Clear all

College Football 2020  

Page 8 / 9
  RSS
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @lee

Cal and UCLA playing Sunday morning has to something never seen before.

https://sports.yahoo.com/utah-will-wait-to-open-the-2020-season-after-game-vs-ucla-gets-canceled-201022892.html

It's UCLA's Beetles moment... will they be bigger than Jesus! 🤣 

Hopefully I'll remember they're playing.  9 am football starts... at least the players will get their mid-to-late afternoons back.

GO BRUINS!  KILL kal!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2020 7:50 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @nebish

Michigan wins tonight

Yawn. Sadly, I've heard that story before. 😪 

That sucked. We can spare the details. 

My fun and success is heavily dependent on dogs and upsets. I'll sum it up like this, there were only two upsets by teams greater than 3 pts...ILL and CU. And I had Rut and Tree. 

No upsets and most favorites covering makes Scott a dull boy. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 15, 2020 12:23 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@nebish

Scott, you'll like this. I took Boston College getting 13. Didn't mean to but I did click on it. I took Neutered Dame -15.5. ND wins by 14, splits the middle there and lost both bets. 😮 Couldn't have done that if I tried! 😉 

You got to go to hell before you get to Heaven.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 15, 2020 8:03 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Looking forward to a college football game on a Sunday at 11:00 AM. Crazy, Cal & UCLA playing at 9:00 AM out there. Brunch and football. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 15, 2020 8:07 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

@nebish

Scott, you'll like this. I took Boston College getting 13. Didn't mean to but I did click on it. I took Neutered Dame -15.5. ND wins by 14, splits the middle there and lost both bets. 😮 Couldn't have done that if I tried! 😉 

Your local lines on ND must be jacked up?

I did a good middle yesterday, WF game UNC 2nd H. WF got up by was it 18?  +12.5 up 18 easy winner right?  UNC scores 35 unanswered and WF no longer covering!  WF went 3-and-out 4x. Thankfully I did get a garbage WF score to pull in both sides of that. 

And, I pride myself on not going to bed before the last game ends, including Hawaii home games. Last night, I couldn't fight it and fell asleep with an Under 50.5 in the OreSt-UW game. They had 45 points at HT. I fell asleep early 4th Q, woke up and the whole 2nd H they only scored 3, it stayed under. That's about as lucky as you can get!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 15, 2020 9:09 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

Michigan wins tonight

Ha, nope. Nice win in their return by the Badgers. Hope you didn't put too much money on the Wolverines.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 15, 2020 9:49 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @porkchopbob

Michigan wins tonight

Ha, nope. Nice win in their return by the Badgers. Hope you didn't put too much money on the Wolverines.

Even as a homer, I didn't fall for it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 15, 2020 10:20 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Peach Extraordianire

San Jose State 34 UNLV 17.  SJSU is 4-0 for the first time since 1955!!  Defense had 7 sacks last night.  And we actually garnered some top 25 votes.  People are starting to take notice and they should.

Normally I am not a fan of rotating quarterbacks.  You may have heard the phrase, "If you have two quarterbacks you have no quarterback."  But in the case of SJSU this year, it seems to be working and looks VERY tough to defend.  Nick Starkel is still the starter but Nick Nash gets playing time, mostly rushing from the QB position.  Last night Nash had 8 carries for 94 yards which is just a hair under 12 yards per carry!  He only threw the ball once.  And Nash proved last week vs. San Diego State that he is a very good passer.  Starkel still tearing it up throwing the ball, so at any time the defense just does not know who is going to be in there or what they are going to be facing.  Starkel was 17-28 for 274 yards, 2 TD's, 1 INT.  Bailey Gaither 6 receptions for 94 yards and 2 TD's.  Tyler Nevens 45 yards rushing but on only 5 carries, a 9 yard average.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by robslob
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 15, 2020 11:14 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @porkchopbob

Michigan wins tonight

More than I should've, which should've been zero!

What I really enjoy is betting underdogs on the money line for upsets and unless somebody had Illinois or Colorado it was an awful day for any decent underdog ML.  Handicapping sports is the art of correctly predicting what should happen.  I like to try and correctly predict what shouldn't happen!  Love it, it's way fun and exciting.  Unfortunately I went 0-fer on those yesterday.  Texas State was a near miss.  Some real funny business in the 4th quarter of that game.  They called Texas State for a roughing the passer penalty after a 3rd and long incompletion, but the QB was 1) out of the pocket as a runner who threw at the very last second, 2) the defender hit him by stretching out his arms to the QBs chest, no hit to the head or helmet to helmet, 3) the ball was just leaving the QBs hand when contact was initiated, 4) the contact was near the sideline, but occurred in bounds.  Instead of a punt Georgia Southern was able to go on for a FG (they won by 2) and run off more time.  Then on their final possession as Georgia Southern was trying to kill the clock, inside of 2 minutes a GaSo player ran out of bounds, forward, on his own, ran out of bounds and they did not stop the clock.  Sometimes if the player goes backwards out of bounds or is stopped in bounds and then falls out of bounds they will keep the clock rolling, but no, this player ran straight out of bounds on his own power, and the clock did not stop under 2 minutes.  Shaddy refs. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 15, 2020 11:46 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

I thought Starkel didn't have a good game last night.  Not just the one pick, but I can think of at least one other that should've been picked.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 15, 2020 11:48 am
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @stratdal

Cal and UCLA playing Sunday morning has to something never seen before.

https://sports.yahoo.com/utah-will-wait-to-open-the-2020-season-after-game-vs-ucla-gets-canceled-201022892.html

It's UCLA's Beetles moment... will they be bigger than Jesus! 🤣 

Hopefully I'll remember they're playing.  9 am football starts... at least the players will get their mid-to-late afternoons back.

GO BRUINS!  KILL kal!

Well it started out in typical Bruins fashion (blocked FG and an interception) but after that, it was all UCLA.  Sure took the edge off things!  I hope this is a turn-the-corner game for the program but I've been down that road before... at the very least it's been a beautiful fall day here and we're just soaking it all in.  GO BRUINS!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 15, 2020 7:55 pm
nebish liked
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Western Mich at Central Mich Wednesday will be good. The only good college ball being played in the state. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 15, 2020 10:27 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Peach Extraordianire

@nebish:

"I thought Starkel didn't have a good game last night.  Not just the one pick, but I can think of at least one other that should've been picked."

Actually everything considered I thought he was damn good.  Remember only one week ago his head hit the turf so hard on the first drive of the game that he never returned.  Last night he took another MONSTER hit.......if you remember they actually reviewed it to see if it was "targeting" but they ended up not calling it.  I thought it at least could have been.  He got up from that one and never missed a play but it was brutal.  Anyway, I can only see this two-headed QB at San Jose State causing nightmares for defensive coordinators.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 15, 2020 11:15 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire

Season of the asterisk.   

Even though my University of Alabama Crimson Tide is in a good position right now, I'm still having a hard time being jazzed this season.  So many cancellations!  This late into the "season" - some teams just now playing their 2nd or 3rd games?  Covid outbreaks among players - who are allowed to receive absolutely SQUAT of the huge revenues generated for television networks and the participating schools.  So many (SEC) conference games to be rescheduled  - no time to do this before the "Championship game".  While we do know about Covid outbreaks among players - even coaches - what about those "limited" attendees who although sit spaced in the stadiums but must pass through the turnstiles, share restrooms and crowd concession stands?  The Sturgis (motorcycle) Rally is still getting large negative press for its role in the spread.  Are we to believe that 18 - 25K people gathered in stadiums has had nothing to do with perpetrating the virus?  Talk to me, people!  

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 16, 2020 9:26 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @robslob

@nebish:

"I thought Starkel didn't have a good game last night.  Not just the one pick, but I can think of at least one other that should've been picked."

Actually everything considered I thought he was damn good.  Remember only one week ago his head hit the turf so hard on the first drive of the game that he never returned.  Last night he took another MONSTER hit.......if you remember they actually reviewed it to see if it was "targeting" but they ended up not calling it.  I thought it at least could have been.  He got up from that one and never missed a play but it was brutal.  Anyway, I can only see this two-headed QB at San Jose State causing nightmares for defensive coordinators.

True, I did wonder if the concussion he suffered last game might have impacted his play a little, or some of the rotation at QB didn't allow him to fully get into a rhythm.  Either way, we know what he is capable of, he is a very good QB and runs that offense very well, just maybe an off game for him.  I do remember the hit, I thought it was excellent form by the defender on the sack with the proper no call for targeting.

One thing I know we'll agree on, the defense was outstanding!  Beat Fresno!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 16, 2020 9:33 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @rusty

Season of the asterisk.   

Even though my University of Alabama Crimson Tide is in a good position right now, I'm still having a hard time being jazzed this season.  So many cancellations!  This late into the "season" - some teams just now playing their 2nd or 3rd games?  Covid outbreaks among players - who are allowed to receive absolutely SQUAT of the huge revenues generated for television networks and the participating schools.  So many (SEC) conference games to be rescheduled  - no time to do this before the "Championship game".  While we do know about Covid outbreaks among players - even coaches - what about those "limited" attendees who although sit spaced in the stadiums but must pass through the turnstiles, share restrooms and crowd concession stands?  The Sturgis (motorcycle) Rally is still getting large negative press for its role in the spread.  Are we to believe that 18 - 25K people gathered in stadiums has had nothing to do with perpetrating the virus?  Talk to me, people!  

What would you like to talk about? 

Neither you or I can control the decisions to let fans attend games.  I've already expressed my concern with that.  It's up to the schools, the leagues and the states.  You don't need fans in attendance to play the games.  Big Ten, PAC 12, some ACC, MAC and MWC have no fans, in some cases on family of players.  I'd be fine with no fans.

The season is what it is.  Trying to get games in.  The players want to play, if not they could've opted out and kept their scholarships.  Do they care they do not receive SQUAT of the huge revenues?  I don't know, that is up to them.  How many play for the love of the game they will never have the opportunity to play again vs the ones you think must be resentful for being exploited?

We are all entitled to our own opinions and feelings on this and everything else.  I'd say just try and enjoy the games for what they are rather than finding all the reasons why you don't like the games.

There were 20%+ of games canceled some weeks earlier in the year, but nobody cared because they weren't the teams most people follow.  As a % this past week's cancellations were not much worse than some of the weeks in September and October.  Nobody calls it ideal.  Some schools are playing volleyball, schools are playing soccer, they have found a way to play football during coronavirus.  It is different and it is problematic, but if the schools want to do it and if the players want to do it and they put plans in place to do it, then they should do it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 16, 2020 9:44 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Muschamp fired.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 16, 2020 9:44 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Northwestern 4-0!  Would LOVE to see Cats beat Wisconsin this week, but Bucky opened 8 pt favorite at NW!

Indiana 4-0!  Would LOVE to see Hoosiers beat Ohio State this week, but Bucks opened 21pt favorite!

In case anyone is wondering...Michigan opened -9 at Rutgers 🧐 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 16, 2020 9:58 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Liberty 8-0 travels to North Carolina State this week.  When I mentioned Liberty was able to schedule 3 ACC games...I never knew it would kinda matter for the Flames!  Can they do it again?

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 16, 2020 10:00 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Big showdown in Sun Belt this week when 6-1 App State travels to 7-0 Coastal Carolina.

Coastal had their game last week vs Troy PPD.  Was due to covid and injury issues on Troy's team so hopefully App and the Chants stay healthy and clean this week so they can square off for the Sun Belt East showdown!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 16, 2020 10:03 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire

@nebish  My question is - do you think that football is contributing to the spread of Covid?  

We've had the debate (discussion?) of whether outdoor "peaceful protests" can transmit the virus at the same rate as outdoor "political rallys".  Look at the crowds assembled at some of the stadiums on television.  They start off sitting at some safe spacing - by the end of an exciting game it is not rare to see the spectators grouped in mass near the team benches.  Doesn't take anyone with 20/20 vision to notice that many are not wearing masks.

If you host a large enough party at your house - you might receive a visit from your local Po-Po - telling you to break it up.

Nobody loves football more than I do!  I just feel that this season probably should've been canned from the get-go.  As fans, we should thank President Trump - who takes credit for "bringing back football".  He's also against wearing masks, closing down risky businesses (bars, dine-in restaurants, gyms etc.) that have been pin-pointed as hotbeds for Covid transmittal and even testing for the virus ("... more testing leads to more cases!").  I'll refrain from any further raining on your picnic.  

Also Muschamp (aka Fred Flintstone) is a classic case of an assistant coach who just ain't head coach material.  😉 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 16, 2020 10:18 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @rusty

@nebish  My question is - do you think that football is contributing to the spread of Covid?  

We've had the debate (discussion?) of whether outdoor "peaceful protests" can transmit the virus at the same rate as outdoor "political rallys".  Look at the crowds assembled at some of the stadiums on television.  They start off sitting at some safe spacing - by the end of an exciting game it is not rare to see the spectators grouped in mass near the team benches.  Doesn't take anyone with 20/20 vision to notice that many are not wearing masks.

If you host a large enough party at your house - you might receive a visit from your local Po-Po - telling you to break it up.

Nobody loves football more than I do!  I just feel that this season probably should've been canned from the get-go.  As fans, we should thank President Trump - who takes credit for "bringing back football".  He's also against wearing masks, closing down risky businesses (bars, dine-in restaurants, gyms etc.) that have been pin-pointed as hotbeds for Covid transmittal and even testing for the virus ("... more testing leads to more cases!").  I'll refrain from any further raining on your picnic.  

Also Muschamp (aka Fred Flintstone) is a classic case of an assistant coach who just ain't head coach material.  😉 

Football may be contributing to the spread.  One could say that if person A on the team gets it then they could spread it to person B at practice and if there was no practice then person A would never have been in contact with person B.  In that sense it could be furthering the spread of the virus.

But at the same time I believe it is true that if these players were not with their team, with the vast majority of players trying to do the right thing and limit their exposures, if these players weren't with their teams what would they be doing?  With football they have certain guidelines to try and live their lives by in order to stay covid negative and play the games.  If there were no games and no reason for a 17-23 year old to try and stay safe...because let's face it, we have seen some of the photos and videos and read the stories about how some young people feel about this virus - if not for football, I think 100+ kids at these schools could actually be furthering the spread of the virus much more than they currently might be.

I think these players are absolutely better off at their football facilities getting the treatment and amenities those facilitates offer and being tested multiple times as week to every day of the week in some conferences. 

They have made the decision to try and play, and I fully support that.  If they had not made the decision to play, I would've questioned it, I would've been disappointed, but ultimately it is not up to me and life goes on either way. 

Are fans potentially a problem?  Yea, probably.  But what do you want me to do about it.  What do you want to do about it?  What can you do abuot it?  It is somebody else's decision and up to those specific institutions, counties and states.  Just like I did not suggest to know what NY or Michigan should or shouldn't be doing this spring, just like I did not suggest to know what Arkansas or South Dakota should've been doing this spring, I am not going to tell the SEC or the other southern schools how many fans they should or should not have.  I think we should all mind our own business really, not my sandbox.  Seems that is a lot of the problems in this country, somebody somewhere thinks they know what is right or best for somebody else.  Here is something bringing it back to football, coaches and players always say "control what you can control".  I can't control how many fans are at an Ole Miss football game, so honestly, I don't care.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 16, 2020 11:32 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Also Muschamp (aka Fred Flintstone) is a classic case of an assistant coach who just ain't head coach material.

You know...I've heard it said, heard it compared...Kirby Smart is Will Muschamp with better players.  :O

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 16, 2020 11:33 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Peach Extraordianire

Looking forward to fading both Akron and UMASS this week. No really scientific analysis going into that, banking (hopefully) on historic spread outcomes.

Glad that Frost is giving McCaffrey the reins. Will no doubt be some growing pains but it could lead to some real improvements in succeeding seasons (whenever that might be).

If Penn St has any fight in them at all shouldn't they be able to beat Iowa as a home dog this week?

"Y'all know the Fire Marshal...the cat that can't get the job as a policeman." Duane Allman

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 17, 2020 1:54 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @oldcoot

Looking forward to fading both Akron and UMASS this week. No really scientific analysis going into that, banking (hopefully) on historic spread outcomes.

Glad that Frost is giving McCaffrey the reins. Will no doubt be some growing pains but it could lead to some real improvements in succeeding seasons (whenever that might be).

If Penn St has any fight in them at all shouldn't they be able to beat Iowa as a home dog this week?

Wagon Wheel!  Akron and Kent State campuses are about an hour west of me.  Wish I could go to this game...I mean, Kent normally only gets about 100-200 people at their games anyway...no problem staying socially distant!

Anyway....if Kent State wins tonight they will be 3-0 for the first time since 1958!  Kent is going for their first .500 or better season for the first time since 1977 and I think they've only had 4 winning season since 1978!  Rare air for these Kent State Golden Flashes.

I can't blame you for liking Kent, other than some subpar 3rd Q efforts in both games this season they have looked strong.  They have a pretty good thing going there.

But I have to tell you what, the Zips do have some life.  They scored on 3 of their first 4 drives vs Western game 1  even though they wer shut down thereafter and last week vs Ohio, they actually looked like the better team for most of the game.  Ran for over 200y on OU and outgained them overall. 

I think the Zips might keep it in the number tonight, but they are bad still and Kent is good.  Just think they are showing improvement that might not be getting recognized yet.

Bowling Green is on another level.  Akron would probably be favored by 7 on neutral vs BG.  BG totally inept on O both games and the D has shown a little, just a little, resistance, but the O nonexistent except for garbage time vs Kent.  Buffalo very well might be the best team in the league.  I'm rarely one to back a 30 point favorite, but it leads me to ask, if you are fading Akron and UMASS, why not BG?

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 17, 2020 5:27 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Peach Extraordianire

Why not BG?

Thanks! Added to the Fade List!

Hope BG gets "Little Feat"-ed, slight lyric change, "Buffaloed by Buffalo."

"Y'all know the Fire Marshal...the cat that can't get the job as a policeman." Duane Allman

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 17, 2020 6:01 pm
nebish liked
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

MACtion - Buffalo let BG score a couple 4th Q TDs...over came in though by .5!  Akron was good enough for 1 half...then ran out of gas...how about that over!! 

Couple good ones tonight.  Western @ Central I'm pretty excited for!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 18, 2020 1:12 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Anyone catch the Purdue / Minnesota game last night? Very entertaining game. BUT, I think I saw one of the worst calls in a football game I have ever seen at the end. The offensive pass interference call on the Purdue receiver was beyond horrible. AND they actually reviewed it and upheld it. Cost Purdue the game. My in laws live in Lafayette and live and breathe with Purdue. I turned to my wife and told her what I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall of her mother's living room watching her reaction. Her blood pressure probably went through the roof.

Oh, and I had $ on Purdue and lost because of that. 😮 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2020 5:48 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Northwestern 4-0!  Would LOVE to see Cats beat Wisconsin this week, but Bucky opened 8 pt favorite at NW!

Indiana 4-0!  Would LOVE to see Hoosiers beat Ohio State this week, but Bucks opened 21pt favorite!

In case anyone is wondering...Michigan opened -9 at Rutgers 🧐 

Crazy day in The Big Ten. It was a nice day to watch the games, one after another if you live in the Midwest. Surprised by Wisconsin's performance. NW did enough to win. Can't believe I was at every home game last year and we would laugh at how bad they were. 

Gotta give Indiana a lot of credit. I thought OSU would smoke them. 

And Harbaugh finally made a right decision (I guess) with the QB change. Buy My God, eking out a win over Rutgers? Really?

Hey, at least Michigan State didn't lose. Oh, wait...

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2020 8:13 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Too bad you couldn't be in Evanston Lee. 

I was very happy with that outcome!  I hit 3 of 4 ML upsets this week which always makes or breaks my Saturdays.

I think actually...Ohio State and Michigan were the only favorites that won this week in the B1G.  PSU closed -1 I think?  Purdue was a road favorite Friday, yeah I know, I hated that PI call, was on the Boilers.  I did take some more when they were trailing at HT so I got the split in that game as they were able to close the gap, but still, bad call.  I can see what the ref saw, but I do not think it was by any means bad enough to warrant a flag.  That play didn't end the game, INT on the next play did.  Not sure how Brohm was able to restrain himself from going down the sideline and physically confronting that ref.  But hey, good to see Rondale Moore back huh!? 

This is always one of my favorite weekends of the year for football.  The schedule is mixed up now, but we still get plenty of good games and some traditional Thanksgiving weekend games were retained...Iron Bowl, The Big Game, Civil War.  Big one Saturday at noon for the MAC with Kent traveling to Buffalo.  I as actually at that game the last time Kent traveled to UB, Kent has evolved into a completely different team, a pretty darn good one.  Best QB in the MAC Dustin Crum faces off with the best D and running game in the MAC.  Friday we get ND at UNC and ISU at Texas is huge for Big Xll Title considerations.  Saturday OU at WVU...Pitt at Clemson, Clemson pretty sore about that late cancelation at FSU still.   Pitt beat them in 2016 if you remember as 21 pt dog! 

Where is robslob at...San Jose travels to the smurfturf....Spartan Up! 

Oh what about CU going to USC...smelling a little upset there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2020 6:01 pm
Page 8 / 9
Share: