56 Likes
11.8 K Views
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @cmgst34

@nebish

no. Panthers. If they bear everyone they should beat, that’s 9. Then win one of Clem, MIA, Chapel Hill. 

they’ll bear Chapel Hill. 

That is bold.  I like Pitt, one of my good friends is Pitt alum and huge fan.  They always underachieve at some point, but I will give you, they are capable, and have a history, of meaningful upsets!

You should join our yahoo pick'em league.  Only 4 of us so far.  Traditionally we have about 8 or so.  Games start week 1, next week, not this Saturday.

Posted : August 26, 2021 9:34 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brian Calhoun

@PorkchopBob can tell us about this guy, or I have a good Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article to post on him.

Two days left!!

Posted : August 26, 2021 9:35 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@nebish thanks for asking, but the last college football player I could tell you anything about was Ron Dayne.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 26, 2021 9:54 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @porkchopbob

@nebish thanks for asking, but the last college football player I could tell you anything about was Ron Dayne.

That's fine, I know you are still a Badger fan though.

Brian Calhoun was just a Wisconsin Badger for 1 season after transferring over from Colorado.  His time in Madison was sandwiched between Anthony Davis (who left UW after 2004 as their #2 all time leading rusher) and freshman PJ Hill who made an immediate impact his first season in 2006 and for throughout his time there.

So Calhoun in 2005 is an overlooked figure in Wisconsin lore, but overlooked doesn't mean insignificant.

I will quote from the 2020 jsonline story:  Potrykus: Brian Calhoun isn't the best running back in UW history but his performance vs. Michigan in '05 is No. 1 on my list.

The No. 1 single-game performance on my list was given by Brian Calhoun in UW’s 23-20 victory over Michigan in the 2005 Big Ten opener.

“Brian was the best player on the field that night,” said current Colorado State assistant Brian White, who was UW’s running backs coach and co-offensive coordinator in ’05.

In the interest of full disclosure, Calhoun’s performance that night didn’t crack the top 20 for yards gained by a UW runner. He scored only one touchdown and his per-carry average of 4.4 yards per carry wasn’t remarkable.

Here is why Calhoun’s performance stands out in my mind:

The standout from Oak Creek High School finished with 214 total yards – 155 rushing on 35 carries and 59 yards on seven receptions.

Calhoun generated 214 of UW’s 287 yards, a whopping 75%.

“Unbelievable,” White said when reminded of Calhoun’s numbers. “Oh God.”

UW finished with 21 first downs, 12 rushing and nine passing. Calhoun had a hand in 14 of those first downs – 10 rushing and four receiving.

Calhoun’s rushing and total offense numbers pale in comparison to several other performances by UW tailbacks.

Those include:

Gordon’s 408 rushing yards and four touchdowns – in three quarters and just 25 carries – in a 59-24 victory over Nebraska in 2014.

UW finished with 21 first downs, 12 rushing and nine passing. Calhoun had a hand in 14 of those first downs – 10 rushing and four receiving.

Calhoun’s rushing and total offense numbers pale in comparison to several other performances by UW tailbacks.

Those include:

Gordon’s 408 rushing yards and four touchdowns – in three quarters and just 25 carries – in a 59-24 victory over Nebraska in 2014.

“I still have that memory, that image, of John Stocco taking the quarterback draw untouched into the end zone,” White said. “And Brian threw a key block on the play. He blocked the will (weakside) linebacker) to open it up.

“I still have a picture of the end zone celebration…The look of joy and the celebration, I’m getting chills right now thinking about it…The pure joy of that end-zone celebration, it is why you coach.”

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2020/05/07/brian-calhouns-performance-against-michigan-2005-stands-out-jeff-potrykus-top-game-badgers-running-d/3057582001/

That was Wisconsin's first win over Michigan since 1994 that night after trailing by 10 at halftime!  Badgers and Calhoun ended their season vs Auburn in the Capital One Bowl and Calhoun's 216 yards on 30 carries keyed the upset of the #7 Auburn Tigers!

College football is the best!!!

Posted : August 26, 2021 12:58 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I forgot to do #1 yesterday.  Using the iconic Jim Otto to represent GAMEDAY!  Lots of good Jim Otto interviews out there.

The start of the season is way more special and meaningful to me than the end of the season.  Sure these are Nebraska-Illinois, UConn-Fresno, Hawaii-UCLA, UTEP-New Mexico State, Southern Utah-San Jose State rather than a big time #1 vs #2 championship.  This is the start of the journey, not the end.  All 130 teams have goals and aspirations hopeful and alive.  There will be fantastic finishes, upsets, now unknown players who will write their place in history forever.  The roller coaster of emotions, fun and memories starts today!  I'm going to really enjoy this!!

Posted : August 28, 2021 8:08 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Awesome to see College Game Day on again. 😀 Looking forward to the Illinois/Nebraska game. I'm surprised how many conference games are being played early this year.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Lee

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : August 28, 2021 10:29 am
nebish reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@Lee - join our college pick'em league!  5 of us so far.  First game is next Friday night.

I will do some shout outs/emails to a few other members next week to see if we can add a few more.

Posted : August 28, 2021 12:15 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Is this against the spread?

Posted : August 29, 2021 6:03 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @lee

Yes. Sang is in. So is DanB, Fast43, Hoffcl. Coot won't play anymore since the one year he won. Maybe you can get him to join. 

Posted : August 29, 2021 10:12 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I just checked...you signed up!  Great!  See if you can get Steve to play. 

Posted : August 29, 2021 10:16 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I have an email I think for @alanwoods

Not sure if anyone else knows how to get in touch with him.  Would be cool if he played again in our pick'em league.

Posted : August 30, 2021 11:15 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I did hear back from Alan, but he is declining the pick'em.

@fensranger  @Bhawk  How about for old time's sake and some college football pick'em fun!?

@cmgst34 - I think you would enjoy it!

I'd ask @oldcoot again, but I know what he'll say, oh...I'll ask anyway! 

@rusty - you are into college football!

@robslob - you're a football guy!

https://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/college/register/joingroup

Join Private Group, group ID is 4953  Password is Bama

Posted : September 1, 2021 12:32 pm
Rusty reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

How about some yahoo college pick 'em @piacere

There are lots of colorful and pretty uniforms for your girlfriend to pick from!

Posted : September 1, 2021 7:44 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

If last Saturday week 0 didn't do anything for you and if last night Jax St vs UAB wasn't on your radar, then now we can finally say....It's Game Day!!!  Let the fun begin!!!!!  Pick'em league starts tomorrow.

Posted : September 2, 2021 9:50 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @nebish

If last Saturday week 0 didn't do anything for you and if last night Jax St vs UAB wasn't on your radar, then now we can finally say....It's Game Day!!!  Let the fun begin!!!!!  Pick'em league starts tomorrow.

Just curious, why don't tonight's games count?

Posted : September 2, 2021 10:10 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Just curious, why don't tonight's games count?

Yahoo's college pick'em does not have the Thursday games in their list.  I would not expect any Thursday games to be part of our picks this year.  Can't say why exactly.

Posted : September 2, 2021 10:23 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

@nebish 

Hmm, that's weird. The final lines are posted on Wednesday so they could include Thursday games. They do for the NFL. Oh well.

Posted : September 2, 2021 10:41 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@nebish 

Hmm, that's weird. The final lines are posted on Wednesday so they could include Thursday games. They do for the NFL. Oh well.

I don't remember yahoo ever doing Thursday games for the college pick'em.  Sorry.  You got some action you feel good about tonight?  How about tomorrow, you working the Northwestern game?

Posted : September 2, 2021 10:45 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

@nebish 

No big deal, just curious.

Regarding Northwestern, long story. That ended due to COVID. It's too bad because I had a lot of fun doing it for kicks and pocket money. Basketball games were easy. We were supposed to do Cubs and White Sox games if we wanted them too. 

But I worked in cash management and there is no cash anymore because they are afraid of it so we weren't needed I guess. You still have to process transactions but it is bank and credit cards which in a way is easier and a way it is worse. In an average football game we would take in $100k-$150k in cash depending on who they were playing. We did an Ohio State game which was nuts. And about double that including the plastic.

They got rid of our police guards because there is nothing for them to protect us from. Everything can be done in the following week, just processing transactions. 

They didn't even fire us, we just don't work there.

My colleague and I actually ran into a guy at Wrigley last month that used to feed us. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by Lee

Posted : September 2, 2021 1:39 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Wink Posted by: @nebish

I did hear back from Alan, but he is declining the pick'em.

@fensranger  @Bhawk  How about for old time's sake and some college football pick'em fun!?

@cmgst34 - I think you would enjoy it!

I'd ask @oldcoot again, but I know what he'll say, oh...I'll ask anyway! 

@rusty - you are into college football!

@robslob - you're a football guy!

https://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/college/register/joingroup

Join Private Group, group ID is 4953  Password is Bama

Hey Neb, thanks for the consideration but the year I swept both the college and pro pick 'ems I decided to go out on top. Plus, it encourages me to wager too many games. Wink  

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : September 2, 2021 7:22 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @oldcoot

Hey Neb, thanks for the consideration but the year I swept both the college and pro pick 'ems I decided to go out on top. Plus, it encourages me to wager too many games

You are welcome.  Just want to make sure everyone is included, the more the merrier! 

Unless somebody else joins, it's just the 6 of us.  Anyone can join next week too, just their worst week that will be dropped is week 1, so any new entries at that point will be on equal footing.

Some interesting things happened tonight.  Boise-UCF, OSU-Min...ooh UC Davis beat Tulsa as a 22 pt dog!  Eastern Washington was a 2 pt fav at UNLV and won in 3 OT.  I had a frustrating day with picks.  I pushed Minny and EWU and felt like throwing something at my TV with a Utah 1st H bet that should've been easy, two dropped perfect passes in the EZ resulted in 2 red zone FGs instead of 2 TDs.  No offense for Weber (KO ret TD).  Had FIU 1st H-21, they led 28-0 mid 2nd Q...28-10 halftime.  Had Citadel, covering mid 4th Q, but Coastal comes out and throws deep ball and runs reverse with like 2 minutes left...ah yeah, tell me they didn't want to cover that game.  Did win Boise + although UCF grossly outgained them, like double.

Posted : September 3, 2021 2:18 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@nebish:  Thanks for the group invitation but really once you get past San Jose State I don't follow college football much.

Gearing up for tomorrow, San Jose State @ USC (#15).  Personally I think we are going to give them a game.    Besides a potent pass offense, SJSU has all of their defensive starters back from a team that won The Mountain West last year.  Very important that we don't let them jump on us early and that we keep it close at halftime.  San Jose State is not currently ranked.  Of course if we were to knock off The Trojans tomorrow that would immediately change I'm sure.  In week #1 we ran all over a weak Southern Utah team, 45-14.  QB Nick Starkel had 348 yards passing and 4 touchdowns IN THE FIRST HALF.    

Going to Rock Bottom Brewery here in town to watch it tomorrow with my buddy (I don't drink but the food is excellent).  Game is on PAC-12 Network which my Direct TV does not carry.  I called the pub and they will have the game.  Yes I know I could watch it on-line but would much rather see it on a big screen.

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by robslob

Posted : September 3, 2021 10:55 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Scott, you might like this. My buddy that was the manager at Northwestern asked me if I wanted to go to the Cubs game this afternoon. I couldn't because I had a stupid Zoom thing. We could have gone to Wrigley, hopped on the red line train up to Evanston and caught the Northwestern / Michigan State football game tonight. I actually considered doing it but that's a long day. 

I joked with him and asked him what time we needed to be at the stadium. If we were working an 8:00 game (that's late) we would be there at about 4:00. We would clear the stadium after the game (everybody had to be out except us) around midnight and then spend three hours doing the cash. I would get home at about 4:00 AM. 

I hated night games but good times. 😉 

Posted : September 3, 2021 5:03 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @robslob

@nebish:  Thanks for the group invitation but really once you get past San Jose State I don't follow college football much.

Gearing up for tomorrow, San Jose State @ USC (#15).  Personally I think we are going to give them a game.    Besides a potent pass offense, SJSU has all of their defensive starters back from a team that won The Mountain West last year.  Very important that we don't let them jump on us early and that we keep it close at halftime.  San Jose State is not currently ranked.  Of course if we were to knock off The Trojans tomorrow that would immediately change I'm sure.  In week #1 we ran all over a weak Southern Utah team, 45-14.  QB Nick Starkel had 348 yards passing and 4 touchdowns IN THE FIRST HALF.    

Going to Rock Bottom Brewery here in town to watch it tomorrow with my buddy (I don't drink but the food is excellent).  Game is on PAC-12 Network which my Direct TV does not carry.  I called the pub and they will have the game.  Yes I know I could watch it on-line but would much rather see it on a big screen.

Hope you enjoy the day and weekend!  Get your mind off some other things.  And hopefully San Jose State wins!!  I do wish that they had the experience, familiarity and talent of Gaither and Walker today.  I think their absence might be felt vs USC.  Outside of that there is no reason San Jose can't compete.  USC doesn't always play to the best of their ability.  Helton's USC teams have lost 6x straight up as favorites and frequently find themselves in closer than expected games.

Posted : September 4, 2021 9:48 am
robslob reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Scott, you might like this. My buddy that was the manager at Northwestern asked me if I wanted to go to the Cubs game this afternoon. I couldn't because I had a stupid Zoom thing. We could have gone to Wrigley, hopped on the red line train up to Evanston and caught the Northwestern / Michigan State football game tonight. I actually considered doing it but that's a long day. 

I joked with him and asked him what time we needed to be at the stadium. If we were working an 8:00 game (that's late) we would be there at about 4:00. We would clear the stadium after the game (everybody had to be out except us) around midnight and then spend three hours doing the cash. I would get home at about 4:00 AM. 

I hated night games but good times. 😉 

Damn man, 12 hour day on top of everything else you might've had going on.  Well, I guess it is a weekend night atleast.

I went to a Pittsburgh Pirates game this summer.  That was my first experience with a 100% cashless venue.  I use cash a lot still.  So anyway, I was buying some beer and the card reader didn't have anything for tip.  If buying something for $15 or something I'd give them $20 and say keep it.  On the machine it was just like whatever the amount is accept and that's it.  So I gave the guy a few bucks and said "you still take this?".  He's like "thanks, when they trained us on the machine transactions everyone was like, what about tips, they didn't put that provision in".  That sucks.  I later attended another cash-less event and their machines did have a tip option.

Anyway, enjoy the games today! 

Posted : September 4, 2021 9:52 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

@nebish 

Yeah the vendors don't care. They would probably prefer cash. The beer guys at Wrigley keep cash between their fingers. They don't hide it . The people at the refreshment stands are the same way. I would do the same thing. I doubt anyone is going to die from touching a one or five dollar bill. 

I know of businesses that only accept cash but that is so they hide income and taxes. Totally different issue.

Posted : September 4, 2021 10:34 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

USC 30 San Jose State 7.  Oh well, I guess we know now who the hell we were playing.  USC ain't #15 for nothing obviously. When Spartans pulled within 13-7 I thought they might give them a game but NO dice.

Got shut out from watching the game.  Guy on the phone three days ago at Rock Bottom Brewery said they got PAC-12 Network.  He lied, they didn't have it.  Called another sports bar, they had the game.  But there was a music Festival there in downtown Los Gatos and we couldn't even get near the pub without a huge traffic jam and parking nightmare, kind of a mini-Woodstock situation.  So we split.  Dropped by another brewpub where I used to hang in my drinking days.  They were closed, and it looked like a permanent COVID closure.  So we gave up, went home and listened to it on the radio.  Fortunately this is the only one of Spartans' games this year on PAC-12 Network!

Posted : September 4, 2021 9:07 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@robslob - yeah disappointing day for San Jose.  The defense really played well, they gave up some plays, but to hold USC to 13 points into the 3rd Q for a team like San Jose vs a team like USC, that impressed me.  A couple turnovers and the game started to get out of hand, but it was played closer than the final score as you know.  Other than what San Jose got out of their TEs, the receivers weren't up to the talent that USC had, couldn't get open.

Great day though.  I just watched Utah State beat Washington State!  I moneyline a handful of underdogs  each week and that is really exciting for me.  Trust me, the Utah State win was VERY exciting for me  They were down 12 in the 4th and went ahead with about 10 seconds left!!!!...17 point dog winning outright!  Also hit UTSA ML.  Near miss on LaTech and then lost SJSt, TxSt and FAU, but the odds pay great and it's really fun.

I didn't see one play of Georgia - Clemson, looks like I didn't miss much.  There were just too many other games of interest at the same time.

Hey, where is stratdal ..... I mean UCLA beat LSU!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted : September 5, 2021 2:59 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

My Tide looked as good as advertised.  I hope they can stay inspired all season long.  I always hated when they were ranked at #1 early!  Only one direction you can go!  RTR!

Georgia-Clemson:  many sportswriters are trying to post-sell this as a great defensive game.  Maybe, but absolutely nothing on offense from either side.  Kudos to the Clemson D for denying UGA's offense to the bitter end.  Word of advice for UGA: Beware UAB!  This "off-week" opponent won their conference last year and looked pretty good last Thursday. They're tired of living in the shadow of their big sister school.  Georgia will likely win, but this might turn out to be a better game than they bargain for.

Posted : September 5, 2021 10:49 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

@robslob - yeah disappointing day for San Jose.  The defense really played well, they gave up some plays, but to hold USC to 13 points into the 3rd Q for a team like San Jose vs a team like USC, that impressed me.  A couple turnovers and the game started to get out of hand, but it was played closer than the final score as you know.  Other than what San Jose got out of their TEs, the receivers weren't up to the talent that USC had, couldn't get open.

Great day though.  I just watched Utah State beat Washington State!  I moneyline a handful of underdogs  each week and that is really exciting for me.  Trust me, the Utah State win was VERY exciting for me  They were down 12 in the 4th and went ahead with about 10 seconds left!!!!...17 point dog winning outright!  Also hit UTSA ML.  Near miss on LaTech and then lost SJSt, TxSt and FAU, but the odds pay great and it's really fun.

I didn't see one play of Georgia - Clemson, looks like I didn't miss much.  There were just too many other games of interest at the same time.

Hey, where is stratdal ..... I mean UCLA beat LSU!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on the money line winners. 17 point dog, nice!!!!

I went with lower hanging fruit. Went against UMASS +38, Akron +37, Fordham +41. Was trying to decide between Maryland +3 or the over 57. Went with the over. 31 points combined in the first quarter, still fell short. Terp running back breaks free with under a minute to go gets caught from behind at the 5. I'd be more miffed if I hadn't gotten last minute covers in two of those other games. That's why it's called gambling I guess. Also had Georgia +3. So, can't complain about the weekend. 

No doubt a lot of emotion for the Seminoles tonight. If I play it at all I'd still be on the Irish. 

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : September 5, 2021 1:30 pm
Page 3 / 12
Share: