The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

Ronnie Hawkins Gone Now Too

tenorsfan
(@tenorsfan)
Peach Head

Ronnie Hawkins made it to 87. Couldn't have broken all the rules if he lived that long. Made that great record with Duane. Down in the Alley would be a classic if only some re-release would straighten out Eddie Hinton's sour slide at the end there. There's some other great Duane in it too. On his 60th birthday concert with some screaming Jeff Healey, he dedicates Alley to John Lennon as usual and also Duane. Lennon had asked Hawkins something about Down in the Alley, so Hawkins phoned up Duane, but he couldn't remember either. I guess Duane just tossed that playing off  like it was a walk in the park, a walk that no one since has taken. Hawkins wasn't in the studio for that one, since he had a bad cold and his pianist stood in for his vocals til later so I never heard if Hawkins actually met Duane

Topic starter Posted : May 30, 2022 5:45 am
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Peach Master
DuaneRonnie

Duane and Ronnie in the studio. Taken by Michael Ochs

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2022 8:00 am
tenorsfan
(@tenorsfan)
Peach Head

@crosseyedcat Thanks for that. I remember that picture now so Duane and Ronnie did know each other. Now I'm not sure if there were 2 LPs or not. It must have felt like quite the hitting the big time  for Ronnie to have bagged the mighty Skydog after the Band was trying to pretend they didn't know old Ronnie and all his wicked ways. He had said the same thing about hosting John Lennon that he was suddenly cool again with all the people that didn't want to know him anymore. When the radio host interviewing Ronnie's pianist who filled in on the vocals, said you got to play with Duane Allman and how special was that, all the guy said was, oh yes, he was nice. Ahhhh!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 7, 2022 4:53 am
Billastro
(@billastro)
Extreme Peach

Ronnie Hawkins recorded two albums with Duane: https://www.duaneallman.info/duanediscronniehawkins.htm and https://www.duaneallman.info/duanediscthehawk.htm . Both are worth the effort to track them down.

Billastro

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2022 11:12 am
Share: