Notifications
Clear all

Albums With Not One Bad Song

Page 1 / 2
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

My wife and I are sitting here listening to music and I put on John Mellencamp's "Scarecrow" album. I said there isn't a bad song on it. So we got to thinking about albums with nothing bad on them. Usually there is a clunker.

Any studio albums good start to finish?

This topic was modified 1 month ago by Lee

You got to go to hell before you get to Heaven.

Topic starter Posted : June 18, 2021 8:45 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach

I guess that's all subjective and a matter of opinion . Good topic.....I will have to think on that one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 18, 2021 10:44 pm
50split
(@50split)
Peach Master

alone together-dave mason

aztec two step's 1st album

clapton's 1st solo album

the band

mock tudor-richard thompson

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2021 1:11 am
50split
(@50split)
Peach Master

alone together-dave mason

aztec two step's 1st album

clapton's 1st solo album

the band

mock tudor-richard thompson

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2021 1:11 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Ultimate Peach

Since this an Allman Brothers site I will submit:

Idlewild South 

At Fillmore East 

Eat A Peach 

Brothers and Sisters 

Laid Back 

Anyone find any song on the above filler or a clinker? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2021 8:40 am
Rusty liked
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @robertdee

Idlewild South 

At Fillmore East 

Eat A Peach 

Brothers and Sisters 

Laid Back 

I didn't know Fillmore East was a studio album. 😉 

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by Lee

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 19, 2021 9:25 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Idlewild South 

At Fillmore East 

Eat A Peach 

Brothers and Sisters 

Laid Back 

I get your drift & whether individually or packaged as Beginnings, not a bad song anywhere on those 3 albums

on topic, Street Parade, Steve Gibbons Band, longtime fave, varied, every song a winner

Sly & the Family Stone’s Greatest Hits - well arranged song flow, Tops Front To Back! listening now

Midnight Oil’s Diesel & Dust too 🎶🤙😆good wknd

This post was modified 1 month ago by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2021 9:53 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Ultimate Peach

@lee  Oh I'm sorry. Didn't notice it was only studio albums. 

Okay change that to the ABB's first album. All the songs to me are real good but it is a bit raw and they didn't get the producer they wanted.  

But Gregg Allman never liked his vocals on that album and always regretted he didn't put his foot down with Adrian Barber and make him re-record all of the lead vocals. Duane made him give Duane another pass at his solo on Dreams sometime later. 

Pretzel Logic by Steely Dan would be a non ABB album I played often in the 1970's and thought all the songs were winners. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2021 9:58 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
World Class Peach

There are so many, for example, entire albums by Miles, Freddie King, Muddy Waters etc. that I like every single song.

However, when I read the thread title the first five that came to mind were

Tommy Bolin "Teaser"

Chris Duarte "My Soul Alone"

The Who "Who's Next"

Doobie Brothers "What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits"

Derek & The Dominoes "Layla"

"There is never any end. There are always new sounds to imagine; new feelings to get at. And always, there is the need to keep purifying these feelings and sounds so that we can really see what we've discovered in its pure state." John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2021 11:58 am
harvey liked
pixielf
(@pixielf)
A Peach Supreme

I agree with Coot.  There are MANY but here's a few that came to mind immediately:

The Beatles/Abbey Road

Elton John/Tumbleweed Connection

Allman Brothers/At the Fillmore East

Taj Mahal/The Natch'l Blues

Rolling Stones/Beggars Banquet

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2021 1:52 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@robertdee 

No problem. It was just that we were playing it last night and I thought, "God everything on this is great". Even the song his grandma did was cute. I didn't mean greatest hits albums, which they could pick and choose what was the best.

The Band is a good one. I didn't actually think the first ABB album was all that great although I certainly like it.

While not a band probably most on this site don't listen to, I think both of the two Damn Yankees albums were awesome. 

I imagine people can think of a bunch of others. Abbey Road has to be up there. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is another.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 19, 2021 2:15 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
World Class Peach

David Bowie:  The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars  

The Jimi Hendrix Experience:  Are You Experienced?

Cream:  Disraeli Gears

Black Sabbath:  Paranoid

The Beatles:  Rubber Soul

The Allman Brothers Band:  Eat A Peach

IMO, every one of these is a classic and not one of them contains one single clunker.

This post was modified 1 month ago 3 times by robslob
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2021 3:56 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire

@lee  ... 

Pretzel Logic by Steely Dan would be a non ABB album I played often in the 1970's and thought all the songs were winners. 

I have never heard a Steely Dan tune that I didn't like.  Add every one of their albums to the list, please.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2021 4:40 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @oldcoot

Doobie Brothers "What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" ...

Toulouse Street and Living On the Fault Line are also solid top to bottom.  Pass me them doobies, brother!  

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2021 4:44 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Ultimate Peach

@rusty  Yes I still have my vinyl copy of "What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" and " Toulouse Street". And " Captain and Me" had all good tracks I thought. 

I liked The Doobie's religious material too! 

This post was modified 1 month ago by robertdee
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2021 5:30 pm
Rusty liked
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire

@robertdee I don't know if that one was a Doobie original or not.  I haven't read the credits in years, but I think it's a cover.

All of the Doobie guitarists are just first-string all stars.  None ever turn up in those Top 100 lists, but they're all incredible.  Pat Simmons plays some of the tastiest acoustic stuff you'll ever hear.  Tom Johnston is a rock and roll monster and John McFee is a whiz on several instruments.  Did you know that he played pedal steel on Van Morrison's, "Tupelo Honey" and on a lot of the early Elvis Costello stuff?  Then there was Jeff Baxter - also one of the greatest but rarely talked about.  Great albums - great live band!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2021 5:43 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Ultimate Peach

@rusty

Color version of Jesus is Just All Right and Listen To The Music. 

Yes I saw them live 4 or 5 times before Michael McDonald joined. And Skunk Baxter of Steely Dan eventually joined. 

They had about 7 million selling albums and several hit singles. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2021 5:51 pm
Rusty liked
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Ultimate Peach

@rusty Just checked on Jesus Is Just Alright. It is a cover Arthur Reid Reynolds wrote it for his gospel group and they released it in 1966. 

The Byrd's covered it too before the Doobies. It was on Toulouse Street by the Doobie Brothers released in 1972 which sold over 2 million copies. 

The original. 1966. 

Byrd's cover in 1970. I wasn't aware the Byrds covered the song or who wrote it. Arthur Reid Reynolds wrote it for his Arthur Reynolds Singers. 

I bet Reynold was well pleased with his royalty check from Toulouse Street. Probably wasn't expecting the song to get covered. 

One Way Out on Eat A Peach was the BIG payday for Elmore James, Marshall Sehorn and Sonny Boy Williamson on that song. And Marshall Sehorn didn't write anything about One Way Out. He got his name on it for doing some business favors for Elmore James when James needed a nice cash advance. That is how Steve Alaimo got his name on Melissa. He gave Gregg Allman $500.00 when Gregg was broke and needed the money. When Gregg had the money Steve wouldn't take the $500.00. I think Gregg got Steve to give up his credit for $20,000.00 and he made a big pile off of Eat A Peach before Gregg got his name off it.  

Anybody need $500.00 dollars for a writing credit that will later be on a million selling album? I've got the 5 right here:)

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by robertdee
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2021 5:58 pm
Rusty liked
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire

@robertdee You can hear Clarence White's B-bender Telecaster (now owned by Marty Stuart) on this one!  Probably one the most "Frankensteined" Fenders in the world!  

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2021 7:21 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Ultimate Peach

@rusty Thanks for the tip. I like Telecasters. Joe Bonamassa's 1950 Nocaster Telecaster style guitar I read was located. It was stolen sometime back. Apparently it was built before they decided on the Telecaster name so it's called a Nocaster. Joe has a huge collection. Surprised he got some stolen. 

Also the Crossroads movie guitar duel between the young man using a Tele and Steve Vai playing the devil and playing a so-called Super Strat became a crazy search for a writer at Guitar World magazine that lasted for months. The guitar is a Jackson souped Strat type guitar that is a cherry red. Steve Vai couldn't remember what he did with the guitar. It was finally tracked down at a Hard Rock Cafe in New Zealand in a glass case as decoration for the cafe by a Jackson collector in Europe. 

It turned out to be the most famous electric guitar nobody heard:). It's in the movie and it looks like Vai is playing it but he actually dubbed in another guitar. Some unfinished fake copies were also made so Vai wouldn't have to throw the real guitar on the floor and perhaps break it.

Kramer, Hamer, Jackson, Charvel are some of the makes of so-called Super Strat or FrankenStrat guitars. Fender's custom shop makes specially built Strats too with any kind of pickups and everything else. You pick it and it's factory installed.  But the best seller is the R7 Super Strat by Ibanez. One of those is what Vai actually plays on the movie sound track and Ibanez is a big seller for metal players. 

The Jackson is not on the soundtrack. It's an Ibanez. Also Vai also plays the Telecaster EXCEPT Ry Cooler plays the slide guitar parts on the Telecaster. So what we see on the screen...nobody is actually playing a thing:)

This post was modified 1 month ago by robertdee
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2021 9:52 pm
Rusty liked
muletrane
(@muletrane)
Peach Bud

John Prine - first album

Led Zepplin III

Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs

Gov't Mule - first album

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Mojo

Marc Ford - Fuzz Machine

Someday, everything's gonna be different
When I paint my masterpiece.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 20, 2021 8:22 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Ultimate Peach

@muletrane Yes I really was pleased with the first Govt Mule album. Mother Earth probably my favorite but all good songs. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 20, 2021 8:37 am
fender31
(@fender31)
Ultimate Peach

The first 2 Black Sabbath Albums. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 20, 2021 9:22 am
jszfunk liked
robslob
(@robslob)
World Class Peach

@rusty Wow I never knew that John Mcfee played on Van's Tupelo Honey!  Here's something I shot at The Sonoma Music Festival in 2015, Mcfee sitting in with Gregg for These Days.  The Doobies also performed that day.  IMO one of the better These Days I have heard.

This post was modified 1 month ago by robslob
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 20, 2021 10:16 am
Rusty liked
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire

@robslob Awesome!  Thanks for sharing!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 20, 2021 10:23 am
steadyhorse
(@steadyhorse)
Peach Master

Steely Dan - The Royal Scam

Deep Purple - Machine Head

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Eat A Peach

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 20, 2021 2:10 pm
bob1954
(@bob1954)
Peach Extraordianire

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

OK, maybe one clunker.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 20, 2021 2:45 pm
Rusty liked
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire

@bob1954 Johnny Winter - Second Winter.  2-disc set, but side four lacks something.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 20, 2021 3:30 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

🤙good one Rusty!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 20, 2021 4:00 pm
Rusty liked
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @steadyhorse

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

What about The Wall?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 20, 2021 4:26 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: