Clear all

GOVT MULE Island Exodus 2022

34 Posts
6 Users
4 Likes
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@robertdee They are pretty similar. The chord progression isn't exact and "Lightshine" doesn't have any bridge, but the lyrics make me think Warren definitely was "inspired" by it. "Soulshine" is the better song by far, but if it was Marvin Gaye's estate I'd be nervous.

Maybe that's why Warren didn't record it initially, funny that it's become pretty much his anthem.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 20, 2022 12:08 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob Melody is very similar isn't it?  

Yes Soulshine is Warren's commercial breakthrough. It's as close as Warren has come to a hit single other than being a co-writer on that Garth Brooks hit from the 1980's. 

The track from Where It All Begins has been played well over a million times on YouTube. Just like Blue Sky, Ramblin' Man, Midnight Rider, Melissa etc. It's apparently one of the hits one associates with the Allman Brothers. The other track on that album would be No One Left To Run With. Bo Diddley threatened to sue over that one. Never heard anymore after reading the initial report in 1995. But Dickey said before Bo became interested in what was going on that he was going for a Bo Diddley inspired tune. It was written long before Where It All Begins came out. 

This post was modified 2 years ago 3 times by robertdee

Posted : January 20, 2022 12:56 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@robertdee co-written by Dickey and John Prestia back in the early 1980s, who also still performs the tune on occasion.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 20, 2022 1:00 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @sang

Yeah, that Rockford show was different - remember sitting up close.   Brofan was there - I'm sure I have pictures from the bar before the show.  There was something going on with some woman next to him .. but I don't remember what.  

Oh, I can answer that one. If you recall, you were like in front of Gregg and Rich and I was in front of the other end of the stage. There was this girl that was really, really drunk. As was her male friend. I guess she thought it was a good idea to um, touch me. A lot. They were in the row right behind us. I was kind of annoyed but Rich was getting pissed. Fortunately other than saying some choice words to her nothing happened.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Lee

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : January 23, 2022 9:59 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: