The Allman Brothers Band – Road Trips: Volume One

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I was on Discogs tonight and found this on there.  I was unfamiliar with the Syracuse show.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Allman-Brothers-Band-Road-Trips-Volume-One/release/10306847

Manley Field House, Syracuse University, NY April 7th 1972 WAER-FM Broadcast  
1-1   Intro>Statesboro Blues 5:58
1-2   Done Somebody Wrong 3:54
1-3   Ain't Wastin Time No More 5:52
1-4   One Way Out 6:30
1-5   Stormy Monday 8:31
1-6   You Don't Love Me 16:42
2-1   In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed 16:40
2-2   Midnight Rider>Whipping Post 23:31
2-3   Hot 'Lanta 8:59
    Cow Palace, Daly City, California December 31st 1973 KSAN-FM Broadcast  
3-1   Intro>Wasted Words 6:05
3-2   Done Somebody Wrong 6:02
3-3   One Way Out 9:51
3-4   Stormy Monday 8:59
3-5   Midnight Rider 5:00
3-6   Blue Sky 7:45
3-7   In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed 17:33
3-8   Statesboro Blues 6:59
4-1   Southbound 7:23
4-2   Come And Go Blues 5:27
4-3   Ramblin' Man 8:06
4-4   Trouble No More 4:22
4-5   Jessica 12:59
4-6   Les Brers In A Minor> 6:09
4-7   Drums> 11:12
4-8   Les Brers In A Minor 14:35
5-1   Whipping Post Jam 11:53
5-2   Linda Lou>Mary Lou 9:18
5-3   Hideaway>You Upset Me 15:22
5-4   Bo Diddley>Mountain Jam>Bo Diddley 27:11
6-1   Save My Life 18:55
6-2   Blues Jam 11:22
6-3   You Don't Love Me 9:19
6-4   Will The Circle Be Unbroken> 4:46
6-5   Mountain Jam 16:26
    Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY December 30th 1979 WLIR-FM Broadcast  
7-1   Don't Want You No More 2:52
7-2   Not My Cross To Bear 6:41
7-3   Can't Take It With You 4:40
7-4   Blue Sky 6:35
7-5   Need Your Love So Bad 4:11
7-6   Blind Love 5:47
7-7   Crazy Love 5:25
7-8   Just Ain't Easy 5:35
7-9   In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed 11:15
7-10   Try It One More Time 5:38
8-1   One Way Out 10:38
8-2   Statesboro Blues 5:26
8-3   Southbound 10:14

This topic was modified 3 years ago by jszfunk

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : April 17, 2021 11:13 pm
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member

Both shows have been in trading circles for many years. The Syracuse show is a pretty good '72 show by the 5 man band with Berry quite prominent in the mix.

Posted : April 18, 2021 3:44 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Here is a decent audience tape of this July 1973 Madison Square Garden show. 

If you are a Dickey Betts fan Dickey was really in the mood to play this night. He is on fire and when Dickey is having a good night Dickey is clearly very close to Duane Allman as the best guitarist to ever be in the band 

Posted : April 18, 2021 9:50 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Posted by: @robertdee

Here is a decent audience tape of this July 1973 Madison Square Garden show. 

If you are a Dickey Betts fan Dickey was really in the mood to play this night. He is on fire and when Dickey is having a good night Dickey is clearly very close to Duane Allman as the best guitarist to ever be in the band 

No question Dickey is a top talent but I have been listening to and watching a lot of live Gov't Mule lately and Warren Haynes .can cut with the best of them.

Also interesting to read that Gregg himself commented that Derek passed his brother Duane in ability while playing for the last version of the ABB.

How much fun would it have been to have see all four of them jamming together on the same stage had Duane lived and continued to progress in his playing?

Posted : April 18, 2021 10:26 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham You have to take what Gregg said with a grain of salt. Not long before he past he said his guitar player  Scott Sharrard was probably the best he had worked with since his brother died and his brother is the best guitarist he ever worked with or heard. He said Duane could set a stage on fire in a New York minute. 

Derek Trucks probably has more licks than Duane and of course more time on stage. But if Derek Trucks can play Statesboro Blues, Must Have Done Somebody Wrong, Don't Keep Me Wondering, One Way Out, Trouble No More and even Elizabeth Reed without slide better than Duane Allman does on those live tracks on Fillmore East, Eat A Peach etc, I haven't heard it and I've heard Derek play those songs many times. So to me it depends what songs we are referring to. 

This Fillmore solo by Duane to me is more emotional and has more energy than anything I've heard from Derek or even Warren on Liz Reed. But we or I am splitting hairs here as all of them are great players. 

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : April 18, 2021 12:00 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I have a friend down the street who is a pretty good drummer even at age 71.  And he is a huge Ginger Baker and John Bonham fan and has me this weekend looking at and listening to lots of Ginger and Bonham and insists they are better in many ways than Buddy Rich!!

I love Butch Trucks, Johnny Lee Johnson and Matt Abts. First I saw Matt Abts was in 1983 when he replaced Butch Trucks in Betts, Hall, Leavell, Trucks and he blew me away. A fantastic drummer. But my favorite drummers are NOT technically better than Buddy Rich. I like Duane Allman and Dickey better than Derek and Warren. But don't claim they are technically better. I just enjoy them more. 

BTW. Buddy Rich was an egotistical jerk. Not a decent guy. 

Posted : April 18, 2021 12:52 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Here are Dickey and Warren together and they compliment each other very well. Both playing very well. I thought Dickey and Warren had a good run together until Dickey began getting too far in the bag and Warren and Allen apparently left partly due to Dickey's behaviour. Of course pulling a knife on Allen was a mistake. Kirk West saw that go down and it scared him to death.b

Posted : April 18, 2021 1:24 pm
WaitinForRain
(@waitinforrain)
Prominent Member

@robertdee

Duane was an incredibly emotionally expressive player with a wide range. Not too many notes. Not many on that level. 

What Duane had in his fingers, Gregg had in his voice. 

Posted : April 18, 2021 1:37 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@robertdee

I agree that nobody can play those Duane era songs like Duane and Dickey together as that was a special relationship they had  but I was talking about in general and when Derek and Warren play post Duane era ABB songs and especially their own music.

I also don't think Betts ever played those songs as well again  as he did with Duane as they needed each other to reach those amazing heights. Even Duane admitted they had a friendly competition and both admitted the other inspired them to play better.

I still maintain Warren and  Derek both can cut with Duane and Betts when it comes to playing IMHO .  And I would not so easily dismiss what Gregg says about Derek as he worshipped his brother so that is high praise indeed.

Of course these are just opinions and YMMV.

Posted : April 18, 2021 6:41 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham Well if Duane had lived Derek and Warren likely would have never been in the band. Everything would have been different. All the albums after At Fillmore East would have been different except for Stanback, Blue Sky and Little Martha on Eat A Peach. If Duane had lived the rest of Eat A Peach would have been different and it's possible it wouldn't have been called Eat A Peach. 

The band hung it up in 2014. If Duane had lived, would the Allman Brothers still been playing in 2014 or would Duane have broken up the band well before then? Interesting to think about. 

It seems Duane was around a lot longer than he was. Duane was only 24 years old when he died. 

I've seen Derek Trucks Band and TTB and Derek Trucks does have more licks and things on slide guitar than Duane but not more energy. I've seen Derek play with Clapton twice and he was amazing. Clapton seemed to play better with Derek with him. 

To me from 1988 to about 1994 Dickey was better than Warren Haynes on lead guitar but not slide. Dickey had a better tone and was just more melodic, creative and interesting than Warren. But to me, by 2004 or 5 Dickey's life style or something had caught up with him and to me Dickey's guitar playing slipped and became to predictable and he would have nights with too many clams and mistakes while Warren got better. Warren can play anything well. I saw Govt Mule back when they were doing Pink Floyd covers and it was excellent. 

Listen to what a fantastic tone Warren Haynes has on this Pink Floyd cover. And the notes just flow and Warren's touch is flawless.

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : April 18, 2021 10:50 pm
Share: