Biden picks Kamala Harris for VP

75 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@jerry

I'll repeat for you - taxes from everyone, not just white people, including Kamala Harris.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : September 5, 2020 8:50 am
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member

Posted by: @porkchopbob

@jerry

I'll repeat for you - taxes from everyone, not just white people, including Kamala Harris.

Why should everyone pay for reparations through taxes?  There are millions that are US citizens that have immigrated here, plenty from Africa and the Caribbean islands.

Why should they pay for what happened 150+ years ago, especially when they may have been slaves themselves during that period?

Posted : September 5, 2020 5:38 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @jerry

@jerry

Why should everyone pay for reparations through taxes?  There are millions that are US citizens that have immigrated here, plenty from Africa and the Caribbean islands.

Why should they pay for what happened 150+ years ago, especially when they may have been slaves themselves during that period?

No one in this thread said they should, Jerry. I said you shouldn't take it personally when they ask because it's not directed at your actions, and it doesn't really have any bearing on Kamala Harris's Jamaican ancestor.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : September 5, 2020 5:49 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member

@jerry

No one in this thread said they should, Jerry. I said you shouldn't take it personally when they ask because it's not directed at your actions, and it doesn't really have any bearing on Kamala Harris's Jamaican ancestor.

I'm not taking it personal, far from it.  These are questions that will be asked as the reparations process goes forward.  

Yes, it does have a bearing on her, even if it was in Jamaica.  If the descendants of slave owners are going to be held responsible for their predecessors actions, why would Harris be any different?  He bought slaves from Africa, fought against the abolition of slavery in Jamaica, was charged by the Jamaican government for his mistreatment of his slaves, and joined a KKK like movement in Jamaica.

So explain why a BLM type movement would give her a pass, and not descendants of slave owners here in the US?

Posted : September 5, 2020 6:15 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Yes, it does have a bearing on her, even if it was in Jamaica.  If the descendants of slave owners are going to be held responsible for their predecessors actions, why would Harris be any different?  He bought slaves from Africa, fought against the abolition of slavery in Jamaica, was charged by the Jamaican government for his mistreatment of his slaves, and joined a KKK like movement in Jamaica.

So explain why a BLM type movement would give her a pass, and not descendants of slave owners here in the US?

You haven't mentioned any other single persons that are being held accountable for their ancestor's actions, only a few who are discussing holding the federal government accountable (and as we covered, everyone pays taxes including Harris). Where do you make the leap that people would hold Harris, who is also half Indian, accountable for her a single ancestor? There is no pass to be given.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : September 5, 2020 6:41 pm
BIGV
 BIGV
(@bigv)
Famed Member

Where do you make the leap that people would hold Harris, who is also half Indian, accountable for her a single ancestor? There is no pass to be given.

Is not that the whole idea behind reparations? Holding today's citizen financially responsible for what happened hundreds of years ago? 

Posted : September 10, 2020 12:32 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@bigv

Is not that the whole idea behind reparations? Holding today's citizen financially responsible for what happened hundreds of years ago?

no.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : September 10, 2020 12:35 pm
BIGV
 BIGV
(@bigv)
Famed Member

@bigv

no.

Interesting...Then who is being held responsible financially?

Posted : September 10, 2020 12:37 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@bigv Did you feel responsible for reparations to Japanese-Americans for their internment in camps during WWII? Or towards Native American reservations? Do you feel responsible for every Federal dollar distributed? I don't, but maybe you have a heavier conscience. Also, read back, this was already discussed. Asked and answered.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : September 10, 2020 12:41 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member

@bigv Did you feel responsible for reparations to Japanese-Americans for their internment in camps during WWII? Or towards Native American reservations? Do you feel responsible for every Federal dollar distributed? I don't, but maybe you have a heavier conscience. Also, read back, this was already discussed. Asked and answered.

That didn't answer BigVs question.  I'll ask one more specific.

Do you believe that reparations should come from the federal tax fund that is paid  into by white, black, Latino, and Asian citizens?

Posted : September 12, 2020 4:44 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@jerry Yes it did answer. Go back and read my last few responses, this conversation is in a really dumb loop. (hint: I never said I supported reparations, I only explained the fact that they would be paid by the Federal government and that's not just white folks).

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : September 12, 2020 4:50 pm
BIGV
 BIGV
(@bigv)
Famed Member

@jerry Yes it did answer. Go back and read my last few responses, this conversation is in a really dumb loop. (hint: I never said I supported reparations, I only explained the fact that they would be paid by the Federal government and that's not just white folks).

" paid by the Federal government"....In other words, the Taxpayers, which is me. Reparations is the biggest pile of dung to come down the road I have ever seen. Funny, when one mentions the History of the Democratic Party and its origins and links to the support of slavery, the left counters with "That is ancient history"!...but in the next breath can claim that there is a shared "responsibility" in making reparations....and that it will be paid by the Federal government...

Holy cow

Posted : September 12, 2020 10:04 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

but in the next breath can claim that there is a shared "responsibility" in making reparations

Where in the Democratic platform does it say this? What Democratic candidate supports this?

https://www.politico.com/2020-election/candidates-views-on-the-issues/economy/reparations/

Democratic Party and its origins and links to the support of slavery,

This is not entirely accurate. Slavery had been an institution from the birth of the country, decades prior to the formation of the Democratic Party.

The Democratic Party originated out of the Democratic-Republican Party split in 1828 by Andrew Jackson, who viewed the central government as the enemy of individual liberty. Its formation didn't have anything to do with slavery.

The Democratic Party was split under regional lines during the Civil War, it wasn't a party issue. Many anti-slavery Democrats switch to the new Republican Party during the Civil War, just as many southern anti-Civil Rights Democrats switched to the Republican Party in the 1960s. So basically none of it is the same 150 years later so it's folly to compare unless you're going to look at everything in context, including the architects of the Constitution.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : September 13, 2020 11:47 am
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member

it's not a loop, except in the answers you are giving.

So here is the best question I can ask that might get a proper response rather than a looping of the same phrase or bounced back by another question.

In YOUR OPINION. why would money paid into the tax fund by those whose families were not here anytime during slavery be used to pay reparations?

Remember that millions of US citizens are descendants of those who came in from 1870 to the present day.

I am going to answer your question about the Japanese-American reparations.  The money was to make up for homes, businesses, farms, machinery, boats, cars, trucks, and other personal items they lost due to their interment.  They had to virtually give away their property when sent to the camps.  I did support those reparations.

Posted : September 15, 2020 2:13 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@jerry It's a loop because I already specifically said I don't support financial reparations for slavery (9/4 11:08am, and again 9/12 4:50pm). You don't need to ask yet again. I already answered this question in this thread. I don't know why you keep asking, but I'm glad you now see it's not just "today's whites" who would be paying.

Plenty of tax payers in 1988 were not US citizens during WWII and had their tax money re-allocated to Japanese-American victims of internment (which you supported without feeling responsible for, which was the actual question). Again, it's not about whose tax money. The Federal government allocates money for all sorts of things that don't specifically affect you or me, nor are they items which we should feel responsible for. In our system we cannot pick and choose how it is spent. Japanese-Americans directly affected by interment were still alive when they received reparations 40 years later. The difficulty with reparations for slavery is the line of decent is so complicated 160 years later, I don't think it is feasible or how it can even be quantified since they were considered property at the time.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : September 15, 2020 2:50 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: