College Football 2020

363 Posts
14 Users
18 Likes
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

You see Ohio State is up to 27.5?  Buckeyes must be free money or something.  Looking at 3 of the last 4, OSU did blow them out.  Last time Frost came to the 'Shoe with Huskers though it was closer than expected.

I am equally excited for the start of Big Ten and Mountain West football.  Probably my two favorite leagues.

How about Michigan was a small dog a couple weeks ago on the futures numbers, now up to -3.5 at Minny.  Minny supposedly dealing with missing some players, but that has been a story for so many teams, and really in almost every story where a team was without some players, even some key players, related to covid, it has rarely mattered.  Michigan's secondary appears a little shaky vs what can be a good Min passing game.  Then Michigan has their QB and OL questions as well.  Not sure how much I agree with them being 3.5 pt fav...although I was going to pick them in the game, just didn't expect to be laying the points.

Not sure if New Mexico - Colorado State will get played as NM has been dealing with suspended practices.  I don't think I've heard of any cancelations yet.

Posted : October 20, 2020 12:05 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

@nebish

I think even at that the play is OSU. Might be close for a half. Buckeyes are going to want "style points" (running it up) every game to make up ground in the polls etc. They won't let up and Martinez, if anything, has regressed the last several years. Locks onto one receiver and if not completely wide open takes off scrambling toward the nearest sideline. Even admitted in the off season that he wasn't as well prepared for games as he should have been. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

I think we get pasted worse than a first grade art project.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : October 20, 2020 2:41 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@Lee

This is the first week of the Big Ten in the pick'em and there is a game tonight.  I don't see your name on the list who has made picks yet.  This is your one time reminder - don't miss out!

Posted : October 23, 2020 7:08 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

@nebish

Been working too much to worry about it. Sorry.

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : October 23, 2020 8:52 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

But it is of course great that The Big Ten is back! 😀 

Posted : October 23, 2020 8:53 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

Hey @nebish - not that the tiebreaker really matters, but why does a college fb pool use a pro game for the tiebreaker?  Happened a couple of times now.

Posted : October 25, 2020 11:28 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

HUGE upset Saturday night in the Mountain West as my team, San Jose State, beat Air Force 17-6.  San Jose was 6th worse in the nation vs. the run last year and held one of the greatest rushing teams in the nation to 6 points which was a real shocker.  It was the San Jose State debut of QB Nick Starkel who spent his freshman and soph seasons at Texas A&M and last year at Arkansas.  He had a solid game.  HUGE win for San Jose State.  One of the announcers said that Starkel wanted to play at San Jose because of the great wide-outs and they have two, Tre Walker and Bailey Gaither.  That is a tradition at San Jose State and they have put plenty of wide receivers into the NFL.  Walker led the Mountain West in receiving last year.  This game was San Jose State's opener.  Air Force opened at Navy on 10/3 and blew them out 40-7.  Air Force had a 9 game winning streak going into this game.

Posted : October 26, 2020 9:26 am
nebish reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @sang

Hey @nebish - not that the tiebreaker really matters, but why does a college fb pool use a pro game for the tiebreaker?  Happened a couple of times now.

I have to change it each week and sometimes I miss it.

The leagues are set up to do NFL, NFL & college or just college, but for some reason the default tiebreaker is NFL Monday night.  So I have to manually change it each week and sometimes I don't get to it before they release the pick sheet.

Posted : October 26, 2020 12:41 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @robslob

HUGE upset Saturday night in the Mountain West as my team, San Jose State, beat Air Force 17-6.  San Jose was 6th worse in the nation vs. the run last year and held one of the greatest rushing teams in the nation to 6 points which was a real shocker.  It was the San Jose State debut of QB Nick Starkel who spent his freshman and soph seasons at Texas A&M and last year at Arkansas.  He had a solid game.  HUGE win for San Jose State.  One of the announcers said that Starkel wanted to play at San Jose because of the great wide-outs and they have two, Tre Walker and Bailey Gaither.  That is a tradition at San Jose State and they have put plenty of wide receivers into the NFL.  Walker led the Mountain West in receiving last year.  This game was San Jose State's opener.  Air Force opened at Navy on 10/3 and blew them out 40-7.  Air Force had a 9 game winning streak going into this game.

Yes!

I love San Jose State football!  Big fan of what Brennan is doing there.

How about that goal line stand in the first half!  Epic!  Then they stopped the QB again on that 2pt play. 

Safe to say the time in Humbolt was well spent!!

I had a 50 for 103 ML on SJ plus the ATS.  Awesome win!

Gaither is great, but how about Derek Deese TD catch.  Rivaled the OSU TD catch from earlier in the day and then Poljan for Virginia had a similar catch.  The body control these guys have now with their toes and the bodies completely extended to the max is amazing. 

Keep it going Spartan Up!

Posted : October 26, 2020 12:45 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@nebish:  Yeah, then add in Derrick Deese and we have three big time targets for Nick Starkel.  Then you add in the way their defense played and I am really optimistic about 2020.  Nice to see another SJSU fan here!  The stadium is 5 miles from my place, wish I could go over there but not even limited capacity is being allowed.

Posted : October 26, 2020 1:00 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@nebish:  Yeah, then add in Derrick Deese and we have three big time targets for Nick Starkel.  Then you add in the way their defense played and I am really optimistic about 2020.  Nice to see another SJSU fan here!  The stadium is 5 miles from my place, wish I could go over there but not even limited capacity is being allowed.

It's crazy the leveled that entire hillside where they took the stands out.  I remember last year it was a nice grassy hill, now it's all flat.  I assume they are building some facility there?

Mountain West football is awesome.  My two favorite leagues are Big Ten and Mountain West.  And of course I like all the leagues, but I like those two the best.

And don't forget, next Wednesday is going to be a fantastic night, que up 'Return of the Mac'!

What are the chances that game at New Mexico happens this week?

Posted : October 26, 2020 1:03 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@nebish:  

"It's crazy the leveled that entire hillside where they took the stands out.  I remember last year it was a nice grassy hill, now it's all flat.  I assume they are building some facility there?"

I attended the San Diego State game last year so I saw that.  I was told that they are remodeling the stadium and that's why.  It's got to be one of the older stadiums in Division I so not surprising.  Good place to see a ballgame though, you can sit in the upper deck (opposite side from where they removed the stands) for $25, great viewing spot, and as mentioned it's 5 miles from me.  Seen many a great ballgame there.  So many great players have passed through SJSU and let's not forget Bill Walsh and Dick Vermeil are alumni.  Jack Elway (John's Dad) coached there many moons ago.

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by robslob

Posted : October 26, 2020 1:13 pm
nebish reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Big Ten's 21 day rule for a positive covid result about to get tested.  After a record setting night for Wisconsin QB Graham Mertz, he tested positive I think it was Sunday.

I do not know yet if the Big Ten allows the ability to test out of a positive like the SEC did, if Mertz test happened to be a false positive, I don't know if the 21 day absence from football activities still must be adhered to or if forthcoming negative results can clear a player.  I tend to think the way the Big Ten has this set up, that a positive test means 21 days out no matter what happens after the initial positive.  More on this will come out this week.

Nobody has a 21 day rule.  I think CDC and most state health departments range from 10 to 14 days following a positive.  Everyone knew this was going to be difficult, just got harder for Wisconsin.

So their #1 QB had offseason surgery, Mertz now and his backup had a positive test, that would put Wisconsin down to their 4th string QB.  Then I'm sure after that they'd be on some kind of kid that played QB in HS but has since moved to another skill position.

The Circa opener was Wisconsin-11 at Nebraska.  That has steadily come down to 9.5 to 7.5 yesterday to 3.5 this morning.

Really, I didn't hate how Nebraska played.  They left a couple plays out there that would've mattered in the final margin potentially...clearly they are outmanned and a few rungs down the totem pole on talent to Ohio State, but I think they played better than the 52-17 score implies.  I was liking them vs Wisconsin even before Mertz.  Illinois lack of defense just let Mertz carve them up.  I thought Wisconsin's run game looked less explosive and not to their typical standards and their skill at receiver at skill looked fairly average other than maybe an all Big Ten caliber TE.

Couple targeting penalties will have Huskers short handed in the first half this week, is that correct oldcoot?  Then their TE, is it Stotlz?  Looked like he had a bad injury?

Hey Lee - Harbaugh and Michigan going to pound Sparty this week or what?  Nice to see Northwestern score some points in a game for a change right, but man, I think Maryland looked really really bad.  NW at Iowa looks pretty good this week.

Posted : October 27, 2020 11:15 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

New Mexico is going to travel to San Jose for the game.  Coronavirus cases in UNM's home county are pretty bad right now, so coming there for a game was a bad idea.  The situation appears better in Santa Clara County, so San Jose hosts the game.

Now the Wisconsin-Nebraska game is off as I'm sure everyone has heard.  Nebraska wants to play a game, it's not their fault that Wisconsin is having issues and can't play.  Nebraska and University of Tennessee Chattanooga begin talks behind the scenes to potentially have UTC travel to Lincoln Saturday for a game.  But the Big Ten has to approve it.  Reports are the Big Ten says no.  Hey Big Ten....go get ******!  What harm is it for Nebraska to replace a canceled opponent with an out of league game of their own making?  Pisses me off, damn meddling control freaks.

Posted : October 29, 2020 11:06 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Well, about halfway through another NCAA week and Snag is solidly in last place. 😋 

Posted : October 31, 2020 8:37 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

I almost thought about switching all my picks after I made them - maybe I should have..... Laugh  

Posted : October 31, 2020 9:15 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

And yet I still finished ahead of Lee this week ....  Grinning Grinning Grinning  

Posted : October 31, 2020 11:54 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

I almost thought about switching all my picks after I made them - maybe I should have..... Laugh  

I was in an NFL pool years ago, money on the line, and my friend was so pissed at how he was doing that he did that. Don't recall if it helped or not.

Posted : November 1, 2020 6:53 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Along those lines, one year I had a bad year the previous year. REALLY bad. So I was watching something with one of those betting "gurus" and he says in the NFL (not college at all), always take a home underdog. Always. Don't waver. Don't think about it. The other picks you are on your own. 

So I did it and won the whole damn pool. 😮 

Posted : November 1, 2020 6:57 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

And yet I still finished ahead of Lee this week ....  Grinning Grinning Grinning  

Just wondering if you can beat Swampfox in the NFL pool. 😉 🤑 

Posted : November 1, 2020 7:17 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

San Jose State 38 New Mexico 21.  SJSU starts the year 2-0 for the first time in 33 years.  QB Nick Starkel of SJSU:  34-47, 467 yards, 5 TD's, 0 INT's.  Wowie that's a game folks and I don't care who it was done against.  He completed passes to 7 different receivers.  And Starkel proved he's got big balls.  He took a nasty late hit just before halftime and was still walking gimpy after the half.  Then he walks out there and torches NM all over again.

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by robslob

Posted : November 1, 2020 8:45 am
nebish reacted
DanB
 DanB
(@danb)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @lee

Just wondering if you can beat Swampfox in the NFL pool. 😉 🤑 

I forgot about that 

Posted : November 1, 2020 1:47 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

You forget a lot of things - like how does someone pick 39.6 as a tiebreaker for total points scored?  Amazed Grinning  

Posted : November 1, 2020 4:35 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

San Jose State 38 New Mexico 21.  SJSU starts the year 2-0 for the first time in 33 years.  QB Nick Starkel of SJSU:  34-47, 467 yards, 5 TD's, 0 INT's.  Wowie that's a game folks and I don't care who it was done against.  He completed passes to 7 different receivers.  And Starkel proved he's got big balls.  He took a nasty late hit just before halftime and was still walking gimpy after the half.  Then he walks out there and torches NM all over again.

I had them -13.5.  New Mexico was more feisty than I anticipated, San Jose had to front door that cover late in the game.  How about that TD catch by...was it Gaither?  Again refs ruled it out at first before replay, it was yet another incredible TD reception these players are able to make every week (they make them better than Ruggs did for the Raiders today at Cleveland).

Tougher game this week at San Diego State.  Always a tough team to trust those Aztecs.  Played a great 1st H last week vs UNLV then laid an egg in the 2nd H.  Yesterday they were sloppy in the 1st H at Utah St and then throttled them in the 2nd H.  Which SD St team shows up?  Is San Jose ready for this version of SD St?  San Jose is double digit dog I saw!

Posted : November 1, 2020 8:20 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

This Wednesday is going to be the best non-December 30th, 31st or January 1st college football Wednesday ever!

Every MAC team will be in action Wednesday on TV!! (one game is ESPN+ only).  And then Saturday we get the PAC 12!  Although, the PAC 12 games don't really get me too excited yet.  Cal has won back-to-back vs Washington.  Interested what happens there in Berkley.  Wazzou at Oregon St is a little interesting.

Strat!  Your Bruins, road favorites against Karl Dorral?!?

Posted : November 1, 2020 8:22 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Boy did Meeechigan lay an egg Saturday. Folks are calling for Harbaugh's head. Of course they have been for several years. Didn't watch a play of the game live but I have since seen enough of it. I took MSU and the points. Didn't think there was any way the Spartans could turn the ball over seven times in consecutive weeks. And even as much of a Meeechigan fan as I am, I have known for a long time you always take the opponent when they are giving a lot of points. They rarely cover large spreads. Been that way for years.

Posted : November 2, 2020 8:05 am
DanB
 DanB
(@danb)
Prominent Member

You forget a lot of things - like how does someone pick 39.6 as a tiebreaker for total points scored?  Amazed Grinning  

its called winning 

Posted : November 2, 2020 8:10 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @danb

its called winning 

Don't argue with him. Just tell him you were going for 3/5 of a touchdown or something. 😛 

Posted : November 2, 2020 8:16 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @nebish

This Wednesday is going to be the best non-December 30th, 31st or January 1st college football Wednesday ever!

Every MAC team will be in action Wednesday on TV!! (one game is ESPN+ only).  

This is great! I really like the smaller conferences playing on Tuesdays & Wednesdays. I guess I am being greedy but it's cool to get the opportunity to watch football during mid-week. Plus as a midwestern guy, I like watching The MAC. 😀 

Posted : November 2, 2020 8:36 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

@nebish:  It was Tre Walker who made that incredible end zone catch for a TD.  Yes, refs ruled him out of bounds; Walker seemed to be the only one on the field who knew it was a TD and he argued vehemently.  They reviewed it and yeah, he had a foot down while controlling the ball.  SJSU has two incredible wide-outs, Walker and Gaither.  

Yes, the San Diego State game on Friday is a huge test for us and will show if we can hang with the Big Boys (we already beat a good Air Force team though).  I actually added a Sports Package including CBS Sports Network to my Direct TV package just for this game (SJSU's previous two games were on Fox Sports Network).  Was only $8.99/month so I figured it was worth it and I get a bunch of other channels.  Can't miss this one!

Posted : November 2, 2020 10:19 am
Page 6 / 13
Share: