15 Users
22 Likes
24.7 K Views
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@wis608

Hey another sour puss hot take from wissixoheight. You must be fun at parties.

Kerr is a pretty great coach. There are lots of teams with great players that don't go far.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 13, 2022 10:02 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Speaking of the Warriors, they did not come out to play against the Bucks last night. Nice win by Milwaukee, 39-point half time lead. Good to see them gaining some momentum as they head into the break. It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 14, 2022 10:09 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@wis608:  porkchopbob responded to you much better than I could have.  If going to the Finals five consecutive years and winning it all three of those years does not impress you then there is nothing I can do for you.  Very rare in ANY sport not to have some kind of drop-off after a run like that.  To say that kind of success was ALL the players is just ludicrous.  After Coach Kerr landed with the team, THEY GAVE BIRTH TO A NEW STYLE OF BASKETBALL.  They truly changed the game.  I ask you:  How could that POSSIBLY happen without a GREAT Coach, and I don't care WHAT players are on the team.  And they have had either the best record or the second best record in the NBA for the entire 2021-2022 season and did so without Klay Thompson who only came back very recently.  

Posted : January 19, 2022 2:02 am
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@robslob Agree. If the Bucks had Kerr and not Budenholzer, I think they'd have won the last 3 finals instead of just last year.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 19, 2022 9:21 am
robslob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well, apparently James Harden and Russell Westbrook are incapable of having teammates. Harden wants out of Brooklyn (who were fine without him last year) and Russ has been an albatross for the Lakers. Sometimes less is more, too many cooks in the front court. Especially when Harden and Russ want to do it all on their own.

Bucks-Suns finals rematch tonight, should be a good one.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : February 10, 2022 10:28 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

And there you have it, Harden to 76ers for Ben Simmons. Both teams dropping some dead weight.

Bucks pick up Serge Ibaka, which is promising. They could use the help at Center

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : February 10, 2022 3:14 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

Sixers get James Harden who has done NOTHING this year to show that he is even a shadow of the player he once was, not to mention a chronic hamstring issue.  The Nets got by far the better end of this deal picking up a 40% 3 point shooter in Seth Curry and two first-rounders.  Simmons may fit in there but who knows.  The egos of both Harden and Simmons know NO bounds IMO.

The Lakers are such an incredible mess that I took a hard look at the Russell Westbrook trade which happened in summer 2021.  Washington got Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Kyle Kuzma, Montrezl Harrell and a first-rounder.  WOW is all I can say.  Caldwell-Pope is a VERY good NBA player at both ends of the floor and he's in his 20's as are Kuzma and Harrell who are both contributors.  In the 2020 championship season Caldwell-Pope started all 21 playoff games, averaged 10.7 points in 29 minutes, and shot 37.5% from 3.  Westbrook?  I'm a huge fan of his but let's face it he's 33, has a lot of mileage on his bod, his best years have come and gone, and he must be the centerpiece of any offense he is a part of.  I'd like to know where Rob Pelinka (Lakers VP of operations) is getting his crack to have made this deal.  The Lakers are by FAR the oldest team in the NBA (it's not even close) and somebody needs to tell Pelinka that is NOT a recipe for an NBA title no matter how many future Hall Of Famers you put on the floor.  Pelinka could teach How To Destroy An NBA Franchise 101.  They are going NOWHERE.  I wonder if LeBron can sleep at night in the middle of this mess.  Pelinka also dumped point guard Alex Caruso who is another young guy who was a big time contributor to that Lakers championship team of only two years ago.  Is the Mob paying Pelinka to destroy this team?

This post was modified 2 years ago 3 times by robslob

Posted : February 11, 2022 10:28 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

To the greatest of the greats - happy birthday Bill Russell - 88 today - 13 year career, 11 titles - it'll never be topped - the ballclub is going good (W7) - Russ would probably applaud Daniel Theis' return

Posted : February 12, 2022 12:17 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Pacers  never make any really big moves during the deadline. See below. Maybe one player or sit tight. This year GM Pritchard I think is looking to start over and rebuild young.  The landscape of the NBA has changed so much over the years.  Indiana and some other markets can be a tough sell to the elite to come here and if you do land a young rising star, they are looking to leave when contract is up. Then you have certain franchises recruiting and teaming up. Whether that works or not all the time is questionable.

I hated losing Sabonis.

I enjoy basketball quite a bit, but the pro game over the years is starting to lose me.  I  enjoy more of the college and high school ball. My niece is playing in the semi state class 3A this weekend . You want to watch some fundamentally sound bb, watch these young talented ladies. It has been so much fun following them this 21-22 season.

https://www.nba.com/pacers/news/pritchard-pacers-set-sail-new-direction

In his first four years in his current role, Pritchard had traded exactly one player during the season — Victor Oladipo in Jan. 2020. But in a major change in philosophy, he dealt away five players at this year's deadline, including Indiana's two leading scorers (Domantas Sabonis and Caris LeVert), a third starter (Justin Holiday), and two veteran bench contributors (Torrey Craig and Jeremy Lamb).

The moves were all about adding young assets. Trading LeVert to Cleveland netted a 2022 first-round pick and two second-round selections (as well as Ricky Rubio's expiring contract). Dealing Torrey Craig to Phoenix brought in Jalen Smith, the 10th overall pick in the 2020 NBA Draft, and another second-round pick. And shipping Sabonis, Holiday, and Lamb to Sacramento netted Tyrese Haliburton, a 21-year-old rising star, as well as capable veteran contributors Buddy Hield and Tristan Thompson.

The decision to steer in a new direction wasn't made on a whim. It came after lots of honest and frank conversations between the front office, the coaching staff, and team owner Herb Simon. As the Pacers struggled to stay healthy and pick up wins, spending virtually the entire season in 13th place in the Eastern Conference and well out of the playoff picture, the path forward became clear.

This post was modified 2 years ago by jszfunk

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : February 14, 2022 8:40 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

Clippers 119 Warriors 104.  Warriors held on to beat the Lakers Saturday night but dropped their previous two so now have lost 3 out of 4 games.  

It was evident last night vs. L.A. that on the defensive end the Warriors REALLY miss Draymond Green.  With him in the lineup they can get by without a huge center clogging up the middle.  Last night I was mystified as I watched the Clippers continually drive the lane with no resistance whatsoever.  Really unprecedented for this Warriors team.  And normally I wouldn't say this but last night at least Kevin Looney just wasn't cutting it.  

Heal quickly Draymond!  It's a cliche to say his contributions don't show up in the box score, but it's NEVER been more true with regards to Draymond.  They are expecting young 7'0" center James Wiseman back soon as well, he's missed the entire season (torn meniscus).  He's shown huge promise but is still very inexperienced even at the college level.

I am really AMAZED at how good the Clippers are with both Kawhi Leonard and Paul George out of the lineup.  They say George could be back by playoff time but Leonard is out for the year.  TY LUE BETTER GET SOME CONSIDERATION AS COACH OF THE YEAR.  He has got these guys fired up and believing in themselves even with two superstars sidelined.  I don't think anyone would want to draw them in the first round.  Terance Mann had 25 for the Clips.

This post was modified 2 years ago by robslob

Posted : February 15, 2022 10:08 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Happy Birthday, Phil Esposito

Yeah he's 80 today - but

76-76-152 -

those are the numbers his fans recall - that was his 1970-71 season - the peak of the 'Big Bad Bruins'

there was never a greater goal scorer - ever - his numbers looked like typographical errors back in the day - he could have two defenders hanging all over him in the slot, didn't stop him - Phil is a Boston hero

________

RIP Emile "The Cat" Francis - probably the greatest NYR of them all - goalie, coach, GM - he was coach when Broonz & Rangiz was the biggest rivalry in hockey late 1960s-early 1970s

Posted : February 20, 2022 3:45 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Who will work out better, Embiid, Harden & Phila, or Kyrie, Simmons KD & Brkln

It's all a chemistry test - who knows - imo comes back to what wis608 mentioned about managing/assuaging  egos/personalities - it's on players & coaches both

Let's Go Celts, get back soon Marcus Smart - Marcus is our Draymond Green - Green, Kawhi, Paul George, John Wall, Harden, Durant, Zion - lotta people sitting out this year or not playing for one reason or another

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : February 20, 2022 3:49 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Posted by: @stephen

Yeah they're the top two teams

but look who's right there w/GSW & Phx

before you can say Bryant "Big Country" Reeves - Zach Randolph & the Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies - right there too

They visit tmrw - Jayl out w/sprain - they're about to pass GSW for 2nd overall - but not on our acc't tmrw nite - this game will tell plenty - Ja Morant is top player in league this year (he & DeMar DeRozan)

Kyrie & KD visit Sunday (KD to return tmrw is the rumor) - they'll be the same as Harden-Embiid, & what Kawhi & Paul George were - doing most of the scoring - Kawhi & John Ringo haven't played this year - Ben Simmons unlikely to be a key factor imo - not this season anyway

even w/Klay back GS struggling - no Draymond Green hurts, & we'll see the same thing in Phx now that Chris Paul is out rest of reg season -

those guys do what Marcus Smart does for us - when they're going good, the other 4 become better>team, a well-oiled machine -

there was an On This Day note in the paper not long ago recalling Draymond's triple double w/2 points - that is top-shelf basketball playing

let's go Celts, pick it up for Jayl

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : March 2, 2022 5:03 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

looking more & more like a Denver-Miami final

Jamal Murray likely to return for Nuggets, same Michael Porter Jr. - forgotten man Victor Oladipo making season debut for Heat, Kyle Lowery also returning - both teams are deep - plus Miami still has Udonis Haslem😮

there can be no more MVP debate - it's Nikola Jocic, hands down - he's in Wilt territory, going better than Giannis or Embiid

Draymond Green and Andre Iguodala will both be back when they visit next week - GSW mailed it in to Denver last night - they & da Bulls are L5, Brkln L4 - still no Simmons

Popovich ties Nellie for most regular season wins

We're going good - we can catch Phila - yeah they got Harden & Embiid, But We Got The Green Unis, Let's Go Celts

This post was modified 2 years ago by Stephen

Posted : March 8, 2022 2:35 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

Phoenix 140 L.A. Lakers 111.  Can the Lakers get any worse?  And before you mention Anthony Davis being out, well, Chris Paul is still out.  Phoenix had 48 points IN THE FIRST QUARTER.  The game was already over.  Phoenix basically ran them right out of the gym.  With 5:00 minutes left in the first half LeBron asked to be taken out of the game he was so gassed.  He returned a few minutes later.

Posted : March 14, 2022 9:12 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Tom Brady unretired

Gotta feeling Tuukka will too

W/no pressure of having to get back as quickly as possible, his body will now be able to heal up at its own pace, & once he's back to feeling 100% again - probly this summer sometime - the urge to compete again will return, he'll do what old teammate David Krejci did and sign up to play for his national team in Finland - he's only 35, no one wants to see him hang up his gear just yet

I do think however that this will be Zdeno Chara's and Joe Thornton's last years. Neither of these 40 something greats have played a lot - Joe is certainly enjoying it in Fla, he feels this team is as good as any he's played on - he's been around awhile too -

NYI visits Saturday (March 26), Fla on April 26 - if right is right, Z & Thornton should get big time standing o's, especially Zdeno

Posted : March 24, 2022 7:22 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

The #s don't lie - at 28-7 we have the best second-half record in the East Conf

but there's more

we're not just playing well - we're anNIAlating people - several of these games have been decided at halftime - we haven't had this extended a hot streak in years - not since 2007-08 (maybe 08-09) when we started out 27-3 & Rajon Rondo & Avery Bradley were wheeling & dealing at a level that reminded older fans of Bob Cousy & Bill Sharman

so, in addition to Den & Miami it could just as easily be the Celts & Jazz, or Memphis, in the finals -  Ja Morant out 2 weeks w/bad knee, not good for them

...whose big 2 will prove more effective, Phila's or Brklyn's - Kyrie has been restored to full-time status

GSW & LAL can't be ruled out, too much veteran experience & they both have returning players - Phx is the best team this season, regardless of playoffs - Chris Paul recovered fast, a refreshing departure

OMGosh are we ever killin it, WOW!!!!! It's all green

Posted : March 24, 2022 7:38 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

They've been a thorn in our side since back in the day-&-B4

nothing has changed

Leafs & Rangiz - that's the race to watch now - Deadlocked (41-19-5) w/Leafs - Rangiz, 42-19-5 -

Leafs are in tmrw nite, nuf said, we see they and NYR in last week of regular season - all 3 teams, top 6 overall, having Big Time seasons 

If We Can Outscore These Two Ancient Foes In Reg Season, That Is Large - without 2 of our greats this year, David Krecji & Tuukka Rask, the boys have played great - winning this sub-race would be EPIC in its accomplishment/implications etc .....

the honorary patches on their uniforms in memory of Emile Francis seem to have infused/imbued NYR w/the Cat's fiery instructions, piss & vinegar - they're really going, & same Leafs - again, 2 rivals that predate WW II 

I hate em both 🤣 😲 

Let's go Broonz 

This post was modified 2 years ago by Stephen

Posted : March 28, 2022 11:41 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Many teams skidding into last 2 weeks, LAL, GSW, Bklyn, da Bulls, Jazz....

trading Joe Ingles had to catch up w/Jazz - that was bad coming out of the blue like that to a veteran guy & the Jazz player of tenure - regular in the rotation, 25 min or so, started sometime, did everything

and yet - one can't help but envision a Jazz-Celts final

Danny Ainge is w/the Jazz now in some front-office capacity, unsure what

who would Danny root for, haha - after all, this Celtics team is mostly his

Playoffs are now, that is for sure - let's go Celts, 7 games left, Tor & Miami next, Crucial -

a good MN team wasn't even in the building last night, WOW!! This is kind of a Dave Cowens/Paul Pierce game we're on right now

Posted : March 28, 2022 11:53 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

No big surprises in the first round, except the fits New Orleans is giving the Booker-less Suns. Hate to see Phoenix get knocked out early with their big gun down, but maybe it will get them going like the Bucks have done without Middleton.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : April 25, 2022 10:02 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Probly am reading the box scores wrong, but when I look at GSWs it looks to me like they're bringing Stephen Curry in off the bench & not starting him - if so, that would be a big surprise to me

Let's go Celts, no one guessed a four-game sweep, it's not done yet

Posted : April 25, 2022 8:56 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yes they're the defending champions - also, the addition of Brook Lopez gives them a very tough frontcourt

But I think we can beat them

As always in the playoffs, whose roster is most intact, will be a big determinant

Let's go Celts

Posted : April 27, 2022 9:07 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @stephen

Yes they're the defending champions - also, the addition of Brook Lopez gives them a very tough frontcourt

Lopez was there last year too. No Middleton will be tough for Milwaukee, but it should be a good series.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : April 28, 2022 8:37 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Leafs & Rangiz - that's the race to watch now - Deadlocked (41-19-5) w/Leafs - Rangiz, 42-19-5 -

If We Can Outscore These Two Ancient Foes In Reg Season, That Is Large - without 2 of our greats this year, David Krecji & Tuukka Rask, the boys have played great - winning this sub-race would be EPIC

It didn't happen - we had an L3, Tor & NY kept winning - that’s all it took -

But we're six of our last seven - four of those wins have been against Pitts, St.L, NY & Fla - all ahead of us in the standings

One of those L3s was a 6-4 loss to Leafs, on our sheet, that was worse than the final score

We wrap up with them tmrw, & this is a playoff game for Broonz - this is simply a must win - Carolina will be even tougher for us than Tor, & We Have To Go Into That Series w/a W5

The #s don't lie - three games, two shutout losses, combined score of 16-1 against them this season - they handed us our worst loss this season, 7-1 - this stuff can't be ignored

Little chance however, imo, it'll continue that way next week but we shall see - they don't have 116 points for nothing

Broonz have played great this year, ending season w/payback on Leafs and a W5 would be no surprise to their fans.

Posted : April 28, 2022 10:10 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

Milwaukee - Boston should be a CLASSIC but I gotta go with Celts just because their defense is SO dominant right now, then add in Middleton being out for Bucks.  I was really amazed at how the Celts completely corralled Kevin Durant during that first round series.

My Warriors looking really tough.  Just SO much offensive firepower.  Hell, Andrew Wiggins was an All-Star this year but with Curry, Thompson and Poole all going off it's hard for Wiggins to even touch the ball right now.  And Curry is ALL the way back from his injury, he showed that vs. Denver big time.  Thompson showing flashes of his former greatness as well.  Our Achilles heel of course is that we just do NOT have any kind of inside presence right now and the teams with a lot of muscle up front are going to expoit that.  If Memphis can finish off Minnesota, Memphis - Warriors should be a VERY competitive series and a LOT of fun to watch.  Ja Morant is ALWAYS fun to watch!

I've watched a lot of the Celtics and I would have to pick them to go all the way right now.  They are the best defensive team I have seen in a long, long time and you know what your Grandpa said:  Defense wins championships.  Their new Coach is up to SOMETHING...........hell I can't even say his name.  

Posted : April 29, 2022 5:30 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@robslob If I had to bet, I'd take the Celtics too. They're peaking.

Both Milwaukee and Boston had easy series, but the Bucks really rely heavy on Middleton in the 4th quarter. Without him they need their 3 pt shooters to be on fire, and that's not realistic. Maybe Middleton can play the part of Willis Reed 😉

As the man says, that's why they play the games...

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : April 29, 2022 8:37 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

Wow the Bucks showed they are Champs for a REASON yesterday.  Looking tough.  Can't remember seeing the Celtics in that much disarray the entire second half of the season.  

Warriors - Grizzlies is looking like a classic if the rest of the series is ANYTHING like yesterday.  Glad here that Draymond got kicked out despite the fact that I'm a huge Warriors fan.  You can't slap someone hard in the face and then proceed to grab their jersey and pull them to the ground.  And the announcers were saying they shouldn't have kicked him out because this is the playoffs and the Warriors need him?  What a crock of BS!!

Posted : May 2, 2022 6:58 am
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Nice to see the Bucks come out swinging, on the road no less. They had the crowd leaving their seats with 3:00 minutes to go. Hope they can keep that up.

The Warriors-Grizzlies game reminded me a little of the GS-Dallas 2007 series - back-and-forth up-tempo balling. The Grizzlies are not a team I pay much attention to - I forget they left Vancouver over 20 years ago - but Morant is a player for the ages. Totally agree, it's going to be a fun series.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 2, 2022 10:23 am
robslob reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Love it that the Celts have a #24 patch on their uniform - Sam Jones Was The Man - awesome to see that acknowledged - they're feeling Sam's mojo & greatness so far tonight 

what is so different tonight, without Marcus, from the first game - crazy

Lets go Celts

Posted : May 3, 2022 7:26 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Celtics flipped the script on the Bucks, nothing you can do when a team is hitting 3's like that. Doubt they can sustain that, Bucks nearly clawed their way back into it in the 2nd half. At least we got one on the road.

I started watching the first quarter of the Memphis-GS game and it was MESSY. Losing Payton like that sucks. Morant is going to single-handedly run away with it if GS isn't careful.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 4, 2022 8:42 am
Page 10 / 12
Share: