ABB on cassette, 8 track, reel to reel, odd compilations /imports

23 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Just seeing if any of you still have any ABB on physical formats other than cd and 33rpm vinyl or maybe some off beat compilation and or import. The only one I have below are from the early 90's when I first started to get in to the band. I bought at a gas station. It was like a Best Of compilation.

I was surprised when I was looking on ebay there are cassette versions of Shades and Where it All Begins and Mules debut.

Reel To Reel on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325643555131?hash=item4bd1de513b:g:GIgAAOSwzyFgdczd&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0OrCblvSWWuyygnJvKv7WR5sZ7FGH1QrvcAx2%2FUGpVzDq417zExbG6IwC8BfAGp%2BlXdFAGidoflrvx91gftQ%2FXPuzyJGu7Uoh28Avag%2FDvOnjfMgA1ejTEbg2kOGbTMAPyQYfkA%2F65mJVO8z7deAR4jm7FrG4kpKLgT7Enw2k68qWOQ3GJJJ%2BUUzqb3w40sa4lN59PwmEgz9M9ANwvvRPkYsfuTN4dojU5BKcbSb%2F9QGJkYlopVmTnBZAw8QHw0lnDLXk2is%2F1OsVRddv3H9j8I%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6z4k-WJYg

Good Clean Fun on 45 Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324077220796?hash=item4b7481f3bc:g:j9YAAOSw8iJeTE-J&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4ANWaIJJLZC%2FPav8h7fJb9jrBdvkcuAXFGk3rlsWPyzrkq0PLmEUcknxR0zRQrvKiAvYAtlewq4XIVvfrkJKe6nlSm0KTswUlkTBrRQFe283IMjP8drtcER%2FZ0iLFwcRyp6%2BXfDcNKPuyenAXw3tQzHFZ8xgVrZUYA8eoPnTOrEJ%2FEAsfCVPANMGM6IbUz2P7t6Hw%2FutxSMHxjjcSAoimrTpu4Fr76BW50I8mTH%2BB5SJXCZ6kHbrL2ZgLtF%2BCPL%2FB84EbD9rPeIaVeCxQGMJw2eDE%2Bo0zjW8jue9mqIuPBS6%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6KLxuaJYg

This topic was modified 10 months ago 3 times by jszfunk

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : May 24, 2023 11:14 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

I remember the "good old days" listening to Eat A Peach on 8 track right after its release and the "wonderful" several minute dead air space in Mountain Jam until it kicked to the next track.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : May 24, 2023 1:35 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

These are some interesting finds you ran across. IMO some of it is garbage but some looks pretty neat. A lot of boot crap is out there so if someone is looking for something they kind of have to be careful. I like the imports. The packaging is usually neat and some of it is written in the particular language. The shipping is often the highest cost. 

If you are really interested in some of this stuff I suggest the following book:

The Complete Allman Brother's Band Discography Book 223pgs Dean Reynolds | eBay

It is somewhat difficult to find but it has so much stuff to search for. This topic was discussed years ago. I think I posted that I actually reached out to the author of the book, Dean Reynolds and asked him about doing an updated version of it because I ran across many things that were not in the book. Dean replied and said he didn't see a market for it. 

In my mind a lot of this is for a collector who wants a collection. For the most part there isn't much of a practical reason to have a lot of it. The vinyl you can find elsewhere so even if you have a turn table you can hear it that way. 8-Tracks are neat but who can play one of those? Cassettes are cool if you can play them. I've found those to be difficult to track down. Kind of pricy too.

The things that are REALLY cool are reel to reel. Again, nothing most people could probably play but look and feel of them and the history is great.

For a handful of years I was collecting a lot of things. It is pretty much stored away now. Maybe on a yucky weather day I will pull it out and take some pictures and post.

This post was modified 10 months ago by Lee

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : May 26, 2023 9:11 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

I play tapes in my 1992 Jeep Cherokee and my 1993 Jeep Wrangler.  Some ABB studio cassettes and a bunch of live shows find their way in there.  I have a 79 CJ7 that is undergoing some work, so technically that makes 3.  Actually, I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler with a tape deck too but I have never tried to play a tape in it because it sounds like it would eat it.

Posted : June 5, 2023 9:55 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I have an audience tape of a 1972 FIVE MAN BAND show. And they were real good that night. 

It's just before Eat A Peach dropped and Gregg promotes they have a new album, Eat A Peach, is coming soon in the Warner Brothers label. 

That was a surprise to me as to that point they were on Capricorn. Actually the first two albums I bought the label was ATCO. Then in small letters was " Capricorn series". 

At Fillmore East bought new in 1971 was a pink label that read CAPRICORN. But in small print was "Distributed by Atlantic Records New York, NY". 

When Eat A Peach was released, the label wasn't Warner Brothers. It was Capricorn in the now familiar Capricorn logo and in small letters " Distributed by Warner Brothers Records". 

Phil Walden had left Atlantic Atco and moved to Warner Brothers for distribution. 

And Eat A Peach sold over a million copies so everyone should be happy! 

But someone wasn't. It was Johnny Sandlin. According to Johnny, Tom Dowd left the project midstream and Johnny took over. Johnny said he clearly remembered mixing Blue Sky BY HIMSELF and realizing it was the LAST electric guitar recorded for Duane Allman. 

Johnny was expecting the billing to be "Produced by Tom Dowd and Johnny Sandlin" but it came out and it was "Produced by Tom Dowd" and in small letters; " Special thanks to Johnny Sandlin". 

That hurt Johnny's feelings and pissed him off. 

Here is track ONE! One of Gregg's best compositions and Dickey's slide guitar is excellent. Big surprise to me. I didn't know Dickey played slide and could be that good. 

This post was modified 10 months ago by robertdee

Posted : June 6, 2023 8:28 am
Share: