The Allman Brothers Band
Black Jacket Sympho...

Notifications
Clear all

Black Jacket Symphony was awesome last night my friends.

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
masbama
(@masbama)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Eat a Peach in its entirety.

Posted : September 13, 2015 7:17 pm
Charlesinator
(@charlesinator)
Reputable Member

I assume Black Jack Symphony is a band and they played somewhere (club, garage, someone's basement) and they played ABB. I assume you liked it. The problem with being obtuse is nobody really cares.

Posted : September 14, 2015 11:20 am
masbama
(@masbama)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Black Jacket Symphony is pretty well known here in the Southeast, pal.

Posted : September 14, 2015 6:32 pm
Charlesinator
(@charlesinator)
Reputable Member

I'm sorry Bro. I haven't heard of them and I'm in the Southeast. I'm sure they are probably good. It's just if you're trying to turn somebody on to them, why be so vague. How bout a little who, what, when, where? Maybe a link for christsakes ...That's what my dig was at. 😉

Posted : September 14, 2015 6:58 pm
Charlesinator
(@charlesinator)
Reputable Member

From what their FB says Black Jacket Symphony is a couple of guys from Brimngham who put together a band and perform classic albums in their entirety. Cool concept. Similar to the Long Players in Nashville and the Waybacks when they do their Album Hour at the Hillside Jam at Merlefest. Just a little FYI for those who like myself didn't have a clue who BJS was or what madama was talking about.

Posted : September 14, 2015 7:15 pm
Charlesinator
(@charlesinator)
Reputable Member

Here's a sample of the Waybacks 2011 Merlefest Hillside Jam performing Eat A Peach with Joan Osborne among others.

James Nash of the Waybacks is one of the best unheralded guitarists out there. Their "Album Hour" has become one of the highlights of Merlefest every year. Some of the artist who've aided and abetted over the years Sam Bush, Susan Tedeschi, Sarah Jaroz, Jenz Kruger, Jim Lauderdale, Mike Farris, etc.

Posted : September 14, 2015 7:29 pm
masbama
(@masbama)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Yea, they are a Birmingham based group that tours playing classic albums in their entirety. They stay true to the music and take it seriously. They even got the tones correct on Dickey and Duanes guitars. It's really cool because it shows how intricate the music is as well as how timeless the album is. Highly recommended.
The intro of Les Brers was majestic.

Posted : September 17, 2015 5:17 pm
Charlesinator
(@charlesinator)
Reputable Member

Cool masbama I'll keep an eye out for them in the Charlotte area. There are some great players in the Birmingham area. Their shtick is really a cool idea that I can see gaining popularity. Reproducing classic albums in their entirety with all the nuances is no mean feat. While the Waybacks will do a classic record, they do their own take on it kind of an Americans version. Improvisation is encouraged. The Long Players out of Nashville with Bill Lloyd of Foster and Lloyd do this sporadically, but I've heard it is amazing. Of course Dark Star Orchestra performs live Dead shows from the past which to me is a little too much. However, on a smaller scale if I ever get to play out live again, I've thought about doing little three song sets/medleys of groups i.e. a Beatles set, a Brothers set, etc. I think it might get the audiences attention. Anyway I'll be on the lookout for BJS. (Hmmm wonder if the anagram had anything to do with the name.)

Posted : September 18, 2015 5:58 am
Drummy
(@drummy)
Trusted Member

Click on shows to see where they are playing next and what band is tribute. They play here in the Huntspatch area at VBC but I have not got to see them yet. I hear they really cover most bands well.

http://www.blackjacketsymphony.com/

Posted : September 21, 2015 3:36 pm
masbama
(@masbama)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I think they rotate players depending on the music. The guitarists knew all the notes and . phrasing without looking at music sheets. I brought some friends who are casual fans (knows Ramblin Man and nothing else) and they were blown away.

Posted : September 21, 2015 4:16 pm
leftyblues
(@leftyblues)
Eminent Member

all great players

Posted : September 22, 2015 8:30 am
Share: