Rolling Stones Rescheduled Tour Dates

32 Posts
7 Users
17 Likes
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/22/entertainment/rolling-stones-no-filter-tour-trnd/index.html

I had tix for the original Atlanta date.  Even though I am vaxed to the max - still not confident enough (yet) to climb back into that sea of people.  Wondering if they jumped the gun on this?  Anyway ...

Posted : July 22, 2021 12:36 pm
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

Glad to see the The boys are going to go back on the road for some shows. Just wish they would play a show close to my area. St louis is as close as the tour says and it's only 3 hours from my home in Champaign, Illinois.

But by the time I add a hotel in plus the cost of tickets it makes it way too much for my liking. I'll just have to wait for the Stones to release a CD or video version of the tour sometime in the future?

I understand what your saying @Rusty, just trust your gut on this one..

Posted : July 23, 2021 10:29 am
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@rcgp2020 I opted (was coerced) into tickets for the original date to appease a close friend who is Hell-bent on preserving/re-living as many of his glory days before checking out as he can. While I am a long-time fan of the Rolling Stones, I am not - never have been a fan of gigantic stadium shows (or even large arenas).  I saw the'Stones several times in the 1970s.  Each of those shows transcended the typical concert experience and were closer to what I'd call a spectacle.  Great experiences - all of those shows, but I find that there is no connection between the band and audience at these things.  In Keith's book, he acknowledges this:  "truth is, we can't even see the audience.  We play pretty much for each other."

If my buddy is awake and aware and decides to re-purchase tickets I might be talked into being dragged along.

FYI - these comments are in no way, a negative reflection on the Rolling Stones.  

Posted : July 23, 2021 11:18 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@rusty They interact with the audience here! Keith takes his guitar and blooded a fans nose. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : July 23, 2021 12:36 pm
Rusty reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@rusty

Rusty you should go see The Rolling Stones at least once. They are one of the most successful rock bands in history! 

Mick and Keith are way more famous and richer than anybody that was ever in my favorite band. 

Posted : July 23, 2021 1:06 pm
Rusty reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Saw them at Gillette stadium before COVID and as usual they put on a good show. Took my 15 nd 17 year old daughters as I have been exposing them to the Stones since they were born and felt they needed to see the boys at least once before they can't tour anymore.

They enjoyed the whole social aspect of the concert and barley looked a their phones during the concert which is a good indicator to me they liked the music.

They are the one band I am still willing to pay big money to go see and sit through a stadium show. I am hoping to get to see them at least one more time before they can't tour anymore and would love it if they extended the tour and played TD Bank North Garden here in Boston this winter or early next year.

And Rusty I understand your reluctance to be exposed to big crowds with the Delta variant starting to burn through the unvaxed population. Massachusetts has done a great job getting people vaccinated but if I lived in one of the States where there is a low vax rate and infections are starting to spike I think I would avoid large crowds as well. 

Posted : July 23, 2021 5:05 pm
Rusty reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham Another pandemic is fast approaching so don't be surprised if these Stones shows get postponed again and other shows too. 

They are demonstrating in Tokyo now demanding the Olympics be cancelled because there is a Delta Covid-19 uptick in Japan. Most new cases last week since January PLUS Japan has a low vaccination rate which is unfortunate. 

In America certain groups are in low vaccination rate situations. They mentioned African Americans and white people who are more likely to vote for Trump and watch Fox News as two groups. Missed the others as someone knocked on my door selling cookies for charity. 

Yes another pandemic is upon us but this time it's the pandemic of the unvaccinated!!! 

They said today if you are vaccinated you have a 95% chance of not getting sick but you may want to go back to masks for indoor events. 

The 5% of vaccinated people catching Covid-19 and getting sick are vaccinated people who are in bad health with a compromised immune system BEFORE they were vaccinated. Apparently for these people getting vaccinated didn't help as much as desired. 

Posted : July 23, 2021 5:30 pm
Bill_Graham and Rusty reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

STEVE JORDON REPLACES CHARLIE WATTS ON STONE'S TOUR. 

Charlie Watts, drummer for the Rolling Stones since 1963, has been told by his doctor to sit out the tour. Watts is 80 years old and recently had to have surgery. 

Salute to the great Charlie Watts!!!!

Charlie uses traditional grip. The RIGHT way to play according to Buddy Rich. Rich said he could play circles around drummers such as Ginger Baker and John Bonham!!  " They don't hold their sticks right! Slows them down" Buddy Rich 1970 complaining about drummers such as Ginger Baker and John Bonham receiving lots of coverage in Drummer World magazine when they don't even know how to properly hold their damn sticks!!.

This post was modified 3 years ago 4 times by robertdee

Posted : August 5, 2021 8:36 am
Rusty reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Posted : August 5, 2021 9:01 am
Rusty reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Watch what Keith Richards does to CHUCK LEAVELL!!!>

<

Never saw Dickey do that to him!

Posted : August 5, 2021 9:08 am
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@robertdee Keef's got skills!  I think Chuck gets nothing less than mad respect from the 'Stones.  I think it was in "Midnight Riders" (the book that the band hates) where Butch says that, "Chuck got pushed up against a bathroom stall (doesn't specify by whom)".  Maybe Chuck came on a little strong at first - trying to drive Dickey's bus?  Who really knows?

Posted : August 5, 2021 9:47 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@robertdee The 'Stones without Charlie?  That's nearing blasphemy for me!  As Ginger Baker pointed out, "he's the best musician in that band." (aside from Chuck .... maybe)

Posted : August 5, 2021 9:49 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@rusty Yeah I wondered if that was Dickey who pushed Chuck up against a bathroom stall. I remember reading in the fall of 1974 that Dickey was angry Chuck chose Gregg's solo tour rather than Dickey's that fall. 

Now that I've watched that Honky Tonk Woman video a few times, it began to look as if Chuck knew that was going to happen. It was planned. My first view made me think Keith came in behind, poked Chuck in the back which caused Chuck to stop playing and look behind himself and Keith took over his solo. Now I don't think so. Now I think it was planned. 

Chuck was in Dickey Betts and Friends in the 1980's and Betts, Hall, Leavell and Trucks. Defended Dickey in the press when Les Dudek stated publicly he wrote the bridge for Jessica and lost out on a writing credit on a song that was on an album that sold over 5 million copies and a greatest hits album that sold over 2 million. That Dickey should get his check book out and pay Les. Chuck rejected that and said he (Chuck) added more to the arrangement of Jessica than Les did and the song was written by Dickey Betts. That Dickey had the melody and cord changes for the foundation of the tune when he showed it to anybody. That every composer has musicians to tweak the arrangement especially when it is covered by a different band. But they can't put their name then on it as a composer!! 

And when the Allman Brothers won a lifetime achievement Grammy, Dickey called Chuck to ask him to get his for him because he didn't want to go all the way to Los Angeles and stand there next to Butch Trucks. 

I imagine whatever happened between Dickey and Chuck was minor and long forgotten. 

Also I found it tiring and disappointing Butch kept up the "trashing Dickey" campaign. And his attempt to erase Dickey and Dickey's songs from the band and it's history. 

The truth is....as difficult as Dickey must have been at times..... if one had to select between Dickey and Butch as to who was the most valuable player for the ABB, Dickey would win hands down. Duane Allman is my favorite ABB guitarist. No other guitarist played with the fire and energy Duane did. Duane was the Babe Ruth of the outfit. But if I had to choose which guitarist was the most important to the band's long career it would be Dickey. Much more so than Danny Toler, Warren, Jack Pearson and Derek Trucks. Dickey's tone and unique style was melodic, creative and inspiring and all his own. And his original material for the band is what really sets Dickey apart from the other guitarists and even Chuck and Duane. Revival, Liz Reed, Blue Sky, Jessica etc, etc. Dickey's guitar style and his original material was HUGE for the band's legacy. HUGE!! 

I imagine all true fans of the ABB can see and agree with that!???

Posted : August 5, 2021 12:17 pm
Rusty reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@rusty Yes no Charlie on drums is a huge disappointment for seeing the Stones. Huge!! 

Charlie is 80 years old!!! Born June 1941. Charlie may never come back. I'm 74 and my legs and shoulders couldn't begin to keep time at a Stones show even I could play like John Bonham. Physically I just couldn't do it. Tip of the hat to Charlie!! 

Posted : August 5, 2021 12:25 pm
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@robertdee For me - once you take Duane Allman out of the picture - Dickey Betts was the Allman Brothers.  I love Gregg's stuff, but he was never really "front man" material.  I think Dickey showed more musical and songwriting skills - this is only my opinion.

My opinion on who gets how much credit on a song differs from yours ... a little bit.  Often songwriters come to a rehearsal or studio with lyrics and "cowboy chords" on an acoustic guitar.  Unless they're somebody like Frank Zappa - who wrote down and charted out each part of the composition (as classical composers do) - each player contributes something to the finished product. 

Perhaps the most obvious example is the Police', "Every Breath You Take".  Mr. Sting wrote the lyrics, but Andy Summers came up with that haunting progression.  When one of the video games (Guitar Hero, I think) used the song - they only used the instrumental part - yet Sting got all the money because he was the "songwriter".  I read where Alabama native and Neil Young collaborator, Kelvin Holley stated that Neil shows up with the rough draft and allows players to pretty much play whatever they come up with.  I am quite sure that the finished product usually blows Neil away!  

Posted : August 5, 2021 12:31 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @rusty

Perhaps the most obvious example is the Police', "Every Breath You Take".  Mr. Sting wrote the lyrics, but Andy Summers came up with that haunting progression.  When one of the video games (Guitar Hero, I think) used the song - they only used the instrumental part - yet Sting got all the money because he was the "songwriter".

Probably should give the money to Ben E King.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 5, 2021 12:52 pm
Rusty reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@rusty Yes I see your point on song writing especially inside a specific band. In some bands Butch would have gotten a song writing credit for In Memory of Elizabeth Reed and perhaps Whipping Post. Butch felt Berry Oakley deserved a piece of Whipping Post. Probably not half but some of it. Butch pointed out and Gregg talked about it too, that Kim Payne came up with a line for Gregg when Gregg was stuck on Midnight Rider. And Kim pushed Gregg Allman on that and Gregg agreed. Gregg gave Kim Payne 5% of Midnight Rider for coming up with one line of the lyrics. Gregg got 95%. 

I well remember Butch complaining about all this when he posted on this site in the 1990s. Butch was pissed off after 1969-1979 A Decade of Hits came out with a few tracks off all the old Capricorn albums and it sold over 2 million copies and Gregg and Dickey each made over a million dollars and Butch got NOTHING! I really enjoyed and appreciated Butch, and original member of the band, posting regularly and answering fans questions. Butch was tops with me then.  I remember posting and asking him why he didn't go to Duane when Dickey wouldn't share some of Liz Reed with him for Butch writing the drums part. Butch responded he did! But Duane said in the ABB whoever brings the song in gets the writing credit. This may have been Duane responding to Gregg's displeasure at how much the band changed Whipping Post. What Gregg showed the band was a slow ballad and Butch and Berry almost rewrote the song!! 

But you are right. Songs brought into some bands by a member, the song writing gets passed around a little more than the ABB. 

But you have Gregg splitting STANDBACK with Berry and Berry brought the song into the band but without words. 

Posted : August 5, 2021 12:58 pm
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@porkchopbob The most flagrant example of Police brutality on video!  

Posted : August 5, 2021 12:58 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
bird72
(@bird72)
Honorable Member

Robert Dee, if I posted that much on a thread I would expect to be called a pompous blabbermouth.  Of course, I would never call anyone that.  About time to stick to ABB FB........................................

Posted : August 5, 2021 2:24 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@bird72 

is there a post limit I am unaware of?

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 5, 2021 3:22 pm
Rusty reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bird72 Sorry. Guess I got long winded. I'm 74 and retired, bored and living in the 1960's and 1970's. 

Charlie Watts is 80 and hopes to return to the Stones. Unbelievable. 

Maybe I'm like Dealey Plaza in Dallas where President Kennedy was assassinated. The announcer on PBS last November said on the narration when the screen showed a shot of the entire plaza, " This is Dealey Plaza where it is always November, 22nd, 1963"

Posted : August 6, 2021 7:23 am
PorkchopBob reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@robertdee I always enjoy your commentary!  Like a magic bullet, changing its path and striking more than one point in a single thread!  😉  Also - long live Charlie Watts!  I hope he has another half a century of drumming left in him!  

Posted : August 6, 2021 11:26 am
PorkchopBob reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Charlie Watts died today at a London hospital. He was 80. RIP. I've heard your great drumming since 1964.;

Posted : August 24, 2021 12:52 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@robertdee Just when you think a rainy day couldn't get any worse.  Just damnit.  

Posted : August 24, 2021 1:18 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Didn’t know whether to add it here or start a new thread, but at any rate, seeing the JFK references/analogies, just saw recently that author/investigator Josiah Thompson earlier this year published a followup to his 1967 book Six Seconds In Dallas - the new one has good reviews, it’s called Last Second In Dallas - Six Seconds In Dallas is a real good read - one of the better ones imo

continue on thread topic….thx

Posted : August 25, 2021 9:05 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@stephen I was in the library in high school with a study hall period when the principal came on the intercom dismissing school due to the murder of JFK with school out until after the funeral. My dad and I saw Ruby murder Oswald on LIVE tv on NBC. 

It was soon after the assassination of JFK that I began hearing the Rolling Stones on Top 40 radio. Time Is On My Side and Its All Over Now were two I would hear in my car in the radio in 1964. 

I rarely encounter anyone who agrees with me on the JFK assassination. After looking it over from time to time over the years,  I finally came to realize the Warren Commission, CBS News/Walter Cronkite 1964 investigation, the 2003 Peter Jennings ABC News investigation and the 1979 House Committee on Assassinations got it right! Lee Harvey Oswald fired ALL the shots that struck Kennedy and Connelly from the corner 6th floor window of the Texas School Book Depository using an Italian Carcano bolt action rifle which belonged to Oswald. ONLY 3 shots fired, none from the grassy knoll. I'm a dreaded LONE NUTTER so to speak:) 

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : August 25, 2021 12:03 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yeah Robertdee, many people hold to that, that it was just Oswald - not me tho - the Zapruder film clearly shows the 2 men getting hit by separate shots

which is how Connolly recalled it, including in a hearing shortly after the Warren Cmsn released its report claiming it was Oswald only - Connolly was unequivocal about it

the “magic bullet” was mentioned - it was pristine & couldn’t possibly have caused all the wounds to Connolly

add to that eyewitness accounts - many swore up-&-down they heard shots come from in front of the motorcade - something that was supported by the doctors - who said emphatically, on the record in their report from that day, that the throat wound was a wound of entrance

….& that’s how I see it🤙

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : August 26, 2021 4:11 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

But yeah, they were going to reschedule those tour dates & hired the new drummer etc - wonder what they’ll do now - & What It’ll Sound Like Now

it’ll be different - like when Kenney Jones replaced Keith

Ginger Baker said it best earlier in the thread

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : August 26, 2021 4:31 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@stephen The Zapruder film actually shows both men being hit exactly the same time just as they appear from behind the freeway sign. The Connelly's actually said all the shots came from behind them, from over their right shoulder. Nellie Connelly did insist Kennedy was struck with the first shot. Connelly indeed was hit in the back hard. Knocked him forward and exited his chest. The magic bullet was not pristine. Flattened on the end and ballistic tests prove it was fired by Oswald's rifle as were all the other bullet fragments plus the three spent shell casings found on the 6th floor at the window. All the news men in the motorcade only heard three shots. 

Harold Norman on the 5th floor directly under the 6th floor assassin's window heard three loud shots followed by a bolt action sound and a shell casing hitting the floor after each of the three shots. 

Parkland doctors never examined any of the wounds, didn't see the entrance wound in the back so assumed the throat wound was entrance just by looking at it, not an examination, but it was not. It was exit. After Parkland doctor Malcolm Perry spoke with Commander Humes, one of the autopsy doctors, on the phone Dr. Perry agreed the wound could be exit instead of entrance. 

The 1979 House Committee on Assassinations ruled Oswald fired all the shots that struck Kennedy and Connelly. 

I better stop as this is a Rolling Stones thread. 

I think the Stones will do the upcoming tour then retire. They have had a wonderful run stretching all the way back to 1962 and sold out shows worldwide for decades. Truly a supergroup!! 

Posted : August 26, 2021 5:51 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

🤙facts can be interpreted differently - I understand 

Looks like the tour will resume Sept. 26 in St. Louis 

Ladies & Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones - during their peak - as you said, truly a supergroup

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : August 26, 2021 11:33 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: