The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

College Football 2021

Page 8 / 9
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
World Class Peach

Martinez done for the final game, redshirt freshman to start Friday. Points went from Iowa -4 about 10 days ago to Huskers by 3 1/2 on Sunday to Iowa -1 1/2 after the injury news. Under may be a good play here.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." Dean Wormer

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2021 11:53 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Always a fun weekend to end the season.  Hope you all enjoy the action!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 26, 2021 11:39 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @nebish

Always a fun weekend to end the season.  Hope you all enjoy the action!

Same for you Neb! Taking the under on IA/NE today and leaning toward Michigan + the points tomorrow. You?

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 26, 2021 11:45 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Have to feel Nebraska is cursed really.  Crazy.

I got skunked on MLs yesterday (EMich, UTEP - led by 3 at HT then didn't even cover!).  USF was really really really deflating, I mean they had it right there in front of them.  7:1 odds.  That ending.  And UNC ML is enough to make one want to give up betting, leading by 9 with 2-1/2 minutes left and lose!  I had to bust ass on Wazzou and UNC ATS just to make $75 yesterday.  Could've been so much better.

Today is strange, I'm struggling to find much I like.  The one I feel best about is probably Cal.  Sorry Strat.

Cal is a perfect 4-0 ATS as a dog this year (including 3-0 ATS road dogs)(TCU, Wash, Ore, OreSt). They pulled one upset as a tiny home dog vs Oregon State. Cal is playing it's best football of the season if you take out the covid game at Arizona where they were without several players and coaches including Garbers. Taking Arizona out of the equation, Cal has won 3 straight games and their last loss when the team was full strength they were inside the 5 at Autzen threatening to tie when the game ended. The Cal D has improved as the year went on. It is true that some of their recent games which include PAC12 weak Os in Stanford and Colorado helps make the D look better (UCLA just padded some stats vs CU as well). It was a Cal D that had to shuffle early in the season due to injuries, Cal has 4 new starters now on D as the season has progressed and younger players emerged (like Fr CB Lu-Magia Hearns 4 pbus last week)(like Fr LB Rutchena 11 tkls last week).

The Cal O and D should both be ready to produce in a big game like this. And it is a big game, a rivalry. Both teams are also off huge rivalry games that matter a lot to the programs. UCLA won at USC 62-33, the most points the Bruins have ever scored on USC! But UCLA is just 1-6 when playing the week after facing USC, the one win was vs Cal on a last second FG. Cal won at Stanford 41-11 and racked up a series high 636 yards of O. That too is a huge rivalry game. Where the Bruins have struggled post USC, Cal has done well. Cal has won 5 of it's last 7 games straight up when they play the week after Stanford to close the season. The two losses were that one UCLA game in 2017 by 3 (+7) and a 2014 game vs BYU. Among the 5 wins for Cal includes 2 vs UCLA in 2016 and 2018, both upset wins as dogs.

So history says that Cal handles playing the week after a big rivalry game better than UCLA does.

Recent history also says UCLA is a bad favorite. Bruins are on a 2 game win streak, but have been upset 3x this season as favs (Fresno, ASU, Ore). UCLA has 7 wins and has secured bowl eligibility where as Cal is still fighting to get to 6. They need to beat UCLA and beat USC in the rescheduled game next week. There is a lot of talk about making a bowl among players and coaches on Cal with the way the season started and the way last year went, it sounds like a big goal of theirs.

Adding to the motivating factors for Cal is their game last year in the mess that was PAC12 covid 2020 football, in a hastily scheduled season opening game, UCLA blew out an unprepared Cal team that were down players and their DL had not had contact practices leading up to the game! That was the last time Cal was in the Rose Bowl, where they will be again Saturday night. They will look to atone for that performance.

I think the emotions of last week both can lead to potential let downs here, but I'd argue that UCLA's were higher, more higher profile, being UCLA-USC and all, Bruins hadn't beat them in a few years, it was a priority, there were flashy highlights and headlines coming out of the game. Everyone says the right things after a win like that "it's all about Cal now", but is it?

UCLA at their best is pretty good, but so inconsistent this year.  Counting on those UCLA inconsistencies to be part of today's game helping Cal out.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 27, 2021 9:21 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
World Class Peach

Under didn't work out yesterday but I did get Michigan right.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 27, 2021 9:38 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Thud on Cal.  Humbling to pick a team to win and they lose by 28, lose money on it and you tell people how much you like it beforehand.

I won Minnesota and Tulsa moneylines, but lost Tulane and Cal.  Cal was my favorite.  UCLA D dominated.  Knew they could be good, but didn't expect normal 4 man pass rush to wreck the game so much.

Pick'em will come down to @Lee and @Danb

Only 11 games, not sure yahoo will include them all.

5 of the 10 conference title games are rematches.

Lots of the big time coaching related news will start coming out today I'd expect.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 28, 2021 12:06 pm
StratDal liked
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Peach Extraordianire

Heard that Riley's sc contract is for $110 mill (don't know length but probably 10+- years), $6 mill home, use of private jet including for family, and his OK homes paid off.  Kelly's contract at LSU is for around $100 mil for 10 years.  I think Fisher at A&M is getting $10 mill a year too.  The money is going to kill the game.  I can't see how institutions particularly public ones can sustain this level of pay.  Eventually the fans and supporters along with tv are all going to get tapped out especially when their team's product is mediocre or under performs.

We may be at the high point of college ball as we know it.  It might finally become one league that is basically NFL light with players getting paid and another with teams that play for school spirit and pride.  We'll see...

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2021 8:51 am
masbama
(@masbama)
Peach Master
Posted by: @stratdal

Heard that Riley's sc contract is for $110 mill (don't know length but probably 10+- years), $6 mill home, use of private jet including for family, and his OK homes paid off.  Kelly's contract at LSU is for around $100 mil for 10 years.  I think Fisher at A&M is getting $10 mill a year too.  The money is going to kill the game.  I can't see how institutions particularly public ones can sustain this level of pay.  Eventually the fans and supporters along with tv are all going to get tapped out especially when their team's product is mediocre or under performs.

We may be at the high point of college ball as we know it.  It might finally become one league that is basically NFL light with players getting paid and another with teams that play for school spirit and pride.  We'll see...

Boosters pay the coaches salary 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 2, 2021 9:08 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

The buyouts and extra incentives often come from boosters.

But the SEC schools are getting $40 million per a year from TV contracts.  Big Ten $30 mil per school.  PAC 12 $20 mil per school.  Those figures only go up with more and more TV revenue at each contract renewal. 

And we saw the extensions that just made the rounds through the likes of Michigan State, Penn State and on down the line.  Everything is super crazy expensive now, everything.  Coaching salary inflation is just all part of it.  The money is there.  We might not agree on how they spend it, but spend it they do.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 2, 2021 11:58 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

This is my least favorite Saturday of the season.  I can't even tolerate gameday with all the "what if this and what if that" "probability" BS.  My peak is mid November and it's winding down now.  Going to Army-Navy next Saturday so that is pretty awesome!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 4, 2021 9:49 am
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Peach Extraordianire

UGA screws the pooch again!  Good for you UGA since you have to be ugliest and most worthless mascot in college football...

Of course the Oregon mascot isn't too far behind.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 4, 2021 8:47 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

I was really looking forward to yesterday's games but most weren't very competitive. Kind of a clunker of a day. Georgia stunk. I loved the Michigan game. 

If I had to rank the teams in the final four, mine would be Michigan 1. Cincy 4. And Georgia and Alabama 2 & 3, in whatever order you want. I don't think there is any chance of this happening. I don't think they want to see UGA & Bama playing again so soon. 

I guess things kind of played out okay. If Oklahoma State had won I have a feeling they could have bumped Cincy out which I don't think would not be fair. 

I have a bad feeling that Alabama will win it again. As much as I love Michigan, I don't think they are better then either Georgia or Alabama.

You got to go to hell before you get to Heaven.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 5, 2021 9:15 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Lee wins the pick'em!  Good job!

ABB Screenshot 2021 12 05 at 09 46 53 College Football Pick'em Yahoo Sports
ABB Screenshot 2021 12 05 at 09 47 34 College Football Pick'em Yahoo Sports weekly
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 5, 2021 9:48 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

The only thing I care about related to championships is that ONLY conference champions should compete for a national title.  Georgia lost their biggest game of the year vs the best team they played.  Eliminated.  But I don't write the rules.  The playoff and committee sucks anyway.  Never imagined how much I would hate it.  If they only selected conference champions only I could accept it the way it is.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 5, 2021 9:51 am
oldcoot liked
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

Weird that the last week being limited games meant everyone had their lowest week, except for those that had a zero week earlier.

You must have used a different pick set this year - seemed like a lot of games you would have thought we would be picking were not in the list - like there were few Notre Dame games even though they were rated.

It was still fun ... thanks for setting it up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 5, 2021 1:51 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
World Class Peach

The only thing I care about related to championships is that ONLY conference champions should compete for a national title.  Georgia lost their biggest game of the year vs the best team they played.  Eliminated.  But I don't write the rules.  The playoff and committee sucks anyway.  Never imagined how much I would hate it.  If they only selected conference champions only I could accept it the way it is.

The current system just keeps channeling the top recruits to the same schools. Before the season even starts you know 2 or 3 of the four teams that will make the title rounds. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 5, 2021 4:35 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @oldcoot

The current system just keeps channeling the top recruits to the same schools. Before the season even starts you know 2 or 3 of the four teams that will make the title rounds. 

I did lessen the number of games this year. I would like to pick every game in the board. But I sensed that picking over 30 games a week is a little much for everyone. So I selected "yahoo default" where as before I chose "yahoo default" and "top 25 teams". So a lot of those big point spread games or NL games vs lower division schools weren't on our list this year. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 5, 2021 4:59 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Conferences should be limited to one eligible team, their champion. That would help. No Ohio State and no Clemson this year!  Both were odds on favorites to make the playoffs in August. Turnover can happen. More if non-champions are excluded.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 5, 2021 9:37 pm
StratDal liked
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

ABB Screenshot 2021 12 05 at 09 47 34 College Football Pick'em Yahoo Sports weekly

That was pretty close, other than Bill. Geez! 

So when can I expect to receive my winning check? 😛 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 8, 2021 4:55 pm
DanB
 DanB
(@danb)
Ultimate Peach
Posted by: @lee

Was Sang even trying? I had the lead for a short while. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 13, 2021 9:20 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@danb 

What do you mean? You only beat him by four.

Bill's record was obviously much worse. 😮 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 14, 2021 7:43 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

Was Sang even trying? I had the lead for a short while. 

Maybe that should be your new nickname - Short While ....  Laughing Out Loud  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 14, 2021 2:33 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

I had proposed, but it was not agreed to, that if you or Sang won, the other participants could meet in Chicago. If I won I mentioned meeting at Pro Football HOF. 

looks like Bill didn't submit picks the last 3 weeks. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 14, 2021 4:49 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
World Class Peach

Semifinal games today. Likely end up with the same old - same old, Georgia vs. Alabama. Both Michigan and Cincy may put up a fight but I don't see either winning. Can't stand either Harbaugh or Satan, er, Saban so I guess I'll hope for GA - Cincinnati in the final.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 31, 2021 11:09 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

Big day for the Big Ten yesterday ...  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 31, 2021 1:09 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Semifinal games today. Likely end up with the same old - same old, Georgia vs. Alabama. Both Michigan and Cincy may put up a fight but I don't see either winning. Can't stand either Harbaugh or Satan, er, Saban so I guess I'll hope for GA - Cincinnati in the final.

You mean Nebraska isn't playing today? 😉 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 31, 2021 3:34 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
World Class Peach

You mean Nebraska isn't playing today? 😉 

Not today.

We are still undefeated in bowl games under Frost!

$$$ wise I'm on Bama and also the overs and Georgia and also the under.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 31, 2021 3:48 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

I like Meeechigan and the points. Take the hook. Or buy the half point if you like Georgia. Get it to a touchdown. Won't win as much but you cover your behind.

I would have taken Alabama too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 31, 2021 6:30 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @sang

Big day for the Big Ten yesterday ...  

Good thing Illinois wasn't invited! 😛 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 31, 2021 6:50 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Watching the Meechigan game. It is so bad I want to go to bed already. 😕 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 31, 2021 9:02 pm
Page 8 / 9
Share: