John Mellencamp opening night setlist 2-5-2023

11 Posts
8 Users
7 Likes
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/john-mellencamp/2023/indiana-university-auditorium-bloomington-in-bbd0526.html

Opening night set list from John. He and his band always put on a good show,and they are as tight as tight can be. Keeps it pretty true to the recorded versions for the most part, from my past experiences seeing him live. On this show he seemed to mix in a little more deeper stuff aside from the hits/well know/80's radio fare. Which I don't mind one bit. He could do a whole sit of deep cuts and that would be fine with me. He has so much stuff outside of the 80's retreads that never see the light of day.

John Cockers
The Eyes of Portland
Minutes to Memories
Small Town
Human Wheels
Don't Need This Body
We Are the People
Jackie Brown
Check It Out
Sometimes There’s God
Longest Days(acoustic)
Jack & Diane(acoustic)
I Always Lie to Strangers
Real Life
Rain on the Scarecrow
Paper in Fire
Crumblin' Down
Pink Houses
Chasing Rainbows
Cherry Bomb

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : February 7, 2023 9:39 am
matt05 and Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

While I've never been a real big fan of John Mellencamp, I saw him and his band on a show with Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson and I believe another band called the Green Cards(?).  On this night, John and band owned the show.  I guess I got turned off early on by the John COUGAR persona or whatever.  Not that it wasn't good - I just didn't get attached to it.  His band typically features a violin, dobro/steel/slide guitar - they create some nice "Americana" (I still don't know exactly what that is) textures.  They are tight.  He is a fine lyricist - although some of the stuff (Jack and Diane) kind of eludes me.  He puts on a darn fine show!

Posted : February 7, 2023 3:52 pm
matt05
(@matt05)
Noble Member

thats a really good setlist

Posted : February 7, 2023 10:11 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Posted : February 8, 2023 6:27 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @rusty

While I've never been a real big fan of John Mellencamp, I saw him and his band on a show with Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson and I believe another band called the Green Cards(?).  On this night, John and band owned the show.  I guess I got turned off early on by the John COUGAR persona or whatever.  Not that it wasn't good - I just didn't get attached to it.  His band typically features a violin, dobro/steel/slide guitar - they create some nice "Americana" (I still don't know exactly what that is) textures.  They are tight.  He is a fine lyricist - although some of the stuff (Jack and Diane) kind of eludes me.  He puts on a darn fine show!

Yeah, I grew up here in Indiana and he was basically shoved down your throat during the 80's on FM radio around here. I really never did care for him at that time. I  got turned on to him a little more with his, "Whenever We Wanted " release. Kinda hit or miss for me through the 90's. The two releases that really won me over were "Life,Death,Love,Freedom" and "No Better Than This". The later I favor a little more, but both very good. The were produced by T Bone Burnett.  I think that had a little to do with it, his influence on Johns music . I was hoping that relationship would have continued, but that was it.   I have came to appreciate his catalog  more ever since. 

Posted by: @matt05

thats a really good setlist

I do agree. It is pretty diverse compared to the last 2-3 times I saw him. Pretty hit laden. I know you have to play that stuff.....

Posted : February 8, 2023 8:55 am
matt05 and Rusty reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Agree about the setlist. I like it. Only couple of songs I am not familiar with. My favorite album that might fly under the radar a bit is "Whenever We Wanted". 

I am going to see him in April two nights at The Chicago Theatre which I am really looking forward to as I have never seen him live before. Plus it is a beautiful venue. Saw the ABB there several times over the years.

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : February 8, 2023 12:25 pm
matt05 reacted
VTAB
 VTAB
(@vtab)
Estimable Member

Check it out - "Forgot to say hello to my neighbor, sometimes I question my own behaviour"
He has some great tunes. 

Posted : February 13, 2023 9:24 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

One of his earliest singles. Really like this tune.

Posted : February 14, 2023 8:42 am
matt05 reacted
islalala
(@islalala)
Honorable Member

Saw him at Farm Aid in 98 not expecting much and was blown away. Super high energy show with some extended "jamming"

Assuming he's back in the high energy phase again based on that setlist?

Posted : February 14, 2023 2:59 pm
matt05 reacted
matt05
(@matt05)
Noble Member

@islalala as old as john is now not sure how energetic he is these days

Posted : February 14, 2023 9:12 pm
KPRESTN712
(@kprestn712)
Reputable Member

Check It Out is one of my favorite Mellencamp's songs. Here is a video of the tune. A fan added some old footage of Britton South Dakota in 1938. 

Posted : February 15, 2023 9:01 pm
Share: