The Allman Brothers Band
MLB: Tampa Bay Rays...

Notifications
Clear all

MLB: Tampa Bay Rays Still in First Place!

1,910 Posts
31 Users
98 Likes
158.7 K Views
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

On the way home from Wrigley after eight innings. Wasn't really an exciting game and other than a few homers,  there really wasn't much action. I'm already roasted from sitting in the sun all afternoon. $12 for a Budweiser. 😧 My ticket was free but still. $7 for a bag of peanuts.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Lee

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : July 25, 2021 5:12 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Cubbies won tho to take series, now 4 key games this week w/Reds

giants took 3 of 4 last week from Dodgiz, now these two old titans meet up again this week - LA is only 2 GB & has held its own w/out Bauer & Kershaw

😆👊Best Win Of The Year, Obviously - twin blasts of 8th-inning relief for Sox fans, when we got our 1st hit, & German was lifted - then when we greeted the new P w/an RBI hit getting us on the board, school was out 

….EPIC, & it’s hard not to look past Tor w/TB on deck next wknd

WATTATEAM, how you go boys

Posted : July 25, 2021 8:38 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Re Indians - apparently there’s a Guardian Bridge nearby the stadium - it has carvings of figures representing guardians - the artwork is cool, I guess it’s considered a Cleveland landmark & so that’s how they came to that name - as my bro said, at least it gives it some reference, but it’s still lame as s**t”

A lotta this stuff goes over my head like an Andre Thornton line shot at Municipal Stadium 

Posted : July 25, 2021 9:02 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

It’s off topic but still - even people offended by the Chicago Blackhawks logo, would say that’s nothing compared to this:

”Former Blackhawks coach forced player into sex using a baseball bat, court documents show”

It’s just another headline, it’s under the Newsweek label, have no idea about credibility etc

how someone could submit to being raped at bat-point when he didn’t want to be, without at least trying to defend himself if not beat the pervert’s face in….

mayb the player was drugged & couldn’t defend himself -

or it indeed could be a bogus story, there’s a lot of em out there - 

but where’s the uproar over this - most sane people would cite this as far more offensive than a logo - a time-honored well-respected logo

…but one now smeared by this story if true…

OK, Let’s Go Sox⚾️

Posted : July 26, 2021 9:55 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

July 26, 1942, a date Cubs fans know well (hehe)

Three of Clyde McCullough’s five HRs that season, come on this day vs Phillies - he was the last catcher to not wear a chest protector

trivia ?, who was the last hockey goalie to not wear a face mask

Posted : July 26, 2021 11:17 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @stephen

trivia ?, who was the last hockey goalie to not wear a face mask

I don't know, but I know who was the first catcher was to wear a throat protector. Any idea? 😎 

Posted : July 26, 2021 4:12 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Benito Santiago? Mike Piazza? Victor Martinez?

Posted : July 26, 2021 4:35 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Benito Santiago? Mike Piazza? Victor Martinez?

I think it's Steve Yeager with the Dodgers in the 70s.

Posted : July 27, 2021 8:20 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

There it is, they knocked SF ace DiS outta the box & Dodgiz take 4-0 lead - they’re keeping the heat on Gmen - SD so-so but hanging around

great finale tmrw w/identical warhorses David Price & Johnny Cueto - both 35, Cueto’s 15th year, Price’s 14th & would be 15th but he opted out last year

Johnny 134-95, 2,007 IP, 3.44 ERA

David 154-80, 2,070 IP, 3.31 ERA

& both with 17 career complete games

neither so good this year, but in the rotation of the top teams - neither more than 5-mayb-6 IP tmrw - big game if series is at stake

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : July 28, 2021 11:18 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Interesting trades. Joey Gallo to the Yanks? Seems like their roster should have enough firepower. The Flubs are giving away their bullpen and one arm to the White Sux of all teams. Kimbrel has to be next. Will Scherzer go to San Diego? Rizzo to the Red Sux makes sense.

Posted : July 29, 2021 5:06 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Anthony Rizzo to the Yanks. God that pisses me off. Why go to the Flubs games? They've thrown in the towel. I was just there. Screw them.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Lee

Posted : July 29, 2021 6:59 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@lee Ha, well, that's just the way the MLB trade deadline goes. If you're in 4th place you start seeing what you can sell. Worked out when the Flubs got Chapman 5 years ago. 11 games back and 9 games out of the WC isn't even that bad with 60 games left.

Brewers pick up Eduardo Escobar which is interesting. Gotta keep getting better as the season winds towards the playoffs.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : July 29, 2021 7:33 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Gallo and Rizzo to the Yanks. Not surprised about Gallo as he has been on the radar but Rizzo is a shocker as I did not see that coming.

Amazingly Cashman got the Rangers and Cubbies to pay both their salaries the rest of the season so it does not impact the Yanks cap situation.

Nice players but I am not convinced it is enough to turn us around but if we can ever get Kluber and Severino back we may have a shot at the Wildcard and then anything can happen.

Looks like Luke Voight is a goner maybe for some bullpen help or some prospects to replenish the farm system they have been strip-mining to make these trades. Too bad as I really like him as a player as he can hit, seemed like a good guy, and had some energy his team lacks at times.

Will be interesting to see what else they do before the deadline tomorrow as I don't think Cash is done.

Posted : July 29, 2021 8:59 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@lee I know it is frustrating but you sound like a real fan so have to support them through the good and bad times.

I went through this with the Yankees from the mid60's until they finally got back to the big dance in 1976. It was so bad in the late 60's that the only player worth rooting for was Joe Pepitone so I concentrated on rooting for players I liked.

Same in the 1980's to the mid 1990's where the team was just plan mediocre. I used to drive to the old Yankee Stadium when they were home on weekends and scalp field boxes for face value back then as the old stadium was about 1/3 full every game.

I get frustrated even now but there are always players I root for like Judge to keep my interest.

Posted : July 29, 2021 9:06 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@porkchopbob 

I dunno about the Flubs trade for Chapman. I've been having this argument with other fans for five years. They gave up Gleyber Torres to rent Chapman for a couple months. I think they still could have won it all without him.

Posted : July 30, 2021 8:42 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @bill_graham

@lee I know it is frustrating but you sound like a real fan so have to support them through the good and bad times.

I went through this with the Yankees from the mid60's until they finally got back to the big dance in 1976. It was so bad in the late 60's that the only player worth rooting for was Joe Pepitone so I concentrated on rooting for players I liked.

Same in the 1980's to the mid 1990's where the team was just plan mediocre. I used to drive to the old Yankee Stadium when they were home on weekends and scalp field boxes for face value back then as the old stadium was about 1/3 full every game.

I get frustrated even now but there are always players I root for like Judge to keep my interest.

Yeah, it is tough watching your team getting rid of everything. Losing Rizzo is tough. He's a great player and also such a great guy to the community. My favorite Flub. I have tickets coming up for games and I don't even know if I want to go.

Regarding the Yanks, pretty sad you had to root for Pepitone. 😉 

The guy I have always felt bad for is Mattingly. A should be HOFer played on terrible teams. And yes, he should be in The Hall.

Back to Rizzo, I thought he would go to Boston but they got Schwarber so the Red Sux still got the left handed bat they wanted. 

We'll see what the Flubs unload today!

Posted : July 30, 2021 8:56 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@lee  So wait [re-checks at avatar], are you a Cubs fan or a Tigers fan? I thought you just followed the Cubs because you live in Chicago. I mean, you can be both, that's fine.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : July 30, 2021 9:28 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@lee well, the Chapman trade worked out that year.

My point is the trade deadline has become a closing-time arms sale for teams looking to ensure they can keep up in October, and teams on the other side of the wild card making sure they get something for their expiring assets. I'm not saying it's good, bad, or necessary for top teams. Just what it's become.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : July 30, 2021 9:34 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @porkchopbob

@lee  So wait [re-checks at avatar], are you a Cubs fan or a Tigers fan? I thought you just followed the Cubs because you live in Chicago. I mean, you can be both, that's fine.

I get asked that all the time. Since I am from Detroit, I am a Tiggers fan. Been to Tiger Stadium probably over 100 times. Went to the last game played there. I have a huge collection of their memorabilia.

I became a Flubs fan in 1984. That was the first year we got cable in Michigan and we could watch WGN. Flubs had a great year, should have gone to the World Series and I have been a fan ever since. It has nothing to do with living in the area. 

Still pissed at them at the moment. You want some tickets in September? 😉 

Posted : July 30, 2021 9:57 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @lee

No thank you, sir.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : July 30, 2021 10:19 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @lee

No thank you, sir.

Come on! You can go see likely a complete minor league team in a major league stadium.

Posted : July 30, 2021 10:38 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@lee You mean Miller Park South? Nah.

Got to give the Yankees credit - they're in 4th place too, just got blasted by the Rays, but are still making moves for the last 60 games. They finally took a few from the Red Sucks so that's somewhat promising.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : July 30, 2021 10:55 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

PCBob, we took 3 of 4 from NY in the most recent series & are 10-3 against them this season - both were trounced last night 

nothing has changed, it’s a critical series this wknd - we usually have a lotta fans in TB - Giants get no rest either w/Houston in town, another fine matchup - Zach Grienke, 37, having a great year (10-3)

guessing Lee will be rooting for Jon Lester, also 37, when he faces Kyle Hendricks (12-4) & his ex-Cubs teammates tmrw nite

Let’s go Sox

This post was modified 3 years ago 3 times by Stephen

Posted : July 30, 2021 11:12 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

PCBob, we took 3 of 4 from NY in the most recent series & are 10-3 against them this season - both were trounced last night 

My point was simply that after losing 7 straight to the Sucks, the Yankees were finally able to win a few the past two series. Doesn't mean anyone is afraid of the Yanks, even with the addition of Gallo and Rizzo, but at least they are making moves.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : July 30, 2021 11:48 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Personally don’t see either deal greatly benefitting NY or LA - Turner will be a reserve once Mookie returns - Mad Max, 37, might help them until Kershaw returns

Rizzo is a good pickup for NY, Gallo is only hitting .223 tho - hopefully Schwarber is a good pickup for Sox

with Carlos Carrasco’s season debut tonite, Mets finally get 1/3rd of their projected Big 3 they hoped would bring them glory - deGrom continues to be sidelined, while Noah Syndegard is out this season

that was one Bust of a deal alright for Mets (the trade for Carrasco & Lindor) - good thing they’re in a lame division

Posted : July 30, 2021 12:25 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Geezuz, Flubs send Craig Kimbrell to the White Sux. I guess given all of he other pieces they've dumped they probably don't need a closer. Hope they got rid of the salary at least. They have another hour to trade the toilets.

Posted : July 30, 2021 2:59 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@lee Baez to Mets! And Oakland will need new toilets in Las Vegas!

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : July 30, 2021 3:01 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@porkchopbob 

You can have the rest of my tickets. In fact, I might pay you to take them and take you out for a couple of Old Styles too. Eff the Flubs. I've never seen anything like this. 

Posted : July 30, 2021 3:09 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@lee bet you got more excited about NFL season today - Kicker and Long Snappers have reported 😉

Next time I am in the neighborhood I will gladly clank some Old Styles with ya.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : July 30, 2021 3:15 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@lee bet you got more excited about NFL season today - Kicker and Long Snappers have reported 😉

Next time I am in the neighborhood I will gladly clank some Old Styles with ya.

Ha Ha, the Lions team MVP will probably be a long snapper. 

If you happen to come from Wisconsin I will need some Spotted Cow. I am down to my last one. 😉 

Posted : July 30, 2021 3:26 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
Page 46 / 64
Share: