The Allman Brothers Band
Amy Winehouse: Monk...

Notifications
Clear all

Amy Winehouse: Monkey Man (Glastonbury Festival, England 2007)

12 Posts
5 Users
1 Likes
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

If this doesn't get you shaking your booty then look out for the mortician 'cause he ain't far away.  

FYI, Amy's entire 51 minute set at Glastonbury is available on Youtube.  HIGHLY recommended!!
My assessment of her at this show is that she is likely high but she was not yet even near the point that it effected her performance in the least.  

This topic was modified 3 years ago by robslob

Posted : April 11, 2021 7:56 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Posted : April 13, 2021 9:24 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@robslob I recall the interview with Tony Bennett in the wake of Amy's untimely death. Bennett was shaken and very reflective. Bennett said Amy was special. She had something that can't be taught or learned. You are born with it. Amy was the first girl singer Bennett encountered who had that cosmic magic like Billy Holliday, Ella Fitzgerald or Jo Stafford from the 1940s. 

This is not that interview. Still looking for it. But Tony does mention Any here. 

My favorite Bennett song: 

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : April 13, 2021 9:41 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@robslob

Nice but as much as I love Toots I am slightly disappointed because I was really stoked to hear her cover one of my favorite Rolling Stones songs (both tunes debuted in 1969 coincidentally).

Amy Winehouse was great even when she wasn't.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : April 13, 2021 11:00 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@porkchopbob:  Monkey Man is a Toots Hibbert tune?  I did not know that.  I actually wondered where she got that, I assumed she did not write it.

This post was modified 3 years ago by robslob

Posted : April 13, 2021 11:45 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@robslob

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : April 13, 2021 11:49 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@porkchopbob:  THANKS!

Posted : April 13, 2021 11:54 am
PorkchopBob reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob. Here is a 1969 Stones song with Anita Hooker and Fast Annie Fanny. Best I could do. 

Posted : April 13, 2021 4:48 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob

Here is how Keith does it. Sometimes it seems Keith doesn't do much but clearly his guitar riffs and writing is huge for the Stones. 

Posted : April 13, 2021 5:13 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @porkchopbob

@robslob

Nice but as much as I love Toots I am slightly disappointed because I was really stoked to hear her cover one of my favorite Rolling Stones songs (both tunes debuted in 1969 coincidentally).

Amy Winehouse was great even when she wasn't.

Yeah me too...I thought it was gonna be the  Stones also! I never really followed Amy Winehouse,dont know a whole lot about her.

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : April 14, 2021 3:51 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@jszfunk Amy tragically died of a drug overdose at age 27.  She wasn't a rocker per se and had the ability to sing like the great pop and jazz singers of the 1940's, 50's and 60's. Crooner Tony Bennett was very impressed with her. 

Glad to hear you are a Rolling Stones fan. They are not only one of the all time most successful rock and roll band but the longest lived starting in 1963 and perhaps still together. A man are Keith and Mick rich. Both are worth north of $350 million. 

Posted : April 14, 2021 5:30 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

If you all want a nice intro to Toots, check out “True Love” it’s from 2004 and is Toots with a different guest on each song. Some of those all-collaboration albums can be a big miss, this one was fantastic. 

Willie Nelson, Clapton, Bonnie Raitt, Jeff Beck, the Stones, Ben Harper. Off the top of my head. 

and of course my boys Sublime cover 54-46 That’s My Number. 

Toots was great. 

Posted : April 16, 2021 10:51 pm
Share: