Topic starter

Definitely a unique take.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 12, 2021 12:41 pm
Rusty reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I like it! Good version. I like horn solos. Derek Trucks says ge is more into horn players that guitars for inspiration. Those famous horn players of the 1940's were some monster soloists. Benny Goodman and a hot trombone player back then was Jack Teagarden. Most of those guys could sight read and talking about playing tight!! 

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : January 12, 2021 3:21 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Jack Teagarden on trombone and his band. Sax player looks like actor Glen Ford.

Posted : January 12, 2021 3:27 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

always enjoyed this fun take on "Jessica". Well, they are all fun, I guess, otherwise it wouldn't be "Jessica"

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 12, 2021 3:50 pm
Rusty reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I like that They Might Be Giants version too. It is a very snappy and happy melody. Everyone likes Jessica. Dickey was telling someone just a few years ago at his home in Florida that he wrote it in a room similar to the one we are in now except it wasn't lavishly decorated like Dickey's home now and Dickey at that former house wouldn't let his then wife clean up the beer cans, cigarette butts and balled up paper and he was playing to the innocent romping around his baby daughter Jessica was doing with the wadded up paper, empty beer cans and cigarette butts and nailed the melody for this song. 

Also the version on 2nd Set (1995) with Warren Haynes playing Chuck's part won a Grammy for best rock instrumental that year. The song obiviously has made Dickey a lot of money. I checked Celebrity Networth and these names came up connected to ABB.

Warren Haynes 13 million

Derek Trucks 6 million

Jaimoe 2 million

Dickey Betts 40 million

Dickey's networth is obiviously well ahead of Warren and Derek because of his song writing I would say.

At the time of their deaths:

Gregg Allman 18 million

Butch Trucks negative 1 million  (owed in back taxes debt)

Duane Allman wasn't listed but the word was about Duane  when Gregg and Dickey became millionaires in 1973 Duane had very little money until At Fillmore East came out and the addition of better pay checks in the wake of AFE playing live shows and Duane left a net worth of about 6,000 dollars. Supposedly the first time Duane had a wad of cash. Gregg use to say his brother is why all this happened but he was cheated. Just after Duane died the money started pouring in according to Gregg. Duane was the sparkplug for our success but missed the money.

This post was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : January 12, 2021 6:18 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

This is the Grammy winning version.

Posted : January 12, 2021 6:26 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Really good versions & if I wasn’t a klutz I’d append the Dixie Dregs’ too

dig the Jack Teagarden clip too, long live B&W & whether big band Dixieland R&B or R&R, it’s all the same - melody & smoke-show soloists keeping it tight

Posted : January 12, 2021 9:05 pm
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@stephen  Aside from the studio original, possibly my favorite version! 

Posted : January 12, 2021 9:15 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Jessica July 1986 Nashville. Nice close up shots of Chuck's hands on his solo.

That Dixie Dregs version was smoking! A jazz/rock/fusion thing. 

I saw them in a club just as they were getting popular. I went because of an ABB connection I heard about.  Twiggs was their road manager. The violin was excellent and Steve was another one of those technical wizards on guitar. Now that I think about it Steve played a parts guitar with a Telecaster body with an extra pickup I think and it had a Strat neck.  Duane Allman had a similar guitar and he was said to have really liked it but it was stolen.  These guitars that get stolen right off the stage. That is mean and so bold. David Gilmore said the first time he came to America with Pink Floyd his main guitar, a Telecaster his family gave him on his 21st birthday,  was stolen and never to be seen by Gilmore again. Gilmore said he was told where he could likely find some guitars he would like and it was a place on 48th street in Manhattan. 

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : January 13, 2021 9:01 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Great, stripped down version:

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 13, 2021 10:08 am
Rusty reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Cool Porkchopbob. Mandolin and little acoustic guitar (Ukulele?). They nailed the melody and all of it. 

Homer and Jethro was a comedy act I saw at a local theater at about 14. Old Jethro Burns was actually excellent on Mandolin.

Posted : January 13, 2021 3:43 pm
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Estimable Member

The Sarasota Herald-Tribune has just published the 10 top ABB covers, you can find it here

Robin Kenyatta is in there but I must admit I have a soft spot for Della Mae's version of Whipping Post

Posted : January 15, 2021 12:18 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@crosseyedcat I dig it!

Here's one of my favorite stripped down acoustic ABB covers:

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 15, 2021 12:29 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Certainly enjoying this stuff - their music is a wellspring of originality that invites endless possibility for creative interpretation like this

the Aussie band Whipping Post did a wonderful stripped down acoustic Southbound on its late 90s-or-so The Dog Don’t Bite - have two of their CDs, it’s almost all their own stuff, & ABB love rings thruout

Posted : January 15, 2021 8:39 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Here is Jack, a good keyboard player, drummer, bass player and BILLY STRINGS doing Elizabeth Reed. I wasn't aware Billy played electric guitar. Thought he was only acoustic. 

Really liked the stripped down version of Blue Sky Porkchopbob. Nice Little Martha tease at the beginning. The Aussie Whipping Post was good too. Gregg and Dickey no doubt wrote some top notch songs.

Posted : January 15, 2021 8:46 pm
Looziana_Lou
(@looziana_lou)
Trusted Member

Posted : January 20, 2021 1:08 am
PorkchopBob reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Nice Jessica. Vasser was in Dickey's 1974 solo band and appears on Highway Call.  

There is a Vasser album from about 2003 which has Dickey as a guest artist and Dickry sings Ramblin Man. 

Posted : January 20, 2021 9:34 am
Share: