  I read they spent two months rehearsing for that show.

It would have been cool to see them do that, but I think the LZ ship has sailed for Plant many moons ago. I dont blame him. I know its a well known fact that Myles Kennedy did some rehearsing with Jones, Bonham,Page, but for some reason it never took off.

Posted : March 25, 2021 7:40 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I agree. They should give the option of a refund or holding on to the tix's.

Posted : March 25, 2021 7:42 am
Psy
 Psy
(@psy)
Reputable Member

The last show I saw was in December of 2019. This is the longest I've gone without attending a live music performance in 43 years. As much as I'm itching to see a live show, at this point, I'll probably just wait until sometime in 2022 before I start returning to venues.

Posted : March 25, 2021 7:47 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

@jszfunk

So does Blackberry Smoke.

https://www.blackberrysmoke.com/pages/tour

Touring with Allman Betts obviously.

As well as North Mississippi All Stars.

http://www.nmallstars.com/tour

Looking forward to the Chicago show! 😀 

Would MUCH rather see NMAS with Blackberry than Allman Betts but beggars can't be, well you know. 😉 

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : March 25, 2021 9:32 am
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member

Posted by: @jszfunk

I agree. They should give the option of a refund or holding on to the tix's.

Theoretically, ticketsellers for the PSA tour are giving refunds for its twice-postponed tour. Otherwise, you, the consumer are basically giving them a 2 year no-interest loan. There are websites like Clark.com, National Consumers League, and Billboard that offer advice for specific tours.

Posted : March 25, 2021 10:05 am
nypeachhead
(@nypeachhead)
Trusted Member

Allman Betts have a pretty decent number of dates, some with Blackberry Smoke. Hope they all happen. I am going to see Dark Star Orchestra May 1 on Sussex county fair grounds in NJ. Social distance, car spot with room for chairs. That might be the way alot of this goes down first half of summer.

Weird that alot of the sheds around me also have very full schedules for this summer. Dates that were rescheduled from last summer. I wonder how real those are. I know tix r actually for sale for some of them. Steely Dan/Steve Winwood, Black Crowes, Dave Matthews, Chicago, Doobies, Santana/Earth, Wind and Fire... Not sure if that can actually all happen but they are listed with onsale dates.

Thinking this year will be a transition and next year will be the coming out party for the big acts. Hell at this point , I just want to go see live music in any form.

Posted : March 25, 2021 11:51 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Me being the wet blanket/kill-joy:  if it is irresponsible for the average Joe to not mask or socially distance, is it equally as irresponsible for a band to schedule shows during the current pandemic?  Save that stuff about spaced seating!  A friend attended the Allman Betts show in Mobile a few weeks ago -- as soon as the lights went low the masks came off and the crowd assembled onto the floor/stage area.  I know it's what they do for a living and they gotta eat and all that, but isn't it still early for concerts to be taking place?  Fire away!  

Posted : March 26, 2021 9:45 am
DOVETAIL reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

The only show I still had tickets for was Chris Stapleton, who just announced the late April dates are moved to 2022 now. The refund window is back open and I'll get that refund this time. 

Posted : March 28, 2021 7:46 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

Red Rocks is opening in April and allowing 2500 people (normal capacity 9500). 

Posted : March 30, 2021 10:34 pm
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

Like everyone else I'm ready to go hear live music again. I've got tickets to See The Allman-Betts Band in Indy later this year. Can't wait to see the band again. I got to see them a few years ago up at Summerfest(Milwaukee, Wisconsin,) on a really hot and humid July 4th and they just blew me away. God willing Brothers and Sisters we will all be able to enjoy live music again soon!

Posted : April 2, 2021 7:00 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

TTB just announced they are post-poning their 2021 shows until 2022, with a handful of socially distanced shows for THIS summer. Not surprised considering the fleet they tour with on the road. Much harder for larger bands.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : April 5, 2021 12:33 pm
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

I bought tickets for a September show - Jason Isbell (see Live Nation bitch thread in Whippin' Post section).  I am hoping that by then enough people have been vaccinated to make public assembly safe.  

Posted : April 5, 2021 12:56 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

TTB postpone tour until next year

😕

Posted : April 5, 2021 5:16 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Posted by: @porkchopbob

TTB just announced they are post-poning their 2021 shows until 2022, with a handful of socially distanced shows for THIS summer. Not surprised considering the fleet they tour with on the road. Much harder for larger bands.

This is the wise, prudent, sane and RESPONSIBLE thing to do.  As much as I miss concerts, we're just not there (vaccinated enough) yet.  

Posted : April 6, 2021 5:26 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@rusty I believe it's not only the band's decision, but the indoor venues. Maybe by Fall.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : April 6, 2021 9:01 am
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob  I believe it was Sammy Hagar who said he was afraid of being sued by fans who might have contracted Covid at a show.  In our increasingly litigious society, I can certainly imagine someone suing a performer or venue for failing to protect them from their own decision.  The sooner that the majority get vaccinated the better off and safer shows will be.  

I noticed that one of the MLB teams filled their stadium.  Spreader event?  You betcha!  

Posted : April 6, 2021 9:06 am
PorkchopBob reacted
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

To be clear- I’m not upset with TTB or their decision. I respect it. Even though I’m vaccinated I wouldn’t go if it was tomorrow and have mixed feelings about July

Like all of us, I just want to go hear live musics- safely. 
I’ll wait

btw kudos to TTB for keeping band snd crew on salary 

Posted : April 6, 2021 12:18 pm
PorkchopBob and Rusty reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @rusty

@porkchopbob  I believe it was Sammy Hagar who said he was afraid of being sued by fans who might have contracted Covid at a show.  In our increasingly litigious society, I can certainly imagine someone suing a performer or venue for failing to protect them from their own decision.  The sooner that the majority get vaccinated the better off and safer shows will be.  

I noticed that one of the MLB teams filled their stadium.  Spreader event?  You betcha!  

I could see that happening in a heart beat...getting sued.....ugh....

Posted : April 9, 2021 8:27 am
Rusty reacted
Page 1 / 2
Share: