34 Posts
6 Users
4 Likes
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

First day. Wish I was there

https://www.jambase.com/article/govt-mule-island-exodus-2022-night-1-setlist-ron-holloway

Posted : January 17, 2022 5:59 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

"Next came the beloved Rocking Horse". Glad I missed it. 😉 

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : January 18, 2022 8:22 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @lee

"Next came the beloved Rocking Horse". Glad I missed it. 😉 

So one song you don't like ruins the rest of the concert experience for you? I used to call those bathroom or beer breaks but to each his own. 😉 

This post was modified 2 years ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : January 18, 2022 9:41 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@lee Warren Haynes and Butch Trucks wanted Rocking Horse on 1994's "Where It All Begins" but Dickey refused to do it opting instead to record Dickey's " Mean Woman Blues". But he got Warren to sing it. 

Butch blew a fuse about that. Butch was still mad about it 15 years later when he said the band's bully dictator wouldn't allow it and Rocking Horse was a much better song than Mean Woman Blues. 

I don't know personally. Both songs are okay but never a big favorite of mine. 

Posted : January 18, 2022 9:47 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Tongue in cheek my friend. Hence the emoji.

Posted : January 18, 2022 9:48 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Fair enough, I didn't realize the winking emoji was tongue in cheek. On other forums I belong to this was the one for that. 😛 or this 😜 but whatever works for you.

https://emojipedia.org/face-with-tongue/

Posted : January 18, 2022 10:55 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @bill_graham

Fair enough, I didn't realize the winking emoji was tongue in cheek. On other forums I belong to this was the one for that. 😛 or this 😜 but whatever works for you.

No big deal. I usually know Mule will give me a song or two I don't care for. That's one. It wouldn't preclude me from seeing them. Now if they do that and Soulshine back to back, oh boy! I actually saw them do that in Niagara Falls. I spent a half hour in the lobby.

Posted : January 18, 2022 1:03 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

No big deal. I usually know Mule will give me a song or two I don't care for. That's one. It wouldn't preclude me from seeing them. Now if they do that and Soulshine back to back, oh boy! I actually saw them do that in Niagara Falls. I spent a half hour in the lobby.

Have to admit I don't think all Mule songs are winners but can't think of any I dislike so much that it would drive me to the lobby. 

The good thing about the Mule is they usually play long songs so it gives you plenty of time to hit the head or get another cocktail if you get those two songs together.

Posted : January 18, 2022 3:22 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Isn't hitting the head and getting a cocktail driving you to the lobby? Hmm... 😛 

Granted, a half hour is extensive. That was actually an ABB show, not Mule. 

Posted : January 18, 2022 6:07 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@lee:  You know I have always felt the same about Rockin' Horse, just never quite got the tune.  Funny you mention it though because just last night I was listening to ABB live @ The Fox Theatre, Oakland, CA, 5-12-09.  If you can find that one on Munck Music or wherever I HIGHLY recommend it, one of my all-time great shows and I was there.  The reason I bring it up is that the version of Rockin' Horse in the second half of that show will completely blow your mind.  They turn it into an amazing 15 minute or so jam that is.......well........breathtaking is the only word I can think of.  I hadn't listened to that show in years and that version of Rockin' Horse just blew me away last night...........had totally forgotten what they did with the song.  Oh by the way......I've heard a LOT of great versions of Jessica but the one at Oakland 5-12-09 to my mind is the very best.  ABB can only described as FIRE that evening.........

This post was modified 2 years ago by robslob

Posted : January 18, 2022 9:53 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Isn't hitting the head and getting a cocktail driving you to the lobby? Hmm... 😛 

Granted, a half hour is extensive. That was actually an ABB show, not Mule. 

Sure but I never headed to the lobby because I disliked a song(s) just to hang out until the song(s) was over. And I have never left an ABB or Mule concert for the lobby for specific songs. When I did go it was because I needed to go if you get my drift so was not picky which song it was.. But to each his own.

Posted : January 18, 2022 9:54 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

Lee usually spent that time in the beer line ....

I remember being on stage in Pittsburgh (RIP Bobo) and laughing when I saw Lee going to get beers - they played quite a few Lee beer songs that night .... 

Posted : January 18, 2022 10:00 pm
Bill_Graham reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @sang

I remember being on stage in Pittsburgh (RIP Bobo) and laughing when I saw Lee going to get beers - they played quite a few Lee beer songs that night .... 

Hey watching concerts is hard work and a man needs his fuel to get through the night. 😛 

Posted : January 18, 2022 10:04 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Yeah there were some clunkers for me that night. But it was a wonderful time with some great people.

But there's no way it was as bad as that 2004 Rockford show. Remember the roughly 45 minute Rocking Horse? And since it was outside there was no escaping it! 😛 😜 

Sure hope I did the emojis correctly this time. 😉 

Oh wait...

Posted : January 19, 2022 9:19 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

"Rockin' Horse" was always a bathroom break song for me too, it's a Mule song not an ABB song. I will say the funky jam they added to the beginning of the song is catchy, but as soon as that  descending line kicks in it was time to get another round.

But, regarding the topic, glad people got a chance to catch Warren w/Ron in Jamaica again. Someone I know is there and they had a blast.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 19, 2022 9:28 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

@porkchopbob 

Yeah I would have loved to go to Jamaica to see them. And having Holloway with them is great. I've seen him wish The dTb, Susan's band, Mule and the ABB. If you've ever met him you know how great of a guy he seems to be. 

The best show I ever saw with him was the ABB Chicago 2005 show when Jack played guitar for Warren. 

Posted : January 19, 2022 10:28 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@lee Yeah Ron is fantastic. One of my favorite shows to spin is Derek/Ron/Jack at Pine Knob from the same run. I probably spin the Kingpins sit in at the Beacon with Ron sitting in for King Curtis as often as anything.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 19, 2022 10:33 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Yeah there were some clunkers for me that night. But it was a wonderful time with some great people.

But there's no way it was as bad as that 2004 Rockford show. Remember the roughly 45 minute Rocking Horse? And since it was outside there was no escaping it! 😛 😜 

Oh wait...

45 minute Rockin Horse? Love that song so it must have been an epic jam..

Good job with the emojis.You are learning Lee. See, you can teach old dogs new tricks. 😛 

This post was modified 2 years ago 3 times by Bill_Graham

Posted : January 19, 2022 3:23 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @porkchopbob

"Rockin' Horse" was always a bathroom break song for me too, it's a Mule song not an ABB song. I will say the funky jam they added to the beginning of the song is catchy, but as soon as that  descending line kicks in it was time to get another round.

But, regarding the topic, glad people got a chance to catch Warren w/Ron in Jamaica again. Someone I know is there and they had a blast.

Why would you say Rockin Horse is a Mule song when the writing credits are Greg Allman, Haynes, Woody, and Pearson?

There a a fair number of songs on the "Hittin the Note" album where Haynes gets the major song writing credit. Do you consider all the Haynes songs on the "Hittin the Note" album to not be real ABB songs?

Not trying to bust your stones but I am just curious.

Posted : January 19, 2022 4:46 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Why would you say Rockin Horse is a Mule song when the writing credits are Greg Allman, Haynes, Woody, and Pearson?

There a a fair number of songs on the "Hittin the Note" album where Haynes gets the major song writing credit. Do you consider all the Haynes songs on the "Hittin the Note" album to not be real ABB songs?

Not trying to bust your stones but I am just curious.

Well, for one, it debuted on Mule's debut album 8 years before Hittin' the Note, so technically was a Mule song regardless of who co-wrote it. Members of Journey co-wrote "Temptation is a Gun" but I would still call it an ABB song.

Personally "Rockin' Horse" never felt to me like an ABB song. Everyone has their own ideas of what the Allman Brothers are and aren't (blues band, southern rock, jazz fusion), but "Rockin' Horse" always felt far too heavy and clunky to be an Allman Brothers song. I find it unmelodious, and even harder ABB songs are melodic.

To be completely honest, in addition to finding "Rockin' Horse" unpleasant to listen to, I think the lyrics are kind of dumb. Don't get me wrong, I like many of Warren's songs, but I'm just not a Mule fan, it's not my jam. Mule and the ABB are just different. Warren can write "Gambler's Roll" for Gregg to sing (Warren went to the gambling well early and often back then), but I'm sure there's material he wouldn't have thought would fit the ABB and kept for Mule. Sure, we've all heard the story that Warren brought it to the band for the Where It All Begins sessions (but didn't immediately offer up "Soulshine" which he had given to Larry McCray and fit the tone of the album much better). Dickey shot it down and I think think it was the right call, even though "Mean Woman Blues" is the weak link on that album to me.

And to that point, Hittin' the Note always felt like half an Allman Brothers album, it's kind of cobbled together from a few new and a few existing songs and covers. It's mostly a wonderful album, grateful we got it at all, but "Maydell" and "Rockin' Horse" always stuck out to me as Mule songs like sore thumbs.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 19, 2022 5:38 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@porkchopbob 

Fair enough pcb just knowing you are not a Mule fan it makes sense now. I respect your opinion as everyone has different tastes in music so it is interesting to see where you are coming from. Too each his own.

Posted : January 19, 2022 6:16 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Oh wait...

45 minute Rockin Horse? Love that song so it must have been an epic jam..

Good job with the emojis.You are learning Lee. See, you can teach old dogs new tricks. 😛 

😛

And yes, it did seem to be about 45 minutes long. I would play it for verification but I gave my instant live of it away a long time ago as I knew I would never listen to it.

The weird thing was the night before the ABB played perhaps the best ABB show I ever saw. I couldn't believe the difference.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Lee

Posted : January 19, 2022 6:26 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@lee I mean, Rockford seems like the place where you'd get a 45 minute "Rockin' Horse". I just looked up the show and of course there was a "Good Clean Fun" in there too.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 19, 2022 6:43 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

According to Nugs it was a 34 minute "Rockin' Horse", but point taken.

https://www.nugs.net/live-download-of-the-allman-brothers-band-on-the-waterfront-festival-rockford-il-09-02-2004-mp3-flac-or-online-music-streaming/20575.html

It seemed longer than that, trust me! 😮 

Posted : January 19, 2022 7:11 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

According to Nugs it was a 34 minute "Rockin' Horse", but point taken.

https://www.nugs.net/live-download-of-the-allman-brothers-band-on-the-waterfront-festival-rockford-il-09-02-2004-mp3-flac-or-online-music-streaming/20575.html

Sounds good, I am going to have to pick that one up!

Posted : January 19, 2022 8:13 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, that Rockford show was different - remember sitting up close.   Brofan was there - I'm sure I have pictures from the bar before the show.  There was something going on with some woman next to him .. but I don't remember what.  

Posted : January 19, 2022 9:24 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Not a Rocking Horse fan myself but I'd rather go through a 34 minute Rocking Horse than a 34 minute Walkin' The Floor Over You or a 34 minute Ladies Night by Kool and the Gang. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : January 20, 2022 9:12 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Now if they do that and Soulshine back to back, oh boy! I actually saw them do that in Niagara Falls.

How about a "Soulshine" / "Lightshine" cover encore?!

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 20, 2022 10:17 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob  I still have two vinyl Jesse Colin Young albums I bought in the 1970's. I bought both the same day at a record store and head shop called "The Electric Banana" I found out from the proprietor who always seemed to be so waisted on pot that it's the singer I liked on that Youngbloods album I bought in the late 1960's. 

To me other than Little Martha, Soulshine by Warren Haynes is the ONLY song that became an original Allman Brothers  classic not written by Gregg or Dickey. It has been played on YouTube over a million times and is the only ABB original I hear on the two classic rock stations I can pick up not by Gregg or Dickey except for Little Martha. And Seven Turns and Where It All Begins are the only post 1989 albums they play. Eat A Peach and Brothers and Sisters tracks are on 80 percent of the time with the exception of Statesboro Blues from AFE. 

Now answer this. Why does Soulshine sound so much like Light Shine by Young? Almost too close for comfort if I had to explain it in court. 

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : January 20, 2022 11:32 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: