Santana: Tanglewood 1970

8 Posts
6 Users
3 Likes
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

If you've never seen this, I HIGHLY suggest getting a bit substance altered, kick back, and CRANK it.  The original six member band, and of course half of that is the percussion section.  Just amazing stuff.  Love the cameo of Bill Graham off to the side, banging along with the percussionists on a cowbell.  Billy was INTO this band!  And of course he was instrumental in launching them by getting them a slot at Woodstock.  After Soul Sacrifice was included in the Woodstock film, Santana EXPLODED.

Posted : June 2, 2023 6:29 pm
goldtop reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Santana was one of the best bands I saw late 1960's to 70's. Was his name Greg Walker? The singer then? 

Posted : June 2, 2023 10:03 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Here is George Benson with Carlos. I watched this several days ago and enjoyed it. 

Posted : June 2, 2023 10:08 pm
robslob reacted
Jack_Frost
(@jack_frost)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @robertdee

Santana was one of the best bands I saw late 1960's to 70's. Was his name Greg Walker? The singer then? 

I believe you would be thinking of organist and vocalist Gregg Rolie

Posted : June 3, 2023 9:08 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@jack_frost That sounds right Jack. Thanks.

Posted : June 3, 2023 12:20 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Slightly OT

Tanglewoods is a great place to see a concert. It is in the Berkshire mountains close to the NY State border and about a 1.5 hour drive from where I live.

Before my teenage daughters were born the wife and I used to go there in the summer to see Boston Symphony and the Boston Pops concerts and we saw Diana Krall there.

This Summer they have Steve Miller Band w/ Bruce Hornsby, Elvis Costello with Nick Lowe, Robert Plant and Allison Krauss, James Taylor, and Jackson Browne concerts before the classical music series starts July 7th

They have a covered shed with assigned seats there where the stage is located and a huge flat general admission lawn outside the shed you can picnic on before and during the concert if you don't have seats.

Unlike most sheds the lawn is flat so great for a picnic. I haven't been there in about 20 years but they used to let you bring in alcoholic beverages so we would pack a lunch/dinner and a nice bottle of wine. It is as much a night out to socialize with spouse and friends as it is going to see a concert I think.

There is also a cool Wolfgangs Vault Who tape from 1970 

This post was modified 11 months ago 4 times by Bill_Graham

Posted : June 3, 2023 3:11 pm
robslob reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Thanks Rob!! I have watched that a few times and always enjoy it!

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : June 5, 2023 8:04 am
VTAB
 VTAB
(@vtab)
Estimable Member

Tanglewood my ole stomping grounds, I caught Neil Young and Crazy Horse there about 1980. James Taylor plays there most years around 4th of July. The Music Inn a big field out in the Berkshires was another decent venue. We spent (after Neil ) the night at Russell MA state police barracks after pissing in the woods on the way home. Yeah makings of an Arlo Gauthrie tune.    

Posted : June 6, 2023 5:23 pm
Share: