363 Posts
14 Users
18 Likes
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @lee

Boy did Meeechigan lay an egg Saturday. Folks are calling for Harbaugh's head. Of course they have been for several years. Didn't watch a play of the game live but I have since seen enough of it. I took MSU and the points. Didn't think there was any way the Spartans could turn the ball over seven times in consecutive weeks. And even as much of a Meeechigan fan as I am, I have known for a long time you always take the opponent when they are giving a lot of points. They rarely cover large spreads. Been that way for years.

All the Ohio State failures aside, I think that loss to MSU was Harbaugh's worst loss ever.  Michigan never led.  Michigan never looked like the better team on the field or on the sidelines (coaching).  Losing to the instate rival many Michigan fans and players look down upon to a first year head coach who didn't get there until February and had no spring practice and an offseason of August and September in total disarray - they beat Michigan in Ann Arbor as a 3 TD fav and really Sparty looked like the better team with better players.  That loss is inexcusable. 

This is great! I really like the smaller conferences playing on Tuesdays & Wednesdays. I guess I am being greedy but it's cool to get the opportunity to watch football during mid-week. Plus as a midwestern guy, I like watching The MAC.

MAC is really fun.  A few good teams and a few really bad teams, so the games aren't always good, but either way, I love MAC football.  Akron and Kent are just right now the road from me.  Kent is pretty solid right now, they have a good thing going there.  Playing Eastern Mich Wednesday.  Akron is bad, I haven't yet brushed up on them this year, Western Mich is coming down there Wednesday.  Central is supposed to be pretty good again, this might be the best game of the day with Ohio Bobcats traveling to Mt Pleasant to take on the Chips.  Chips have a new QB so we'll have to see how that goes.  Ball State won the red bird trophy last year in a year that Miami of Ohio won the league and they face off in week 1. 

Usually in MAC games are great Over plays because the lack of defense in most spots.  If the games go under it's usually because of some bad offenses.  Either way, you have to watch to see what happens.  It's going to be fun!

Posted : November 2, 2020 10:30 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @robslob

@nebish:  It was Tre Walker who made that incredible end zone catch for a TD.  Yes, refs ruled him out of bounds; Walker seemed to be the only one on the field who knew it was a TD and he argued vehemently.  They reviewed it and yeah, he had a foot down while controlling the ball.  SJSU has two incredible wide-outs, Walker and Gaither.  

Yes, the San Diego State game on Friday is a huge test for us and will show if we can hang with the Big Boys (we already beat a good Air Force team though).  I actually added a Sports Package including CBS Sports Network to my Direct TV package just for this game (SJSU's previous two games were on Fox Sports Network).  Was only $8.99/month so I figured it was worth it and I get a bunch of other channels.  Can't miss this one!

CBS Sports Network is my favorite TV channel.  I don't care for the ESPN formats or personalities except for Greg McElroy when he makes appearances.  Big McElroy fan here.  I do like Big Ten Network a lot, but CBS Sports Network is an absolute must have for my football season for sure for the weekday shows and they cover a lot of service academy football which is great and have a MWC contract.  I love their Inside College Football show on Tuesdays, although tomorrow, I will have to DVR and watch later as I'm sure we will be watching election coverage instead, but I will wish I was watching Inside College Football.

Question for you rob, when Hawaii plays at San Jose in a couple weeks is there a local sports network channel you can get it on?  As of right now only 2 of the Hawaii games were picked up by national carriers (WYO last Friday and the Boise game).  I've had to listen to Hawaii games on the radio before, it sucks that their PPV contract for rights on the islands effects who can get the games on the mainland.  Here is to hoping San Jose rolls into that game undefeated and maybe somebody will pick it up.

Posted : November 2, 2020 10:38 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@nebish:  Here's a link to SJSU's schedule which shows that the Hawaii game is on Spectrum Sports.  I can only hope that channel is part of the package that I just ordered but at this point I have no idea.  As you see, by ordering CBS Sports Network in addition to San Diego State I also get their games vs. Fresno State and Nevada.  

https://sjsuspartans.com/sports/football/schedule

Posted : November 2, 2020 10:59 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@robslob I'm pretty sure the Spectrum Sports thing is a Hawaii network.  Being that you are local, maybe there is something in the upper-600 Directv channels or something in the 780-790 range that will have it for you, but I kind of doubt it.

I read that people local to Fresno were able to get the Hawaii-Fresno game on some local affiliate, but it was not available outside of whatever area they determined for Fresno only. If that is the case then maybe one of your local networks might have it.

Kind of funny in this day and age with so many options for watching sports and programming when it comes to games involving Hawaii, it is still pretty difficult.  Last year they had some games streamed through facebook, but I don't think they are doing that this year.

Posted : November 2, 2020 12:13 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@nebish:  I just looked, Spectrum Sports is channel 691 on Direct TV.  There's a soccer game on it right now so obviously I get it.  Since the Hawaii game is here in San Jose I'm assuming that I would get it.  Do you think?

Posted : November 2, 2020 12:41 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @robslob

@nebish:  I just looked, Spectrum Sports is channel 691 on Direct TV.  There's a soccer game on it right now so obviously I get it.  Since the Hawaii game is here in San Jose I'm assuming that I would get it.  Do you think?

I hope so! I get that channel as well, but when I go for the guide on Hawaii game days that aren't on a normal channel it has never shown up, but I think since you are local, and you said it is home, so there should be some option to see it.  I'll be curious when it rolls around.

I was really impressed with Hawaii's first game.  Although I couldn't watch the game, I saw highlights and went through the drive chart and box score.  They looked like the cold bothered them in Laramie and the fact they didn't have good practices while staying in Denver last week.  I think this Hawaii D has a chance to be as good as we have seen out of them.  And their O has changed quite a bit under Graham, I think that really caught Fresno by surprise. Tape is out there now, so teams will know what to expect.  Will be a great game....as I think pretty much all of them are!

Posted : November 2, 2020 12:50 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

So Scott, I see Indiana is ranked 13th. Michigan is 23rd. Michigan is favored AT Indiana. Any thoughts regarding that? 😮 

And when was the last time Indiana was favored over Michigan anyway? That would be a good trivia question. I have no clue.

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : November 2, 2020 5:23 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @lee

So Scott, I see Indiana is ranked 13th. Michigan is 23rd. Michigan is favored AT Indiana. Any thoughts regarding that? 😮 

And when was the last time Indiana was favored over Michigan anyway? That would be a good trivia question. I have no clue.

I have books that go back to the early 1990s. I'll look later. When was Anthony Thompson RB at IU?  Probably one of those years in Bloomington. I'll confirm. 

As for this game, usually an unranked team favored over a ranked team means take the favorite. WVU vs KSt from this past week comes to mind. Kind of an age old philosophy I heard once. I'm sure it doesn't always work that way. Another is buy low, sell high. Perception of Michigan being near or at an all time recent low and IU is 2-0. Sometimes picking games has nothing to do with matchups or story lines, it has to do with value. That is, if the value is valued properly 😉

Posted : November 2, 2020 9:14 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Line is Michigan favored and score is Michigan first.  I don't have odds prior to 1990.  Maybe IU has not been a favorite ever vs them in modern history?

1990 -8 45-19

1991 -18 24-16

1992 -18.5 31-3

1995 -15 34-17

1996 -23.5 27-20

1997 -20 37-0

1998 -14 21-10

1999 -16.5 34-31 (Tom Brady vs Antwaan Randle El)

2000 -15 58-0

2003 -33.5 31-17

2004 -15 35-14

2005 -25.5 41-14

2006 -19 34-3

2009 -19.5 36-33 (8 lead changes, UM game winning drive with 2:29 left.  Rich Rod's second of back-to-back losing seasons)

2010 -10 42-35 (5 ties, 6 lead changes, UM game winning TD with :17 left)

2013 -9.5 63-47

2014 -7 34-10

2015 -13 48-41 OT (Harbaugh first year, epic OT game)

2016 -24 20-10

2017 -7 27-20 OT (current IU HC Tom Allen's first year)

2018 -28.5 31-20 (UM trailed 15-17 HT)

2019 -9.5 39-14 (game was tied 14-14)

Indiana's last win in the series is 1987.

indiana michigan 1987

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/this-day-in-hoosier-history-october-24-1987-indiana-defeats-michigan/

Posted : November 3, 2020 10:28 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

I didn't research anything, maybe I will. I distinctly remember watching Indiana upsetting them in 1987. I came home from my job as a bag boy in a grocery store to catch the end of it. And yep, that picture you posted is from that game. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by Lee

Posted : November 3, 2020 9:42 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

MACtion was glorious!

We got two good games in Ohio-CMich and Ball-Miami-O.  A couple others were interesting.  BG-UT was pretty ugly.

Got the Border War tonight for the bronze boot and tomorrow is a great Friday of 3 game action.  All 3 Friday games are in the pick'em so you know.

Hey @stratdal - give us some UCLA stuff!  Go Bruins!

Posted : November 5, 2020 11:25 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

I've been to a few MAC games - my nephew was a big offensive lineman for Eastern Michigan - back when they really sucked.  Saw him play at Northern Illinois and Western Michigan.   He had tryouts with the Bengals and Jets, and one Canadian team, but didn't make it.

Posted : November 5, 2020 1:57 pm
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Noble Member

Posted by: @nebish

This Wednesday is going to be the best non-December 30th, 31st or January 1st college football Wednesday ever!

Every MAC team will be in action Wednesday on TV!! (one game is ESPN+ only).  And then Saturday we get the PAC 12!  Although, the PAC 12 games don't really get me too excited yet.  Cal has won back-to-back vs Washington.  Interested what happens there in Berkley.  Wazzou at Oregon St is a little interesting.

Strat!  Your Bruins, road favorites against Karl Dorral?!?

Yep.  CU's QB is a converted safety plus Karl Dorral is their coach.  Funny thing is his first game as UCLA's HC was against CU.  Of course, he screwed that one up by "forgetting Manual White".  White was a bruising FB that would have gotten tough yards in the second half when both teams were getting tired.  I was at the game and we all kept saying, "Where's White?".  Sadly, his statement was very foreboding considering his career.

If you haven't hear, the UW-Cal game has been canceled due to some players having positive covid tests.

Posted : November 5, 2020 4:51 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

If you haven't hear, the UW-Cal game has been canceled due to some players having positive covid tests.

I had only heard the speculation and fear.  You broke news for me to read on the WP!

One positive and apparently the contact tracing wiped out the depth chart as I understood it. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but there have been ACC, AAC, Big Xll, SEC and Sun Belt teams that played games with significant number of players out  remember, was it VT, Georgia Southern among others, they played games down 20 players in some weeks.

Anyway, whatever the conferences rules are I'm fine with.  Just a shame to lose that matchup.  I know you hate Kal, but me personally, I really like what Wilcox has built there.

I'll probably lay it with your boys Saturday in Boulder.

Posted : November 5, 2020 6:50 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@robslob

How about Nash on that TD drive!  D is playing lights out.  Hope Nash doesn't turn it over.  I was pretty worried about the O when Starkel left, but Nash looked like he finally settled in at the end.  Let's Go!

Posted : November 6, 2020 11:33 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Nice win for San Jose.  Real nice.  Played great!  A couple breaks going their way in the 2nd H (backwards pass on the sack and the fumbled punt), but hey, sometimes you get those breaks when you play all out and make it happen!  Spartan Up baby!  2020 cashcow!

Posted : November 7, 2020 1:28 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I live for days like this!

Posted : November 8, 2020 2:06 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

I offered my Michigan friends the thought of pooling our money and buy out the last year of Harbaugh's contract. They all agreed but I don't think we can swing it. 😕 

This post was modified 3 years ago by Lee

Posted : November 8, 2020 9:49 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

It's bad Lee.  For the first time Indiana had better players on the field.  I'm sure by some recruiting service somewhere Michigan has all the stars, but IU out played, out athleted and out coached Michigan.  As a fan of the Blue that must really suck.  I think some Michigan fans are past the point of caring.  You see Charles Woodson's tweet?

Posted : November 8, 2020 11:16 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Huskers ineptness in close games continues. Seven times in the red zone and 13 points. Very winnable game. Frost in his third year now, you'd expect if he can turn it around he would be by now. McCaffrey doesn't even see the field until the 4th quarter and then twice takes them the length of the field only to throw a really bad interception one of those times. Penn State in Lincoln next week (not that home games without fans is an advantage). We're not going to win with Martinez at QB, that's been apparent for 2 1/2 years. Put McCaffrey in at the start, give him the rest of this year to learn and mature. A big part of it though continues to be the coaching staff being outcoached. This isn't Central Florida or that conference anymore. Six losses in the last seven games, looks like one win or two this year. That doesn't cut it.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : November 8, 2020 12:48 pm
nebish reacted
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@nebish:   It's not a nice win nebish, it's a HUGE win for San Jose State.  I was at the San Diego State game in San Jose last year, it was clear that we were not EVEN in their league competition-wise.  My how things change in one year.  Starkel goes down on the opening drive, to be honest, I thought GAME OVER.  Second string QB Nick Nash was very rusty nearly all of the first half (understandably) but then he got it together.  He targeted TE Derrick Deese a LOT.  This was a breakout game not only for Nash but for Deese as well who looks like he will have an NFL career.  San Jose State 3-0?  This just does not happen, and they beat two very good teams to get there.  And yes, their defense is for REAL.  Brennan is really building something here.  I just hope he sticks around, Mike McIntyre used success at SJSU 5 years ago to get the big bucks at Colorado.

Posted : November 8, 2020 1:09 pm
nebish reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yup, Steve...Nebraska is just a broken record these last few years with Frost.  You could argue that the team on the field outplayed NW...as they have done in several games under Frost, outgain and appear to outplay the team on the field  yet come up short.

I'm not sure your feelings or the local sentiment, but I kind of felt this way when Rich Rod was at Michigan, I felt like Rodriguez was still recruiting the type of talent that West Virginia would target rather than Michigan.  And I kind of feel like Nebraska is doing the same thing.  In defense of Frost, we know how hard it is to get top talent to Lincoln in today's college football, I just expect them to have more impact difference makers than the likes of Northwestern, Minnesota, Purdue, etc...but reality is that Nebraska is no better or worse than a middle-tier Big Ten team and that isn't going to change.  Reality bites sometimes.

Glad the season is treating you well Rob.  I've thoroughly been enjoying this San Jose team.  I watched a lot of the Fresno-UNLV game.  I would not sleep on UNLV this week.  They have grown leaps and bounds since week 1 with Arroyo as coach.  Played really well for 3 quarters vs Fresno, then collapsed in the 4th.  QB Max Gilliam was setting himself up for MWC O POW honors, but they are learning how to win and kinda crumbled in the final quarter.  San Jose better in every facet, but this UNLV team is trying.  Spartans will need to play better than they did say vs New Mexico this week and avoid a flat spot here off big win.

Posted : November 8, 2020 1:50 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Anyone watch Toledo-Western Michigan?  MACtion at it's finest!

Posted : November 12, 2020 8:21 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

@nebish

I did. I was flipping between the Central Michigan game and Western as they were on at the same time. Was more interested in Central. For some reason I've always liked them but that game got out of hand suddenly so I went to the Western game. Quite entertaining. Gotta like The MAC Tuesday - Thursday. 😀 

Posted : November 12, 2020 10:27 pm
nebish reacted
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

@nebish - wow, 5 games for the pick 'em are cancelled .... 😟 

Posted : November 12, 2020 11:00 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @sang

@nebish - wow, 5 games for the pick 'em are cancelled .... 😟 

Yes.  There have been weeks were as many as 10 games were canceled before, but they were lower profile and didnt receive as much attention.  Some of the cancelations this week are big name teams so it's getting alot of buzz.  I always want to include more games in case we do lose some to cancelation, but then I think it was 2 weeks ago there were hardly any cancelations so then we would've had like almost 30 games that week and I figure that might be too many games where people don't have any background to even try and make an educated guess.

I think as of right now there are 11 total cancellations this week. But we've already had 7 games played and there are almost 50 total still this week, 48 if I remember right, 48 games involving FBS teams still being played.  Listening to ESPN they make it sound like hardly nobody is playing this week.  But I get that, they focus on the big name teams and games.

Just got to play the games that can be played and the ones that can't can't.  I don't have any interest or patience for all the hysteria on how conferences should pick title game participants or playoff teams or any of that.  There are 127 of 130 FBS teams playing football this fall, very very few of them will have a chance at their conference title and maybe 6 or 8 maybe will have a shot at being picked for the playoff.  I'm more focused on the other 121 to 119 teams.

Posted : November 13, 2020 1:14 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Cal and UCLA playing Sunday morning has to something never seen before.

https://sports.yahoo.com/utah-will-wait-to-open-the-2020-season-after-game-vs-ucla-gets-canceled-201022892.html

Posted : November 14, 2020 10:03 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I do remember the last time UCLA played in the Rose Bowl on a Sunday...I think all Bruin and Texas A&M fans will remember that one!

Last Sunday game I can recall was UConn-ECU.  Usually they are weather related. 

Not much out of strat.  UCLA looked like they were caught off guard to play football in Boulder!  Now you get hated Kal in a rescheduled game...Cal had one positive covid case and the county did the contact tracing, not the team, ruling about all their DL to quarantine.  Wilcox said due to their precautions not every contact would've had to quarantine but the county overruled him.  So they may be available to play tomorrow, but the DL hasn't practiced all week and obviously didn't play last week either.  DTR will like that.  Bruins going to toughen up a little this week vs the run?

Posted : November 14, 2020 12:00 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Michigan wins tonight

Posted : November 14, 2020 12:02 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @nebish

Michigan wins tonight

Yawn. Sadly, I've heard that story before. 😪 

Posted : November 14, 2020 5:18 pm
Page 7 / 13
Share: