NBA 2022

332 Posts
15 Users
22 Likes
24.8 K Views
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

I am COMPLETELY in awe of Ja Morant's performance last night.  He completely took over the game in the last 5 minutes and finished with 47.  Just unstoppable driving to the hoop and knocked in some three's as well.  It seemed the Warriors knew what was coming but were completely helpless to stop him.  Grizzlies' game plan at the end:   "Jump on Ja's back!!"

Oh well, by the skin of their teeth in game 1, the Warriors accomplished what you're supposed to accomplish against a very good team like Memphis:  Split on the road.  I could not for the life of me miss one minute of this series!!  Saturday cannot get here soon enough for me.

Oh let me add:  Dylan Brooks' flagrant II on Gary Payton II Monday night was the most dangerous foul I've seen in a long, long time.  Complete disregard for Payton's safety.  This just in:  Payton has a fractured elbow.

v

This post was modified 2 years ago by robslob

Posted : May 4, 2022 10:50 am
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hell of a win by the Bucks last night. I was starting to worry they wouldn't overcome the loss of Middleton since he's typically been their closer. But Jrue stepped up, out-defended the DPOY in a pretty epic comeback. Giannis even nailed a 3. Win or lose, it's been a great series so far.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 12, 2022 8:54 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

The Chief

Happy birthday Johnny Bucyk - watta guy - from Shore and Schmidt to Bucyk, Bourque & Bergeron - I mean these names have almost always been on the B's roster since their 1928 inception

but it doesn't matter now

he'll be in the house tonight - of course Johnny was the longtime radio guy too - but for sure, best known as a player - up there in most of the team & league career stats -

the boys will be ready to burn the house down for the Chief tonight - all he & everyone else want to see is the 7th game - let's go Broonz

Posted : May 12, 2022 10:17 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Indeed it has been PorkchopBob - less the coughup last night - that's a toughie - we had the game, but Mil is great and has played well w/out Mdltn, jus as we have w/out RW III

RIP Bob Lanier - a Very Good center w/Pistons & Bucks - greats like Randy Breuer & Paul Mokeski backed him up in Mil

They & their crowd will be ready to burn if they have a videotron tribute to Lanier tmrw nite

but so will we -

can't say I envision a 7th game in Boston, not after last night, that one is lingering - but as you say, win or lose, a great series & let's go Celts

Posted : May 12, 2022 10:28 am
PorkchopBob reacted
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

I think everyone thought the Grizzlies -  Warriors series was over.............until last night's complete disaster for the Warriors.  A 39 point loss and at one point Golden State actually trailed by 55 points.  And to think, Ja Morant didn't even play.

Warriors were out-hustled, out-rebounded, out-shot...........just out-played in EVERY facet of the game.  And the turnovers were just ridiculous and embarrassing.  Memphis Coach Taylor Jenkins exposed GS by playing two 7 footers together, Steven Adams and Jaren Jackson.  GS just does not have anyone to contend with that.  And speaking of Jaren Jackson..........this 22 year old has it goin' ON!!  And I mean at BOTH ends of the court.  Led the NBA in blocked shots this year.

Warriors better wrap it Friday night in San Francisco.  After last night, the thought of a game 7 in Memphis is downright scary.  In fact, after last night, the thought of ANY Grizzlies game is scary!

Posted : May 12, 2022 11:23 am
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@robslob I didn't watch the game, but caught the highlights today. 77 first half points? Pretty nuts.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 12, 2022 11:50 am
robslob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Wow, James Harden. Has there ever been a player that has a worse talent:albatross ratio than him? Even if he wasn't playing for his team's season, he should have at least been playing for his next contract. Bizarre. I wouldn't want him on my team's roster.

Meanwhile, this is kind of funny. I like Jason Tatum, but it's kind of funny seeing him repeatedly and purposefully land on his butt.

https://twitter.com/nathanmarzion/status/1524863738616201219?s=20&t=HHH29Mb5KKffu0ptWJhPqA

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 13, 2022 3:53 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob:  Harden 0-2 in the second half of an elimination game?  Question is, why didn't Doc Rivers do something to address this?  I'd be really surprised if Rivers is coaching Philly next year.  But I thought it was a mistake when they hired him.  Maybe the most overrated Coach ever despite his massive history.  I'd also be really surprised if they keep Harden around.

Both game 7's on Sunday are massive, Milwaukee-Boston and Dallas-Phoenix.  SOOO glad my Warriors don't have to go back to Memphis!

Posted : May 14, 2022 8:45 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@robslob Sounds like Embiid doesn't want Harden around either. After over a decade in the league, I can't imagine a GM that wants to win throwing money at him.

I don't like Milwaukee on the road in Game 7, I was really hoping they could close out at home. The Bucks aren't a 3-pt team, so when the C's get hot from outside it's tough to keep up without Middleton as a scoring option down the stretch. Last night Tatum had the hot hand.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 14, 2022 9:26 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well, not surprised the Bucks couldn't get it done on the road. Seemed to run out of miracles. I'm more surprised they took the C's 7 games without Middleton. If they had him healthy they probably would have won the series. But if a chicken had lips it could whistle.

Glad I didn't duck out of the Brewers game I was at to watch it. After the Brewers game, a bar at Marlins stadium kept the game and the taps on so a few of us could catch the bitter end (a few curious Miami fans stuck around to see who they'd be facing as well).

Fun series, Bucks are definitely a team that I won't easily count out of a game. I'm just glad they're competitive again. After George Karl dismantled the stellar 2001 squad, they'd been the face of mediocrity. Never doing really well, never fully bottoming out for a lottery pick. I'd started to refer to the 8th seed as the Bucksth seed. Gifting key players to championship squads along the way (Bogut, Stephen Jackson, Ray Allen). Look forward to next season, it's a fun team to watch.

Meanwhile, who would have guessed the Suns would set so early in the postseason? Hats off to Doncic, the Mavs made Booker and Paul disappear. GS-Dallas rematch should be a good one. Another Dallas-Miami finals rematch is a real possibility.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 16, 2022 9:11 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob:  Pretty in awe of Doncic right here.  I think he has to be in a class with Jokic right now for best two players in the league.  That was simply a dominating performance by Doncic yesterday vs Phoenix but he certainly had help, Dinwiddie had 30 and Brunson 24.  If Doncic gets help from his supporting cast like he did yesterday, Mavs - Warriors will be mighty fun to watch for sure!  Could go 7.  My prediction?  Warriors in 6.

Posted : May 16, 2022 9:27 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

Anyone who's read my posts here on Whipping Post knows I'm a huge Warriors fan.  But I've never seen a basketball player get away with more from the referees than Draymond Green did last night in the second game of the Dallas series.  I have to wonder what Jason Kidd is thinking, but hell, I KNOW what he's thinking:  ANY of his guys who argued calls as much as Draymond did last night would have never made it through the first half without getting thrown.  HUGE double standard going on here.  It's just not right.

The announcers are right there at courtside and they hear a lot of stuff.  One of them said at one point, "Steve Kerr just told Draymond, 'JUST PLAY!!' ".  

That said, the Warriors are 2-0 in this series because they are not settling for the three point shot.  They have an inside game.  If Dallas is not hitting three's they are in big trouble.  But it's not over yet, by far.  Dallas was down 2-0 vs. Phoenix before they took out the team with the best record in the league this year.  Jason Kidd will make some adjustments, I'm sure.

Posted : May 21, 2022 6:17 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Posted by: @stephen

Phx is the best team this season, regardless of playoffs 

Still feel that way, even w/Suns mailing in Gm 7 on their home floor, 123-90 - they still proved it wire to wire over the long haul - watta f-up that 7th game was tho

same thing on the sheet - Fla league-tops 122 points, & Swept in the battle of Flori-da - now it's Edmntn-Calg & the battle of Cana-da

....& 2 outta 3 on the court - strange stat, We Have Burned Stuff Down In The Last 2 Games Marcus Has Sat Out.....

it could all be moot

GSW

they're intact, have great younger players now & in their return to SF, are looking like the same powerhouse of their Oakland teams of a few years ago -

not to mention the first San Francisco Warriors - they had Wilt, Al Attles & other greats - we beat them in 5 games in the 1964 finals

now they're back in town, reminding their fans on both sides of the bay how great they were & looking like the favorites just like the old days

let's go Celts, the April 29 posts said it well, all the teams are really even - all 4 semifinalists have dinged up players - let's go Celts

Posted : May 24, 2022 10:39 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@stephen:  With your tremendous win in Miami last night, it's looking like Celtics - Warriors.  Can't wait to go head to head with you, my Man!  And what a great matchup this will be!!

Posted : May 26, 2022 1:24 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Miami looked awful last night. Bodies flying all over the place, and not even flops. They just looked tired. When you have 3-point shoot-outs like GS and Dallas the other night, it's a lot of fun. But when the 3 isn't dropping you can get some ugly, lazy basketball.

Warriors-Celtics should be a solid series.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 26, 2022 3:06 pm
robslob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I'll give Miami credit, they didn't go as quietly as I thought they would. 4-points away from the finals, after a 3 is taken off the board, is a heart-breaker. Just seemed like Butler and Adebayo couldn't do it alone.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 31, 2022 9:31 am
robslob reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Posted by: @robslob

@stephen:  With your tremendous win in Miami last night, it's looking like Celtics - Warriors.  Can't wait to go head to head with you, my Man!  And what a great matchup this will be!!

Absolutely bro - the 2 top def teams - started season slow, then your guys returned to full health - starting in Jan we dialed in our inner Bill Russell - both going good, rest should help both - gotta give it to Warriyz depth-wise w/GP II & OP Jr returning - but yep a hoop fan's dream, GREAT matchups all over the floor!! :hoops:

like your guys we don't have a big 3 - Jays, Jayl, Marcus & Big Al are so good they don't remind older fans of previous teams - same GSW, Kerr & Klay, Curry & Dray - the nucleus, the core, yes, but these ballplayers want the ball in their teammates' hands as much as their own, that's why they're in the finals

watta blast, let's go Celts - like Warriyz, watta team

we simply can't blow leads like we did on Sunday tho - 98-85 w/about 3:30 left

if Jimmy's 3 had hit, well....

we were awesome otherwise in that game - same Jimmy Butler, tremendous series for him

whose roster is most intact, and who is hottest from beyond the arc, will be the keys starting Thurs imho

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : May 31, 2022 10:27 am
robslob reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

My wife loves Jimmy Butler.  Like literally.

Boston vs Golden State is a terrific match up.

Posted : June 1, 2022 10:47 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

Does anyone collect 1983-86 Star Company basketball cards?  I've been picking them up lately.

Posted : June 1, 2022 10:48 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

Well Mr. Stephen........after last night this is certainly looking like one HELL of a series!!  I doubt you could pick two more evenly matched teams.  Looks like a 7 gamer to me.  Your men did their job and took one on the road.  That said, WHAT in hell happened to Al Horford and Marcus Smart last night?  Two points each?  HUH??

Posted : June 6, 2022 8:35 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

the business side of pro sports is as bad as in music or anywhere

this imo is just plain wrong & incompetent tho, the Bruins firing Cassidy

Coaching Was An Area They Didn't Have To Worry About For God's Sake, it was in the best of hands - now the BS quotes about how "we left something on the ice against Carolina" and "we need a new voice"

Totally disappointed in Bob Sweeney on this one, he's just created more work for himself & put the club at a disadvantage trying to find a new coach they'll have to break in & get familiar with

YOU ROCK COACH CASS - 245-108-46 man - this is so bogus

Posted : June 8, 2022 10:24 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Well Mr. Stephen........after last night this is certainly looking like one HELL of a series!!  I doubt you could pick two more evenly matched teams.  Looks like a 7 gamer to me.  Your men did their job and took one on the road.  That said, WHAT in hell happened to Al Horford and Marcus Smart last night?  Two points each?  HUH??

for sure robslob - Al, Marcus, RW III & Grant Williams, four frontline players - a combined 5 of 13 for 12 points - indeed, wtf????

just when I'd posted that Jays Jayl et al want the ball in their teammates' hands as much as their own.....what an expert call there bro,😖haha - 

now it's 3 of 5, crazy, we lit up 4th qtr 1st game, Warriors 3rd qtr 2nd game - hopefully no blowouts with a ton of garbage time, these teams are too even & too good for that - one or more game will go to OT

thought it was 2-3-2 now too, but it isn't - we just gotta make sure this thing stays tied, at least, returning west - home court doesn't mean much in these playoffs...

just love the Celts making the finals, esp vs a Warriyz team w/their 2016-19 title winners intact - watta blast

This post was modified 2 years ago by Stephen

Posted : June 8, 2022 10:44 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@stephen:  Your guys really jumped us last night.  We better get our sh*t together SOON or this will be a 5 game series.  Your defense is outrageous and your size is KILLING us inside.  My view is we need to play Jonathan Kuminga tomorrow night for his explosiveness in the paint.  We better do something and do it tomorrow or this thing is over........

Remember I predicted both here and to my friends that Celts would go all the way even though I'm a big Warriors fan.  Hope I'm wrong.

Posted : June 9, 2022 2:54 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

Curry Flurry/Curry Flurry/Curry Flurry

IMO this thing will go 7 games.  I still think Boston is the favorite though despite two of last three games being in San Francisco.

Posted : June 11, 2022 10:48 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Remember I predicted both here and to my friends that Celts would go all the way even though I'm a big Warriors fan.  Hope I'm wrong.

Saw that rob & am very impressed - posted early on too, April 29 & at that time, even tho Celts were really hittin it & lookin less & less like a flash in the pan... I wouldn'ta made that pick at that time - staying w/your head not heart when 1 team is yours 'all the way' so to speak...mad ups b

now it's 2 of 3 & still the same thing - man I'd rather throw darts into a fog than make a pick - the unfolding/evolving of it all, it won't get more bomb as far as top-shelf hoops - we haven't gone too hog-wild on the 3s, which I like - Jays has missed some conventional js tho 

Stephen Curry, just sensational last game - yet in some ways (trying to be objective)....we didn't get it done at some points in the 2nd half

in short I hope you're wrong too bro, haha - very cool, & Warriyz ... when they benched Dray, that's when they went on that 4th-qtr run - a real athletic bunch w/Poole & Looney & Wiggins -

let it be (Celtics) green - your Warriyz team, awesome - couldn't be a more epic finals matchup 

Posted : June 13, 2022 10:31 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

SO glad my Warriors proved my prediction wrong.  And SO glad we never got to a game 7.  I was really concerned after the game started out 14-2 Celtics.  But the BLITZ the Warriors went on after that was unbelievable.  Run Run Run.......as the announcers said, Warriors did NOT want to face the Celtics half court defense and they largely stayed away from doing that.  6 Championship appearances in 8 years, and 4 titles..........that is a historic run.  

Kudos to your Celtics, Stephen.  They have a GREAT ballclub.  Look who they beat to get to The Finals:  Brooklyn, defending champ Milwaukee and Miami.  That's an incredible run.  The way they shut down Kevin Durant in the first round was just amazing to me.

Added bonus for me:  I grew up in L.A. a Lakers fan and while the Warriors are my #1 I still have some loyalties in L.A.  The Warriors just prevented Boston from passing The Lakers for most Championships.  Lakers and Celtics are tied with 17 each.  

Posted : June 17, 2022 8:09 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Pretty great series, Celtics were no slouches. Also, a bit of revenge for the 1964 NBA Finals. Celtics even made a game of it with a mini-comeback. This is probably the most impressive of GS's championships of late considering the injury hole they had to climb out of (even if they weren't facing any legendary HOFers this time). I'm sure Wiggins is the happiest of anyone - from bottom-feeder to champ.

Great season all around, fun playoffs. This is why you don't punch the front-runner's ticket - Phoenix ran out of gas, Milwaukee lost its closer, and Miami needs more than Jimmy Butler.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : June 17, 2022 9:34 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

Jayson Tatum had two points in the second half and finished with 13.  One ESPN commentator said he looked tired and I agree with that.  Tatum played easily the most minutes of any player in the entire playoffs.  The Celtics have a great one-two punch in Tatum and Jalen Brown but if they are going to go all the way IMO they are going to need some reliable secondary scorers.  Marcus Smart is hit or miss, Al Horford is hit or miss, so is Grant Williams.  I mean, look at the scorers the Warriors have after Curry and Thompson:  Andrew Wiggins and Jordan Poole.  That's a serious arsenal!  And it made the difference in this series.  Curry was off his game in game 5 and had 16.  So what?  Wiggins came up big that night with 26.  

I'm not sure though that it's a level playing field.  Warriors owners Joe Lacob and Peter Guber have cash coming out of their assh*les.  Andrew Wiggins is the fourth "option" after the triumvirate of Curry/Thompson/Green and Wiggins is making $30 million a year.  How many teams can afford to pay their fourth option $30 million?  Not too many.  Not only that, Wiggins is now in a contract year.  IMO Lacob and Guber will fork up whatever it takes to keep him.

Posted : June 17, 2022 10:58 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

The Warriors were too good - Celts ran outta gas late in all the games - it's real impressive GSW winning it after their key players missed so much time - stoked for ya robslob - yep a butt kicking is a butt kicking - Celts still played some killer basketball this year

I just hope that the BS school of thought of - "we were up 2-1 - our defense was much better than their - no excuse for losing this series, & we're gonna blow up the roster to get to the bottom of it......."etc & so on - doesn't prevail

Cassidy's firing from Bruins still rankles big time - feel certain Brad Stevens isn't the type to panic the way Bob Sweeney did -

nope there's no bellyaching from C's fans, GSW won fair & square

No messing w/the roster please - have a good summer hoops fans!

Posted : June 17, 2022 3:46 pm
robslob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Now Durant is asking for a trade. So that was fun. What front-runner will he request? Meanwhile the Nets are left with Kyrie and Ben Simmons. Even more dysfunction than they started with.

I like Durant, those OKC teams were fun to watch, but what a frustrating career. Tags along with the Warriors, then tries to make another super team in Brooklyn. He's too good.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : July 1, 2022 9:50 am
Page 11 / 12
Share: