Bands with all original members.....

24 Posts
10 Users
5 Likes
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

....or an act that only had one original member from day one and a rotating cast of players.

Not trying to hi jack the other thread, but I have thought about this before. Could get kinda dicey and debatable depending on how you look at it. Would it be from day one when the all got together/came into the band, the same personal from that point on? Or we could look at it from the bands first release and carrying forward from there? There might have been years that  members have come and gone, but currently have all original, depending on how you look a it.

This is what I came up with,so please correct me if I am wrong.

ZZtop-From the first release, yes, but there were a couple of others besides Dusty and Frank . That I can think of,  they are the only one of a few bands to have every original member on every album . Nobody floated in and out like Aerosmith and Cheap Trick and maybe some others.

Aerosmith-From the first release, Whitford replaced another guitar player.

U2- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_U2. I do not know much about them, but I assume the same four appeared on every release.

Motley Crue

Kings X-They had a couple of others rhythm guitarist, but the core three has always been there and on every release.

Cheap Trick- that whole thing is kinda tricky with Bun.

one original member from day one and a rotating cast of players

Jethro Tull-Ian Anderson

Rainbow-Blackmore

Whitennake-Coverdale

MSG-Schenker

Or how about two versions of a band? Might be a few others.

Yes and Yes Featuring Anderson,Rabin,Wakeman

Great White and Jack Russells Great White

I think Queensryche and Ratt had similar situations. KK Downing has a band called KK's Priest.

This topic was modified 3 years ago by jszfunk

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : March 6, 2021 9:51 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Yes I had heard Z Z Top had a different drummer and bass player before their first album and looked it up and it is true. 

Of course the Beatles had a different drummer before they recorded. 

Lynyrd Skynyrd had some changes before they recorded their first. 

Posted : March 6, 2021 10:48 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

I remember one year when there were 2 or 3 line-ups of the Beach Boys on tour.

Posted : March 6, 2021 11:00 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @rusty

Yikes!!! One is bad enough.....just kidding!! 😝 😝 😝 

Posted : March 6, 2021 11:03 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogus_Deep_Purple

Bogus Deep Purple

In 1980, ex-Deep Purple vocalist Rod Evans was contacted by a management team who offered him a chance to play under the Deep Purple name again, which he took. He fronted this band of unknown session musicians, which became known to Deep Purple fans as the Bogus Deep Purple. The band played across the US, Canada and Mexico, with many shows ending in riots.

The group was formed by a management company intent on making money from reformed groups (Deep Purple had been disbanded since 1976, and would not reunite until 1984) with a minimum of original members. Evans was recruited as he was no longer working in the music industry with an active career. He in turn contacted founding bassist Nick Simper, who turned the offer down.[1]

The group played their first gig at the Civic Center, Amarillo, Texas on May 17, 1980, and played several shows in the state before headlining a show at the Estadio Inde Olimpico, Mexico City on June 28.[2]

On 18 August 1980, Deep Purple's management put an ad in the Los Angeles Times underneath one for a concert that was to take place the following day at the Long Beach Arena, California, stating:[3]

The following STARS WILL NOT PERFORM at the
Deep Purple Concert at
Long Beach Arena Tomorrow, Aug. 19, 1980.

RITCHIE BLACKMORE
DAVID COVERDALE
IAN GILLAN
ROGER GLOVER
GLEN HUGHES (sic)
JON LORD
IAN PAICE

The other former members were contacted about the bogus group, and their management sued Evans, given that he was the only member of the band who received booking royalties and who had any rights to the name "Deep Purple". Evans was sued for damages of $672,000 (USD) (US$2,085,208 in 2019 dollars[4]) for using the band name without permission, which included $168,000 in actual damages (US$521,302 in 2019 dollars[4]) and $504,000 (US$1,563,906 in 2019 dollars[4]) in punitive damages. Being unable to pay this amount, Evans was required to forfeit all future royalties from the albums and singles recorded by the Mark I lineup of Deep Purple. This effectively ended Evans' career as a performing musician, as any future earnings he made from performing would have to be paid toward the lawsuit and since then, he no longer receives royalties for his work with Deep Purple.

Both Ian Paice and Jon Lord remarked it was not about money, but about saving the good name of Deep Purple. Paice stated, "We didn't make that money, it all went to the lawyers involved. [But] the only chance to stop that band was to sue Rod." Lord acknowledged that he did not enjoy having to testify in court against Evans, stating he must have known that he couldn't get away with a fake Deep Purple and blaming him for "being silly".[5]

Personnel

• Rod Evans - vocals
  • Tony Flynn - guitar
  • Tom de Rivera - bass
  • Dick Jurgens III - drums
  • Geoff Emery - keyboards

The instrumentalists had previously played in a fake Steppenwolf band organised by the same management company a few years before[6] - in fact, there is one gig report stating that the Bogus Steppenwolf opened for the Bogus Deep Purple, using exactly the same backing band.

Posted : March 6, 2021 11:07 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Posted by: @jszfunk

Yikes!!! One is bad enough.....just kidding!! 😝 😝 😝 

I've always had a spot for the Beach Boys.  Brian's songwriting and their harmonies created some of America's finest pop music.  I'm not necessarily a big fan of pop music.  For me, the Beach Boys are like the "American Beatles" - they just didn't grow and progress like the Fab 4 did.  But yeah, more than one version of 'em at a time is way too many!  

Posted : March 6, 2021 11:07 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@jszfunk  A bogus version of Deep Purple without Steve Morse is just bogus!  😉

I'm not a Deep Purple aficionado, but any chance to see Steve Morse should never be passed up!  

Posted : March 6, 2021 11:12 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@jszfunk  A bogus version of Deep Purple without Steve Morse is just bogus!  😉

I'm not a Deep Purple aficionado, but any chance to see Steve Morse should never be passed up!  

Posted : March 6, 2021 11:29 am
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@jszfunk  That was way beyond awesome!

Posted : March 6, 2021 11:38 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@rusty Yeah , I wish they would feature a few more Morse era tunes in the setlist. They do if they are actively promoting a new release, but as far as his back catalog with the band, it;s kinda hit or miss and here and there.

Posted : March 6, 2021 11:42 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted : March 6, 2021 11:45 am
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

I'm sure the Purple People come to hear the classic stuff, so I can kinda understand that.  I'm glad that Steve has been accepted by their fan base.  The die-hards seemed slow to let go of Ritchie Blackmore.  From their standpoint, I get that.  I don't think there's a better guitarist within light years of our galaxy than Steve Morse! 

Posted : March 6, 2021 11:49 am
jszfunk reacted
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

If I understand the OP correctly I think the Black Crowes would qualify with honors

Posted : March 6, 2021 1:32 pm
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member

....or an act that only had one original member from day one and a rotating cast of players.

Not trying to hi jack the other thread, but I have thought about this before. Could get kinda dicey and debatable depending on how you look at it. Would it be from day one when the all got together/came into the band, the same personal from that point on? Or we could look at it from the bands first release and carrying forward from there? There might have been years that  members have come and gone, but currently have all original, depending on how you look a it.

ZZtop-From the first release, yes, but there were a couple of others besides Dusty and Frank . That I can think of,  they are the only one of a few bands to have every original member on every album . Nobody floated in and out like Aerosmith and Cheap Trick and maybe some others.

U2- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_U2. I do not know much about them, but I assume the same four appeared on every release.

Motley Crue

Kings X-They had a couple of others rhythm guitarist, but the core three has always been there and on every release.

EDIT: never mind the below. I realized you said currently have all original members. 

I think only ZZ Top and U2 apply from your list. 

Motley Crue had a period (what to me was their one good album) with John Corabi on vocals and Vince Neal was out of the band. Also, there was a time they had a different drummer than Tommy Lee in the 90s or 00's.

Tom Petersson was out of Cheap Trick during the early 80s and they had two different bass players during that time. Plus Bun E Carlos being pushed out of the band. 

Aerosmith had periods of time in the early 80's and released albums without Whitford and Perry.

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by WarEagleRK

Posted : March 6, 2021 2:16 pm
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member

As far as one band member and a rotating cast...

Tony Iommi has been the only consistent member of Black Sabbath's many different versions.

Lemmy with Motorhead. 

Ian Paice the same for Deep Purple. 

Jakob Dylan with the Wallflowers.

Dave Pirner with Soul Asylum.

Posted : March 6, 2021 2:22 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Robert Fripp King Crimson?

Posted : March 6, 2021 2:52 pm
Psy
 Psy
(@psy)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @stephen

Robert Fripp King Crimson?

Yeah. That's the first one that came to my mind for having one original member from day one and a rotating cast of players. I think King Crimson has been Robert Fripp's band from the beginning.

Savoy Brown is the second one I thought of. I'm pretty sure that Kim Simmonds started the band and has kept it going from the beginning.

Posted : March 7, 2021 7:59 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@jszfunk:  Yeah I have read about this fake Deep Purple featuring Rod Evans.  Stupid move by Evans obviously, and since he was on I believe the first two Purple records, a horrible result for him financially, having to forfeit all future royalties.  Not that those records were selling much at all by 1980, but I would think that the hit Hush still gets some occasional airplay so that has to be a significant chunk of cash that he has lost by his unwise decision to form this "Bogus" band.  The article I read said that this bogus Deep Purple had at least one gig, in Mexico City.  Reports were that it was SO hoaky that they featured a running chainsaw onstage!  By the way, if anyone doesn't know, Captain Beyond featuring Evans on vocals was a tremendous band that never got promoted and never got off the ground.  

Side note:  40 years ago I knew Rod Evans' ex-girlfriend because I was living in L.A. and she was dating my roommate.  If I told you she was gorgeous that would be a huge understatement.  She told me Evans got fed up with the music biz after Deep Purple dumped him and Captain Beyond failed.  She said he became an x-ray technician.

At around the 4:00 mark you will get an idea of just how BAD this Bogus Deep Purple really was:

This post was modified 3 years ago by robslob

Posted : March 7, 2021 11:22 am
aiq
 aiq
(@aiq)
Reputable Member

I feel fortunate to have heard the Cream reunion at MSG with the original members.

Legit. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by aiq

Posted : March 7, 2021 2:12 pm
Rusty reacted
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member

Posted by: @robslob  

At around the 4:00 mark you will get an idea of just how BAD this Bogus Deep Purple really was:

Wow, that guy was no Jon Lord. 

Posted : March 7, 2021 7:33 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@wareaglerk:  Damn straight, NO Jon Lord.  In fact, he's so bad, it makes me wonder how he ever got a job as a working musician.

Posted : March 7, 2021 9:26 pm
WarEagleRK reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @wareaglerk

As far as one band member and a rotating cast...

Tony Iommi has been the only consistent member of Black Sabbath's many different versions.

Lemmy with Motorhead. 

Ian Paice the same for Deep Purple. 

I forgot about those...good call!

Posted : March 8, 2021 8:51 am
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member

Motley Crue

one original member from day one and a rotating cast of players

Jethro Tull-Ian Anderson

Rainbow-Blackmore

Whitennake-Coverdale

MSG-Schenker

Or how about two versions of a band? Might be a few others.

Yes and Yes Featuring Anderson,Rabin,Wakeman

Great White and Jack Russells Great White

I think Queensryche and Ratt had similar situations. KK Downing has a band called KK's Priest.

Not hijacking at all, just looking at band membership from another angle. Thanks for opening up another discussion.

Billastro

Posted : March 8, 2021 2:31 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@billastro you bet!!

Posted : March 9, 2021 8:42 am
Share: