The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

What would Duane be doing today?  

RSS
steved
(@steved)
Extreme Peach

Not much action here on the DA page. So I thought I would throw something out there. What would Duane be doing these days? Who he be playing with? Who would he be listening to? We will never know but its fun to contemplate.

Posted : February 8, 2020 12:49 pm
paulw718
(@paulw718)
Peach Head

Well... If Duane did not die on Oct 29, 1971, Berry would not have died a year later. Gregg, probably, wouldn't have gotten so into drugs and alcohol and may not have developed liver cancer. Dickey Betts would, probably, not have gotten to be such a detriment to the ABB and would, probably, not have been fired. Butch Trucks would have been in a different position and, probably, would not have blown his own brains out. So... I have come to the conclusion that the Allman Brothers Band would have been making amazing music all these years and would, probably, still be together in 2020.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 9, 2020 4:18 pm
Billastro
(@billastro)
Extreme Peach

Probably a lot of jazz. He had the band perform the Coltrane-influenced "My Favorite Things" at Gatlinburg and once for an audience who'd never heard of them ( http://allmanbrothersband.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=29768#pid ) ; "Dreams" was his homage to Coltrane; his bird sounds were a salute to Charlie Parker (

); he recorded an album with Herbie Mann.

Listen to the radio program where he played some of his favorite music, and how he enthused about Miles Davis and John Coltrane. Go to https://duaneallman.info/duaneinterviews.htm and pick the second interview (easy to find!)

I don't think he would have abandoned his other roots, but I think he would have featured jazz much more in the band's music.

Billastro

[Edited on 4/1/2020 by Billastro]

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 31, 2020 4:59 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

Agreed Bill, I think Duane would’ve been all over the fusion movement when it came along & would’ve dived more-so into jazz than b4 - of course he loved Coltrane, Bird - the band in its early days was all over the Lifetime album Emergency!, Mahavishnu’s The Inner Mounting Flame, Rahsaan Roland Kirk etc etc - he would’ve really dug Al DeMeola, bands like Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers, music like that

whether or not all this would’ve included the ABB, who knows, but the band almost certainly would’ve stayed intact thru all of it

as you said in the 73 years ago today thread, “Duane may have died in 1971 but his music & influence will last forever”

This post was modified 1 hour ago by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 29, 2020 2:54 pm
Share: