nugs and ABB

17 Posts
11 Users
1 Likes
vatec80
(@vatec80)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Seems you can't listen to ABB after 2008 on nugs now. I inquired and it was  by Artists request, whoever that is. 

This topic was modified 1 year ago by vatec80

Posted : November 22, 2022 5:54 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I think it was Butch. Butch was trying to get a streaming service going himself. Maybe someone should contact the Big House and see if whoever is in charge would protest now. 

This post was modified 1 year ago by robertdee

Posted : November 22, 2022 6:25 pm
islalala
(@islalala)
Honorable Member

They cut each track to 30 second clips. Like a preview.

Yet another baffling move with a portion of the band's body of work

This post was modified 1 year ago by islalala

Posted : November 22, 2022 9:49 pm
slothrop8
(@slothrop8)
Estimable Member

An odd, somewhat bizarre move by the band.  Maybe there's an official release upcoming from that period? I'm not sure what the motivation could be, but it's really unfortunate. 2009 is a high water mark for the last lineup and one of my favourite eras to listen to - this is really too bad.

Posted : November 23, 2022 1:18 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

According to an interview with John Lynskey in the latest Goldmine Allman Brothers cove issue, the ABB Managment team is working on Haynes/ Trucks material for archive release so maybe that is why they pulled the post 2008 shows down from NUGS? I would love a silver disc release of the 2009 Beacon shows with Clapton with a Bluray or DVD of the video they streamed back then.

I am a big fan of the Haynes/ Trucks version of the ABB, second favorite after the Duane era band, so any new archive material from that band is welcome

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Bill_Graham

Posted : November 23, 2022 1:32 pm
robslob reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham  I'd also love a release with the Dickey/Jack /Otiel line up.  I saw some very good shows with that lineup in 1997 and 98

This post was modified 1 year ago by robertdee

Posted : November 23, 2022 9:49 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @bill_graham

According to an interview with John Lynskey in the latest Goldmine Allman Brothers cove issue, the ABB Managment team is working on Haynes/ Trucks material for archive release so maybe that is why they pulled the post 2008 shows down from NUGS? I would love a silver disc release of the 2009 Beacon shows with Clapton with a Bluray or DVD of the video they streamed back then.

I am a big fan of the Haynes/ Trucks version of the ABB, second favorite after the Duane era band, so any new archive material from that band is welcome

As I mentioned before, I wonder what has been held back from the Haynes Trucks era? Alot is out there.

2009 Beacon shows on Blu ray with EC would be nice.

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : November 24, 2022 3:47 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Yes the 2009 Beacon with EC on blue ray would be one I'd buy. 

One good Jack era show needs a release. 

I made this show back in 1997. Hot show. Another late 90's ABB show without a Gibson guitar in sight. That seemed so odd for the Allman Brothers to me then. 

Here is one song from that NJ show. 

Posted : November 24, 2022 7:16 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Posted by: @robertdee

One good Jack era show needs a release. 

I made this show back in 1997. Hot show. Another late 90's ABB show without a Gibson guitar in sight. That seemed so odd for the Allman Brothers to me then. 

that it is, good point

fully agreed about 1997-98 material, those shows are VERY good - one show, or possibly a compendium a la WTWCTODGas, or OWO pulled from 6/27/1971 for EAP

but yes, us fans are blessed, there’s a lot out there - The Final Note is the perfect final release of Duane/BO, everything else is out there

just getting to the Jack vid now - Dickey & Danny T rip on this in a 2004 DB&GS show - know I’m gonna dig this, thx

Posted : November 24, 2022 9:35 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yeah that’s a strange decision to exclude post-2008 on nugs - feel fortunate to have Meadowbrook 2009 - the fall 2012 shows in Boston & Philly were special IIRC - same the final Beacon show(s) Oct 2014 - have never heard a note of these

the 2/11/1972 archive, & the 4/20/1979 boot (FM broadcast) are really all one needs from those eras imho - of course BO front & center makes the April Syracuse show one everyone adores 

would still be cool to see some love for the 1979-81 band - crowd love for ABB 7/19/79 MD, that alone, & it’s a tight show, some songs played fast - again, those who dig them have them & vice vera 😁🎶 thank you all you traders over the years

This post was modified 1 year ago 4 times by Stephen

Posted : November 24, 2022 9:59 am
tori
 tori
(@tori)
Estimable Member

I recall an article on releases which mentioned that 5/17/05 was being prepared for release. I don’t believe this show was ever available like other recordings from that era. Setlist good on paper. While I enjoy nearly all archive releases, the Final Note was questionable due to its lackluster sound quality. I would like a 1996 release perhaps a multi show set from the Chicago run. An official Jack era release would also be interesting as long as it is not the PPV from Great Woods. Seen that one too many times. 

Posted : November 24, 2022 9:00 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

I am out of the loop on this. I looked at their website and if I understand it you can download a show in various formats and the prices vary based on which format you choose? 

If you get a show can you put it into your itunes library? Regardless of the format you choose to purchase it on? If that is the case I would get it on the cheapest format. What's the difference, sound quality?

You can pay a monthly subscription fee. Do they keep adding things to make paying for a subscription worth it or is it always the same?

Sorry for the remedial questions but I am sure several people here know a heck of a lot more about this than me. 😀 

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : November 25, 2022 7:14 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

After reading through this and what people would like to have, I have a few thoughts.

I saw two of the Derek/Dickey shows in 1999. I imagine you can find them in trading circles but I would like to have the shows I attended. Of course that didn't last long.

The 2000 summer tour with Jimmy Herring. I went to one show not having high expectations and it was awesome. Many more long, drawn out jams (think Mt. Jam and Whipping Post) since Gregg had to sing everything.

2005. Some may remember late in the summer Warren bowed out of the tour for a week or two for some reason and Jack filled in. So a Derek/Jack show would be nice.

This post was modified 1 year ago by Lee

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : November 25, 2022 7:37 pm
tori
 tori
(@tori)
Estimable Member

On the sound quality question, depends on your subjective tastes. When listening on a nice set of headphones, flac and other lossless formats sound better, crisper. I am not sure about ITunes but don’t see any reason you couldn’t transfer downloaded files.

The Derek/Jack shows from 2005 are frequently in my rotation. All the versions of Dimples are incendiary. Jack is such a creative player and enjoy the unique direction he takes on his long solos. I’m also enjoy a Warren/Jack show from Wanee in 2006. 

Posted : November 26, 2022 3:41 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

All these shows are tremendous ABB shadings/colorings - London Ontario 2005 has been a regular in my CD player, gotta break it out - Rosemont IL w/Derek & Jack I’ve heard has just as many unique variations/dynamics

unfamiliar w/Warren/Jack at Wanee, bomb, hadn’t even known - Jack played a few shows in 1993 as well when Dickey was absent, DAT cassette recordings of this collaboration are real ABB happiness

have had these fine conversations b4, shoutout to bro James who I traded with

Posted : November 28, 2022 4:29 am
CB
 CB
(@cb)
Estimable Member

@lee 

"If you get a show can you put it into your iTunes library? Regardless of the format you choose to purchase it on? If that is the case I would get it on the cheapest format. What's the difference, sound quality?"

That is right, you can download files and import them to you iTunes or Apple Music library.  You can also purchase burned sliver CDs of a show and import them to your library.

"On the sound quality question, depends on your subjective tastes. When listening on a nice set of headphones, flac and other lossless formats sound better, crisper."

I completely agree, I have 1st gen Airpod pros, Bose FreeSports, and Sony WH1000MX3.  FLAC sounds better on these headphones.  You won't notice as much difference if you are using the original Airpods.  

Also, you can burn your iTunes FLAC playlist to .wav cds in iTunes to have the highest quality cds to play on other devices.  You can convert the other formats to .wav as well, but with some loss of sound quality.

Posted : November 28, 2022 5:14 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@lee 

You can purchase ABB shows from 2007-2014 at Munck in multiple formats. I thought nugs only had the Instant Live catalogue that started 2003- , but seems like there is some 2007-2008 cross-over. Not sure why.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : November 28, 2022 6:02 pm
Share: