The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

Duanes 50t years gone

Petegibby
(@petegibby)
Peach Pit

How is it that this Friday is 50 years since Duane passed and there’s almost no mention of it. Guitar player magazine had him on the cover but that’s about it. I was hoping for the dvd or box set we’ve been hearing about for years. Just find it sad 

Topic starter Posted : October 27, 2021 12:22 pm
steved
(@steved)
Extreme Peach

I agree. Nothing! How can it be? I wrote a thread on this site a few weeks ago about this same thing. Hard to believe. Nothing out of the ABB camp... it is disheartening. I thought I read a few years back that Duane's daughter Galadrielle was working on something (not the Duane boxset) in celebration of what would have been Duane's 75th birthday but I guess that is not happening.

I will continue to play Duane and think about all the joy he has brought me with his music for almost 50 years. Long live the Allman Brothers Band. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2021 2:52 pm
Petegibby liked
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

I'm sure you will see more regards and remembrances given on the actual date. In past years, media outlets like Live for Live Music and Relix have written features to commemorate the date, and a Guitar World cover story isn't exactly "nothing".

There are so many anniversaries that are celebrated through out the year - the 50th release of At Fillmore East, the 5th anniversary of the final show (which ended on Oct 29), etc - maybe the anniversary of a tragic death isn't what people close to Duane want to associate with a major release.

Never mind that there already is a comprehensive Duane Allman boxed set, and live footage is entangled in copyrights by most reports. Not to mention, numerous shows from 1971, including his "Final Show", have been released recently. I'm not sure what more there is to share, just turn up your stereo on Friday.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2021 3:18 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Peach Extraordianire

Very strange there is no official activity to commemorate the 50 years of his passing?

I have been listening to the Complete Fillmore East Concerts this week and it is amazing how consistently great all those concerts are. I hear new things every time I listen to them.

Also have a Live in 1970 bootleg silver disc set on order. I am sure most here already have these shows but I collect silver discs so it is nice to have them on physical media even if some of the locations and dates are wrong.  Most likely many of the tapes came from people on this forum I would guess.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Bill_Graham
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2021 7:17 pm
Petegibby
(@petegibby)
Peach Pit

@porkchopbob I will definetly listen all day as I do almost every day. And true”celebrating” his passing may not be what his family friends want but it sadly is a major milestone of losing a legend and his 75th birthday would of been in a few weeks. I was hoping as Galadrielle said and Eddie Kramer did as well that there was some Duane stuff coming out this year as they were working on a documentary up to Eat a Peach 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 27, 2021 7:37 pm
Billastro
(@billastro)
Extreme Peach

I agree that we should acknowledge Duane's death -- this was an unthinkable tragedy. 

But I'd rather see his birth celebrated. November 20 would have been his 75th birthday, and in my reckoning, a better way to celebrate him. 

Billastro

This post was modified 1 month ago by Billastro
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 9:38 am
steved
(@steved)
Extreme Peach

Yes I see your point and in hindsight agree that we should celebrate Duane's birthday and not his passing. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2021 10:51 am
Share: