Peter Green’s Mac!!!!!!!!

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Found a live album called “Shrine ‘69” on Spotify tonight. As always with this group, AWESOME!!!

[Edited on 1/6/2018 by cmgst34]

Posted : January 5, 2018 6:16 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Their take on Need Your Love So Bad get me every time. One of the great slow blues performances.

Posted : January 5, 2018 6:45 pm
fsducati
(@fsducati)
Estimable Member

Had the album for years and they great. The 3 cd set of live at the Boston Tea Party is even beter, if possible.

Posted : January 5, 2018 7:33 pm
oldblue
(@oldblue)
Estimable Member

I don't have that cd but i do have several of their cds. I have some compilations...the early years Fleetwood Mac Men Of the World (3 discs), Fleetwood Mac the Blues Years, the Best of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, and Live in Boston vol 1 & 2. Certainly a fan. I have recently ordered the cd with them playing with some old blues players. It's in the mail. I turned my son onto them as well. He is trying to get some vinyl.

Posted : January 6, 2018 6:50 am
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

I don't have that cd but i do have several of their cds. I have some compilations...the early years Fleetwood Mac Men Of the World (3 discs), Fleetwood Mac the Blues Years, the Best of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, and Live in Boston vol 1 & 2. Certainly a fan. I have recently ordered the cd with them playing with some old blues players. It's in the mail. I turned my son onto them as well. He is trying to get some vinyl.

Is the album you’re talking about “In Chicago”? I have that on vinyl from way back when. Pretty sure Buddy guy is on there under a pseudonym.

I also listen to the Boston sets quite a bit.

Posted : January 6, 2018 12:03 pm
JimSheridan
(@jimsheridan)
Noble Member

Shrine 69 is very good: terrific sound, good performances, and as mentioned, the “Need Your Love So Bad” is to die for.

On the down side, it is a fairly short album, and Peter Green doesn’t step up and stretch out as he does on the Tea Party discs. Still a worthy album.

Posted : January 6, 2018 1:23 pm
oldblue
(@oldblue)
Estimable Member

The name of the cd is Blues Jam in Chicago vol 1. It does have "Guitar Buddy" on it.

Posted : January 6, 2018 6:56 pm
DeadMallard
(@deadmallard)
Reputable Member

Great suggestions. My local library has all 3 Boston CD's

Posted : January 6, 2018 8:40 pm
ABBDutchFan
(@abbdutchfan)
Noble Member

I strongly recommend this version of the Boston Tea Party 1970 concerts. Superior sound compared to the original releases and dirt cheap ($ 12,39) for a 3CD set loaded with awesome performances. Released in Europe in 2 CD and 2 LP versions within a year or so. First a round CD box and 3 separate vinyls and a year later a more handy square CD box and a box with all vinyls together.

https://www.amazon.com/Boston-3CD-Digipack-Fleetwood-Mac/dp/B06XY8RBGB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515313891&sr=8-1&keywords=fleetwood+mac+boston

[Edited on 1/7/2018 by ABBDutchFan]

Posted : January 6, 2018 11:39 pm
allmanfan21
(@allmanfan21)
Prominent Member

I have an album simply called Boston Blues, and it's pretty good as well.

Posted : January 7, 2018 10:07 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

I agree with one of the above posts, The Boston Tea Party shows are some of my favorite live recordings. That band had it going on and Peter Green was just stellar!

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : January 7, 2018 12:28 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

At the peak of my Peter Green Fleetwood Mac obsession I bought the Complete Blue Horizon box set. It features many alternate versions and even some recordings as they were working through them with starts and stops while the tape machine rolled. It is pretty cool. It also contains the Chicago discs.

Peter Green is absolutely fantastic, but so is the entire band. Danny Kirwan brought some cool melodies and Jeremy Spencer's love for Elmore James comes through alot, I dig him signing too. And John and Mic are legendary in their own rights.

There is alot written on the early years of Fleetwood Mac, dig into some of it!

[Edited on 1/8/2018 by nebish]

Posted : January 8, 2018 5:50 am
spoonbelly
(@spoonbelly)
Estimable Member

I have quite a few PG FM shows. I agree that the Boston Teas are probably the best shows with excellent sound. Another excellent show is 4/24/70 Roundhouse Chalk Farm. The songs smoke but the sound is not an "A" soundboard.

Posted : January 9, 2018 3:35 am
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

I don’t love a lot of the band’s songs — particularly the slide Elmore James-esque Spencer-driven tunes — so I don’t spin them as much as I otherwise would, but MAN, I am always FLOORED by how awesome Peter Green is. Truly something special. 

Posted : June 3, 2021 8:51 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Peter Green kinda gave his famous Greeny Les Paul to Gary Moore who wanted it more than owning all of Ireland. Swapped for an SG Gary paid just a few hundred dollars for. 

Gary said his apartment didn't have a lock on the door at the time so he carried the Les Paul in a guitar case one owned by Eric Clapton with him anytime he went somewhere to keep it from being stolen. 

The guitar today is owned by the lead player for Metallica who paid a collector over a million dollars for it. 

It has a million dollar tone!! What a great guitar it is! 

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : June 5, 2021 9:43 am
DarylM
(@darylm)
Estimable Member

Someone on the forum here (Twiggs' brother?) once said that the

Brothers briefly considered asking Greeny to replace Duane but they

couldn't track him down!

Posted : June 5, 2021 1:40 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@darylm Greeny had dropped out then handnt't he? Nobody could find him. Maybe that is why Peter let Gary Moore have his famous Les Paul for practically nothing. Supposedly Peter got Gary's $350.00 SG on the swap. Maybe Greeny knew he had to soon quit the music business. 

I can see Berry Oakley in particular being attracted to a spirit like Peter Green being in the band. 

Check out this jazz player on a TELECASTER!! A guy I know sent me this. He saw him in Chicago a few years ago.  And he caught Allman Betts last 🌃 ght in Macon and Chuck Leavell played piano. 

I'm totally convinced that friend of Jack Pearson is right about a Tele being a guitar you can play any style of music on. Wish I had one. 

Jazz on a Tele!!

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : June 13, 2021 1:09 pm
Share: