College Football 2020

363 Posts
14 Users
18 Likes
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Oh, yeah, I can't get out of here without commenting on that fantastic thrilling game that was Michigan at Rutgers.

Hey, the kids deserve to celebrate, it's hard work and winning can't be taken for granted vs any opponent.  Having said that I have never seen a Big Ten team so happy to beat Rutgers!  Rutgers went way too conservative after Michigan missed the FG in OT, they essentially just played to set up their own game winning FG.  You got to get closer and maybe you even pop a TD run or something.  Sucks for Rutgers there because that was their best chance to win that game.

Posted : November 24, 2020 7:03 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

Hey nebish, I'm good with having more games to pick from, since quite a few get cancelled plus I need more games to catch up....  Sweaty  

Posted : November 24, 2020 7:22 pm
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Noble Member

@nebish

"Oh what about CU going to USC...smelling a little upset there!"  CU has never beaten sc.  I wouldn't bet the ranch.

If UCLA wouldn't commit turnovers or special teams screw-ups in its first two possessions, it would be undefeated.  C'est la vie...

Posted : November 24, 2020 9:18 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @sang

Hey nebish, I'm good with having more games to pick from, since quite a few get cancelled plus I need more games to catch up....  Sweaty  

OK good deal.  Lots of Friday games this week, make sure you don't miss out!  Lee and Dan already have theirs in.

Posted : November 26, 2020 12:14 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

From noted football prognosticator Patrick Henry earlier today, “give me Liberty and lay the points.”

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : November 27, 2020 3:48 pm
nebish reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Two more regular season weeks plus the league title game weeks left.  Normally I am burned out of college ball by this time each year, but I'm still pretty into it! Lots of good upsets are keeping me dialed in and keeping the wallet fat!  Haven't overdosed yet.

Bon Scott sings about overdosing on love and women.  I overdoese on gambling and college football!

Posted : December 2, 2020 12:28 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

All I can say after the Friday game is STOP THE COUNT....  Grinning Grinning Grinning  

I won bigly .... Wink  

Posted : December 5, 2020 1:04 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@ nebish:  Big one in The Mountain West Friday night:  Nevada at San Jose State (SJSU is the home team but it's being played at UNLV's Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas due to COVID restrictions here in Santa Clara County.  49ers have also had to move their home games).

Boise State has one loss but that was non-conference (BYU), they are 4-0 in the Mountain West.  So if they beat Wyoming Saturday (likely they will, Wyoming is 2-3) they are guaranteed a spot in the Mountain West conference championship game.  They would face the winner of Nevada - SJSU.  Nevada has one conference loss (Hawaii) but if they beat SJSU (5-0 overall, 5-0 Mountain West) both teams would have one conference loss but due to head-to-head matchups Nevada would play in the conference championship vs. Boise St.  So this will be a BIG one Friday night.  It's on CBS Sports Network.  I'm ready!!

Posted : December 8, 2020 10:41 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @robslob

@ nebish:  Big one in The Mountain West Friday night:  Nevada at San Jose State (SJSU is the home team but it's being played at UNLV's Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas due to COVID restrictions here in Santa Clara County.  49ers have also had to move their home games).

Boise State has one loss but that was non-conference (BYU), they are 4-0 in the Mountain West.  So if they beat Wyoming Saturday (likely they will, Wyoming is 2-3) they are guaranteed a spot in the Mountain West conference championship game.  They would face the winner of Nevada - SJSU.  Nevada has one conference loss (Hawaii) but if they beat SJSU (5-0 overall, 5-0 Mountain West) both teams would have one conference loss but due to head-to-head matchups Nevada would play in the conference championship vs. Boise St.  So this will be a BIG one Friday night.  It's on CBS Sports Network.  I'm ready!!

Good old Sam Boyd has been a busy place!  This will be UNR's second trip to Sam Boyd this season (played NM there a few weeks back).  I'm sure those guys hate that place being the former home of arch rival UNLV. 

Were you able to watch San Jose at Hawaii on the Team 1 Sports App?  That App has worked real well for me this year.

Friday is a strong night.  5 games, 3 good games including the Territorial Cup!  Utah at CU should be very good.

Very excited for the Nevada-San Jose game Friday for sure. 

Another game that is a defacto semifinal for their league title game is Ball State at Western Michigan Saturday.  Winner wins the West and will play Buffalo!

Posted : December 8, 2020 4:37 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@nebish:  In answer to your question, no I did not see the Hawaii game.  It was on Spectrum Sports which my Direct TV does not get.  They did say you could watch it for free by downloading the Spectrum app into a mobile device, either your phone or tablet.  I don't own a tablet and am just not into watching football or any other game on my phone!  That's not an enjoyable activity to me so if I can't watch on my TV I'm not watching.

Posted : December 8, 2020 9:01 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

Those flip phones always have connection issues .... Grinning  

Posted : December 8, 2020 11:27 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@sang:  Samsung Android smartphone wise ass

Posted : December 9, 2020 3:41 pm
Sang reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @robslob

@sang:  Samsung Android smartphone wise ass

Obviously you've never met him. 😉 

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : December 9, 2020 9:44 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Too bad about Michigan/OSU. Glad OSU gets into the championship. Big Ten broke their own rule for whatever that's worth.

Posted : December 9, 2020 9:57 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Why have rules if you just change them when the outcome isn't what you want?

Posted : December 10, 2020 9:24 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

@nebish   That sounds familiar .... 😛 

Posted : December 10, 2020 2:12 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Posted by: @sang

@nebish   That sounds familiar .... 😛 

Thought the same, eerily similar to other current events going on.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : December 10, 2020 3:18 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yup power and money.  Just a part of why a hate the playoff in college football.  Nothing else matters.  The positioning and the messaging about the playoff is all that the sport has been boiled down to it.  I hate the playoff.  I hate the committee.  I hate what it has done to the sport.

Posted : December 10, 2020 4:58 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @nebish

Why have rules if you just change them when the outcome isn't what you want?

Because it is THE Ohio State University. After watching all of the ESPN sports talk shows this morning at work I thought a bit about this some more and I can see how much of the college football world could really think they don't deserve a chance at the title since they played so many fewer games. Not their fault but still... 

Posted : December 10, 2020 8:40 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I think the biggest problem is that beating Indiana and Northwestern would be their two best wins.  I'd LOVE to see NW beat them, but they probably will not.

So Indiana got doubled up in yards vs Penn State and still won.  IU just got outgained by Wisconsin by like 100 yards and won.  Indiana is having a good season, but their strength and ranking feels false when you see how they win games.

And Northwestern is the same way.  Indiana and NW are like identical teams and beating them isn't going to garner a lot of respect.

If the committee wants Ohio State, they will make up any explanation and reasoning to pick Ohio State.  It's all a sham.

Is Ohio State the best team in the Big Ten?  Yes.  Are they the legitimate East division winner?  Yes.  Should they play in the Big Ten Title game?  No, not by the rules the league instituted when the season started, but none of that matters now.

Remember the Big Ten is having the entire league play games next week (the ones that can).  It's not just the Big Ten Title game, even if Ohio State weren't playing in it, they would still be playing a game. 

Whatever, it's all BS.

Posted : December 10, 2020 9:08 pm
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Noble Member

GO BRUINS!  DESTROY troy!  

(Hopefully it still happens.  Never know these "daze"!)

Posted : December 11, 2020 1:33 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

I think the biggest problem is that beating Indiana and Northwestern would be their two best wins.  I'd LOVE to see NW beat them, but they probably will not.

So Indiana got doubled up in yards vs Penn State and still won.  IU just got outgained by Wisconsin by like 100 yards and won.  Indiana is having a good season, but their strength and ranking feels false when you see how they win games.

And Northwestern is the same way.  Indiana and NW are like identical teams and beating them isn't going to garner a lot of respect.

If the committee wants Ohio State, they will make up any explanation and reasoning to pick Ohio State.  It's all a sham.

Is Ohio State the best team in the Big Ten?  Yes.  Are they the legitimate East division winner?  Yes.  Should they play in the Big Ten Title game?  No, not by the rules the league instituted when the season started, but none of that matters now.

Remember the Big Ten is having the entire league play games next week (the ones that can).  It's not just the Big Ten Title game, even if Ohio State weren't playing in it, they would still be playing a game. 

Whatever, it's all BS.

Something like this?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-ohio-state-michigan-big-ten-covid-19-20201209-urvgy2ghv5dqxocen7llkn6wk4-story.html

There's a better article in today's Trib but I can't find it by Paul Sullivan. It's really funny.

Posted : December 11, 2020 10:55 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @lee

Something like this?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-ohio-state-michigan-big-ten-covid-19-20201209-urvgy2ghv5dqxocen7llkn6wk4-story.html

There's a better article in today's Trib but I can't find it by Paul Sullivan. It's really funny.

Pretty much.

I like this, found it somewhere on the internet.  You know the Big Ten said they deliberated their decision.  It must've been something like this:

OSU big ten title analysis

Posted : December 11, 2020 11:40 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

It just makes me gravitate more towards the non-powerhouse teams.

Like right now, I don't care if I never see another Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame game again.  I'll be happy the rest of my life watching teams like Nevada and San Jose State play.

Posted : December 11, 2020 11:42 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Like right now, I don't care if I never see another Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame game again.  I'll be happy the rest of my life watching teams like Nevada and San Jose State play.

Along those lines, look at Cincinnati. Didn't they recently get passed in the rankings by someone who didn't play or something? I forget the details but they aren't getting any respect.

Posted : December 12, 2020 10:10 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Along those lines, look at Cincinnati. Didn't they recently get passed in the rankings by someone who didn't play or something? I forget the details but they aren't getting any respect.

The committee says the Group of 5 teams aren't good enough, like Cincinnati. 

Then they jump Cincy with Iowa State, a team who lost to a Group of 5 team!

They will just make up whatever they want to get whatever they want.  It's why all human influence and decision making needs complete removed from the process.

Posted : December 12, 2020 11:17 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Waiting for Rob to chime in this morning....

How 'bout that 2nd Half!

I doubled down on San Jose 2nd H bet after the play and stats from the 1st H didn't really justify it.  That KO return immediate shot in arm. 

But that fumble by Taua...I think he was down.  Critically to get that called on the field as a fumble.  After that play SJ dominated!

Posted : December 12, 2020 11:20 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @stratdal

GO BRUINS!  DESTROY troy!  

(Hopefully it still happens.  Never know these "daze"!)

x2  F USC!  Go Bruins!!

Posted : December 12, 2020 11:20 am
StratDal reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Disappointing that Army - Navy isn't a feature stand alone game today.

Anyone see Coach Ken on GameDay?  It was awesome!!

"you said all the games are close, I guess you forgot about last year"

"I'm pissed right now, this looks like an Army show"

"my hands are shaking right now I'm so pissed"

"Monken isn't the only competitor"

Posted : December 12, 2020 11:22 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

The committee says the Group of 5 teams aren't good enough, like Cincinnati. 

Then they jump Cincy with Iowa State, a team who lost to a Group of 5 team!

They will just make up whatever they want to get whatever they want.  It's why all human influence and decision making needs complete removed from the process.

Are you suggesting going back to the computer process? Just curious.

Posted : December 12, 2020 11:32 am
Page 9 / 13
Share: