The Allman Brothers Band
MLB: Tampa Bay Rays...

Notifications
Clear all

MLB: Tampa Bay Rays Still in First Place!

1,910 Posts
31 Users
98 Likes
158.7 K Views
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@lee you're going to need a whole case after you hear about Kris Bryant...

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : July 30, 2021 4:44 pm
CB
 CB
(@cb)
Estimable Member

Wow, looks like the CUBS gave up on being anything for the next couple of years.

Rizzo, Baez, Bryant, Kimbrel.  In addition to not resigning Swarber and Lester.

I bet Contreras and Heyward are lonely.

I've got some blue hats and shirts that need replacing.

Posted : July 30, 2021 4:57 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yeah, I hear both of you. Even the Red Sux fan. I have my Tiggers on the rebound.

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : July 30, 2021 5:07 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @porkchopbob

@lee you're going to need a whole case after you hear about Kris Bryant...

I'll take a case of Spotted Cow. 😉 

Posted : July 30, 2021 5:11 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

I would have liked to see the Cardinals go for Kimbrel - but the Sox will be even more fun to watch ....

Maybe my Cub fan brother will stop sending me that W flag every time they win ... that 11 game losing streak was a nice break ...

Smile

Posted : July 30, 2021 7:35 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@cb 

I thought of that, the guys still there. But I saw Jed Hoyer, the Cubs front office guy make a great point. He said there is nothing to stop the Cubs from re-signing these guys in the off season. Just like what the Yanks did renting Chapman to the Cubs to help win a World Series. Worked out great for NY. They were out of it anyway and the Cubs gave them Torres. Terrible trade.

Posted : July 31, 2021 7:40 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @sang

I would have liked to see the Cardinals go for Kimbrel - but the Sox will be even more fun to watch ....

Maybe my Cub fan brother will stop sending me that W flag every time they win ... that 11 game losing streak was a nice break ...

Smile

I don't understand why the Sux did that. They signed Liam Hendriks in the off season to be their closer and he has done well. And they gave up Nick Madrigal, who is a good young player. Do they really need two closers?

Posted : July 31, 2021 7:47 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Me neither, it’s kind of like when the Yankees signed FA Rich Gossage to a big contract when they already had Sparky Lyle, who’d merely won the Cy Young award

I often wonder if we would’ve had the trials & tribulations we had in 1967 had Sparky been healthy - he pitched well b4 getting hurt

Both Hendrickses have pitched well in Chicago this year 

let’s go Sox, time to get the pitching in order

Posted : July 31, 2021 9:13 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

guessing Lee will be rooting for Jon Lester, also 37, when he faces Kyle Hendricks (12-4) & his ex-Cubs teammates tmrw nite

Nope - he’s a Cahdinal now!😮

Posted : July 31, 2021 12:59 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @stephen

Me neither, it’s kind of like when the Yankees signed FA Rich Gossage to a big contract when they already had Sparky Lyle, who’d merely won the Cy Young award

I often wonder if we would’ve had the trials & tribulations we had in 1967 had Sparky been healthy - he pitched well b4 getting hurt

Both Hendrickses have pitched well in Chicago this year 

let’s go Sox, time to get the pitching in order

They still went to The World Series which was a great one. I think they won the A.L. on the last day of the season. My Tiggers had a shot at it but fell just short.

Posted : July 31, 2021 3:49 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Very cool Lee!🤙- is that a book or a souvenir of some sort? Yep pandemonium broke out in the clubhouse later on too when Tygiz lost, giving us the pennant - they, Twins & Sox all had a shot on the last day of the season, while ChiSox had been eliminated the day before I think - greatest pennant race in history, & the year the game was Never played at a higher level individually than LF, #8, Carl Yastrzemski (subjective of course but I’m biased⚾️

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : July 31, 2021 5:28 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@stephen 

It was arguably the best pennant race ever since so many teams were involved. Although the 1951 Giants / Dodgers was great if just for just Bobby Thomson's "Shot Heard Round the World".

The '68 season was when Yaz won the batting title with the low low average of .301.

Regarding your question, it is a book. Amazon has it of course. I think it's like 22 bucks or something.

If you remember this happening and you're a fan, I'm sure it's a great read! 😊 

Posted : August 1, 2021 8:03 am
Stephen reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

We got spanked 9-1 the last time on Sunday night

we’ve lost 4 of 5 coming into tonight

In the old days you’d say “we need a solid complete-game win to put a stop to this pitching slump we’re in”

while it holds true today, it also doesn’t apply 

mayb Schwarber will become our new Steve Pearce😮⚾️
C’mon Nick, we’ll need your best stuff, all 9 innings - let’s go Sox

Posted : August 1, 2021 1:20 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

A grand slam for Miggy on a 3-2 count w/2 out putting Tygiz up 7-5 - 2 for 3 on the nite - yep the old cliche, that old geezer could be heating up w/the weathah

Sure enough he ended July w/11 hits in 25 AB to get his BA to .250 - 0 for 1 today w/a run, RBI sac fly & 2 walks - is 58 away from the 3,000 career-hits mark, w/54 games left - also 4 HR from 500

Other-aging 1B Albert Puljos cleared the bases w/a double today - 3rd all time in RBI, 5th all time in HRs - he’s a living legend

2-0 TB😖

This post was modified 3 years ago 3 times by Stephen

Posted : August 1, 2021 8:01 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@stephen 

As you know, Miggy doesn't play everyday so I don't think there's much of a chance of him getting to 3,000 hits but I bet he gets the 4 homers he needs.

I'm liking your Red Sux chances to get to the A.L. Championship Series but I think Chicago is better. 😀 

Posted : August 2, 2021 7:45 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yes, & esp as far as pitching - Giolito & Keuchel in front, now Kimbrel & Hendricks closing

AND, they have Seby to pitch to😮 - Seby, the 1st to hit his 1st 3 HRs in the same game

their previous C, Mercedes, had a similar record-breaking start to this season but ended up in the minors after a brief mental-health break

we’re at your place, Comerica, this week - Pivetta was decent last night, but BoSox need better pitching pronto

TB, NY & Tor have all heated up while we’ve cooled off - agree that Sox have an xclnt chance, but getting swept….doesn’t bode well

am very sorry Lee about the loss of your friend’s wife & their child

This post was modified 3 years ago 3 times by Stephen

Posted : August 2, 2021 9:40 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

am very sorry Lee about the loss of your friend’s wife & their child

It's his daughter and unborn grandchild but thanks a lot.

Posted : August 2, 2021 2:36 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Back to baseball, my wife wants to go to Wrigley this weekend the see the Flubs, White Sux play. The cheapest I can get a pair is $160 upstairs on Friday. They aren't horrible seats but if you aren't in the sun they kind of stink. For Saturday & Sunday it is in the $200+ range. 

I don't really want to pay to see a minor league team play the best team in the A.L. My wife and I both have connections and we're looking but this will be a tough ticket. 

Posted : August 2, 2021 2:45 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

My buddy is going to NY for some reason to see the Mets / Yanks at Shea coming up. Never been to Shea. That should be cool. 

Posted : August 2, 2021 2:49 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @lee

My buddy is going to NY for some reason to see the Mets / Yanks at Shea coming up. Never been to Shea. That should be cool. 

I've been to a bunch of games at new Yankee Stadium and Citi Field and Citi is so much better (and affordable).

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 2, 2021 3:01 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @lee

I've been to a bunch of games at new Yankee Stadium and Citi Field and Citi is so much better (and affordable).

Been to both Yankee Stadiums. The ushers were total a holes. Wouldn't let you move out of your seats to take pictures or anything. They almost followed you around if you got up. 🙄 

A few guys from this sight took the tour of the original stadium. That was beyond awesome. They didn't let us or in the dugouts but it was still so cool. Monument Park is amazing. You could take pictures of that. Press Boxes were amazing. I think I have a press guide somewhere.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Lee

Posted : August 2, 2021 3:49 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@lee that's interesting, I never had any trouble with ushers at Yankee Stadium. Were you wearing Cubs gear? 😉 You definitely can't go wander in other sections easily, they don't want anyone squatting in those half empty $1000 seats down below, and I was usually in among the plebes up top.

I preferred going to Brooklyn Cyclones games on the boardwalk in Coney Island. Still my favorite place to watch a game - though Staten Island Yankees has a great view of lower Manhattan. Which is great until you remember you're on Staten Island.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 2, 2021 3:54 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@porkchopbob 

Heh, no wasn't wearing a Flubs hat but they were ironically playing Detroit to it's possible I had a Tiggers hat on. I think they were just jerks.

It was a couple of days after the One For Woody Show at the Roseland Ballroom.

First time I had ever been to The Bronx. I don't want to go there again. 😉 

Posted : August 2, 2021 4:12 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Brewers trade for John Axford for $1. He hasn't pitched in the majors since 2018. He was an ace for the Brewers back 10 years ago when they were chasing a pennant with Prince Fielder, but hasn't really done much since. Interesting move.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 2, 2021 4:41 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Just found out my buddy got me a pair Saturday for the Flubs / Sux game at Wrigley. $40!

Posted : August 2, 2021 5:57 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brewers trade for John Axford for $1. He hasn't pitched in the majors since 2018. He was an ace for the Brewers back 10 years ago when they were chasing a pennant with Prince Fielder, but hasn't really done much since. Interesting move.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blue-jays-trade-john-axford-to-brewers-in-exchange-for-literally-one-dollar-013837530.html

That story is kinda funny and odd. I like that this writer mentions a Loonie. That actually might be worth more than a buck. 😉 

Why not do it? They got a guy for free.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Lee

Posted : August 3, 2021 7:59 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yeah Phillies did that this spring  w/former top mlb pick Mark Appel, who hadn’t pitched in a few years - he’s w/their Triple A team, hasn’t pitched for Phils this season

yeah Wrigley should be buzzin, have a blast this wknd & given a big influx from the South Side along with dismay/disillusionment on the part of Cubs fans, who now need scorecards to tell their players apart etc…..

….Could It Be A Pro-ChiSox Crowd In Wrigley Field This Wknd - 

tygiz, they’re always tough, I wanna see a Sawx sweep but w/Cabrera continuing his assault on 3,000 - he’ll have to be the Miggy of old……

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : August 3, 2021 10:00 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

….Could It Be A Pro-ChiSox Crowd In Wrigley Field This Wknd - 

I dunno. In fact I highly doubt it. 

I've been to a lot of Flubs/Sux games in both places and there are always a lot more Flubs fans in Comiskey than the other way around. 

Posted : August 3, 2021 5:33 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Scherzer makes his LA debut tonight vs Hou - on the same day they sign another aging veteran, LHP Cole Hamels, 37 - obviously they don’t expect Bauer back this year - Clayton remains sidelined

astros got the razz from Dodgiz fans last night - Justin Verlander, 38, is in the last of his 2 year $66 million deal w/Hou while recovering from ye old Tommy John surgery

Let’s

Go 

Sox

Posted : August 4, 2021 1:44 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@stephen 

What's up with Boston losing five straight? 

Posted : August 4, 2021 4:28 pm
Page 47 / 64
Share: